Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Antioxidant supplements for skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
Hi
i wish to know what type of antioxidant supplements are your taking for skin other than
Vit A C and E.

Thanks
SnowFairy
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
Selenium
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:41 pm      Reply with quote
Vitamin K - don't know if it is an antioxident, but it is supposed to strengthen capillaries, which I could use.
rebecca87coster

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:51 am      Reply with quote
1. Research has found that vitamins C and E, as well as selenium, can help protect the skin against sun damage and skin cancer.
2. Coenzyme Q10 is a natural antioxidant in the body that helps the cells grow and protects them from the ravages of cancer.
3. Alpha-lipoic Acid antioxidant, when applied topically as a cream, may help protect the skin from sun damage.
4. Topical retinoic acid treats fine wrinkles, age spots, and rough skin caused by sun exposure.
5. Green tea and yes, even chocolate, just might help improve your skin.
6. The B vitamins are essential for cells throughout the body, including skin cells. It's important to get enough of foods rich in B vitamins, such as chicken, eggs, and fortified grain products.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:10 am      Reply with quote
I take and have done for years Imedeen and love it. I had to move up to their menopause one a few years ago (okay like 12) and it definitely helped me out a lot more than the regular one.
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:13 pm      Reply with quote
For alpha lipoic acid, can i eat it instead of applying?

also for green tea can i drink instead of applying the extract found in creams?
anhyalo
5% products discount

Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:39 pm      Reply with quote
You can buy tons of supplements, such as Antioxidant Plus, at your local Walmart or Pharmacy for very cheap, and they have all the antioxidants you want right in them.

Eating foods like berries, pomegranates, broccoli, garlic, tomatoes and other whole natural foods will give you tons of antioxidants. Yes drinking green tea will give you all the antioxidant benefits!

Applying topical serums (such as C-Serums) are more powerful though because they deliver the antioxidants direclty to your skin. If you're interested in this though I would try something like a SilkPeel, which is a treatment where the top dead layer of skin is removed (similar to microdermabrasion), then topical solutions are applied to your skin (such as concentrated vitamin C), and this allows it to be super-effective because the solution doesn't have that dead skin barrier to cross anymore.
annacarla
5% products discount

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:05 am      Reply with quote
Supplements that I really saw working on my skin!

Omega 3 supplements - (now I switched to krill oil) omega 3 made the texture of my skin softer and moist but made me prone to bruising.

pycnogenol - (but will switch to the cheaper grape seed extract because after some research both contain proanthocyanidins so basically same thing but from different sources) Lightened some dark spots.

NAG - For detox but brightened my skin
Silymarin - same effect with the nag
MSM - I forgot what it's for and I'm not sure what it's doing to my skin but I'm sure I purchased it for that purpose so I guess you could leave this out.

I'm taking these to deal with hyperpigmentation and sundamage on the skin in my body and to make my skin glow and become even. They work and I saw the effects around 6 months time. The most significant thing that I noticed with my skin is when I started taking omega 3 but like what I've said I got prone to bruising when I bump or scratch myself but nothing serious just that.

I take multivitamins too and vitamin c. I know they are doing their thing but the effects are not obvious compared to the ones I'm taking above. I don't exceed dosage too, I just follow whatever is instructed on the bottle Wink
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:29 am      Reply with quote
annacarla wrote:
Supplements that I really saw working on my skin!

Omega 3 supplements - (now I switched to krill oil) omega 3 made the texture of my skin softer and moist but made me prone to bruising.

pycnogenol - (but will switch to the cheaper grape seed extract because after some research both contain proanthocyanidins so basically same thing but from different sources) Lightened some dark spots.

NAG - For detox but brightened my skin
Silymarin - same effect with the nag
MSM - I forgot what it's for and I'm not sure what it's doing to my skin but I'm sure I purchased it for that purpose so I guess you could leave this out.

I'm taking these to deal with hyperpigmentation and sundamage on the skin in my body and to make my skin glow and become even. They work and I saw the effects around 6 months time. The most significant thing that I noticed with my skin is when I started taking omega 3 but like what I've said I got prone to bruising when I bump or scratch myself but nothing serious just that.

I take multivitamins too and vitamin c. I know they are doing their thing but the effects are not obvious compared to the ones I'm taking above. I don't exceed dosage too, I just follow whatever is instructed on the bottle Wink

what is nag? did you have hair loss, constipation, bloating weight gains, digestive problems on msn?

any digestive probs on pcynogenol too?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:53 am      Reply with quote
Both green tea and ALA you can apply and eat, but which one will give you better benefits is uncertain and probably you need to do both!
Salome_B wrote:

Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:00 am      Reply with quote
TheresaMary wrote:
Both green tea and ALA you can apply and eat, but which one will give you better benefits is uncertain and probably you need to do both!
Salome_B wrote:

i do drink green tea everyday. i am searching for a green tea extract mosituriser. i will leave the ala supplement out. i did not have good experience with coq10 and msm. rather bad things happened. so quite wary and i want to let my body go back to normal
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:26 am      Reply with quote
I’ve used regular green tea as a toner after I cleansed, and I think someone here mentioned to me to do that and I didn’t feel any skin tightening, but it definitely improved my skin.

MSM and Q10, that’s quite a combo and it doesn’t surprise me that you had bad things happen. With supplements you shouldn’t take a heap of new ones together, but you should introduce them slowly. When I first tried MSM I had capsules and they gave me terrible results and then I stayed away from it like you until someone mentioned a different kind, a powder and that worked better for me and tasted nicer too!
Salome_B wrote:
TheresaMary wrote:
Salome_B wrote:

i do drink green tea everyday. i am searching for a green tea extract mosituriser. i will leave the ala supplement out. i did not have good experience with coq10 and msm. rather bad things happened. so quite wary and i want to let my body go back to normal
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
Hi theresamary,

i took the coq10 and msm separately, first was coq10 dr's best with bioperrine, dried my skin out and thinned my hair. i let my body rest a month and took optimsm by source naturals. ha hair shed and bloating and constipation and digestive probs. now still not back to normal. guess i have to eat more natural foods.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:47 am      Reply with quote
Do any of you have a source for green tea extract as an active topical ingredient for DIY?

Thanks, BFG
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:57 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
Do any of you have a source for green tea extract as an active topical ingredient for DIY?

Thanks, BFG

BFG,

Here you go:

http://bulkactives.com/teapolyphenols.htm

http://stores.skinessentialactives.com/-strse-141/Green-Tea-Extract-EGCG/Detail.bok

http://stores.skinessentialactives.com/-strse-120/Green-Tea-Extract-EGCG/Detail.bok

http://www.skinactives.com/Green-Tea-Extract-with-Caffeine.html

http://www.skinactives.com/Green-Tea-Extract-with-EGCG.html
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:10 am      Reply with quote
thank you so much - looks like I am back in the skin kitchen Bad Grin

BFG
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
What will you use as the base product for the green tea extract.
Thanks.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:54 pm      Reply with quote
I like lycopene. It conveys some protective action against the sun. I do not get as bad of a redneck suntan when I take it.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:42 am      Reply with quote
I am thinking of adding green tea extract to my rolling/needling serums based on info I picked up at the conference.

BFG

PS - lycopene is a great one - lots of good data on this one
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:39 am      Reply with quote
Green tea extract and grape seed extract is one of the best combos ever.

I really like astaxanthin in addition to everything already mentioned. 6mg per day is enough to give your skin sun protection. It and lutein are very good for the eyes too.
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:32 pm      Reply with quote
Yubs wrote:
I like lycopene. It conveys some protective action against the sun. I do not get as bad of a redneck suntan when I take it.

Ha, brings back memories...I spent one summer wolfing down tomato paste for two weeks prior to a week long beach trip to see if it helped. I usually burn really easily. It did help! The pills would be easier than the recommended 5TB per day of tomato paste.
Bluegentian
5% products discount

Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:37 am      Reply with quote
It's quite hard finding one product with all the 'must haves' I came across EmerginC, which sounded good but is only available in the US I think. Does anyone have a miracle product for those based in UK? I'm not in to making my own. I can find things with some A, C & E in (lots including Dermalogica, Murad) but not one that contains Vit K as well. Also, if you're using a high strength retinol product maybe we shouldn't apply extra Vit A?
beccachan
5% products discount

Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
grape seed extract.
make sure the active constituent is OPCs or not.
because OPCs can go through the blood brain barrier.
Yubs
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
Ha, brings back memories...I spent one summer wolfing down tomato paste for two weeks prior to a week long beach trip to see if it helped. I usually burn really easily. It did help! The pills would be easier than the recommended 5TB per day of tomato paste.

LOL Shasta! Yes, I strongly suspect the pills are much easier! Wink

Also want to mention CoQ10 and Biosil (activated silicon). Q10 is also very good for gums.

Also, like mismis, Vitamin K. I've been doing this one on and off for a couple years but finally wedded to it. I like Thorne K2 which is a little pricey but good quality and worth it. In addition to benefits to the circulatory system and skin, K is supposed to help prevent and reverse bone loss, prevent calcification in areas that don't need calcification (think arteries), and help with insulin resistance (by helping cells become more sensitive to insulin).
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:40 pm      Reply with quote
I've been taking astaxanthin instead of the tomato paste now. Smile Smile

Astaxanthin helps to protect the skin from sun (not a replacement for sunscreen!)and provides other skin and body benefits.

This article gives a good summary, plus contains a long list of references to various studies done. Astaxanthin from marine algae is recommended over the synthetic variety.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/suzy-cohen-rph/astaxanthin_b_2750910.html
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:05 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |