Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Being called Ma'am..
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:43 pm      Reply with quote
You've given me something to think about. I've always tried to be as laid back as possible... expecting everyone to call me by my first name, and nothing else. Of course, I'm not a teacher, or ever around many kids.

And in Vancouver, I rarely hear the term Ma'am or Auntie at all and never have used it. Though interestingly, when I was a kid, older friends & neighbours were all "Mrs.." and "Mr.." even by my parents if they were the same age, regardless of how close they were! I thought it was a British thing.

But as far as respect, that's something to consider. I may have taken it too far, and might not be paid the respect I should be at this point in life by people (without a clue, there are always a few), simply because I look, dress and perhaps act quite young in mid-life, working in the entertainment industry.

But when I worked in a university setting, only a couple of older professors preferred to be called "Professor" by the staff. And only a couple from foreign countries ever referred to each other that formally. We of course expected students to refer to all of them as Professor, but never staff by anything but first names.

So it might be a cultural thing, or even a MULTI-cultural thing. Being in Vancouver, with SO MANY e.s.l. people around now, we're just happy when we can communicate with one another, never mind formality! Polite body language, good spirit, i.e. positive intent, become everything, and I DO expect, even demand, that. You can recognize quite quickly even without words when you're being disrespected, and that is not cool. I'll definitely give them hell or simply a dirty look, before walking away.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:21 am      Reply with quote
I agree. I think that respect is something you can pick up on from any age from tone, body language, eye contact and voice as well. In written words as well, with language as a lost art.
We are in a service industry (Real Estate/Home inspection company)where I speak to as many as 50 different people a day, in all walks of life and culture. We are a family biz and I have been the face/voice of the office for 29 plus years. It is important that our professionalism, friendliness and respect come across thru the phone as I am the first one they hear. So how hard is that?
Not that hard. I always have a smile in my voice, patience in my tone and respect in my words for that other person on the line, no matter what my day.
The boys (my hubby and son who are the inspectors) do get feedback all the time in the field about how wonderful/welcoming that first voice they spoke with made them feel and that it cinched the job for our company. That makes it all worth it for me.
So, yes I am saying Ma'm or Sir on the phone to someone who I don't even know their age but I do it as respect. Never had a person yet seem offended or to reprimand me.
My favorite Maya Angelou quote:
”I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
Respect and empathy is what keeps us civilized and in touch with humanity in my opinion.
I live that daily.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:

... I always have a smile in my voice, patience in my tone and respect in my words for that other person on the line, no matter what my day...

...So, yes I am saying Ma'm or Sir on the phone to someone who I don't even know their age but I do it as respect. Never had a person yet seem offended or to reprimand me.

My favorite Maya Angelou quote:
”I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”

Respect and empathy is what keeps us civilized and in touch with humanity in my opinion...

your post ^^ truly made-my-day!!!

made me, also, realize that i've never felt
inclined to use *MISS* when talking over the phone with female strangers, but tend to default to using *M'AM*. However, face-to-face, I second-guess myself as to whether to use one salutation/recognition over another.

i just love your take on *attitude* and *professional-demeanor*

i, also, do cherish Maya Angelou's quote (my underlined ^^).
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:45 am      Reply with quote
Awww, thanks so much!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
yw..... Smile
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:27 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |