Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)
Advice with acne scar + overall improvement
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
amlet

Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:16 pm      Reply with quote
I need advice on improving acne scars, one especially deep on my right cheekbone about the size of a thumb print. I'm a fairly good looking person and therefore the scars appear to have more of a negative impact.

Recently I was injected by a very well-known dermatologist with Restylane underneath that scar. At first the results were nice, but after a few weeks although it's a little more elevated yes, at the same time it's lumpy to the touch and even to the eye. I don't know if it's because the injection was as I read somewhere, "If Restylane is injected too superficially this may result in visible lumps (www.restylaneusa.com/media/90-01194-0_DEC_14.pdf)." The results have been fair though so I'm not completely displeased with Restylane.

I'm looking at additional improvement methods until later when I have more money to deal with a dermatologist who will take a more in depth approach.

After reading much I'm considering a 3-way approach (this is just an idea, and it doesn't mean all at once):

*Beneath the skin - Hydroderm claims a patented method of passing through the skin with "whole collagen molecules" and that any other form of 'broken' collagen is useless because it cannot stay, this sounds very interesting and logical especially that it can be used only where desired

*Overall/Inside the skin - AlphaDerma CE (with Prep) has a combination of ingredients unsurpassed that seem to be the best product out there for an 'overall' effect

*Above - Epidermx also has exceptional reviews and research has shows that it improves the thickness of the skin too

Now I know AlphaDerma an be an all-in-one option, but can it be enough to address the depressed scar area? This is why I'm looking at Hydroderm. But what about C+ Firming Serum?

One important point: I seek not to look perfect, in fact on my left cheekbone is a similar scar as the main one on the right, it's just that the one on the right is a little too deep. A little on both sides I kind of don't mind the imperfect look. My concern is it would be somewhat counter-productive to end up with a better overall looking face while still having a deepER scar on my right cheekbone by focusing too much on skin improvement. Lifting and or filling the scar is the goal first.

Another important point: For anyone replying, keep in mind the presence of Restylane underneath. Would the products you suggest break, workaround, or merge with Restylane?

Finally, if I were to use several products, what timetable and in what order should I employ them?

Thanks anyone for your help, I really need to get on with it.
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
wave Hi amlet, its some question you have posed there, alas I know nothing about restylane so I cant comment too much.

Some girls on here have use StriVectin (think thats how you spell it) for scarring and have had great results. Something less potent is Decleors prolagene gel but I think that certainly takes longterm before results are seen and it depends on the age of the scar also. I would imagine you would want fast results, as I would too. For your other skin care, I agree with the Janson Beckett range, Ive only been using it a short time but am happy so far with it, and the results on here of what people say is its own Testament. Also vitamin c serums are very popular on here too, Ive yet to commit but everyone seems to have amazing results. Are you having more injections, Im not sure what Hydroderm is. I guess overall Im not much help really. Sorry. Have you searched the internet for info on the restylane and how long it stays under the skin. I friend of my had botox in her forehead for a line, that I needed a magnifying glass to see, and its lumpier now than it start. I guess one mans medicine can be another mans poison.

I would suspect your question is maybe too technical for most of us on here as I dont think many girls will be familiar with the restylane and the hydroderm. I mnaybe wrong, but I wish you look with your quest.
amlet

Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:13 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Cindi,

I really appreciate your reply. To clarify some of your valuable points:

*As far as time, I'm not so much in a hurry, I'm ready to take the time it takes to get good long-lasting results, the Restylane was seen as a kick-start

*Restylane is one of the safest and most correct fillings you could inject, its effects last anywhere from 5 to 8 months - http://www.restylane.com/

*My question is technical yes, but I still want to hear opinions, for example you addressed StriVectin and vitamin c serums, as long as the replies focus on scar lifting and or filling, although I know someone out there has more technical reply to my question, I look forward to that

*Hydroderm is a patented collagen infusion technology allowing 'whole' molecules to pass under the skin because the size of a collagen molecule is usually too large to pass through the skin, and Hydroderm says all other products use smaller modified collagen molecules that more or less don't work - http://www.hydroderm.com

I should add, I already know of the business ethics and customer service issues of some of the products mentioned. If any replies were to address this, no need to.

Thanks again
amlet

Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
I have to admit, Hydroderm sounds incredible, but last night while surfing their site I noticed in the example pictures every single 'after' picture seems to have been filtered with a 'glossy (gaussian blur)' type of effect, so that makes me wonder.

Last night I've ordered AlphaDerma, Prep and Milk from JB, for sure it's the central product for what I need (and btw, I would have bought from EDS, for sure, since I live in Canada, but there was one item not listed). Now it's just a matter of figuring out what to use above and below, if any.
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
I would not waste time or money on the topicals for a scar that sounds like yours. I would (just my opinion here)use my money on getting a good laser treatment or TCA peel by a reputable derm/cosmetic surgeon. Maybe once you get the best result you can with those, then start a regular regimen of Retin-A or C serum to keep the result and change the texture/look of that skin. Collagen molecules are too large to pass through the skin. This has been said over and over again in the literature so any product claiming this....well, unfortunately that's just B.S. There is a great board called the Biochemistry of Beauty that will give you the straight-up truth about some of the topical claims being made. You could check there. Also, the YTF (Yes, They're Fake)plastic surgery board can give you excellent information on which lasers and docs are best. Good luck!
SaffronRouge
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:24 pm      Reply with quote
I would start with a C serum and some AHA or exfoliation. Let us know how you get along.
Ian S.
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
I have not responded lately on the forum but I felt a response to some comments made had to be corrected. First I would like to say that the statements made by the person answering the questions sound like they are coming from a doctor who's trained to think nothing works but invasive procedures. Certainly with todays technology and advancements with active ingredients and delivery systems the problems of scar lightening and removal can certainly be solved by topical items specifically designed and blended for that sole purpose. I am not trying to sell anything but I can say without a doubt that AlphaDerma CE will lighten and remove scars over time. The issue with collagen absorption is not as cut and dry as the comments made in this persons response. Collagen molecules are too large to be absorbed by themselves in their full size. But broken down into smaller molecules known as
Hydrolyzed Collagen Molecules can be absorbed!! But that is not the only answer when it comes to the absorption of anything. The delivery system has to be very special and allow the smaller molecules to penetrate. I have been formulating cutting edge products for 15 years and have had great success with just these types of applications. We have studies of the AlphaDerma lightening scars dramatically and plumping the skin to where it is almost impossible to see what remained of the previous scar. Again with all the new developments and strides made everyday in skin care and anti-aging to make a claim that something is BS is not professional and simply not so. The most important step in developing any productive product is the perfect balance of ingredients and precise blending. Any one can start out with the same ingredients and try to come up with the same item and simply can't reproduce it. Why is that? Because the person making the product has just as much to do with the outcome of the product as the ingredients maybe even more. I can say from personal experience that if anyone questions the validity of the broken down collagen molecule being absorbed just look at the incredible results customers get from the AlphaDerma CE. Their skin is rejuvenated, firmed and plumped up (full of life). That is not from anyone ingredient but the careful formulating and blending of all the active ingredients including the Collagen molecule which absolutely gets absorbed. If anyone would like to dicuss the delivery systems or the way the broken down collagen molecule works please feel free to e-mail at ian@janson-beckett.com.

betterat40 wrote:
I would not waste time or money on the topicals for a scar that sounds like yours. I would (just my opinion here)use my money on getting a good laser treatment or TCA peel by a reputable derm/cosmetic surgeon. Maybe once you get the best result you can with those, then start a regular regimen of Retin-A or C serum to keep the result and change the texture/look of that skin. Collagen molecules are too large to pass through the skin. This has been said over and over again in the literature so any product claiming this....well, unfortunately that's just B.S. There is a great board called the Biochemistry of Beauty that will give you the straight-up truth about some of the topical claims being made. You could check there. Also, the YTF (Yes, They're Fake)plastic surgery board can give you excellent information on which lasers and docs are best. Good luck!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:44 pm      Reply with quote
Hi amlet

Yours is an interesting post, but I feel I must take issue with your second sentence. Attractiveness is a purely subjective quality and scarring is as emotionally traumatic for 'good looking' people as it is for ... what word do I use? Ugly? average looking? Guapaboy thinks I'm a goddess, but I know a few think I'm an old hag. Either way, when I got a nasty scar on my face last year (almost gone now thank god), I felt traumatised. I think you could be a bit more sensitive when making value judgements like that.

Whilst I'm here, (when I shouldn't be), Ian, would you mind posting some of the clinical studies that show collagen passing the dermal barrier or whatever it's called, because, like better (who I think you were a bit offish with btw!Smile ), I was under the same impression and I wouldn't really believe it unless I saw proof from a peer reviewed journal.

Liz
Cool

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
Amlet
I must admit I was a bit disturbed when reading 1st post. Sad Does a scar not matter to someone who may not be techically good looking, but does try to make the most of what they are? Do you think they are wasting their time Question
Ian,
Could you please post some studies with regards to collagen Question I am very interested in finding out more about this subject.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:26 pm      Reply with quote
I will look through my files and post as soon as I find the best ones. I would like to say that I was not trying to be offish to anyone but in the post it says that anyone stating other than that fact is BS! That I felt was a little strong. Proof is in the results and benefits you receive from the product not from a document or possibly a biased clinical trial or journal.
Thank you,
Ian Very Happy

quote="guapagirl"]Hi amlet

Yours is an interesting post, but I feel I must take issue with your second sentence. Attractiveness is a purely subjective quality and scarring is as emotionally traumatic for 'good looking' people as it is for ... what word do I use? Ugly? average looking? Guapaboy thinks I'm a goddess, but I know a few think I'm an old hag. Either way, when I got a nasty scar on my face last year (almost gone now thank god), I felt traumatised. I think you could be a bit more sensitive when making value judgements like that.

Whilst I'm here, (when I shouldn't be), Ian, would you mind posting some of the clinical studies that show collagen passing the dermal barrier or whatever it's called, because, like better (who I think you were a bit offish with btw!Smile ), I was under the same impression and I wouldn't really believe it unless I saw proof from a peer reviewed journal.

Liz
Cool[/quote]

Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry folks for not replying any sooner, I am very very very busy.

Few things:

*Regarding the 'good-looking' mis-interpretation, it's just that, interpretation. I was talking about 'me good-looking with a scar' versus 'me good-looking without a scar,' I was not talking about anyone else. If anyone read 'ugly people' into what I wrote, well that is what is on your mind. If I can find better words to clarify what I mean I would use this wacky example: Keith Richards is BEAUTIFUL because of his EVENLY SPREAD wrinkles and scars and battered face, while I feel like my mostly perfect skin with one big scar on one side kinda makes everything that is good look wasted. The issue I brought is not about 'levels of beauty' but 'consistency.' No more to say on this on my part.

*Ian, thank you for your reply, it does helps, and speaking of...

*JB shipped my order fast! The gift wrap for Canadian shipping worked. As far as the products, it's too soon to comment, but the Milk cleansing that was thrown in surprised me, powerful cleaner!

Ian, question: since my scar is somewhat deep, should I consider using C Serum side-by-side with AlphaDerma on the scar? Or what else could help plump the skin in that concentrated area in addition to AlphaDerma?

Thanks for the replies,

amlet
adelaping
5% products discount

Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:07 am      Reply with quote
i dunno whether you have heard the "NATURAL BEAUTY' products, it is a popular product in Taiwan. Wat i'm try to say here is the scar cream product of this brand is absolutely marvellous!!
all u need is to rub on the scar (purple color scar) for about a minute and do it anytime u like per day. of course more often u rub it it, faster the scar will disappear.
i usually have acne scar for months, but when i use this, i usually just got rid of it in few days time. i just rub it until it is not visible not until it totally disappear. Anyway, it wil disappear by itself one day too

hope this help! Razz
amlet

Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you adelaping, I'll look into that.

amlet
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:50 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |