Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Castor oil?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
nance

Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,
I am new here. I have sensitive/dry skin and I am always in search of something to moisturize my face without the breakouts or becoming red... of course it's worse in the winter.. I drink alot of water... I got sucked into a DR OZ segment about only using vitamin C moisturizers oh, and then one time he was saying to ACE your face (moisturizers with vitamins A, C & E) DR OZ tends to give you too much info and then change it all the time.... I also have wavy curly hair that freaks out in the winter and my hair stylist told me to pat castor oil on my hair when it's damp to combat frizzy brittle hair.. and I must say, it's amazing.. my hair is soft and really manageable now... so, can any one tell me if castor oil can do the same for my face? I am so tired of spending money on moisturizers.... it seems like I have tried them all...
Thanks for any help with this on-going skin battle
Question
SnowFairy
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:25 am      Reply with quote
Try it and see how you like it. I'm sure you already know how hard it is to spread it around because it's so thick. Maybe rub it between the palms of your hands and pat it into your damp skin. Some people say castor oil is very drying, but I personally like to use it on occassion. I don't spread it all over my face, but I do use it locally just on a dry patch of skin. I normally have oily skin, but sometimes, if I've been running outside and it is cold and windy, my cheeks will get dry. Castor oil seems to work just fine for that. I think it's better when it's mixed with sunflower seed or safflower oil and some vitamin E.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
If you take a look at makeup alley (unlisted products); there is a lot of reviews for castor oil. It is very often in lash conditioning serums. It does condition lashes and brows well.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:45 pm      Reply with quote
It really depends on individual skin type, but I think castor oil is best used for either lips or hair/lashes in a leave on product. For full face use I think it's best as a cleanser. It just depends on if you can find a use for it by experimenting with it.
Ravenquille

Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:52 am      Reply with quote
If you use Castor Oil for anything, use ONLY the cold-pressed type. This is NOT what is generally available in stores; you will need to look for it elsewhere.
The type sold in pharmacies, dept. stores, etc. has been heat-treated and this process completely KILLS the constituents of the Castor Bean.

Ravenquille
SnowFairy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:53 pm      Reply with quote
Ravenquille wrote:
If you use Castor Oil for anything, use ONLY the cold-pressed type. This is NOT what is generally available in stores; you will need to look for it elsewhere.
The type sold in pharmacies, dept. stores, etc. has been heat-treated and this process completely KILLS the constituents of the Castor Bean.

Ravenquille

All of the castor seed oil on the shelves of my pharmacy and drugstore and the ones in the healthfood store are cold pressed. Castor oil produced by hexane extraction (not heating) is mainly used for industrial purposes because it is a great lubricant. My guess is it would be pretty hard to find castor oil that is not cold pressed unless you worked at a machine shop. Heritage and Home Health brands are cold pressed and they seem to be widely available in my area.

The only constituent of the castor seed that needs to be killed is the toxic protein ricin which is effectively removed by the cold pressing or the hexane extraction. The remainder of castor oil are fatty acids mainly ricinoleic and to a very small degree oleic, linoleic, linolenic and a few others that I can't remember right now.

I think mixing castor seed oil with some sunflower and safflower seed oil should make a really good moisturiser for very dry skin if it is applied while the skin is damp. Used alone on the skin may not be enough. It is a great lubricant which is why it works so well on hair but I think for skin you would need something with more linoleic acid such as canola, sunflower or safflower seed oil. Don't forget to apply them to damp skin. The healthy skin barrier does contain about 10% of moisture so I think leaving the skin damp before applying the oils should take care of that.
Ravenquille

Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:21 pm      Reply with quote
SnowFairy wrote:
All of the castor seed oil on the shelves of my pharmacy and drugstore and the ones in the healthfood store are cold pressed. My guess is it would be pretty hard to find castor oil that is not cold pressed unless you worked at a machine shop. Heritage and Home Health brands are cold pressed and they seem to be widely available in my area.

That is good! You are lucky if pharmacies and drugstores, etc. in your location sell cold-pressed castor oil! None of the castor oil sold in pharmacies, drugstores and other stores in my area is cold-pressed. I have heard that Heritage and Home Health brands, are available in some Health Food Stores; but most people I know of who do buy it, order it online because it is cheaper.

I buy mine at a much lower price than that which is available in a Health Food Store, as I buy it by the gallon from a Food Products Manufacturer in PA which sells various bulk oils, baking products. I also purchase my coconut oil in bulk from them, at a fragment of the usual price.

Ravenquille
SnowFairy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
Ravenquille wrote:
SnowFairy wrote:
All of the castor seed oil on the shelves of my pharmacy and drugstore and the ones in the healthfood store are cold pressed. My guess is it would be pretty hard to find castor oil that is not cold pressed unless you worked at a machine shop. Heritage and Home Health brands are cold pressed and they seem to be widely available in my area.

That is good! You are lucky if pharmacies and drugstores, etc. in your location sell cold-pressed castor oil! None of the castor oil sold in pharmacies, drugstores and other stores in my area is cold-pressed. I have heard that Heritage and Home Health brands, are available in some Health Food Stores; but most people I know of who do buy it, order it online because it is cheaper.

I buy mine at a much lower price than that which is available in a Health Food Store, as I buy it by the gallon from a Food Products Manufacturer in PA which sells various bulk oils, baking products. I also purchase my coconut oil in bulk from them, at a fragment of the usual price.

Ravenquille

Oh WOW! What do you with that much oil? I have had my bottle of 4oz castor oil for over a year now.
lamicuz
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:23 am      Reply with quote
Castor oil is one of those that is very thick and emollient but can also be drying.

I agree with the suggestions to just give it a go straight or mixed with other carrier oils to experiment, always applied with a light touch on damp skin.

The castor may also work best if only used as a treatment on dry spot a few times a week, rather than everyday.
Autumn1995
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
If you are still looking at oil(s) for moisturizing; a couple of suggestions.

If you go to Garden of Wisdom; there is a section on oils. I ordered a sample pack (pick three) of oils for sensitive skin. You pick a skin type/condition and then oils are suggested.

Mountain of Herbs has a similar section.

Another oil that is great for hair is argan oil. I have not tried it on my face as I have other favorites.

My skin is oily/combo but sensitive with fine lines. I am 51. I like Rose Hip Oil for neck and under eyes. I also Squalane. This is an oil that works great with other skin treatments. Skin Biology (sold here) has information on their website about Squalane.

I also use oil to cleanse. Currently using Apricot Oil and Grape Seed oil with emulsifier purchased from Garden of Wisdom. (You can mix up to 10% emulsifier with oils for DIY cleanser.)

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:03 pm      Reply with quote
According to oil cleansing method, castor oil actually is very drying by itself..

You need to mix it with other oils to get its full benefits..

My favourite is virgin coconut oil...

Mansi
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:21 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |