Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Review: CeraVe Sunscreen Face Lotion SPF 50
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
julianne.yue
5% products discount

Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:29 pm      Reply with quote
Just got this sunscreen today from CVS. I think it's a new product from CeraVe. I love products from CeraVe, but not this one.

$15.79 +tax
Net. Wt. 2oz

Active Ingredients:
Titanium Dioxide 4.9%
Zinc Oxide 4.7%

First, it's not a cheap sunscreen compare to the amount I'm getting. I apply sunscreen everyday, so this tube won't last a long time for me.

But if its worth the money, I'm willing to buy it. Because I love the ingredients for this sunscreen. It's SPF 50, high Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide percentage.

It claims to use Invisible Zinc technology, well, it is a very light sunscreen, there's no oil feeling after apply it, THE ONLY PROBLEM I have with this sunscreen is that it leaves a VERY white tint on my skin. I have fair skin color.I rub it for about a minute, and the white tint still exist.

If they can solve this problem, I would love the product.
c4ward
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:20 pm      Reply with quote
I decided to try it and totally agree with everything you said.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
I tried it as well and find it difficult to spread and leaves a white matte cast on my face. I still might use it up in the summertime, but it would not be good for everyday use.
alabamagirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:01 am      Reply with quote
I was traveling and ran into CVS when I discovered I'd forgotten to pack my sunscreen and bought this.

For right now in the cooler weather, I like the softening effect on my skin. All their products feel nourishing to me. But I have oily skin and this would not work in the humid conditions come summer.

I agree the price is high for two ounces. As far as the white cast--I don't find it bothersome, probably since I am so pale its not much contrast to my natural skin color!

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
julianne.yue wrote:
Active Ingredients:
Titanium Dioxide 4.9%
Zinc Oxide 4.7%
It's SPF 50, high Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide percentage.

This doesn't seem to add up. Are there other active ingredients? Chemical sunscreens, maybe?

The percentages above seem way too low to give an SPF 50 unless the "invisibility" factor somehow makes the zinc much more potent???
jazzi
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:19 am      Reply with quote
bacchus wrote:
julianne.yue wrote:
Active Ingredients:
Titanium Dioxide 4.9%
Zinc Oxide 4.7%

This doesn't seem to add up. Are there other active ingredients? Chemical sunscreens, maybe?

The percentages above seem way too low to give an SPF 50 unless the "invisibility" factor somehow makes the zinc much more potent???

There are a couple hi-tech-y sunscreens on the market that have similar low physical filter percentages and yet manage to pull off high SPF and PPD. My favorite is Skinceuticals Physical Fusion, 6% titanium+5% zinc and that's it, not counting some plancton that is said to boost skin's defenses. I was skeptical, but it works and works a lot better than some other sunscreens that have 3-4 times more zinc in them. Plus it looks great on skin. It's really not about the amount, but efficiency when it comes to sunscreens nowadays. All I'm saying is, that there are technologies available to make such sunscreens and they do work. My guess is that they use UV-boosting inactive ingredients (bits of good research available via google) and efficient titanium, both can increase protection, but neither is cheap, so there's that.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:06 am      Reply with quote
jazzi wrote:
bacchus wrote:
julianne.yue wrote:
Active Ingredients:
Titanium Dioxide 4.9%
Zinc Oxide 4.7%

There are a couple hi-tech-y sunscreens on the market that have similar low physical filter percentages and yet manage to pull off high SPF and PPD. My favorite is Skinceuticals Physical Fusion, 6% titanium+5% zinc and that's it, not counting some plancton that is said to boost skin's defenses. I was skeptical, but it works and works a lot better than some other sunscreens that have 3-4 times more zinc in them. Plus it looks great on skin. It's really not about the amount, but efficiency when it comes to sunscreens nowadays. All I'm saying is, that there are technologies available to make such sunscreens and they do work. My guess is that they use UV-boosting inactive ingredients (bits of good research available via google) and efficient titanium, both can increase protection, but neither is cheap, so there's that.

Jazzi, I think you might be right about efficiency in sunscreen. I have tried all kinds of physical sunscreen. Some with high percentages of just zinc (18 to 20%) some with much lower percentages and some mixed between zinc and t.o.
There is a sunscreen that has 18.6% zinc in it but there are many reviews on EDS and makeupalley about people still tanning with this product. I had the same experience with it and tanned quite easily while wearing it. If it was just about the zinc % I don't see why this would happen. I know there are people that love this product and it does work for a lot of people. I am not trying to slam it. Just wondering why something with this high of a percentage of zinc would have issues if it is strictly about the amount of zinc in a sunscreen. The other physical sunscreen with lower zinc and/or t.o. I have not had a problem with.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
jazzi wrote:
bacchus wrote:
julianne.yue wrote:
Active Ingredients:
Titanium Dioxide 4.9%
Zinc Oxide 4.7%

Thanks Jazzi!
Really interesting stuff. I do know that size of the particles makes a difference but I didn't think it was that big a deal. But makes sense that other chemicals are working synergistically (I guess!)to assist in spf.
I know other antioxidants help, but wasn't sure that they would affect SPF.

Fascinating!
And, yeah, probably $$$
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:03 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |