Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

How Important is Vitamin C in Skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
ReCverin
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:05 pm      Reply with quote
The distribution of vitamin C varies widely in the tissues of the human body. For example, the brain has a concentration of vitamin C about 15 times higher than the blood. The levels in most tissues have been measured many times, and it is well-known that the lenses of the eye, the adrenal glands, and the pituitary gland have the highest concentrations…in the range of 25 – 50 mg per 100 grams of tissue, values that are at least 25 – 50 times higher than found in the blood plasma. It is clear that vitamin C is more important in some tissues than others.

Interestingly, the levels in human skin have only rarely been measured. In my research, I have found two different studies where human skin levels were measured: according to Shindo et al, skin contains about 34 mg/100g, and according to McArdle et al, the value is about 32 mg/100g. If these measurements are correct, then human skin has a higher concentration of vitamin C than almost all other human tissues.

And here’s a fascinating calculation: The skin of an average size person weighs about 2500 grams, so the amount of vitamin C in a normal person’s skin is apparently about 800 mg. The total amount of vitamin C in the whole body is estimated to be about 1500 mg (Kallner et al), so it appears that about half of the vitamin C in a normal person’s body is found in their skin!

Shindo Y, Witt E, Han D, Epstein W, Packer L (1994) Enzymic and non-enzymic antioxidants in epidermis and dermis of human skin. J Invest Dermatol 102: 122-124.
McArdle F, Rhodes LE, Parslew R, Jack CI, Friedmann PS, et al. (2002) UVR-induced oxidative stress in human skin in vivo: effects of oral vitamin C supplementation. Free Radic Biol Med 33: 1355-1362
Kallner A, Hartmann D, Hornig D (1979) Steady-state turnover and body pool of ascorbic acid in man. Am J Clin Nutr 32: 530-539.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:21 am      Reply with quote
Vitamin c is important because it helps repair damage due to free radicals such as pollution etc. our cells are made up of bunch of electrons. We need a balanced amount of electrons to be happy. Free radicals will interfere and take out our electrons (causing wrinkles and all that unwanted stuff). So that's why vitamin c is there for a just in case free radicals take away a cells electron, vitamin c has the ability to replace An electron to make a cell balanced and happy. This is why the choice of vit c is important and you want it to be active and not oxidized

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:06 am      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:
...our cells are made up of bunch of electrons. We need a balanced amount of electrons to be happy. Free radicals will interfere and take out our electrons (causing wrinkles and all that unwanted stuff). So that's why vitamin c is there for a just in case free radicals take away a cells electron, vitamin c has the ability to replace An electron to make a cell balanced and happy.

I like your way of describing the major function of vitamin C because it is simple and accurate. Being an electron donor is what makes ascorbic acid a "reducing agent," and it becomes "oxidized" when it has given up electrons. Then the cells recycle the oxidized molecules of vitamin C by "reducing" them back into ascorbic acid molecules. Each molecule is used over and over again, in a reduction-oxidation cycle (a "redox" cycle)until it finally is "worn out" and needs to be replaced.

BCgirl wrote:
This is why the choice of vit c is important and you want it to be active and not oxidized

But "active" vitamin C has nothing to do with whether or not it is "oxidized." Both the reduced form and the oxidized form are "active" forms of vitamin C because both forms are available for the cell to utilize in the redox cycle. The amazing thing about the oxidized form is that it is absorbed by the skin much easier and faster than the reduced form.
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:20 am      Reply with quote
topical or internal?

if internal is 200mg enough?
cm5597
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:28 am      Reply with quote
I'm also skeptical about the oxidized form being beneficial. I took an advanced nutrition and metabolism course last year, and oxidized vitamin C was not viewed as the active form, nor is it recommended in supplementation by the Institute of Medicine (IOM). Sure, both reduced and oxidized vitamin C participate in redox reactions, but adding more oxidized vitamin C to the system does not allow more free radical to be quenched. In fact, based on reaction dynamics, you would expect that adding more oxidized vitamin C (the product) to the reaction would shift the reaction in favor of the reactants, thereby allowing more free radicals to remain unquenched--which is not a good thing. If you have evidence to the contrary from the literature, could you post it here? Thanks.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:00 am      Reply with quote
Just an FYI that ReCverin is actually a Vit C product/company.

Editing to add a thread they previously started on oxidized Vit C.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=6401134&highlight=#6401134

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:07 am      Reply with quote
cm5597 wrote:
If you have evidence to the contrary from the literature, could you post it here? Thanks.

I'd suggest this article as a start towards a real understanding of the chemical behavior of ascorbic acid and dehydroascorbic acid in the body: Recycling of Vitamin C by a Bystander Effect.

I would also recommend this excellent review article: Deutsch, JC. Dehydroascorbic acid. Journal of Chromatography A, 881 (2000) 299–307. I haven't posted a link because this article is copyrighted and not available for free on the internet. Many university libraries have subscriptions, so it is likely you can get this article free at such a library. But I can post an excerpt from the article, which is pertinent to your statement
cm5597 wrote:
based on reaction dynamics, you would expect that adding more oxidized vitamin C (the product) to the reaction would shift the reaction in favor of the reactants, thereby allowing more free radicals to remain unquenched

"Up until the last few decades, DHA was felt to be a product of AA rather than a species with its own important chemical and biological characteristics. Although both DHA and AA are antiscorbutic when taken orally, DHA has several properties that set it apart from AA...
Although AA is the more highly reduced species in the AA:DHA pair, DHA appears to have antioxidant properties of its own, beyond that of AA."
ReCverin
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
Salome_B wrote:
topical or internal?

I'm among those who believe that BOTH dietary and topical vitamin C are important. I'm also among those who believe that a dietary amount of 200 mg daily is not enough.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
Salome_B wrote:

I never noticed a difference in my skin until I upped my dosage to a full gram of vitamin C a day (1 gram=1000 mgs.) I think any more than that is a total waste, because your body can only absorb so much at a single time. Also, I bet a lot of the C I take just gets "filtered out" into waste anyhow.
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:19 pm      Reply with quote
i take this it has 200mg of ascorbic acid.

http://www.iherb.com/Enzymatic-Therapy-Biotin-Forte-3-mg-with-Zinc-60-Tablets/17829

i am afraid excessive may go to waste
summer2004
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:07 am      Reply with quote
Taking vitamin C every day DOUBLES the risk of painful kidney stones

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2273729/Taking-vitamin-C-day-DOUBLES-risk-painful-kidney-stones.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490#axzz2KbSyT2El
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:11 am      Reply with quote
This was talked about on TV during Daybreak, and they picked it apart. As was pointed out they used a synthetic Vit C supplement in this study, and next to no information about the control group is available aside from age and it was thought that the control group used had other influences in relation to the production of kidney stones. So I'm throwing this study to the side.

I think like most things its a scary story when you first hear it, but I felt so much better after hearing Dr Hilary etc talking about it on daybreak for sure!
summer2004 wrote:
Taking vitamin C every day DOUBLES the risk of painful kidney stones

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2273729/Taking-vitamin-C-day-DOUBLES-risk-painful-kidney-stones.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490#axzz2KbSyT2El
ReCverin
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:58 pm      Reply with quote
Salome_B wrote:
i take...200mg of ascorbic acid. I am afraid excessive may go to waste

Chlorophyll wrote:
I never noticed a difference in my skin until I upped my dosage to a full gram of vitamin C a day (1 gram=1000 mgs.) I think any more than that is a total waste...just gets "filtered out" into waste anyhow.

The problem with people is that they are all mutants. Shock

That statement is not intended to offend anyone. It refers to the fact that humans have a genetic defect that prevents us from making vitamin C. In normal mammals, the liver manufactures vitamin C that is continuously delivered into the bloodstream, and the liver can greatly increase the amount produced whenever it is needed. Humans must have ingested a large amount of vitamin C within just a few hours if they expect there to be sufficient amount available in their blood during times of large demand. A significant "waste" of vitamin C in humans is necessary to assure that tissues don't get depleted during times of high oxidative stress, unless we can predict exactly when such periods of high oxidative stress will occur. Can you predict when your skin will be exposed to an infectious bacteria or virus? Or to high atmospheric ozone levels? Or even to intense UV radiation from the sun? You should dramatically increase your vitamin C consumption about 2 to 4 hours prior to any of these events. Whether the amount you need at that time is 200 mg or 1000 mg is anybody's guess. But another way of dealing with the problem for the skin is to use topical vitamin C regularly, because it can increase the amount of vitamin C stored in the skin. A very large amount of vitamin C is needed by the skin, which was the original topic of this thread.
Holmes
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:19 am      Reply with quote
ReCverin,
Thank you for this information.
But what about people like me, who have rosacea?
Vitamin C makes my skin flare up.
ReCverin
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
Holmes wrote:
ReCverin,
Thank you for this information.
But what about people like me, who have rosacea?
Vitamin C makes my skin flare up.

A problem with serums that use l-ascorbic acid (LAA) as the only vitamin C source is that they are generally very strong solutions; 10% or greater is common. LAA absorbs into skin quite slowly, and that is why such high concentrations are used. People with sensitive skin sometimes find these strong serums irritating, and can experience flare-ups like you describe.
The oxidized form of vitamin C (called dehydroascorbic acid, or DHAA) absorbs into the skin 12 times faster than LAA. Each molecule of DHAA is converted into a molecule of LAA once it is absorbed into a living skin cell. Therefore people with sensitive skin can use a lower, much more gentle concentration and still absorb lots of vitamin C.
A previous thread on this forum has more info about DHAA:
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=6401134&highlight=#6401134
cassied

Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:17 pm      Reply with quote
It's important because humans don't naturally produce Vitamin C...we need to get it from an external source, whether that's food (citrus fruits etc) or topical creams (c-serums etc).
ReCverin
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
It's pretty well accepted that ultraviolet light can have serious effects on skin aging, but a study from 2012 tested the effects of the visible light portion of the spectrum and found that even this had detrimental effects. Irradiation of Skin with Visible Light Induces Reactive Oxygen Species and Matrix-Degrading Enzymes

Certainly avoiding excess UV radiation, including the use of sunscreens, should be at the top of everyone's list for routine skin care. I believe that topical vitamin C should be the second most important part, because vitamin C provides photoprotection in a different way that is synergistic with sunscreens. As the authors of this study stated:

"Commercially available sunscreens were found to have minimal effects on reducing visible light-induced ROS, suggesting that UVA/UVB sunscreens do not protect the skin from visible light-induced responses. Using clinical models to assess the generation of free radicals from oxidative stress, higher levels of free radical activity were found after visible light exposure. Pretreatment with a photostable UVA/UVB sunscreen containing an antioxidant combination significantly reduced the production of ROS, cytokines, and MMP expression in vitro, and decreased oxidative stress in human subjects after visible light irradiation."

P.S. Happy New Year!
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |