Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Motivation to exercise
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:34 pm      Reply with quote
Hello all,
Wondering what tricks or tips you use to motivate yourself to exercise? I am 5'7 and a now soggy 120 pounds with some extra fat pads in places I don't want them to be. I used to be in great shape, loved my gadgets to enhance it, but after the last six months of doing absolutely nothing due to depression or whatever, I no longer look it. I hate the gym, I despise exercise in all forms. I don't get that "high" or even a sense of accomplishment when I'm done. I actually feel really crabby if I have to get off my seat. Formerly, vanity has been the only thing that kept it going, and I'm finding myself more and more complacent and comfortable with my body the older I get (aka lazy). Any tricks you'd like to share?

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:15 am      Reply with quote
As Lousie Hay says: Find an exercise that you enjoy... Life is too short to spend it doing things you don't. Try out different things. There is something for everyone be it kayaking, rollerblading, karate, surfing, rock climbing, contortion, yoga etc.

The latest word in the longevity/ anti-aging world is that short bursts of high intensity exercise is better than many hours spent in the gym. Also a few heavy weights is better than lots of little ones. This may make exercising more appealing because it doesn't take long to reap maximum benefits but it still may not be motivating enough for you and you may just end up doing nothing. This is why I think it is best to find an exercise that you enjoy as a baseline and take it from there. Then if you find you want to develop peak fitness you could take up high intensity exercise, weights and stretching etc but at least whatever happens you are still doing some exercise with the activity that you enjoy.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:14 am      Reply with quote
OP,

I don't think that being 5'7" and 120 lbs is bad at all. In fact, many women would love those measurements.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:20 am      Reply with quote
I work out of my home, so it is pretty hard. I love the Body Sculpt series, which I tape and do at my pace. I also walk some eveings with the hubby and do small bursts of walking/jumping on my mini-trampoline throughout the day. If not, I would be stuck at my desk with no excercise in between from 8 am-6 pm and that makes me a slug and hurts my back.
The biggest motivator is like right now, after the holidays, when I do not feel at my best. A little more sluggish, flabby around the middle and my fave jeans are a little snugger than I like. When I don't feel at my my topform it def motivates me to get up and keep moving!

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:09 am      Reply with quote
The only thing I really like to do besides walking is dance - I remember when I was younger and we'd be out at the dance clubs virtually dancing all night and the next day I swear I'd be down a pound or two! From what I've read, there are actual dance/fitness places popping up all across the country and that's what you do - just DANCE! (hasn't made it to my neck of the woods yet) I enjoy Zumba - but what's also interesting to me is that if it's an hour class I dread going... but when she (the instructor)does 30 minutes of zumba and 15 minutes of target toning or weight(s) I enjoy going... so for me, if it's 30-45 minutes of exercies that I'm getting I'm much more inclined to do it...

Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:14 pm      Reply with quote
I made New Years resolutions, but I was being very lazy about exercising until the other day when I caught sight of my naked butt in the mirror. We're talking wrinkly pancake. My ass is now pleasantly sore from the hour of Callanetics I did yesterday. I'll be doing an hour at least 3 times a week. If I falter, I'll just look at my butt again.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:55 pm      Reply with quote
I've always been skinny, but I'm now flabby Sad
Happened fast this time, getting older. I really need to build some muscle. Losing weight has never been an issue but the hard work to tone seems impossible lately.

Maybe I need a full length mirror- I will also find a crinkly saggy butt!! Laughing

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:39 am      Reply with quote
Immacolata wrote:
I made New Years resolutions, but I was being very lazy about exercising until the other day when I caught sight of my naked butt in the mirror. We're talking wrinkly pancake. My ass is now pleasantly sore from the hour of Callanetics I did yesterday. I'll be doing an hour at least 3 times a week. If I falter, I'll just look at my butt again.

I bought the 10 years younger DVD on the raving reviews I have read on EDS and the internet. The furthest Ive got from actually doing the exercises though is sitting on my computer and watching the video. Can't bring myself to do them because some of the exercises look really hard and gruelling like the abs workout. Do you enjoy the exercises? Do they get easier to do?
zizi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:51 am      Reply with quote
On the subject of callanetics..is it more for toning. I also have the 10years younger dvd, and not started it yet...so if I am 10lbs overweight, should I lose that first before doing callanetics? I heard its a very fast results exercise. But i dont want to tone the fat, so wondering if I should hold off the callanetics and do cardio first?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:25 am      Reply with quote
10 years younger - oh gosh I need that exercise dvd for sure. Let me search for that info
zizi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:41 am      Reply with quote
theresamary

its gets better...its 10years younger in 10 HOURS!!! Very Happy
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
Callanetics works better and faster than anything I've ever used. This includes workouts at the spa with all the fancy equipment, and any aerobics (YUCK) class I ever took.

They are hard, and no, they are not fun, unless you enjoy that sort of thing. I do not. I would rather spend my time on the computer, or watching a movie, or walking the dogs. But a girl's gotta do what she's gotta do! These keep me out of the gym (I wouldn't go even if I did join) and I split the workout up and do them throughout the day - Waist, arms and legs in the morning, stomach in the afternoon, butt in the evening.

I walk every day, a lot, and that takes care of my cardio health, and I don't have a weight problem because of how/what I eat, but my thighs and butt have gotten very flabby. Stomach, not so much, but it could be flatter. With Callanetics, I know that by the time by birthday rolls around (end of April) I'll be able to not only buy the bikini I've been eyeing on Victoria's Secret, I'll be able to wear it!

They work fastest on skinny, flabby women, but they work on ALL women. If you're overweight, diet and do these exercises - they will pull you in and make you inches smaller than diet alone. They are really great for picking up your bottom and putting it back where it's supposed to be. The stomach exercises won't give you a six pack, but they will give you a smooth, flat tummy.

And I've mentioned this before - sex gets better. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:04 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks!! I will definitely check it out. I should warn you though, I don't know if I'm coordinated enough for these exercises. I struggle with workout videos even because I'm just not athletic. I'm surprised I make it from my car to my porch without falling.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:36 pm      Reply with quote
Hello Ava with wings Smile I think to keep you motivated, place a good picture of yourself somewhere to remind you. I know it is hard to get up and do some form of exercise to keep in shape, but start with baby steps i.e. short walk around the park with a dog (if you have one) or walk with a friend to start.... OR go window shopping with a friend so you can walk searching for good deals... It is a fun way to spend the day outside with a friend and not thinking that it is really a "walking exercise" for you and your friend.....
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
They don't take coordination, just motivation. You don't need to be graceful, you just need to pay careful attention to form. At first it will be difficult, but even TRYING to make the tiny movements that are called for, works the muscle.

Fair warning - they are very different from your average exercise. But in this case, different = better and faster!

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:42 am      Reply with quote
The problem is lack of motivation and laziness. Laziness can become "lack of energy"...... Need to start somewhere. I know this is better than your average exercise. But we are talking about long-term goals here to keep fit and in shape..... Once she is able to "get-up" and "get motivated", then she can do your suggestion (I think)....

Immacolata wrote:
they are very different from your average exercise. But in this case, different = better and faster!
NuvosaAdrian
5% products discount

Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:07 am      Reply with quote
5'7" and 120 pounds? Aren't you being too hard on yourself? A lot of women your height would love those measurements.

Anyways, just go find a physical activity that you like. Enjoy whatever it is your doing and try to do it without thinking about why you're doing it...if you do that, it's going to feel like a chore.

Have fun. Start by getting out of the house. Fresh air will do you good. And can even give you the jump start you need.
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:13 am      Reply with quote
Jade, they work so quickly that it's motivation in itself. But I agree, STARTING is the hard part. I can sympathize - I am the world's best (worst?) procrastinator - why do today what you can put off until infinity is my motto, at least sometimes it feels that way. So you know that the sight of my naked butt was frightening indeed, if it got me out of my chair!

The 10 hours bit is a little misleading. Few are going to be able to follow along and do the full workout in one hour, without pooping out. I started off with 35 reps of most the exercises, and took breaks. Like I said above, I break an hour into three parts. I also skip a couple of the exercises - I don't do the "open and close" or the pelvic figure 8 exercise (forget what it's called) - they were too hard at the beginning and by the time I could do them I had my routine down, and it had worked PHENOMENALLY without those two exercises.

Anyway, even starting small, 25-35 reps, you'll feel results right away, and start seeing them shortly after. I can't recommend this routine enough.

Edited to add - this is my second go round with Callanetics. Before, when I used the program, I was about 20 pounds overweight (or so I thought) and was dieting at the same time. I ended up losing only 10 lbs and getting smaller and tighter than I had been at age 16. As the years went by, I lost interest in keeping up my body and only did the exercises sporadically, then not at all. But I want that dang bikini - I want to go to the beach without scaring the little kids! LOL

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:40 am      Reply with quote
Most important thing is choose an exercise that you like to do. If you don't like the exercise that is suggested, you won't follow through, long term. To keep fit is not a fad, but a long term commitment, so if you pick out an exercise you enjoy, most likely you will stick to it...
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:54 am      Reply with quote
Quote:
its gets better...its 10years younger in 10 HOURS!!!
LOL Zizi Laughing

Quote:
I split the workout up and do them throughout the day

What a great idea Immacolata. I will try doing the same. Always have preferred short intense bursts of exercise over long drawn out episodes. Great to know you can tweak the programme and still get great results also. You sound very committed Immacolata - am sure you will be the belle of the beach in your Victoria's Secret Bikini and the children will love you Very Happy
zizi
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
Immacolata, how many times a week do you think you should do callanetics to see visible results, and did you break them up, but do them on the same day? your post is inspiring! I hope to get some results too!
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
Originally, she recommended one hour, twice a week. I do about 3 hours a week - I exercise about every day. Many times I leave a few reps out and do them the next day. I am pretty easy on myself. Once I start doing them, I generally finish. It's getting started that's the problem....LOL

With Callanetics, the movements are so small and precise that you don't really need a warm up - my morning walk with the doggies more than suffices.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
Walking is probably the simplest way to go at first. Get an mp3 player and put all your favorite music on it. This makes a huge difference! I can walk for hours with music but I'm miserable walking without it. I like the sansa clip+ for walking because it's so tiny and light.

Btw, how do you guys post images in posts? I wanted to post a photo to show how tiny the sansa is.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:52 pm      Reply with quote
To all the people that keep saying 5'7 and 120 pounds, please read what I wrote!!! Skinny does not mean healthy!!!!!! I merely said that to illustrate that I do not need to lose weight but am still a couch potato.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
Tell it, sister! I'm with you - I'm skinny, look great in clothes, but dammit, I wanna look good naked! LOL

Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:39 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |