Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
anti aging products - what works and not
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:48 pm      Reply with quote
I recently read a book by a derm called ellen marmur, she is a mom of 4 and in her 40s but she looks in her 30s to me.

she said the best anti aging products are retinoids, sunscreen and a good moisturiser. she also said cheap skincare and expensive makes no difference.

Is it true?
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
The more stuff I try, the more I agree with this idea. Sunscreen stops new damage from occurring. Retinoids have lots of clinical proof behind it. You can compare a low price and a high price moisturizer and see the same ingredients. The high price item may have fancier packaging and a large advertising budget behind it.
BCgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:39 pm      Reply with quote
Must haves for anti aging:

Vitamin c serum
Retinol
Growth factor serum
Sunscreen

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:05 pm      Reply with quote
BCgirl wrote:
Must haves for anti aging:

Vitamin c serum
Retinol
Growth factor serum
Sunscreen

What is Growth factor serum?

Thanks,
Mansi
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:30 am      Reply with quote
It is certainly true that it is not the price of the product but the ingredients used that matters. Tretinoin is pretty cheap if you get it on prescription in the UK but it is one of the most effective products for the skin.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:04 am      Reply with quote
I think sunscreen is by far one of the best things to use to prevent any damage from happening, and often its sundamage that a lot of us are recovering from in our later years now. Even if you used sunscreen prior to 1990’s, we weren’t aware of UVA and UVB damages and the harm they could cause deep into the derma and nowadays more and more studies are showing that many of the so called dreaded aging things are just old sundamaged tissue making its way to skin surface.

Re moisturiser – well depends on your skin type in my opinion. I do think its important, especially for me as I have dry skin.

Retinoids – well for what its worth no other topical has as many years clinical studies behind it that I know or, nor has been in existence as long (some 40 plus years now). So that in itself speaks volumes!

Salome_B wrote:
I recently read a book by a derm called ellen marmur, she is a mom of 4 and in her 40s but she looks in her 30s to me.

she said the best anti aging products are retinoids, sunscreen and a good moisturiser. she also said cheap skincare and expensive makes no difference.

Is it true?
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:11 pm      Reply with quote
ok. but what about those country with very little sun, are they less prone to sun damage than those with more sun? i am curious about that too
SnowFairy
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
Salome_B wrote:
ok. but what about those country with very little sun, are they less prone to sun damage than those with more sun? i am curious about that too

There was a very interesting article about this in Scientific America several years ago. It was a long article but in short - people that live in a country that gets very little sun that are native to that country have a skin tone that is adapted to life in that country with that amount of sun so it is optimal for them. For example folks in the Highlands of Scottland have a very light skin tone to allow them to absorb more sunshine. If a Scottish Highlander were to move to the United States they would be prone to more sun damage because through the course of evolution their skin has adapted for life in Scottland and not in the United States. Another example is people that live in African Countries have a dark skin color to protect them from too much sun exposure. African people moving to a northern country with very little sun would be prone to getting rickets due to a vitamin D deficiency because their skin color would not allow enough sunshine to be absorbed to produce enough Vitamin D. There were other factors included and why it is important from a scientific and evolutionary point of view but it answers your question in a round-about way.
SnowFairy
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
http://courses.washington.edu/bioa101/articles/article33.pdf
For anyone interested - here is the article. It's from 2002 but a very interesting read. It's been more than 10 years since I read it, but it really left an impression on me in the way human skin color is explained.
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:06 pm      Reply with quote
erm the most important thing is will those living in countries with less sun have less wrinkles and age slower than those with sun? the article never mention that and that is the most important thing i am concerned about. Very Happy of course your lifestyle and genes plays a part.
SnowFairy
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:16 pm      Reply with quote
Salome_B wrote:
erm the most important thing is will those living in countries with less sun have less wrinkles and age slower than those with sun? the article never mention that and that is the most important thing i am concerned about. Very Happy of course your lifestyle and genes plays a part.

Well, NO, I don't think so. People in Sweden are just as wrinkled and haggard as we are here in the US for example. Swedish women can have the most amazing bodies but they have wrinkly faces. African women with all their sun exposure can have beautiful smooth skin. In my observation Asian people have beautiful smooth skin for the longest time, but then they sag drastically and quickly but they do not have as many wrinkles as Westerners do.
I believe how you treat your skin and your body every day is more important than the country you live in. Unless you live under a giant hole in the ozone layer. But I guess if you did, then you'd be more worried about skin cancer, than skin wrinkles.
What do you think? What's your opinion on this when you think about the different races and nationalities and how they age?
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:39 pm      Reply with quote
SnowFairy wrote:
Salome_B wrote:

Well, NO, I don't think so. People in Sweden are just as wrinkled and haggard as we are here in the US for example. Swedish women can have the most amazing bodies but they have wrinkly faces. African women with all their sun exposure can have beautiful smooth skin. In my observation Asian people have beautiful smooth skin for the longest time, but then they sag drastically and quickly but they do not have as many wrinkles as Westerners do.
I believe how you treat your skin and your body every day is more important than the country you live in. Unless you live under a giant hole in the ozone layer. But I guess if you did, then you'd be more worried about skin cancer, than skin wrinkles.
What do you think? What's your opinion on this when you think about the different races and nationalities and how they age?

Ok regarding countries and climate i am asian so i will speak about asian countries.Not very sure about other continent climate and weather

i notice japanese, north chinese and koreans not all but some have really those clear and porcelain and fair skin which i would kill for compared to those living in south east asia which is sunny all year round whom i notice do not have good skin, but there again the water they drink and food they eat is important also level of stress.

As you said i also do notice caucasians do age abit faster than asians but not all of course. I am not trying to sound racist or stereotype the caucasians i see in my country i don't know if they are tourist or living here seems to have skin which freckled and has sun spots and sun damaged even for quite young girls. compared to locals. but caucasians from what i understand love the sun compared to asians who avoid sun like plague.

but if talking about sun and wearing sunscreen. my bro uses water to wash his face does not wear sunscreen. he has nice skin with no sun damage he works in the office of course like me. an ex colleague is in his 50s but looks 40s also uses only h2o to wash face and does not wear sunblock. in this case i wonder are women more prone to sun damage and wrinkles compared to men.
SnowFairy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:44 am      Reply with quote
Not racist or creating sterotypes at all - it's just a discussion about different cultural norms.

Another thing regarding Asians that I read someplace and I'm not sure where is that when they speak, they have a more serene expression on their faces and they grimace less, so they have less wrinkles, but more sag. Caucasians on the other hand make a lot of facial expressions when they speak, so they have more wrinkles, but less sag. Is this true? Maybe.
Most do avoid the sun like the plague and for me personally it's too large of a price to pay, just to have clear unwrinkled skin. Wearing full body suits and face masks at the beach is not something I would easily agree to. But, I have not lived in that cultural environment, so I don't know what drives these actions.

As far as men and women are concerned - We have completely different hormonal profiles and possibly different thickness of skin. Men shave their faces and this manual exfoliation might help to thicken their skin. Or if they have a beard, then it would serve as a natural sun protection. A man might have smooth unwrinkled face, but have tons of wrinkles on their necks where the sun hits the most.
On the other hand, maybe it is more acceptable for a man to have a few wrinkles and no one thinks anything of it. For example, looking at the men around me, they have some wrinkles on their faces, but they still look young and handsome to me. Now, if I had those very same wrinkles on my face I believe I would look really old and ugly. I recently met a guy who had some pretty deep crows feet and when he smiled they ran all the way down his cheeks. I guessed him correctly to be in his late twenties, but a woman with those kinds of wrinkles might look a lot older because we like to see women with smooth unwrinkled skin.
Trying to find a common denominator between the different races and ethnicities as to what keeps them looking young would probably take a really long time to study.

I just realized that this post went into a completely different direction than your original question.
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:18 am      Reply with quote
Now talking about ex foliation helps to thicken collagen. I read somewhere about that. but the other hand i read that too much ex foliation thins your skin and damages it. i read on eds that people have damaged their skin on aha and retin a.

Again i am confused. the sun is said to cause damage to skin but people living in countries with little sun also have sun damage skin. but to a less extent let say if both parties from a country with more sun and less sun do not use sun protection is it right?

personally i prefer fair skin. i look better and brighter i think. in the process of achieving fair skin this also this helps slow down aging process and prevent sun spots and sun damage skin. i close the windows draw the curtains at home, i am thinking of a uv curtain too. i carry an umbrella while using sun block outside. i am willing to do more for fairer and smooth unwrinkled skin. but i do not know what else more. i do not want to waste money on products which will not work.

it is part of the discussion on anti aging products.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:27 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |