Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What is the best strength of glycolic acid to start with?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lisavarner

Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:06 am      Reply with quote
I'm torn between 30 and 40%. I've heard that it's best to start off low if you're a beginner, but I have experience. I've used TCA 20% in the past and I've been using Tazorac for 7 months now. So I'm not new to exfoliating. Any suggestions?
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:36 am      Reply with quote
Did you use TCA 20% at home or through a dermatologist office? Even if you are not a beginner at exfoliation, I would still suggest to start off at a low dosage to ensure that you don't have an "adverse reaction" to glycolic acid. Do a patch test first if you will be doing this at home.
lisavarner

Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:58 am      Reply with quote
jade-1234 wrote:
Did you use TCA 20% at home or through a dermatologist office? Even if you are not a beginner at exfoliation, I would still suggest to start off at a low dosage to ensure that you don't have an "adverse reaction" to glycolic acid. Do a patch test first if you will be doing this at home.

At home. I only used it once on my entire face and just spot treated my nose the other times I used it. So you're suggesting the 30%?
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:18 am      Reply with quote
Hi lisavarner, it somewhat depends on where you buy you glycolic peel. The ph/buffering of say a 30% can vary between makers. The lower the ph the stronger the peel is even if they are both 30%.

I have used glycolic peels off and on for years. I started out with 30%. I now use a stronger % but haven't done a peel in quite a while. You can always leave the 30% peel on for a longer time to increase the effect. If you do that the weaker % can sometimes equal a stronger % that was left on for a shorter amount of time. Also you didn't say what type of skin you have but the more sensitive you skin is the weaker % you should start with. I would be careful at first and go the more conservative route. You can always leave it on for longer but if you get the stronger one and it messes up you skin you can't go back. I'm not writing this to scare you. I like peels and think the work really well. Just better safe then sorry.

Two places that I have purchased peels over the years have been Platinum Skin care and makeup artist's choice. They both have good product. Good luck and welcome to EDS.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:38 am      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
Hi lisavarner, it somewhat depends on where you buy you glycolic peel. The ph/buffering of say a 30% can vary between makers. The lower the ph the stronger the peel is even if they are both 30%.

I have used glycolic peels off and on for years. I started out with 30%. I now use a stronger % but haven't done a peel in quite a while. You can always leave the 30% peel on for a longer time to increase the effect. If you do that the weaker % can sometimes equal a stronger % that was left on for a shorter amount of time. Also you didn't say what type of skin you have but the more sensitive you skin is the weaker % you should start with. I would be careful at first and go the more conservative route. You can always leave it on for longer but if you get the stronger one and it messes up you skin you can't go back. I'm not writing this to scare you. I like peels and think the work really well. Just better safe then sorry.

Two places that I have purchased peels over the years have been Platinum Skin care and makeup artist's choice. They both have good product. Good luck and welcome to EDS.

Hello. :)Thank you so much, Cookie. What an informative post. My skin type is oily. The peels I'm interested in come from SkinObsession. One is ph1 (40%) and the other is ph2(30%). I don't know how reputable they are with you guys, but hundreds of people on Amazon (and their personal website) seem to like them.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
lisavarner wrote:
CookieD wrote:

Hello. :)Thank you so much, Cookie. What an informative post. My skin type is oily. The peels I'm interested in come from SkinObsession. One is ph1 (40%) and the other is ph2(30%). I don't know how reputable they are with you guys, but hundreds of people on Amazon (and their personal website) seem to like them.

Hi lisavarner, I checked the ph levels of the peels I have bought before. The Makeup artist choice ones are 30% at 2.8ph and 40% at 2.4ph.
The Platium skin care one is 30% at 2.1ph. It looks like the ones from SkinObsessions should be stronger then these one because of the lower ph. If it was me I would go with the 30% because with a ph level of 2 that is going to be strong enough to begin with. You can always leave it on for a longer period of time as you become more familiar with how you skin reacts or doesn't react to the acid. The SkinObsession 40% at 1.0ph is really strong. If you buy that one make sure you really follow the instructions. I haven't bought anything from this company but I think other on EDS have so hopefully they will chime in with their thoughts. Good luck.

Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:50 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
lisavarner wrote:
CookieD wrote:

Hi lisavarner, I checked the ph levels of the peels I have bought before. The Makeup artist choice ones are 30% at 2.8ph and 40% at 2.4ph.
The Platium skin care one is 30% at 2.1ph. It looks like the ones from SkinObsessions should be stronger then these one because of the lower ph. If it was me I would go with the 30% because with a ph level of 2 that is going to be strong enough to begin with. You can always leave it on for a longer period of time as you become more familiar with how you skin reacts or doesn't react to the acid. The SkinObsession 40% at 1.0ph is really strong. If you buy that one make sure you really follow the instructions. I haven't bought anything from this company but I think other on EDS have so hopefully they will chime in with their thoughts. Good luck.

I bought the one from MUAC. Thank you.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:43 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |