Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Thin translusent skin from over exfoliation
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
UKwithLove
5% products discount

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:59 pm      Reply with quote
Hi

So I have thin translucent-ish skin under my eyes. Causes are lack of sleep and over-exfoliation. I now exfoliate only vary rarely which means my skin is back to normal now, but the dark circles under my eyes are visible.

There are 3 approaches as I understand it.
1, to reduce capillary bleeding with a cold compress or topical.
2, thicken the skin.
3, increase the skins pigment to reduce translucency and stop the buleish tinge from showing. I'm most interested in points 2 & 3.

Does anyone here know of a way to thicken the epidermis? I know CE ferulic and Retinols helps to thicken the dermis, but to combat translucency and get my colour and pigment back I need to focus on the epidermis.

My best guess is gelatine or dry brushing. Is that the way to go, or is there something else I can try?

Thanks
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
UKwithLove wrote:
Hi

So I have thin translucent-ish skin under my eyes. Causes are lack of sleep and over-exfoliation. I now exfoliate only vary rarely which means my skin is back to normal now, but the dark circles under my eyes are visible.

2, thicken the skin.
3, increase the skins pigment to reduce translucency and stop the buleish tinge from showing. I'm most interested in points 2 & 3.

Does anyone here know of a way to thicken the epidermis? I know CE ferulic and Retinols helps to thicken the dermis, but to combat translucency and get my colour and pigment back I need to focus on the epidermis.

My best guess is gelatine or dry brushing. Is that the way to go, or is there something else I can try?

Thanks

UKwithLove I do believe face exercises can thicken the skin under the eyes so that it's not see-through in a way that lets blood capillaries show through. I believe also the the increased blood flow flushes toxins away and brings oxygenated blood which is brighter thus helping reduce dark circles.

You can see the difference exercise makes to dark circles in the progress in Shanti's eyes: http://www.carolynsfacialfitness.com/shanti

Here's more information on how exercises get rid of dark circles:
http://www.carolynsfacialfitness.com/how-does-the-cff-face-exercise-system-get-rid-of-dark-circles-and-bags-under-the-eyes
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:08 pm      Reply with quote
If you want to thicken the dermis, you need retin-a. But retin-a thins the epidermis, something you don't want.

I would suggest a very gentle cleanser, antioxidant serum, SPF for morning and a repairing cream at night. Do this for a few months and then check back in with your skin.

5% products discount

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Nonie, thanks for the links. Sounds like lymphatic massage, I take it such massages have worked for you. I guess at a fundamental level, placing pressure on the skin will cause it to respond by thickening up, much like callused hands and feet caused by labouring or walking barefooted.

Hi LauraLizzie, I thought about Retain A in the past but the sun sensitivity issue always holds me back as it seems like exchanging one problem for another (hyperpigmentation), not to mention the work involved in keeping out of the sun. The C+E Ferulic option appears to have all the upsides of Retinoic acid, and also works as a sunscreen. Am I missing something, as I can't see why people still use retinoic acid with this new HG in town? I am missing a gentle cleanser though, any recommendations?

I think a combination of massage for circulation plus dry brushing, and a nightly C+E Ferulic serum is the way to go.
makeupsmad

Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:59 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:

2, thicken the skin.

Thanks

How often did you exfoliate? My skin responds really well to exfoliation and I'm acne prone, but I'm worried that I could be doing the same. Can you please share your routine?
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:34 pm      Reply with quote
UKwithLove wrote:
Hi Nonie, thanks for the links. Sounds like lymphatic massage, I take it such massages have worked for you. I guess at a fundamental level, placing pressure on the skin will cause it to respond by thickening up, much like callused hands and feet caused by labouring or walking barefooted.

Hi UKwithLove just to be clear, any lymphatic massage around my eyes has happened indirectly. I do not perform any massage within the eye socket. Not even the pinch and roll that some exercisers do. By working all the muscles of the face, I believe that is how I might cause movement of lymphatic fluid. The area under the eyes is so delicate that I try not bother it.
UKwithLove
5% products discount

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:38 am      Reply with quote
Makeupsmad, sure, I have several points for you:

The first thing is that in my experience, any physical exfoliation is just plain damaging. If you must exfoliate only use a Chemical exfoliator, although it's name needs rebranding, is 100% the only way to go as it gently removes the top layer as opposed to taring it away with abrasion. Furthermore, there is only 1 exfoliator I will ever use period, and that's Cure Natural Aqua Gel. Google it to find out why.

2. Something I learned the hard way is, never exfoliate the under-eye area. This happens to be the thinnest skin on the body and thus prone to major damage by physical exfoliants.

3. The under-eye area needs very, very, very special care in the form of a cold compress of some sort. Why? Because this prevents fluid from swelling up this delicate eye area. Even splashing cold water on your face helps although realistically you can't keep running to the tap all day. Just do what you can, and be mindful of it as if you allow tired eyes to go untreated with cold therapy, then this thin skin gets slowly deformed making eye bags worse and worse.
UKwithLove
5% products discount

Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:40 am      Reply with quote
Nonie. Thanks for that I will research into facial massage!
martina

Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
what do you mean by saying you exfoliated the under eye area? I put my AHAs and BHAs on the crow`s feet area, where I can feel my orbital bone. Is that ok
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:22 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |