Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
All former Retin-A users!! Please help.
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
AncoraImparo
5% products discount

Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:06 pm      Reply with quote
Last spring around April, I began to use Differin, a form of retinoid. After using it for six months I stopped in October. The result of this dreaded cream? Billions of red spots and hyperpigmentation with orange peel texture. It's crazy - I'm a 16 year old with the skin of a 50 year old. I'm trying to think positive, but my skin has been in the same exact state for three months. I'm beginning to fear that this damage is permanent. Please help.
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:32 am      Reply with quote
I'm so sorry you have experienced this. Did you use it correctly? Many people can get bad reactions when they use too much, use it too often or even.....use it during the day (NOOOOOOO!!!) Surprised and you absolutely need to wear sunscreen every day whether indoors or outdoors. Also have you used other products with it that may be contraindicative to it. Sorry for the questions but a bit more detail about it and am sure someone could help more.

The good news is your still so young so with proper care and advise you should be able to get things under control again

Very Happy
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:56 am      Reply with quote
Ok first things first, you haven’t done permanent damage, but your skin has had a reaction to Differin. Where did you get the Differin from? It may be that this contains an ingredient as well as retinoid that has irritated your skin? So for me, I’m guessing you need to rest up and heal your skin. Now secondly were you using sun protection? Sounds silly but even in winter UVA and UVB rays can get to you (and penetrate glass too). At 16 years though I’m not sure why you would be using a retinoid? All retin A and retinoids need longer than 6 months to work, and so it may be that you have stopped in the middle of the skin transforming? Were there any side effects you had to stop you from going on?
AncoraImparo
5% products discount

Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:29 am      Reply with quote
My differin was prescribed by a dermatologist for acne. I was using sunscreen, but stopped as soon as I stopped differin. I stopped because it did was causing horrible skin texture and enlarged pores which are still present today.
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:53 am      Reply with quote
Welcome to this forum, AncoraImparo Smile Sunscreen is a very important factor to use every single day to protect your skin from further damage. Did you use anything else other than Differin? Because any AHA or alcohol-based cleansers, facial scrubs or any products with Benzoyl-Peroxide, will just interfere with Differin. Importantly, you should also re-check your diet. Avoiding processed and oily foods, opting for green vegies and natural fruits, as well as drinking lots of water, will help improve your overall health and skin long-term. At 16, the skin turnover is much faster than older person, so I would not worry much about it (for now). But I would suggest that you go back to the doctor who prescribed Differin and voice your concerns. Maybe he/she will have an alternative prescription for you if Differin is not "fully working for you.
AncoraImparo
5% products discount

Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:34 am      Reply with quote
The dermatologist did prescribe duac, which contains 5% benzoyl peroxide. I'm just worried the damage might be permanent. October was the last time I used it. I haven't seen any improvement since then.
goodbyekitty
5% products discount

Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:10 am      Reply with quote
Are you still using the duac? If so stop immediately. The differin may have been to harsh for your skin and caused irritation. So if you put anything on this irritated skin like duac it will make your skin worse...
I would go back to basic with a simple gentle cleanser and moisturiser (cerave is meant to be a good moisturiser)
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:13 am      Reply with quote
Ok that is probably not the best idea. You see it makes skin more sensitive to light. Whilst you stopped using Differin, your skin was still in a sensitive state. Have you spoken with your dermatologist wh prescribed you this – its possible that this is a side reaction you are having and a temporary one too at that. However, in stopping midway through process you are also stopping the good things from coming perhaps? They’re qualified in these things so should be your first port of call!
AncoraImparo wrote:
My differin was prescribed by a dermatologist for acne. I was using sunscreen, but stopped as soon as I stopped differin. I stopped because it did was causing horrible skin texture and enlarged pores which are still present today.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:14 am      Reply with quote
Ok you stopped using it in October, so what have you been using since then? If you haven't been using anything how do you think your skin will improve? Sunscreen is a must - I promise you I would not go a day without it even at your young age!!!
AncoraImparo wrote:
The dermatologist did prescribe duac, which contains 5% benzoyl peroxide. I'm just worried the damage might be permanent. October was the last time I used it. I haven't seen any improvement since then.
AncoraImparo
5% products discount

Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:00 am      Reply with quote
I have stopped using duac. I stopped using sunscreen because I wanted to go "natural" using the caveman regimen. However, now I realize sunscreen is essential. Would 30 SPF be sufficient?
avalange
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
You need to go back to your dermatologist. Show her or him your skin. If they prescribed you a regimen that made your skin worse, they should be held accountable for what you are experiencing right now, and help you fix it. They should be aware of any and all contraindications, and they should also be supervising you while you are on meds prescribed by them!

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:05 am      Reply with quote
A sunscreen of at least 30 SPF is ok to start, but during summer months when the sun is so strong, you should opt for higher SPF...

AncoraImparo wrote:
Would 30 SPF be sufficient?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:12 am      Reply with quote
I hate to disagree but I would opt for higher. Remember SPF are done with the amount of time of exposure to light etc, so I would suggest you opt for as high a protection as possible - even 60. I'm based in the UK and at first I thought it obsurd when my derm said to wear at least a SPF60, but I'm so glad I followed that advice and will continue and recommend always that as a minimal!
AncoraImparo wrote:
I have stopped using duac. I stopped using sunscreen because I wanted to go "natural" using the caveman regimen. However, now I realize sunscreen is essential. Would 30 SPF be sufficient?
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:50 am      Reply with quote
The problem with your suggestion is that higher SPF "commercial brand" sunscreens are only available in summer months, this is the case in Canada.... I don't know about UK though.... Unless, you can keep the higher sunscreen "in stock" at home, but then, there is an expiry date on some of these sunscreens...

TheresaMary wrote:
I hate to disagree but I would opt for higher.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:21 am      Reply with quote
Huh? really as my close friend who lives in Toronto told me that she regularly stocks up on her sunscreen at a large shopping mall. Hmm… well I think there is always a way around these things. Usually drug stores can order in stuff for people, and so that’s worth considering. The other thing is that sometimes its much cheaper to buy online on the net. It depends how seriously you take aging, and if you are happy with only an SPF30 then good for you, but I think it’s a mistake to be wearing Retin A which makes your skin more sensitive to light, and only SPF30, and think you have adequate protection. In the UK, we have drug stores and supermarkets which stock a variety of sunscreens, and I think that’s a good thing. However, in a recent survey carried out by one of the woman’s magazines, it was found that those who wore sunscreen aged better than the readers who responded to the survey who didn’t. Sure, it was a personal based opinion response, but I think that in itself is indicative that there is something for wearing sunscreen.

jade-1234 wrote:
The problem with your suggestion is that higher SPF "commercial brand" sunscreens are only available in summer months, this is the case in Canada.... I don't know about UK though.... Unless, you can keep the higher sunscreen "in stock" at home, but then, there is an expiry date on some of these sunscreens...
AncoraImparo
5% products discount

Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:05 am      Reply with quote
The trouble I have with high-SPF sunscreen is finding one that won't clog pores. Any recommendations?
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:33 am      Reply with quote
There is always a way around this thing about sunscreen with higher SPF for sure. Stocking them is ok as long as you check the expiry dates on them.. I would not want to use sunscreens that had already expired, as that beats the purpose of using it. I personally use 2 types of sunscreen on myself every single day and wear further protection to cover the skin...... In addition, to keep skin looking "youthful", you also need to consider not only external protection (such as sunscreen) but also include healthy eating, healthy lifestyle and regular exercises... These go hand-in-hand when talking about looking after your skin...

TheresaMary wrote:
Huh? really as my close friend who lives in Toronto told me that she regularly stocks up on her sunscreen at a large shopping mall. Hmm… well I think there is always a way around these things.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:26 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |