Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz)
Zinc Oxide DIY suncreen - how to formulate so no balling up?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Scinofi

Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:04 pm      Reply with quote
Hi

I have some invisible Zinc Oxide powder but so far have failed to create something that does not ball up and come off when I apply foundation over the top. What's the formulation secret?

e.g. I also have some Chanel Precision UV sunblock which is based on a high percentage of zinc oxide, and that goes on smoothly without balling up. But I really don't want to layer on all that alcohol and other chemicals unnecessarily. It's pointless, right? I should just be able to mix zinc oxide into a healthy base lotion and use that. But what's the knack for making a non-balling version?

Thanks.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:12 am      Reply with quote
I really don't recommend DIY sunscreen. How can you test it to be sure it has enough UVA/UVB protection?

I would use the zinc powder as a finishing powder. Many mineral makeup companies sell these. EDS also offers Colourscience powders.

What are you hoping to achieve with making your own sunscreen?

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:41 pm      Reply with quote
When I was making an o/w sunscreen, I always used BTMS along with my other emulsifiers. It gave it a better texture and made it more water resistant. I never really experienced a problem with balling or pilling when layering it. It might have something to do with the particle size or what you're adding it to. What base cream have you been adding the powder to? If you can find an ingredient list for that commercial sunscreen you might be able to dupe a rough version of it with similar ingredients.

There are many different schools of thought in regards to home DIY sunscreens. Never get all of your information from only one source, and practice avoidance and coverage as much as you can in addition.
Scinofi

Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:40 am      Reply with quote
Thanks guys!

By making my own I am hoping to provide high UVA protection while minimizing layering up my skin with needless chemicals - and just needless layering of anything actually. There's only a certain amount of goop one face can take!

I like the finishing powder option and actually do this quite a lot. I am just not confident of efficacy; it's guesswork. However given the apparently very high percentage of ZnO when applied this way, it should be very effective...???

What's BTMS please?
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:50 am      Reply with quote
If you have a look at the skincare boards website they have some incredibly experienced DIYers who make all their own serums/creams and sunscreens, I am sure if you posted your question there you would get answers to your questions

HTH

Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:36 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |