Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Hair question?....curling iron..
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
LindaJane
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,
I don't see a hair forum, so asking here. I keep seeing articles with styles for longish hair. 90% of them include a curling iron. I have one about 4 years with a clamp. I got it pretty cheap with three different barrel sizes at CVS. I Can't use it!...Hard to wrap my hair around it and them it won't come out easily, just awful. I know there are better ones out there. Any recs for a curling iron I can use to just place a few twists in my hair that is EASY to use??
Thanks much
moongoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hi LJ

I use a small c.i. with a graduated barrel and with out a clamp and it's great! The thickest part of the barrel is towards the handle -gradually getting smaller (they have them in reverse - thinest circumference near base-but i like this one better) It gives beautiful no fuss spiral curls (i only put about 6-8 in). I got it at Sally's (pink handle) but you can probably get it (or close to it) anywhere. I spray Beyond Zone Turn up the Heat flat iron protection on first - I get compliments ALL THE TIME on my hair - 2 thumbs up for this cutie (the curling iron that is...)

m.g.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
LindaJane wrote:
Hi,
I don't see a hair forum, so asking here. I keep seeing articles with styles for longish hair. 90% of them include a curling iron. I have one about 4 years with a clamp. I got it pretty cheap with three different barrel sizes at CVS. I Can't use it!...Hard to wrap my hair around it and them it won't come out easily, just awful. I know there are better ones out there. Any recs for a curling iron I can use to just place a few twists in my hair that is EASY to use??
Thanks much

LindaJane your reason for finding it hard to use is not clear so it's hard for people to know how to remedy the problem. What makes it hard to wrap your hair around them? Are they heavy? Is your hair fine and slips out of the "clamp"? Are you doing big sections that don't get heated evenly?

If you had a hooded dryer, I'd suggest you forget the curling iron and get Curlformers. Love them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDBkmXp_iOQ

I don't own a hooded dryer so I just use them on damp hair and airdry and I still get curls. The only thing I would have changes is the hook. I'd have been happier if it were metal or seamless. You will need to file down the seams so you don't rip at your hair strands with it.
LindaJane
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:55 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you! I will check it out...because I have thick hair, and I think it would look nice with some waves...but as I remember. I'm trying to hold the curling iron with one hand, and it's bulky and heavy, and with the other I'm trying to wrap hair, and then clamp, and them I can't get the hair out and it's getting tangled and I'm burning my fingers...like some kind of comedy. I Know they must make these things easier because I'm not That Inept!....
LindaJane
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks, I'm curious about the one from Sally's.
On their website they have several with a pink handle. Could you be more specific...the name of it or style number or something?..
Thanks much,
Linda
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:57 am      Reply with quote
LindaJane wrote:
Thanks, I'm curious about the one from Sally's.
On their website they have several with a pink handle. Could you be more specific...the name of it or style number or something?..
Thanks much,
Linda

LindaJane I am not sure whether you're asking me about Curlformers or if you meant to post this question on another thread. Your statement "...there are several with a pink handle" is what has me thinking you're talking about something else. Otherwise if you are asking about Curlformers there are light pink Curlformers which come with the orange and they are long and wide--meaning they'd give long hair big curls. Then there are deep pink ones that come with yellow and those are short and wide--meaning they give short hair big curls. And Sally's is where I got mine from. Here's an image of the different sizes and their colors:

I am guessing that this is the look was created by the long and wide Curlformers (not my hair or head but one that I found on Google images and absolutely love).

Sorry for the redundant post if you were not talking to me.
moongoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Linda Jane - if you were talking to me, here is the name: Plugged In Mini Reverse Cone Curling Wand (with the pink handle)
sorry, couldn't get the picture to copy.

Nonie - your curls look great
moongoddess
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:13 pm      Reply with quote
oh, ha, just went back to look at those curls and read it's not your head -
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:58 pm      Reply with quote
moongoddess wrote:
oh, ha, just went back to look at those curls and read it's not your head -

Hahaha moongoddess join the club of selective reading. I too missed your post completely hence my confusion by Linda Jane's post referring to pink curling irons. Embarassed Laughing
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Nonie aka AD wrote:
LindaJane wrote:
Hi,
Thanks much

LindaJane your reason for finding it hard to use is not clear so it's hard for people to know how to remedy the problem. What makes it hard to wrap your hair around them? Are they heavy? Is your hair fine and slips out of the "clamp"? Are you doing big sections that don't get heated evenly?

If you had a hooded dryer, I'd suggest you forget the curling iron and get Curlformers. Love them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDBkmXp_iOQ

I don't own a hooded dryer so I just use them on damp hair and airdry and I still get curls. The only thing I would have changes is the hook. I'd have been happier if it were metal or seamless. You will need to file down the seams so you don't rip at your hair strands with it.

Very interesting. Thank you, Nonie. It's good to hear that you get such great results with only air-drying your hair. Where did you purchase the curlers? Thanks!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
Wow that's exactly what I was looking for! I love curls, but I'm too clumsy to handle the iron. I hope these will do the trick!
Thanks for sharing!
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:02 am      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
Very interesting. Thank you, Nonie. It's good to hear that you get such great results with only air-drying your hair. Where did you purchase the curlers? Thanks!

cm5597 that image I posted was not of my hair. I believe that is on relaxed hair. My hair is natural and I have very kinky hair which shrinks to a small afro. You can see below what the texture was like before Curlformers and then after them. It looked as if I had rollerset my hair under a dryer or as if blowdried and then curled:

I don't know if heat from a dryer would have stretched my hair out or not ie the way a flatiron or curling iron might.

I do wear hair extensions which are of a smoother texture than my own hair and in this image they were 10 months old:

When I used Curlformers without heat on them, I got this:

So if you have straight or wavy hair, I think you'd have very good results w/o heat.

Curlformers are sold at Sally Beauty Supply.
LindaJane
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
Seems hard to do....but suppose once you get used to it it's great..
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:59 pm      Reply with quote
Since this thread is about curling irons, I thought this would be a good place to post this deal I saw.

Living Social have a Proliss Ceramic and Tourmaline plate curling iron valued at $220 going for $29

http://www.livingsocial.com/cities/13-san-jose/deals/539700-ceramic-and-tourmaline-curling-iron
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:20 am      Reply with quote
Thanks very much, Nonie! Your posts have been awesome here and very helpful. You've got me turned on to heatless curls now Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:04 pm      Reply with quote
That curl looks great with your extensions Nonie - very soft and sexy - i just saw the rollers at sally's today, but i thought the women in the pictures (on the bags) curls looked a bit much - . As much as i like my little graduated C.I., I really like the idea of no heat- it's just damaging to the hair, no matter how you prep it..
dickymoe
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:49 pm      Reply with quote
Have you ever tried rag curling? I am not keen on the way curls look when a iron is used and it is damaging. I have long, red, corkscrewed curly hair, I look like the Disney character, Brave! I use rag curling to calm my hair down to more of a loose wave.

http://rapunzelsresource.wordpress.com/2010/08/06/bandana-curls-or-rag-curls-for-long-hair/
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:20 am      Reply with quote
I purchased curlformers. I think I have the equivalent of this package here: http://www.curlformers.com/styling-kit-barrel-curls.htm.

I've decided that I don't like spiral-shaped curls as much as other curl shapes. However, I hate dumping things in the landfill.

Does anyone want my curlformers? I've used them less than 10 times and never with hairspray, so they are in good condition. They are free to a good home. If you want them and live in the continental U.S., please PM me with your name and mailing address. First come, first serve Smile

Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:46 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |