Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Are we using zinc oxide sunscreens in a pro-aging way?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Poll :: Will this change your zinc oxide sunscreen habits?

Nope - Unlike Ocean Blue, I understand chemistry and I'm not bothered
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Maybe - Now I feel uncertain about a product I used to love. Thanks Ocean Blue!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes - I have PayPal open in another tab as we speak, buying new sunscreen
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other - I am too mentally exhausted by the choices to even think about this, and figure that any kind of sunscreen is better than nothing
85%
 85%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 7

Ocean Blue

Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
I'm not sure whether I should be posting this in the DIY forums, but if no-one knows here, I might cross-post.

Basically, I stumbled across an EDS thread (which the forums won't let me post), which made me question whether we are using natural zinc oxide sunscreens in a pro-aging manner:

I’m not a DIYer, so a lot of it went over my head, but basically it seems that acids like green tea and l-ascorbic acid must be combined with chelators when used in formulations with metal ions, or the formulation becomes pro-oxidant and thus pro-aging.

Natural companies strive to keep products free of weird-sounding chemicals and I have yet to see a natural zinc oxide sunscreen which includes chelators like disodium EDTA.

My current sunscreen, Devita, which is popular amongst EDSers, is a pretty typical example of this. It contains metal ions i.e. uncoated zinc and copper gluconate and acids i.e. green tea and magnesium ascorbyl phosphate (converted to l-ascorbic acid in the skin). Even if the formulations vary i.e. iron oxides for tinting, many people also use green tea, l-ascorbic acid serum e.t.c. under uncoated zinc oxide sunscreens.

I'm going to email Devita and ask them if any of their ingredients act as natural chelators. If not, I'm wondering if I should switch to a semi-natural brand, which uses zinc oxide in conjunction with artificial chelators.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:36 pm      Reply with quote
Can you add another reply:

- I am too mentally exhausted by the choices to even think about this, and figure that any kind of sunscreen is better than nothing!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:38 pm      Reply with quote
Put me down as OTHER too!

Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:43 pm      Reply with quote
I tried to add it but it wouldn't let me; apparently newbies can't be trusted with the privilege of four line polls! Laughing

Chalk me up for confused and a bit exhausted as well. I just bought a load of niacinamide products, just to read that some people think that niacinamide is "silently" pro-aging in the long run, despite short term benefits. Gah!

At this rate I seem to be spending money so that I can look like a prune in the not so distant future...
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:52 pm      Reply with quote
I voted other as well. Smile

I think the best way to get around this is to use chelated serums and moisturizers, and then put an anhydrous zinc oxide sunscreen over it. That way, even IF there are ions generated from uncoated zo, all the green tea/vitamin C/other goodies will already be absorbed into your skin when this happens.

Besides, I prefer to make my own sunscreens, and I don't know how to balance it's ph in water. (I prefer to use uncoated zinc oxide for mine.)
Ocean Blue

Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:37 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the great reply Chlorophyll, you've certainly given me more to think about. Very Happy

"Other" does certainly seem to be the most popular option here. Wink

Could some clever DIYer please kindly explain what an anhydrous zinc sunscreen is?

Also, do you think that we could just mix some disodium EDTA into shop bought sunscreen, or is it more complicated than that?

Does anyone have a list of common chelators?
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Anhydrous means it contains absolutely no water. (I don't think the term has any special significance when being used to describe a sunscreen, lol.)
Ocean Blue

Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:44 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for answering!

I guess it's confusing to me because sunscreens aren't really made with water, but they do get made with watery ingredients like aloe vera gel.

I seem to be using the word confusing a lot these days.
Confused
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
It is pretty confusing. I read the problem with Devita is that it is micronized and doesn't really scatter UV effectively.
Ocean Blue

Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
I thought micronized zinc was supposed to be a good filter.

Maybe you're confusing micronized zinc with the controversies about nano zinc?

Could you post a link?
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:33 am      Reply with quote
I chose the last time because we have so many sunscreens out there promising this and that and not delivering what it says it will do. I am confused too, mind you! But using any sunscreen is better than no sunscreen at all....
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:11 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |