Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
sebaceous hyperplasia
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Kath91
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:18 pm      Reply with quote
mike4311 wrote:
Hey everyone, coming from this thread: www(dot)essentialdayspa(dot)com/forum/viewthread(dot)php?p=6495420#6495420

Is this sebaceous hyperplasia?
It seems like it so far.

If it is, then I can tell you:
- Single Needling w/ Super CP serum did not work. It did make it scab a little bit and for a moment it seemed like it was getting better, but once it recovered, it came back healthy and bigger than ever(not a good thing at all).
- Dermarolling did not work.
- I been on differen for over 4 years now, they control my acne but no effect on SH.
- SmoothBeam absolutely DOES NOT work. Wasted so much money with that treatment.
- Tca and other type of chemical peel also did not work.

I'm gonna try TCA cross on one of them, other than that, I am purely STUCK.

As for other derms and laser treatments, no one in my area could give me a reasonable solution.

mike4311, heres the post Bethany linked to your photo -- hope it helps
bethany wrote:
Pic is here on a thread he did at acne.org

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/topic/307905-ways-to-get-rid-of-these-bumpsdots-on-my-nose/
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:46 am      Reply with quote
Yes, that is basically my consensus. The only thing that has ever worked is Accutane at a low dose for several months.
I am going in to my derm on Monday to get back on it. Not for everyone but works for me!

Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:21 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Kath.

Glad it works for you Annie, im just scared of all the side effects.

Anyway, I'll let you guys know if TCA Cross does anything, it's "suppose" to help.
havana8

Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
This is an interesting bit from a response shared by Mew in another thread from the Psoria Gold people:

Quote:
As far as the larger pores, that is due to both inflammation of the pore opening, causing the pores to swell and appear larger. This will improve over time as long there are aren't other factors contributing to the swelling such as sebaceous hyperplasia which is swelling of the pores due to lactose intolerance and/or over production of oil due to stress, alcohol, and hormonal changes.

I googled Dr. Heng who created the Psoria Gold product and found a similar comment in a paper from the Journal of Cosmetics, Dermatological Sciences and Applications:

6) Lactose Intolerance: Lactose intolerance was suspected to be present when there was perianal erythema or dermatitis. In addition, symptoms of constipation, diarrhea, hemorrhoids, diverticulitis, colitis, known colon polyps, sebaceous hyperplasia and mild acanthosis nigricans were also considered likely presumptive evidence for lactose intolerance.

Also, this from their website:

Quote:
You may have unwanted redness on your cheeks, nose, forehead or chin. It may be associated with pustules or enlargement of the oil glands (sebaceous hyperplasia). If associated with dark rings around the eyes, thickened skin around the neck or axilla, and/or skin tags and/or multiple warty appearances on the trunk, the underlying problem may be lactose intolerance.

The lactose in the colon interferes with the colonic bacteria which usually resides in the colon to digest cellulose, which is not digested easily by most people. The dying bacteria generate stress proteins which incite an immune reaction. The inflammatory response results in secretion of cytokines, such as TNF-alpha, which cause sensitivity to the sun. This may result in unwanted redness of the skin in the sun-exposed areas, as well as unwanted rosy, blotchy, appearance of the skin.

I know that food intolerances often appear and/or get worse as we grow older. Has anyone with SH tried eliminating dairy from their diet?
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 01, 2013 4:23 pm      Reply with quote
Following is some good info posted by mew in another thread, it discusses reasons for SH:

mew wrote:
Hi again, I got a reply from Dr Heng this morning. She said that in addition to laser damage I also have "Sebaceous hyperplasia". I thought I'd share what Dr Heng said about this because anyone with large pores may also have the same problem. This is what Dr Heng said about it:
"The sebaceous hyperplasia ( i.e. overgrowth of oil glands) has the appearance of large pores (follicles) surrounded by yellowish oil glands. These stick out like pebbles embedded in mud. The "mud" (tissues around the oil glands) are more easily damaged by the laser therapy than the oil glands themselves - the resulting scarring causes shrinkage of the "mud", causing the "pebbles" (oil glands) to stick out,
Sebaceous hyperplasia (overgrowth of oil glands) is mainly due to lactose intolerance. Since human milk contain galactose and not lactose (meant for cows), humans essentially lose their ability to digest lactose after the age of 5 years because of loss of lactase secreted by the intestines. The undigested lactose spills into the colon and increases the osmotic pressure in the colon. This kills off the colonic bacteria, which release LPS (lipopolysaccharides) from their cell membranes. LPS is a superantigen (like poison oak) and stimulate the colonic inflammatory cells to make large amounts of cytokines (TNFalpha - which makes you photosensitive, and cause rosacea and a greater tendency to sun-damage and photoaging), and growth factors (transforming growth factor alpha or TGFalpha - which cause the oil glands to grow, resulting in sebaceous hyperplasia."

Dr Heng says a lactose free diet can help shrink the oil glands and in turn the pores will appear smaller. I'm going to give it a go. I will miss milk in my coffee but it'll be worth it is I can shrink these nasty pores!
Kath91
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 01, 2013 6:37 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
Following is some good info posted by mew in another thread, it discusses reasons for SH:

mew wrote:
Hi again, I got a reply from Dr Heng this morning. She said that in addition to laser damage I also have "Sebaceous hyperplasia". I thought I'd share what Dr Heng said about this because anyone with large pores may also have the same problem. This is what Dr Heng said about it:
"The sebaceous hyperplasia ( i.e. overgrowth of oil glands) has the appearance of large pores (follicles) surrounded by yellowish oil glands. These stick out like pebbles embedded in mud. The "mud" (tissues around the oil glands) are more easily damaged by the laser therapy than the oil glands themselves - the resulting scarring causes shrinkage of the "mud", causing the "pebbles" (oil glands) to stick out,
Sebaceous hyperplasia (overgrowth of oil glands) is mainly due to lactose intolerance. Since human milk contain galactose and not lactose (meant for cows), humans essentially lose their ability to digest lactose after the age of 5 years because of loss of lactase secreted by the intestines. The undigested lactose spills into the colon and increases the osmotic pressure in the colon. This kills off the colonic bacteria, which release LPS (lipopolysaccharides) from their cell membranes. LPS is a superantigen (like poison oak) and stimulate the colonic inflammatory cells to make large amounts of cytokines (TNFalpha - which makes you photosensitive, and cause rosacea and a greater tendency to sun-damage and photoaging), and growth factors (transforming growth factor alpha or TGFalpha - which cause the oil glands to grow, resulting in sebaceous hyperplasia."

Dr Heng says a lactose free diet can help shrink the oil glands and in turn the pores will appear smaller. I'm going to give it a go. I will miss milk in my coffee but it'll be worth it is I can shrink these nasty pores!

yeah, just saw that on another thread ^^ and posted a question there -- now seeing it again, makes me just really super-curious
(esp. my ^^ underlined)

(re-post) i wrote:
wow..that's quite a heavy-duty medical synopsis --
"i don't have large pores, or any skin conditions or damages, but i wonder, based on
this dr's rec, whether the caution includes eliminating yogurt from one's diet. I just luv yogurt alot"
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 02, 2013 2:50 am      Reply with quote
I've been tested for lactose intolerance and I don't have it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 02, 2013 7:41 am      Reply with quote
I have been a huge dairy nut all my life. I never even had the SH until after my hysterectomy though.
I went to an acupuncture/homeopathic person for testing a few years back and hormones along with my reg. blood work up, but lactose intolerance was not an issue for me.
It might for some, but not my trigger.
I ended up not going on Accutane right now until my cholesterol goes back down. But I did increase my Vitamin A and they have almost completely disappeared between that and my Excel Laser.

Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:47 am      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
Not sure if you've seen this paper: http://www.epionce.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/6_ClinicalStudy_EpionceReducesSebaceousHyperplasia.pdf

Just adding these related posts shared by Bethany in case others want to give it a try:

bethany wrote:
Regarding my BIL who is using the Lytic Plus on his sebaceous hyperplasia....my sister swears she is already seeing some improvement with his bumps. Shock

bethany wrote:
An update on my BIL's sebaceous hyperplasia...he had 3 large ones,and they have already declined so much (and quickly) that my sister decided to not make him get them lasered off. I am just glad that the Lytic Plus worked for him, so I didn't have to hear about it if it failed!
biogeek
5% products discount

Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
A huge thanks for posting all the links to papers regarding sebaceous hyperplasia as well as other treatments!

I have tons of the suckers on my face...well, ok, more like 50, but some are HUGE! My derm prescribed Retin-A to help keep down the oil production, but the SH's are still around after being on Retin-A for a couple of years now.

Last month, I decided to treat myself to a hydrofacial. That didn't help my SH's (felt good though!), but they had both a Lamprobe and a ThermoLo available and the add-on treatment to my facial was $25!!! I went for it!

The esthetician told me that her clients preferred the ThermoLo because the machine was less "stingy" than the Lamprobe. All I have to say was the ThermoLo Hurt Like Hell!!!!

She treated a majority of my spots: forehead, cheeks, temples, lower jaw. She didn't treat the ones on my nose.

After the treatment, my spots were red, like I had a severe case of acne. I was told to keep
vasaline or neosporin on my spots twice a day. Some of the spots developed a scab, which then fell off leaving a much smoother surface. The big ones are still there, but are much smaller.

I go back for my second treatment mid-Oct, so will report back on it's success or not.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
Biogeek - all the best with your treatments. Keep us updated.

After your skin has settled back down you might like to consider doing a weekly 65% Lactic Acid Peel - I think they're very helpful for keep over-oil production in check.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:58 am      Reply with quote
not sure if this has been linked before, but there is before n after photos of someone who had great improvement of SH via single needling ( 2nd post from top):

http://forums.owndoc.com/dermarolling-microneedling/sebaceous-hyperplasia/

I have not done it as I dont have SH, I get occasional milia spots, I may try on em!

Btw, she didnt post again, so not sure if the improvement lasted or was just temporary.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:16 am      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
not sure if this has been linked before, but there is before n after photos of someone who had great improvement of SH via single needling ( 2nd post from top):

I have not done it as I dont have SH, I get occasional milia spots, I may try on em!

Btw, she didnt post again, so not sure if the improvement lasted or was just temporary.

I've been needling for some years now - and I still have SH, although vastly improved. I also "operate" on my lumps regularly - pricking, squeezing etc etc and I have found that they always come back. Maybe that's why she didn't post again!

I've also had the lumps lasered and they've also reappeared. SH seems to require constant, ongoing treatment.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:31 am      Reply with quote
daler wrote:

Wow! Very brilliant results. I will do this to one I have by the side of my eye, and see what happens re. The issue of Reoccurance. Thanks for the link, daler.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:33 am      Reply with quote
Keliu, do your some back in the same spot, over and over, or is it just a general issue that doesnt go away? I have about three stubborn ones, two of which Reaura is diminishing radically.
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:57 am      Reply with quote
Whats the difference between milia and sebaceous hyperplasia?

Anyone knows this?I know milia is supposed to be like small bumps under the eye region.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:38 am      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
daler wrote:

Wow! Very brilliant results. I will do this to one I have by the side of my eye, and see what happens re. The issue of Reoccurance. Thanks for the link, daler.

you are welcome catski! pls keep us updated re your results if you try this.
Alexya
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:44 pm      Reply with quote
I have SH and it is really broken out right now, so I am on here looking for sympathy and company LOL . The difference in the two is, milia is a small hardened bit of material in a pore (the word milia means "seed". ) If you took a needle you could actually remove the milia "seed" from the skin. Sebaceous hyperplasia is an enlargement ("hyperplasia") of the oil gland , so it is just a huge oil gland under the skin producing a flood of oil. That's not a scientific explanation but it should explain the difference. This flood of oil causes a swelling that looks like a volcano, a raised area like a pimple, but it has a dent in the middle instead of a whitehead.
Nanci at NCN told me that she recommended single needling with a stronger copper peptide, but I trust the anecdotal evidence reported here that it didn't work for them. If anyone has had any success with anything, please post it!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
catski wrote:
Keliu, do your some back in the same spot, over and over, or is it just a general issue that doesnt go away? I have about three stubborn ones, two of which Reaura is diminishing radically.

They come back in the same spot. I've been absolutely brutal in my dealings with SH - I haven't held back with anything. But the condition remains. I think Alexya's explanation of the problem is helpful - the issue is with the oil gland itself. Maybe it's damaged or malformed - so whether it can actually be fixed, I don't really know.

But, I feel that I have my SH under control, in the sense that they are all still there but not really that noticeable. I think that's the best I can hope for. Anything that curbs oil production is the answer, whether it's the ReAura, Retin-A, Acid Peels etc. etc.

5% products discount

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you, Keliu!! I will look for 65% lactic acid peel supplies. Do you make it yourself or do you buy it already made? I'm determined to get rid of all these SHs!!!!
biogeek
5% products discount

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:51 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for posting that link, daler! I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try needling myself, but her before and after photos are something else!!
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
biogeek wrote:
Thank you, Keliu!! I will look for 65% lactic acid peel supplies. Do you make it yourself or do you buy it already made? I'm determined to get rid of all these SHs!!!!

Go here: http://www.makeupartistschoice.com/65-Lactic-Acid-Kits_p_36.html

This site has great information on peels so make sure you check it out.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
OK I reread this thread and couldn't find where someone mentioned using lactic peels but there is a lot going on here at the moment.
Was someone recommending 65% lactic peels for them?
Keliu I am glad you showed up on here to give the benefit of your experiences with SH. If I could get mine down to the size of not visible except to me in a mirror, I 'd consider that progress.
What do you feel has helped the most? The RE Aura, or the combination of all of it? I wrote to Epionce tonight to see if they had more study information to share.
I have a baby Quasar red LED and am thinking that 's next on my "try" list. Have you tried red LED? Haven't come across that on this forum in my searches.
Confused
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:55 pm      Reply with quote
Alexya wrote:
OK I reread this thread and couldn't find where someone mentioned using lactic peels but there is a lot going on here at the moment.
Was someone recommending 65% lactic peels for them?
Keliu I am glad you showed up on here to give the benefit of your experiences with SH. If I could get mine down to the size of not visible except to me in a mirror, I 'd consider that progress.
What do you feel has helped the most? The RE Aura, or the combination of all of it? I wrote to Epionce tonight to see if they had more study information to share.
I have a baby Quasar red LED and am thinking that 's next on my "try" list. Have you tried red LED? Haven't come across that on this forum in my searches.
Confused

I recommend Retin-A, Lactic Acid Peels and a home laser like the ReAura if you can get your hands on one. But start off with topicals first and see how you go.

I do use an LED, I have the Lightstim and also the DPL. I honestly can't say that they give any visible improvement in a short amount of time. But I'm happy to believe in the premise that they can help build collagen and elastin over time. An LED won't help with SH though.

AnnieR has also reported that she's had excellent results with taking Accutane - but I think she also said the SH came back when she stopped taking it. Hopefully she'll chime in here. I've never gone this route and I'm a bit frightened of the side effects.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
I forgot to add that in line with Keliu's experience, I did contact Sarah Vaughter , the dermaroller guru, last year, and she said she did not think that single needling would help.
I consulted two dermatologists here in the DC area, and both were of the opinion that the only way to remove them for good was to have a plastic surgeon remove the bump and offending oil gland. And they could always pop up again in other places. The electrocautery did keep all but one bump at bay for a while, but they're back again. And it looks like they brought some little friends along with them.

I restarted Retin A a few weeks ago and will go ahead and do a lactic 40% peel in the near future. Thanks again for your input Keliu.
Maybe Bethany will chime in on here and let us know how the Epionce Lytic test subject in her family is doing.
I think our issue in all of this is, "what is going to shrink an over-productive oil gland?" Seems like just drying up the excess surface oil is not going to do the trick. Exfoliating to keep the pores from getting clogged seems to help some, as it does with acne, but the formation of these bumps is different than a regular "pimple". And no pimple could withstand the assault we have collectively visited on them. Confused
Keliu we are of like mind on the Accutane.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:19 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |