Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Pycnogenol
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:19 pm      Reply with quote
bellabambiiina wrote:
In general, I think it might be hard to find good studies on supplements because there isn't funding readily available.

Sad but true.

Also, it's not as if the research would widen anyone's pockets, which further explains the lack of funding.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:49 pm      Reply with quote
Here are some additional studies on pycnogelol. I can't personally say that I have seen any skin benefit at all, but it has helped me from an inflammation standpoint.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/?term=Pycnogelol

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:48 am      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
Here are some additional studies on pycnogelol. I can't personally say that I have seen any skin benefit at all, but it has helped me from an inflammation standpoint.

How so? And how did you know that it helped your inflammation?

Also, how long did you take it, and did it lighten your skin at all?
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:08 am      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
bethany wrote:

How so? And how did you know that it helped your inflammation?

Also, how long did you take it, and did it lighten your skin at all?

I discussed this briefly on page 1 of this thread. I had a 4.5 hour surgery on my septum, and even 18 months later the tip of my nose still had residual swelling. If I took the pycnogelol, within about 24 hours the tip of my nose would shrink by about a third. I have been taking it on and off for a couple of years, but I have not seen any lightening of my skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:15 am      Reply with quote
For those who are concerned about the side effects of Pycnogenol, you may consider Lutein as a skin supplement. The studies have shown that it improves skin hydration and is effective against UVA rays. I combine it with heliocare, astaxathin and lycopene for internal sun protection.
AngelaE8654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:06 am      Reply with quote
LondonJamie wrote:
For those who are concerned about the side effects of Pycnogenol, you may consider Lutein as a skin supplement. The studies have shown that it improves skin hydration and is effective against UVA rays. I combine it with heliocare, astaxathin and lycopene for internal sun protection.

If you are eating Lutein rich foods (broccoli, spinach, kale, corn, orange pepper), you might want to think about adding avocado oil or avocado to it, as that enhances absorption:

Quote:
The study suggests that addition of avocado (half or whole fruit, equivalent to 75 or 150g avocado, respectively) enhances carotenoid absorption to an extent similar to that of an equivalent amount of added oil. The absorption of carotenoids from salad was very low when consumed alone. The addition of lipids in form of avocado fruit or oil is suggested to provide a healthy way of helping the body absorb the nutrient.

http://www.naturalhealthresearch.org/nhri/avocado-enhances-absorption-of-powerful-antioxidants/

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
AngelaE8654 wrote:
LondonJamie wrote:

If you are eating Lutein rich foods (broccoli, spinach, kale, corn, orange pepper), you might want to think about adding avocado oil or avocado to it, as that enhances absorption:

Quote:
The study suggests that addition of avocado (half or whole fruit, equivalent to 75 or 150g avocado, respectively) enhances carotenoid absorption to an extent similar to that of an equivalent amount of added oil. The absorption of carotenoids from salad was very low when consumed alone. The addition of lipids in form of avocado fruit or oil is suggested to provide a healthy way of helping the body absorb the nutrient.

http://www.naturalhealthresearch.org/nhri/avocado-enhances-absorption-of-powerful-antioxidants/

I love avocado and eat it often. Cool
AngelaE8654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:16 pm      Reply with quote
bellabambiiina wrote:

That's great; I'll bet you've been getting a lot more out of your carotenoids than many folks. Myself, I don't dislike it; it just wasn't something that I ate very often. Now that I know this, I add a smidge of red palm oil and avocado oil to any veggies that I eat. Red Palm Oil is super high in carotenoids.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:28 am      Reply with quote
AngelaE8654 wrote:
bellabambiiina wrote:

That's great; I'll bet you've been getting a lot more out of your carotenoids than many folks. Myself, I don't dislike it; it just wasn't something that I ate very often. Now that I know this, I add a smidge of red palm oil and avocado oil to any veggies that I eat. Red Palm Oil is super high in carotenoids.

I thought it was a pretty well known fact that the fat soluble nutrients are better absorbed in the body when taken with some fat. That includes lycopene and even curcumin I think (in turmeric). The Indian method of heating spices like turmeric in oil in cooking seems to have some benefit.

I love avocados, and I usually buy them at a warehouse club like Sam's or BJ's (member at both) in a 5 pack for about $5 or so. I eat them alongside sandwiches or in salads.
bellabambiiina
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:30 am      Reply with quote
BTW I just got some pycnogenol, but a pretty low dose capsule (30 mg). Took the first one yesterday,
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:51 am      Reply with quote
AngelaE8654 wrote:

I've used that product and it's pretty good. Swanson Health Products has a Pycnogenol Cream too, which I've also used. Here is one of the reviews:

AngelaE8654,

I'm glad to hear that you liked the pycnogenol toner.

If you don't mind me asking, exactly why did you like it so much? Precisely how did it affect your skin (ie--moisture, texture, discoloration, firmness, etc)?

And how does this compare to other toners that you've used? What other toners would you say are as good or better than it?
AngelaE8654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:08 am      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
AngelaE8654 wrote:

I've used that product and it's pretty good. Swanson Health Products has a Pycnogenol Cream too, which I've also used. Here is one of the reviews:

AngelaE8654,

I'm glad to hear that you liked the pycnogenol toner.

If you don't mind me asking, exactly why did you like it so much? Precisely how did it affect your skin (ie--moisture, texture, discoloration, firmness, etc)?

And how does this compare to other toners that you've used? What other toners would you say are as good or better than it?

There was no discoloration in my skin when using the toner. I liked it because my skin felt "clean" and clear after use. My all time FAVORITE toner, however, is the UNT Prodige Pro-Youth Tonic Plant Stem Cell Rejuvenating Toner. This is because it contains:

They further encapsulate genistein in liposome to ensure that maximum benefits of the PRODIGE ensemble are delivered to the targeted skin layers.

http://www.amazon.com/UNT-Prodige-Pro-Youth-Tonic-Rejuvenating/dp/B005N6WUAY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1H3VQIIH4S4OM&coliid=IHR8FIDHB4Z0C

This type of a formulation has been proven to thicken skin:

Quote:
Study on the Efficacy of Liposomal Genistein in an Anti-Aging Formulation:

A cream containing 90 mg/kg genistein, encapsulated into lecithin liposomes, was tested in a study with 20 women between age 55 and 64. The product was applied twice daily on the inner side of the forearm.

The same cream without genistein served as a control. Several skin parameters were measured after 2 and 3 months of product application, including skin thickness by ultrasonic measurement, skin firmness by cutometry, skin roughness by a digital micromirror device and skin hydration by corneometry. All skin parameters were determined 8 to 12 hours after the last product application.

After 3 months, skin thickness in subjects using the genistein cream had increased by 11 %. In comparison, skin thickness in subjects using the
control cream did not change significantly (Figure 4).

http://www.mibellebiochemistry.com/pdfs/Use_of_Soy_Isoflavones_for_Stimulation_of_Skin_Collagen_Synthesis_CosmeticsDesign_February_2008.pdf

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:34 am      Reply with quote
Angela,

The UNT toner also looks interesting.

Btw, if anyone is curious, here's the complete ingredient list for the UNT toner:

Water, Niacinamide, 2-Methyl-1,3-Propanediol, Hydroxyethyl Urea, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Algae Extract, Honey Extract, Glycosyl Trehalose, Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate, Ethylhexylglycerin, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylates Crosspolymer, Malus Domestica Fruit Cell Culture, Xanthan Gum, Phospholipids, Phenoxyethanol, Alpinia Galanga Leaf Extract, Propanediol, Baicalin, Lecithin, Soya Isoflavones, Polysorbate 80, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizinate, Phytosphingosine, Phytosphingosine HCL, Hydrolyzed Conchiolin Protein, PPG-26-Buteth-26, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Perfume.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:46 am      Reply with quote
I also substituted it for reversatol in my supplement arsenal.
I know a lot of my friends also take it for jet lag as well.
My skin does look better or holds its hydration better, when I take it.
It is not a cheap substitute so I alternate it on and off.
Supplements can be controversial anyway as far as medical/scientific and testimonials go and there is so much information out there to support an argument on either side.
I do what works best for me and I know my own body. This is one that I like and is on my keeper list.
I wouldn't mind trying the toner as well. I use the Russell Organics Willowbark Toner, which is awesome. Now if only they incorporate this into it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:42 am      Reply with quote
I should also add that it is supposed to be good for rosacea and menopause but I don't take it in the full dosage, I just add the minimum.
Also, I take the standardized Pine Bark now which is basically:

"Pine bark extract is made from the bark of the maritime pine tree (Pinus pinaster), which contains naturally occurring chemicals called proanthocyanidins. The maritime pine is native to the western Mediterranean, with a range extending over Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, and Morocco. Pine bark extract is commonly sold under the brand name Pycnogenol. Pycnogenol is also the name of a group of compounds that contain proanthocyanidins taken from a number of natural sources, such as grape seeds (see Grapes) and other plants. In addition to the Pycnogenol brand, there are several other pine bark extract supplements available, which may use different types of pine bark and have different formulations."

I have taken both and noticed no difference other than the price. I do sometimes take grape seed extract, so maybe that is why.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:15 am      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
I wouldn't mind trying the toner as well. I use the Russell Organics Willowbark Toner, which is awesome. Now if only they incorporate this into it!

Annie,

Have you thought of adding pycnogenol (aka pine bark extract) to your current toner?
Do you think that might work?

If you do decide to do it, please keep us updated. Smile
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
I guess just by opening up a capsule? Mmmmm... might have to try that. I have new shipment coming in next week since I just ran out. This was a good reminder! I will check it out and get back to you.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:54 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
I guess just by opening up a capsule? Mmmmm... might have to try that. I have new shipment coming in next week since I just ran out. This was a good reminder! I will check it out and get back to you.

Will it really penetrate that way?

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
AnnieR wrote:

Will it really penetrate that way?

as long as the capsules does not contain any irritants and one dissolves the content properly, it should be fine, however for better penetration it should be mixed in an emulsion as water/toner ll evaporate quickly....
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:20 pm      Reply with quote
I'm going to try the pycnogenol toner. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

I'll let you all know how it goes.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:10 am      Reply with quote
Do you think there are any more benefits from using the supplement topically than internally?
Or what about both?

Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:31 am      Reply with quote
adding these related posts from http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=49536

VeronicaM wrote:
Just saw this liquid pycnogenol supplement.

Thought that it might interest others:

http://www.evitamins.com/liquid-pyc-pycnogenol-the-nutrition-farm-4278

Marie-Andrée wrote:
Pycnogenol is very water-soluble. The brand that you gave a link to contains sorbitol as a sweetener and sodium benzoate.
I would get the supplement in capsule form. It's easy to open up the capsule and add it to anything. It would be cheaper too.
I buy the Healthy Origins brand at iherb. It's 100 mg.

VeronicaM wrote:
That's good to know.
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:21 am      Reply with quote
I can honestly say that I think Pycnogenol is the only internal supplement that helped with my melasma. I had/have it pretty badly (got it right at peri meno when my hormones went whacko) and after about 6 months of taking the Pycnogenol (I use Source Naturals - was using the one with GrapeSeed Extract, but now just use the plain Pycn. (75 mg).) I started to see positive changes. Like it's barely noticeable on my right cheek. Left is more stubborn but it has broken up in so many spots and I had this huge solid patch. I have been using it for almost two years now... I gotta say, it's one of my favorite supplements. No averse side effects for me, thankfully. Post menopause, my skin looks pretty decent considering I have no estrogen! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:36 am      Reply with quote
Mariav wrote:
I can honestly say that I think Pycnogenol is the only internal supplement that helped with my melasma. I had/have it pretty badly (got it right at peri meno when my hormones went whacko) and after about 6 months of taking the Pycnogenol (I use Source Naturals - was using the one with GrapeSeed Extract, but now just use the plain Pycn. (75 mg).) I started to see positive changes. Like it's barely noticeable on my right cheek. Left is more stubborn but it has broken up in so many spots and I had this huge solid patch. I have been using it for almost two years now... I gotta say, it's one of my favorite supplements. No averse side effects for me, thankfully. Post menopause, my skin looks pretty decent considering I have no estrogen! Laughing

I posted this on another thread, but Dr. Thornfeldt of Epionce recommends 300mg of Pycnogenol a day to help with pigmentation.

Mariav - I am glad you have seen so much improvement with it. I need to be more diligent about taking mine.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
EmerginC products contain pine bark extract, which I believe (but am not entirely sure) is nearly identical to pycnogenol.

Here's one of their moisturizers which, to me, looks like a solid product:

http://www.skinstore.com/p-15737-emerginc-scientific-organics-phytocell-cream.aspx
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:39 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |