Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

shampoo/scalp help!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:39 pm      Reply with quote
I get a lot of zits in my hairline and this is what cosmeticscop.com states

Quote:
Breakouts Along the Hairline
If you've been having problems with breakouts along your hairline, you need to be sure they're not caused by your shampoo or conditioner. Change to a shampoo with no conditioning agents (such as protein, silicone, quaternium, or polyquaternium) or thickening agents (such as cetyl alcohol or stearyl alcohol), and use only the smallest amount of conditioner on the ends. If you do this for a few days and the breakouts seem to start clearing up, you'll know you were using products that were too emollient for your scalp. Also, be sure the styling products you use, especially hair sprays, gels, and mousses, don't come into contact with your skin. Styling products are a sure way to encourage breakouts, as the film-forming ingredients are great pore cloggers!
Paula Begoun

Anybody know a shampoo like this?? I'm bad with ingredient lists, and don't know what to recognize as a protein or silicone...
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
Interesting! You could try MOP (Modern Organic Products), they're items use a lot of herbs/vegetables, they smell great and they seem to do the job.
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:53 pm      Reply with quote
Drugstore.com sell MOP products and they ship to Canada, failing that check out their site, you can search for stockists too.
abejita
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:05 pm      Reply with quote
My hubby had the same problem. I had him start using Aveda's Scalp Benefit shampoo, and he doesn't have the problem anymore. Here is the shampoo on the Aveda website...

http://www.aveda.com/templates/products/sp.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY6158&PRODUCT_ID=PROD5941

Liz
Eve
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:45 am      Reply with quote
You could try -
Aveda (I like)
MOP (not tried yet)
JASON (not tried the shampoo yet but I like the stuff for body & face)

Also since it's your hairline a couple of things to consider is your face creams & makeup - do you take this right up in to your hairline? Because that needs to come off when you cleanse.
Mabsy

Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:11 am      Reply with quote
How about Nioxin? I'm not sure about the ingredient list but I do get the same problem as you Lianne and I have no probs when using Nioxin.
guapagirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:19 am      Reply with quote
T gel has a very 'clean' shampoo with no sls either...that may help.
I'm about to buy some Lanza scalp remedy...got a sample off HDD as I have been having the most horrid gross scalp yucks imaginable...I was actually gonna chop my hair it was so bad, but the lanza has cleared it...just gotta face spending £25 on shampoo and conditioner Shock

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:48 am      Reply with quote
TGel the one with coal tar in it was great when I burnt my head Sad (hair dye horror)
skin adict
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:07 am      Reply with quote
My whole scalp is incredibly sensitive and I've switched to shampoos w/ no sodium laurel sulfates (what makes it lather). The one I like most is by Chaz Dean. He's a stylist in Hollywood. There's another one by Terressentials (both have websites). It doesn't lather, but I don't have anymore scalp problems (had something that was almost like a rash or cradle cap in babies).
jcp
5% products discount

Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
I like the Natures Gate Organics shampoos/conditioners. They have an herbal shampoo that doesn't contain sodium laurel sulfates, which is nice. A friend of mine who was losing lots of hair did a bunch a research and discovered that the SLS can cause hair loss, which was part of the reason I switched. You can get them fairly cheaply at vitacost.com.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:33 am      Reply with quote
Thanks ladies for all your suggestions. The only products I can find here are the nioxin and aveda and t-gel. I'm going to give the nioxin a try since my hair is quite thin/fine. I hadn't even thought of it until mabsy suggested it. It supposedly puts the scalp in it's 'ideal' environment promoting health and keeps the pores clear.

I'm sure it's not product I'm using because it's on the back of my neck and behind my ears too. Rolling Eyes
happybunny
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 19, 2005 10:54 am      Reply with quote
guapagirl wrote:
T gel has a very 'clean' shampoo with no sls either...that may help.
I'm about to buy some Lanza scalp remedy...got a sample off HDD as I have been having the most horrid gross scalp yucks imaginable...I was actually gonna chop my hair it was so bad, but the lanza has cleared it...just gotta face spending £25 on shampoo and conditioner Shock

I tried the Lanza too and I didn't have a huge amount of success with it Sad To be honest I prefered Boots own sensitive scalp shampoo (the one in the blue and white bottle). I have also tried the Dr Haushka shampoo & conditioner for sensitive scalps and I wasn't very keen on that either.
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
Aubrey Organics has the best 'all natural' shampoos I have ever tried. Dr. Hauschka's herbal shampoo was nice, but not very impressive for the price!
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 19, 2005 12:36 pm      Reply with quote
chimera, I tried a couple organic brands (Avalon and Jason) with no luck..I'd try aubrey but I can't just pick it up in a store here...

I'll keep searching and tell you girls what works!
chimera
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:47 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried Avalon and Jason too, with no success. Then I took the time to read the label! Lots of unnatural ingredients in those products. Aubrey seems to be 100% natural, at least from what they put on the label. I had mega scalp problems until I switched. Aubrey's is available in most health food stores here -- maybe take a peek the next time you are near one. I can't stand having to order hair products over the web! Blech.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:42 pm      Reply with quote
I bought the Nioxin a week ago because I also have fine/thin hair. I've been using the protectives cleanser and scalp therapy for an entire week and the zits are clearing up.
I've used their bliss leave in treatment periodically too.

The stuff is expensive for haircare, but I'll be sticking with it for a while!!
-rusalka-
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
When my mom was on some rough medications, her hair started thinning out and she freaked. The doctors she goes to put her on DHS shampoo and conditioner (the same stuff I swear helps with millia.) It has no SLS, color, fragrance, protein, or anything from what I'm told (I don't have it sitting here with me to check the label.) It's very, very mild and works great, apparently. My mom's not taking the crazy stuff anymore, her hair is thick and completely normal again, what she's still on she's adapted to long ago, and while she uses other products now, she keeps the DHS products in her bathroom just to use every now and again.

You can get it from mom & pop pharmacies or compounding pharmacies.

HTH!!!
chunlisa
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
I used to get pimples all over my back and chest and realized it was due to the shampoo and conditioner I was using. I since switched to:

Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo (not the conditioner) and
Nioxin Actives Scalp Therapy

Both are very minty (I'm a crazy mint fan) and they do not break me out. I've been using both of these since 1998.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:23 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |