Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How to get a red LED panel for cheap (uh, VERY cheap)
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
girltwocb
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all,

If you're looking to invest in an LED panel but can't justify the expense, you will love this next video. I've been on a rampage with new videos lately for my Esthetician/do-it-yourself Skincare channel on YouTube. Check out my latest:

http://youtu.be/T2gBEb7uZ0U

Cheers,
Christine Byer
Licensed Master Esthetician

Licensed Esthetician 19+ years - Specializing in microcurrent facial toning, NeoGenesis Skincare, Jade Microcurrent (Pro Use), Clareblend Mini (Home use) https://ChristineByer.com • www.youtube.com/user/christinebyer/videos
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
Very cool, I am off to look at ebay!

Ok, looks like Growace has their own website. Can you explain why you prefer the panel to flicker? And how far from the face you should hang it?
I don't see my spa owner letting me rig something like this in my room, but I could always use it at home!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
Hi! I've seen a few of your videos and enjoyed them. I'm also interested in LED but have not bought yet. Could you please tell me how long you have to use it on your face? Does it needs to flicker to get good results or is the panel like that, I mean it flickers?
girltwocb
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:58 am      Reply with quote
The flicker is important because it challenges the skin to remodel quicker. Continuous flow is fine, as long as you do it for twenty minutes. In pulse mode you only need to use the light for 5-10 minutes to get the same effect. I always say its like cross training verses a leisurely walk, both work your body but the cross training is more intense.

Licensed Esthetician 19+ years - Specializing in microcurrent facial toning, NeoGenesis Skincare, Jade Microcurrent (Pro Use), Clareblend Mini (Home use) https://ChristineByer.com • www.youtube.com/user/christinebyer/videos
girltwocb
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:00 am      Reply with quote
Pulsed light remodels skin 5-7 times faster than continuous flow light.

Hold the light as close to the face you find comfortable.

CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:43 am      Reply with quote
girltwocb wrote:

Hold the light as close to the face you find comfortable.

Hi girltwocb- is there a link to where you read this information? I've never heard that and would be interested in reading about it. Thanks.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:32 pm      Reply with quote
Christine, you rock! Very Happy Thank you for sharing this with us. What ebay buyer do you recommend? I have to figure out how to add the pulse switch.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
Swissmom wrote:
Christine, you rock! Very Happy Thank you for sharing this with us. What ebay buyer do you recommend? I have to figure out how to add the pulse switch.

Swissmom, you might be able to use the Bakelite winker blinker. They use to be used for Christmas light before they made all the different blinking lights. You would have to find out the wattage of the grow light (most of the winker blinkers are only for 100 watts) and ask Christine how many blinks a minute you are suppose to have and then make sure the winker blinker has that many pluses
per minute. This is a listing on eBay I found but I'm sure there are others.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Vintage-Bakelite-Christmas-Lights-Winker-Plugs-NOS-flasher-blinker-/271110340259?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f1f6f7ea3

ETA: If you are really handy you might be able to use an string of LED Christmas lights and somehow use them to make it blink. I wonder if you could just plug in the grow light to the end of the strand of LED Christmas lights. Just thinking out load.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:38 am      Reply with quote
I tried all those premade blinkers (man did I have to search and search) and they didn't work. They dim the light by half! So I found a guy over the Internet who specializes in circuitry but I can't recommend him as he ended up being a complete tool (wouldn't send me back my original light panel but, inexplicably, sent me the pulsing switch, which works great!)

I cannot remember where I read that flashing or pulsing light is 5-7 times more powerful than continuous flow but I know this to be true by personal experience. When I first bought my pulsing pro model in 2001 ($3300) I would take it home at night and use it on my scar on my chest. This scar used to be really red and angry looking. Each morning after I used it I could tell a noticeable difference in the scar (slightly smaller, lighter, less redness, less glassy looking etc). One day I met a massage therapist in my building who, by chance, had some therapeutic pads she used on her clients made by the same manufacturer. I was excited because I thought, wow, I can cut my treatment time waaaay down. So that night I used one of her LED pads. I used it just I like I would my little wand with 19 diodes, but her pad covered my whole scar. The next morning I woke up and dashed to the mirror. What did I see? NOTHING! Not one bit of difference. I was so disappointed. What was the difference? Her pads were continuous flow, not blinking. (Continuous flow sends a message to muscles to relax.)

That being said, if you use a continuous flow light on for at least 20 minutes you can get almost the same results as using a blinking LED. I do this to clients who don't like the flashing sensation of the pulsing light.

Lastly, if you look up the really expensive doctors office LEDs, there are some videos on YouTube showing how they flash. They usually patent the pattern of flashing since it gives better results. Derma wave? I think is one that uses a duty cycle of more than 50% (meaning the light is on more than it is off when flashing). It's like holding at the top of a curl when lifting weights. I hope this makes sense.

Cheers,
Christine Byer
Master Esthetician

TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:35 am      Reply with quote
Christine which is the product of Growace that you recommend. My blasted computer doesn't have sound, so whilst it plays the video I would love to know which device you specifically recommend (and if its cheap so much so the better).
Rebecca1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
Thankyou for posting this. What colour LED's does your panel use and what wattage? Sorry if I missed this.

cheers

Ok watched the video again and I think you say it is 14W? And the lights look red?

thankyou
girltwocb
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:01 am      Reply with quote
Yes it's 225 red LEDs and 14 watts.

Toby
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:06 am      Reply with quote
girltwocb wrote:

So where do you get the blinker switch????

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:10 am      Reply with quote
I wrote it in my long post above. I can't really recommend him as he dropped the ball at the end of our transaction. But I found him on a electric circuitry message board. Can't remember the name of it. I paid $100 for the blinker.

Rebecca1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
girltwocb wrote:

thankyou!
Kandi
5% products discount

Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

This website talks about the 'pulsing' of the light, under the "conclusions" section.

[I cannot post link to site, as I get an error message that it is not available for new members]

Here is what it says:
"This study demonstrates that non-thermal skin irradiation by a deeply penetrating wavelength (660 nm) LED device induced a significant increase in the dermal procollagen production rate, especially when proprietary sequential pulsing was used. The notion of sequential pulsing mode, we believe, provides cells cyclical resting intervals between light exposures which may enhance an already successful biological response achieved with a continuous wave mode (CW)."
Swissmom
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:08 am      Reply with quote
Toby wrote:
girltwocb wrote:

So where do you get the blinker switch????

I'd like to know that too please. Is there a brand name on the blinker? Thank you. Smile
Kandi
5% products discount

Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:10 am      Reply with quote
I was looking on the Growace site and see there is also a round light- "13 Watt Advance Spectrum All Red LED Grow Light Bulb". That one has fewer LED lights on it overall, but the lights are much closer together.

I'm wondering if this bulb is better for home use (not spa) than the LED panel due to the bulbs being closer together so you get more concentrated light on your face.

Any thoughts?
EC413
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:15 am      Reply with quote
I bought a big square panel years ago, red light. This way before I bought my lightstim.

To be honest, I don't believe the panel has enough power to really do anything dramatic. I think with products like the lightstim, since the diodes are so close to the face, it really allows the light to penetrate effectively.

Plus, it seems those LED panels (at least the ones on eBay) are so expensive now. When I purchased mine years ago, it was about $30.00. They are now selling for $100.00+.

In my opinion (and this is what I just did) I found a lightstim (for wrinkles) on eBay for $150.00 shipped. That's half price of what they seem to mostly retail for. And it's brand new in a sealed box.

Maybe I didn't use the panel long enough to really see any difference, but it didn't feel like the light was really penetrating, if you know what I mean. I do believe in LED technology for anti-aging, I just think those panels aren't at a strong enough power.

Give it a shot though, I just dont want you guys wasting your money.
Kdvwest
5% products discount

Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:47 pm      Reply with quote
This is all confusing to me, as the lightstim manufactures lights with LEDs from 600nm to 900nm. Also contains around 72 LEDs per device. While others only have around 20-40 in the 660nm range.

The bulbs from growace are 13w and contain either 465nm(blue) and 660nm(red), both of which contain 160-170 LEDs per bulb.

Guess it might all come down to lumens/wattage per bulb? I didn't see where the other devices that are name-brand list their wattage or total lumen output.

It wouldn't seem like the panel would have enough output either, but they also offer a 50watt panel as well.

At the end of the day. It would seem wise to buy the product to which to research has been done for it, but with all other expenses of skin products, it would be nice to at least save on something. Even if you have to replicate the original at a lesser cost.

I'm not sure how targeted the light output is for the bulbs, but it would seem nice to use those for spot treatment or whole face treatment. Probably would be good to use some type of reflector behind it (homedepot sells them for cheap).
chasemom
5% products discount

Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:22 am      Reply with quote
girltwocb wrote:

Wondering if you could point me to any research articles regarding this claim. Thanks!
Frodo
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:56 pm      Reply with quote
Maybe someone who has had numerous conversations with the "light stem guy" and ask him about making a unit that pulses. I know there is someone on this board who is very knowledgeable on the LS I just can't remember who.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:10 pm      Reply with quote
Frodo wrote:
Maybe someone who has had numerous conversations with the "light stem guy" and ask him about making a unit that pulses. I know there is someone on this board who is very knowledgeable on the LS I just can't remember who.

I think Toby might be in contact with Steve from LightStim.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:34 pm      Reply with quote
Just got this email from LightStim today. I wonder what the new and exciting things will be.

Many new and exciting things will be coming up in 2013, so we will keep you in the loop on all the LightStim news!

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:59 pm      Reply with quote
chasemom wrote:
girltwocb wrote:

Wondering if you could point me to any research articles regarding this claim. Thanks!

I cant find that thread but " the LED guy" or " LED guy" , I know its confusing, there are 2 of em! He is the one who is very experienced in lights and does not sell any products... He mentioned that pulsating lights may actually result in loss of light energy and that it's debatable whether pulses are better than the continuous light... he also mentioned that the distance between LEDs should not be larger than 1/8th or 1/4th of an inch or something like this, sorry dont remember exactly...

but if girltwocb has had good experience with this unit, then good!
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:39 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |