Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dermarolling without Numbing Cream
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:46 pm      Reply with quote
Would you ever dermaroll (w/ large mm rollers) without numbing cream?

Could you tolerate the pain?

Do you know anyone who has ever done such a thing?
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:50 pm      Reply with quote
I've rolled with a 1mm roller and a 1.5mm dermastamp without numbing cream at least 4 times. I just don't have the patience to wait for the cream to take effect. I use the dermastamp around my lips. Sometimes I'll use ice in a baggie before rolling and it helps.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:33 pm      Reply with quote
The goal is for the needles to penetrate fully. I personally can't do that without numbing cream.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
The goal is for the needles to penetrate fully. I personally can't do that without numbing cream.

On YouTube, someone claims that such numbing creams can be carcinogenic. What do you think about that?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:29 pm      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
bethany wrote:

On YouTube, someone claims that such numbing creams can be carcinogenic. What do you think about that?

If I was using it every day or eating it, I would definitely worry about it. But once every couple of months probably won't hurt me any more than the other carcingens I encounter more frequently in my life, like the brown coloring in Diet Coke, food preservatives, artifical sweeteners, etc.

At the end of the day, more things than we want to know are detrimental to our health, so moderation is key.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:16 am      Reply with quote
Can you still hurt with the numbing cream?

If you had to give a percentage--anywhere from 0 to 100--of how the numbing cream reduced the pain, what would that number be?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:20 am      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
Can you still hurt with the numbing cream?

If you had to give a percentage--anywhere from 0 to 100--of how the numbing cream reduced the pain, what would that number be?

Everyone's pain threshold is different. Really, the only way to find out what you yourself can tolerate is to try it yourself. Emla definitely helps, but I find it doesn't totally numb my skin.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
If your pain tolerance is high, no need for numbing creams. I can do 2 mm needles without anything, but it varies from person to person. One additional benefit I get from the numbing creams is less blood, it seems to temporary constrict the capillaries. It does get annoying, having to wipe all the blood off all the time.
Another thing, for me the numbing doesn't happen deep enough (even with shrink wrap film). At least not 2 mm deep, the top layers don't feel much at all, but the deeper ones get to experience everything, which kind of defies the purpose of using the cream. It's not local anesthesia, not even close.
I guess you just have to try needling with the numbing cream and without and decide for yourself. I got a tube for me because I was worried I wouldn't be able to be rough enough on myself without it, but that wasn't the case. Thankgod. Laughing
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:39 pm      Reply with quote
Like everyone else has said, I think it depends on your pain tolerance. You could always just do a section on your forehead and see if the pain is too much for you. The forehead area is one of the most painful sections. So if you can stand that I think you would be fine.

I did use a very thick layer of emla cream. Along with freezer bags on top to numb my skin. It worked great for me. I couldn't feel a thing but everyone is different. I do have a high tolerance for pain. I used a 1.5mm roller.

I am going to try it without emla later but for the first few times I'm going to numb myself.

5% products discount

Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
My estimate is that EMLA takes off 25% of the pain, when I do a 1,5 mm roll on my face. The numbing effect wears off really fast after I wipe the cream from the skin though, and with the trouble of waiting with my face covered in saran wrap, I'm beginning to think it just isn't worth the hassle to use numbing cream.

For my next roll I'm planning on trying out plain ol' ice cubes.

Mid 30's, very fair skin. Using vit A and vit C. Experimenting with dermarolling, Ageless if You Dare and Safetox. Main focus on prevention, have gotten hormonal breakouts under control, would like to fix 11's, hyperpigmentation, stretch marks and acne scars on the chest.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:18 pm      Reply with quote
CPHgirl wrote:
My estimate is that EMLA takes off 25% of the pain, when I do a 1,5 mm roll on my face. The numbing effect wears off really fast after I wipe the cream from the skin though, and with the trouble of waiting with my face covered in saran wrap, I'm beginning to think it just isn't worth the hassle to use numbing cream.

For my next roll I'm planning on trying out plain ol' ice cubes.

CPHgirl,

Let us know how the ice cubes work out?
CPHgirl
5% products discount

Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
This thread reminded me that a roll was due, so now a few hours later, I'm ready to do a review Laughing.

I put two ice cubes in a plastic bag for storing food, held it against a small area for 60-90 seconds and rolled away.

I did my eye area, the upper bridge of my nose and the upper lip, and am happy to report, that the ice cubes did a very good job on the eyes and the nose bridge. the discomfort of the freeze was worse than the actual roll, even on my brow area.
The upper lip area, well, I'm beginning to think that nothing short of being put under will make that bearable Confused

Mid 30's, very fair skin. Using vit A and vit C. Experimenting with dermarolling, Ageless if You Dare and Safetox. Main focus on prevention, have gotten hormonal breakouts under control, would like to fix 11's, hyperpigmentation, stretch marks and acne scars on the chest.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
CPHgirl wrote:

I put two ice cubes in a plastic bag for storing food, held it against a small area for 60-90 seconds and rolled away.

That's similar to what I've done as well with the ice, although I fill the Baggie with a bit more. I agree that sometimes the ice is worse than the roll!!

For me, I find the forehead is the worst...that's where the sneezing gets triggered.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |