Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juvederm, Radiesse, or Sculptra?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Belle Vie
5% products discount

Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:20 pm      Reply with quote
I'm starting to notice I could use a little filler in my nasalobial folds. My derm recommended Sculptra; however, I'm wondering what is the difference other than instant vs gradual results, and that Sculptra lasts longer. Is one more natural than the other?
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:04 am      Reply with quote
I can say for me, Juvaderm was amazing and long lasting with no side effects. I had the ultra, which was very fine and smooth.
Before, I had only tried the restylane and it left bumps at the injection sites, but I am prone to scar buildup/keloids.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:31 pm      Reply with quote
I heard doctors aren't using Radiesse any more. I've had Juvederm and Restylane and they are similar.
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
I like Juvederm and Restylane. Since this is your first time you might want to start with one of them. In the event that you don't like the look or something isn't quite right you can easily have them removed - but it's hard to imagine you won't like the look Very Happy
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:24 am      Reply with quote
I found the juvaderm to be longer lasting and more smooth as far as injection/appearances.
I love it!

5% products discount

Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:09 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for the replies. I have decided to go with the Sculptra as my dermatologist recommends it and all of the reviews online seem to be positive. My main concern is to have the most natural results.
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:34 am      Reply with quote
Radiesse is still used, but it is only suitable for deep areas, never lips or around the eyes. It lasts longer than the HA gel type fillers (Juvederm, Restelyne, etc) and has a more stimulating effect on collagen production, which is a characteristic of most of the fillers. The main ingredient in Radiesse is something that medics have been using to stimulate bone growth for many years and is safe.

There was a filler called Artecoll which is no longer marketed which had permanent microspheres in the mix and many folks had problems with permanent lumps with this professionally administered filler.

I've seen some great before/after photos of sculptra patients, very natural and since you have to go for a series of injections one doesn't have that "suddenly & inexplicably rejuvenated" look.

I think, though, it is a more recent innovation than HA gel.

How smart you are to start rejuvenating so young. IMO these days ladies will be able to choose whether or not they look aged. Whatever you do, I am sure you will be pleased with the results.
Belle Vie
5% products discount

Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
I've read good things about Radiesse and the photos that I have seen, the patients look natural.
I've never heard of Artecoll and wonder why it is no longer used..?
Sculptra does appear to be very natural and, as you mentioned, the results are seen over time which I think is better.
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:40 pm      Reply with quote
Artecoll is no longer used because it was disastrous for some patients - they ended up with permanent lumps from the product. I mention it simply to emphasize that even approved fillers can in time be found to be harmful. Don't get me wrong - I love fillers and what they can do. And I use them. But it is always wise to be fully informed and aware that just because something is approved that doesn't mean it is universally safe. When I first became interested in fillers, Artecoll was offered . . .

I definitely don't want to scare anyone and I am sure you have done a lot of research on your choice of filler - I have not, but have seen some extremely good before and after pictures. Am I right in thinking that Sculptra over time stimulates the body to fill the treated areas and that a series of injections are needed? And that the results are very natural looking?

Will look forward to your review of this filler.

best, mismis
chantrelle99
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:22 pm      Reply with quote
mismis wrote:
Artecoll is no longer used because it was disastrous for some patients - they ended up with permanent lumps from the product. s

I would like to know where you got the information Artecoll or now called Artesense is no longer used ? Did you mean it is no longer on the market ?

I believed it was still used but only in specific area. Any way, if you have an reference in this I would like to see it.

Thank you,
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:53 pm      Reply with quote
Chantrelle, I stand corrected - actually I tried unsuccessfully to delete that post right after posting, feeling I should check my facts. I think Artecoll was later renamed Artefill, and it is available in many countries. I checked out realself and it had a 60% thumbs up rating. There were also - as there are with everything - a few less than satisfied customers.

This product, however, is permanent, so if you are unsatisfied with the results, or if you develop granulomas - which has certainly been known to happen - it may have to be excised. But there have also been cases of sensitivity to the gel fillers which are difficult to resolve.

According to some medical sites granulomas and inflammation after use of Artefill may be the result of an inaccurate interpretation of the sensitivity tests which should be administered before the injections as this product is 80% animal collagen. The other 20% is PMMA and that is the permanent component. PMMA has been safely used in medicine for decades.

So thank you for pointing out my lack of accuracy, I now feel better informed and I hope have corrected things for those who had the misfortune to read my previous post.

I think this may be a case of having read one or two horror stories and taking them at face value.
chantrelle99
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you for the up-date. I was a bit concerned, as I had Artesense (it is how it was named at that time) injected. It was for deep filling and I had an allergie test done before the injections. The results were nice, but still, I was kind of worry to have something inside me that could have been retrived from the market.

Smile So thanks,
amy51

Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
Juvederm is fantastic. I am 51 and have great skin..although my neck is started to go to hell in a hand-basket..Juvederm gave me back my top lip and erased my lines like magic. I would not touch Sculptra as I have read horror stories online about lumps and bumps that do not go away.
Bride777

Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:55 am      Reply with quote
Probably it last longer and builds collagen. Doctors want to make more money. Get it. Restylane does not build collagen AT ALL
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:22 pm      Reply with quote
All HA fillers stimulate collagen genesis to some extent. There are different degrees of crosslinking which affects filler longevity, and most companies have a range of slightly differently crosslinked formulas for different areas - you may prefer your lips to be soft, but under the cheeks want something more substantial. In my experience the stiffer products last longer, and they may therefore have a greater collagen stimulating effect, but they are not suitable for under the eye or lips.

And even generic Hyalauronic Acid fillers do stimulate collagen - I am in touch with many who use these fillers and we all seem to be in agreement that over time less is needed.

Radiesse, which is not an HA filler is generally agreed to have the most stimulatory effect, but again this product is not suitable for all areas.

Sculptra, too is very stimulatory for collagen, but as it is generally introduced over several sessions for a gradual improvement, it cannot really be compared with the HA fillers. Once in place it is said to last quite a long time.

Just saying, you don't have to rely on just one doctor to tell you what is the most desirable product for your situation is - as in all healthcare it is wise to do a lot of research and come armed with information and questions. Some docs just prefer a certain product and give it to everyone.
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:36 pm      Reply with quote
Excellent post, mismis. Thank you.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:13 pm      Reply with quote
Restylane is buildable over time. I've noticed that with my nasolabial folds. I've been getting it for years spaced apart at longer and longer intervals. The doctor uses less each time and not more as you'd think since I am aging.

The good thing about Restylane and Juvederm is that when a doc makes a mistake or your body creates lumps, they inject an enzyme and it dissolves the stuff so you can start over. With permanent fillers you don't have that option.

As my plastic surgeon pointed out, your face ages in a specific way and you often wind up with lumps of permanent filler in odd places as time goes on. Trying to save money by getting a permanent filler will actually cost money and possibly distress in the long run. He does not use Artefill or Radiesse for that reason. He did use Radiesse very briefly years ago for noses to create symmetry. Radiesse has calcium in it so is suited for that area.

If you have a lot of fat in your face causing the NL folds, a facelift can reposition it where it was originally. For less money you can also have it removed by radio frequency although I don't know the exact name or micro-liposculpture.
Billybob
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:15 pm      Reply with quote
Sculptra is generally used to fill wider areas of hollowing such as sunken cheeks or temples. It is a good filler for wasting of the face, softening the angles, and chubbing the cheeks. After it is injected you have to vigorously massage the areas 5 times a day for 5 days. The effect is not usually seen for a couple of months, and because of the spread isn't really ideal for very specific lines like the nasolabial.

Honestly, if it is only the nasolabial lines you are concerned about, I am very surprised that your doctor is pushing Sculptra on you.
It is far more expensive than Juvederm, the effect is very gradual. It is true it seems to last longer, but often a few vials are needed, and the expense increases. I have sculptra injected as my face is very gaunt: but I question the 'two' years life span of the product, and am topped up annually. Despite this, I STILL have Juvederm injected into my nasolabs every 6-8 months because the sculptra has only softened the line and not eradicated it.

Juvederm and restylane have an immediate effect, and are perfect for targeting specific lines like yours. If you want to get rid of those lines TODAY they are really the way to go.
I have a sneaky suspicion your doctor is out to make a big buck, or possibly using you to get some experience injecting Sculptra, which takes a lot of skill.
I agree with mismis above - speak to another doctor.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:26 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |