Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Facial Exercise Frequency and Sore Facial Muscles
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
hydrogeogirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hi,

I have done facial exercise from 2002, tried other programs, but have primarily used FlexEffect. I did the exercises 6 days a week for years and then 3 times a week for several more years. This past year was busy for me and I only did the exercises about once every two weeks.

However, practically my entire face is really sore when I only do the exercises about every two weeks. I never had soreness like this when I did the exercises more frequently. I should mention that when I started, it took quite a while, even years for some muscles, before I built my facial muscles up.

I attribute facial exercises to keeping the tone of my facial muscles strong. I plan to do them for as long as I am able. I do them quite strongly, I pull, tug, and strongly massage my skin Smile

My question is, is it better to do my exercises less frequently to get this intense muscle fatigue and soreness or should I go back to more frequent exercises and less muscle soreness?

Thx!

61 in 2/2021. Author of "Skin Remodeling DIY, An Introduction to the Underground World of Do-It-Yourself Skin Care" May 2015. Sunscreen/skin protection, DIY C serum, firming serums, Retin-A, OCM, FlexEffect from 2002, lymphatic massage, 6 rolls/year 1.5 mm derma roller from 2008, Infrared/Red LED from 2009, Galvanic/Ultrasound intermittent
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:54 pm      Reply with quote
Hydrogeogirl my advice would be to ask this question of the FE trainers. They are there to help you figure the program out and they would better understand why it is you're having the pain you're having. There might be Flexers here but if I had access to folks who actually work with the program and help guide others, I'd look to them first for direction. Unless someone else has had the exact same problem, you may not get correct direction. Sean and Claudia and Cathy used to post here regularly but I haven't seen them around. And I suspect they'd ask you to post your question on their platform. If you prefer, you could send them an email/private message. I reckon that'd be the safest way to avoid doing something wrong and at least understand what's going on.

I have never had pain from face exercises, but then I don't do the program you do so can't really speak on it. I think you'd do well to address this with the pros in that program.
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:40 am      Reply with quote
hydrogeogirl ,

Same here, I do FE 2-3 times a week; every time I finish, I find my muscle sore and it takes me 30-60 minutes for "recovery".

That said, I prefer doing this way as you did (put more resistance on the muscles) because I find that it really firm & tighten my skin.
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:17 am      Reply with quote
Hydrogeogirl is talking about muscle soreness or fatigue, which are totally different from pain--I think Nonie misunderstood what you are talking about.

Hydrogeogirl: Can you clarify whether this is muscle soreness like what summer2004 is describing (temporarily muscle burn or fatigue that comes immediately after doing an exercise but dissipates quickly) or is the day after soreness, like you would get from weight training with heavy weights?

As Nonie advises, it's best to talk to a trainer.

But let me insert my two cents on one particular point: By doing the exercises once every two weeks, even if you are maintaining your muscle mass, you are missing out on some of the circulation and lymph stimulating benefits. For that reason, I generally prefer to exercise a muscle 1-2x a week (at least), even if that means do only a few reps and minimal resistance.

Best wishes Smile

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
cm5597, you are correct, I do not feel pain when I do the FE. Instead, the next day, my facial muscles are very sore, because of my workout. I love how it feels, when my entire face and neck is sore and I have taken to holding out a little while before doing the exercises so that my muscles will feel sore. The soreness occurs the following day and may last 24 hours.

I need to do a little research on muscle building and I will also post my question at some point on the FE boards.

Also, cm5597, yes you are correct, the daily or more frequent exercises are terrific for lymph and circulation in general. A contracted muscle increases circulation 10 times, moving wastes out and oxygen and nutrients in. As a result, my skin looks fantastic after FE.

I do want to do the exercises more frequently but also have enjoyed the intense soreness that I feel. I taught facial exercises for about 5 years and when 20 year olds attended, they told me that their whole face would be so sore the next day. The more mature folks and myself, did not have that kind of soreness, because our muscles had atrophied before starting facial exercises. I think that my facial muscles must be closer to the strength of the 20 year olds rather than 53 year olds. Of course, I look older, but I do get many compliments and exclamations about not looking my age. I attribute that to many things, FE and skin rejuvenation being among them.

Anyways, still curious about muscle building and time.

Thanks! HGG

61 in 2/2021. Author of "Skin Remodeling DIY, An Introduction to the Underground World of Do-It-Yourself Skin Care" May 2015. Sunscreen/skin protection, DIY C serum, firming serums, Retin-A, OCM, FlexEffect from 2002, lymphatic massage, 6 rolls/year 1.5 mm derma roller from 2008, Infrared/Red LED from 2009, Galvanic/Ultrasound intermittent
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:26 pm      Reply with quote
hydrogeogirl wrote:
Also, cm5597, yes you are correct, the daily or more frequent exercises are terrific for lymph and circulation in general. A contracted muscle increases circulation 10 times, moving wastes out and oxygen and nutrients in. As a result, my skin looks fantastic after FE.

I do want to do the exercises more frequently but also have enjoyed the intense soreness that I feel.

What I do is for the muscles of my face I want to build more, I train them 2-3x a week doing 2-4 sets in a bodybuilding style. IMHO, this gives me the best of all worlds: (a) frequent enough training, (b) but still longer rest periods for recovery, and (c) body-building-like training with high weight, higher sets, and rotating schedule (not training every day). The FE people don't promote this per se, but I like it better than training every muscle every day and resting 2 days a week. I feel that it is more inline with a bodybuilding-like approach, than training every muscle every day. This will sometimes give me that bodybuilder's soreness that you mention, but that is not my goal. And of course, for those muscles that are in maintenance (that I only want to tone, not build), I train 1-2x week with 1-2x sets at lighter weight. Just my own personal preference.

Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:46 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |