Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Under eye uglies with Retinol cream! Please help!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
cabingrl

Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:50 pm      Reply with quote
Hey ladies, new to the forum. I could so use the advice of those who have weathered the retinol uglies with success. I am 31 yrs old and just started a new retinol cream a few days ago. Overall I notice a nice tightness, but that is the only plus so far! It's "pulled" quite a few blemishes to the surface and yesterday I was pretty red. My biggest concern is my under-eye area! I had fine lines there before, and yes I did apply the retinol cream to this area, but WOAH DADDY did I wake up looking like a granny! I can wait out the zits and redness but these crepey wrinkled eyes are scary! Is it true that if I just muscle through it these wrinkles will start to fade? I'm determined to keep going because I'm afraid if I stop now I'll look just like this forever! I'm scared to even smile! Thanks for your help!!!
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:14 pm      Reply with quote
Welcome to this forum, cabingrl Smile The key to using retinol is to start slowly, say 1x a week, and build up the frequency gradually so your skin can adapt to it to avoid "uglies" and irritation that you are experiencing now. You did not mention the strength of retinol you are using, so if it is too strong, you can prep your skin with a moisturizer to "dilute" the concentration of retinol... There is truth in the "uglies" that it will get worse before it gets better... And since you are using retinol, a must-have is to make sure that you always use a sunscreen of at least 30 SPF when going out... Hope this helps and good luck in your search to beautiful skin Smile
okies
5% products discount

Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:40 pm      Reply with quote
Is that safe to use retinol under the eye area? I heard that retionl sometimes may cause red spot to sensative skin...I think Jade-1234 is qutie right, to start slow with less stronger retinol, and always put sunscreen at least SPF30.............
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
okies: It is quite safe to use retinol under the eye area, as long as you use lowest strength to start (don't put too much) and build gradually over time, till your skin adapts. This is the best option to avoid those "uglies"....
okies
5% products discount

Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
jade-1234 wrote:
okies: It is quite safe to use retinol under the eye area, as long as you use lowest strength to start (don't put too much) and build gradually over time, till your skin adapts. This is the best option to avoid those "uglies"....

Jade, I have a sensative skin, sometimes I use retional, my skin will turn red. I use the retinol cream once a week, but evoiding my eye area. I guess my skin is in the period of adjustment. My eye area has a bigger problem, fine lines and dark circle. Can you recommend some good eye cream? Thanks a lot. PS. I am new to this forum, but I hope I can learn more and share more later.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:00 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know what strength of retinol cream you are using. But if you dilute retinol with your favorite moisturizer suited to your skin, it will lessen the impact of "redness" even if you have sensitive skin. This way you are gradually introducing retinol even to the eye area... I can not comment on eye cream as it all depends on your age... Maybe some other forum members can comment on eye cream in another thread that you created?

okies wrote:

Jade, I have a sensative skin, sometimes I use retional, my skin will turn red. I use the retinol cream once a week, but evoiding my eye area. I guess my skin is in the period of adjustment. My eye area has a bigger problem, fine lines and dark circle. Can you recommend some good eye cream? Thanks a lot. PS. I am new to this forum, but I hope I can learn more and share more later.
cabingrl

Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:18 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks ladies! I was using Dr Denese's firmatone nightcream with retinol...not sure the strength. I did notice (too late!) that it said not for use under the eye area, so I went and got some Neutrogena Rapid Repair Wrinkle Cream specifically for under the eyes. I am hoping this can at least help undo the damage I've created with the other retinol and maybe even make my eyes better than they were originally??? I'll give it time. It's funny because I just got my teeth whitened and I want to smile to show off my new smile but when I do my grandma eyes crinkle up! Ha ha! Patience starts now***
cali_jess

Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, I know I'm digging up this thread but I did this to myself as well. Sad

I heard the good things about retinol and bought a jar of Bioelements Sleepwear and started using it as I was researching that in a jar the ingedients will oxide so I used too much in efforts not to waste it. My undereyes look awful and wrinkly especially when I wake up in the morning and puffy but really all day I don't want to see anyone! Now I know I did too much too fast. Sad

My question now I didn't see fully addressed is if its better to stop the retinol completely until it heals or use it very seldomly like once a week or every few days in order to keep the skin building?

Thanks and I feel so stupid!
lessthan40

Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
please tell me did anyone's face get back to normal. i used retinol for a couple weeks now have deep wrinkles under my eyes. stopped using it for 2 weeks now and have been moisturizing like crazy and my face is still not back to normal. pls someone give me hope!!!
tanya272

Mon May 01, 2017 5:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Cabingrl, I noticed that your comment was posted in 2013.. I experienced the same situations - used a Vichy advanced retinol cream not realizing that it was not meant for the eye area... I seriously regret throbbing that cream all over my under eyes. I now have a ton of fine lines, my under eye skin feels burnt, and it looks terrible when I smile...
What happened in your case? Did the effects go away? How long did it take? What did you have to be? Please let me know ...your response will be greatly appreciated <3

cabingrl wrote:
Thanks ladies! I was using Dr Denese's firmatone nightcream with retinol...not sure the strength. I did notice (too late!) that it said not for use under the eye area, so I went and got some Neutrogena Rapid Repair Wrinkle Cream specifically for under the eyes. I am hoping this can at least help undo the damage I've created with the other retinol and maybe even make my eyes better than they were originally??? I'll give it time. It's funny because I just got my teeth whitened and I want to smile to show off my new smile but when I do my grandma eyes crinkle up! Ha ha! Patience starts now***

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
I hold reservations over the use of Retinoic acid derivatives in general but retinol at least is more gentle than Retin A.

If retinol seems too much for your skin, step down to Retinaldehyde. Don't compare %age for retinol and %age for Retinaldehyde because if you do, you will be led to erroneously believing 0.5%-1% is necessary. For Retinaldehyde, you only need 0.015% for around the eye.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |