Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Anyone else having problems with Devita ss?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
I've bought 3 face ss and 1 body ss tubes from Vitacost over the course of the last 6 months.

1 face ss tube was the same consistency as before, went on the face clearly.

2 face ss tubes were typical zinc ss in that they dried very quickly after I put it on, leaving white bits.

The 1 body ss tube I bought has been the same, dries quickly into a white streaky mess.

I still have one unopened face ss tube.

So what is this? Did they reformulate the product? Did I somehow get 3 bad batches? Anyone else having this problem?
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:08 pm      Reply with quote
To add: I've bought Devita from Vitacost for over a year, and it's the first time this has happened.
Pixiedust2
5% products discount

Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:24 pm      Reply with quote
Onmyboat, you're not the only one. I just emailed Devita on Friday regarding the same issue, and here is the response I received today:

"Thank you for contacting us, just to bring you up to speed with the current situation with DeVita Solar products.

DeVita has not changed the formula for either the Solar Body Block or the Solar Protective Moisturizer 30. The only change in these products has been that we have been unable to obtain the active ingredient micronized zinc oxide from our usual supplier, therefore we have changed suppliers. This has altered the consistency and the feel of the products, no oils or other ingredients have been added. Any additional whitening that customers may be experiencing is simply the physical barrier protection between the skin and the harmful UVA /UVB rays. We did get some reports that some of the very first products after this change were a little thicker in consistency than we would like to have seen, we have been working with the products over the last few months.

The very latest information on DeVita Solar Products is that we have now refined our emulsification process. Our head chemist has met with our ingredient supplier’s chemists, and a better understanding of how the active ingredient that we use has been ascertained. Therefore based on this information we have now refined our processes and I am very pleased to be able to share with you that these updated solar products are now available directly from DeVita, it may take a little longer for products to filter through to stores. The newer products will have the batch code #130501 or later.

We thank you for your patience in this matter and your continued support of DeVita Natural Skincare."

I just returned a tube of the face Solar Block to Amazon. Not really sure what to do at this point. There is no telling when Vitacost and Amazon will have this newer batch code. I'm really frustrated. I've used this SS for over 4 years.

I have my own suspicions regarding this zinc matter. I've read elsewhere that if a zinc SS blends in with no white cast, then it's nanofied. According to one specific manufacturer, it's very cut and dry. I'm definitely no expert here, but it does make me wonder.

Now I'm hunting for a silicone free, Shea butter free, non-nano mineral SS. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear Smile
onmyboat
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:19 am      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for your response. It definitely cleared this up. I'm also frustrated because summer is coming and I don't want to be without a good sunscreen. I haven't used a sunscreen that's as good as Devita and I've tried quite a few (Badger, Green Goddess, Green Beaver etc). I'm sure sunscreens from Pratima and Marie Veronique Organics are good and similar to a moisturizer, but the price per use, not to mention shipping, is way too steep.

Right now, I can use Devita on my forearms without much whitening. Face is another story. What I do is, put it on, and blend as much as possible as it dries. Then I put on a primer, wait for it to dry, and then lightly pat on my tinted moisturizer, then finish with powder. It's a hassle because I get some dried bits on my face but I have 3 tubes to work through.
grandmajuju
5% products discount

Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:07 am      Reply with quote
Someone needs to discover a reasonably priced Zn sunscreen without that gross white tint! Yikes. I've ordered a some new tinted sunscreens to try so ill update if I discover a good one!
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:46 am      Reply with quote
Look at the Devita Moisture Tints as well. I've used the regular Devita and like the tinted better. It's a bit thicker. It does have a smooth texture, no white cast and doesn't appear to have the issues like the new version of the regular Devita sunscreen.

The downside...it's only SPF 15.
Pixiedust2
5% products discount

Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:46 am      Reply with quote
I just tried one of the new lots. My friend happened to buy one at Sprouts. I demanded she bring it over so I could inspect the tube LOL! Thankfully she's a good sport Very Happy

Here's my two cents. It did seem to blend on my face pretty well. But I'm really light skinned to begin with. So I smoothed it in, it didn't ball up Or flake. I was however shocked when I looked at my fingertips. They were totally caked in white. So I think if you have darker skin than me (MAC NC15-20) these newer lot tubes may still leave a whitish cast.

I didn't like the way it felt on my skin. It didn't feel like the old formula. It was dry, my skin felt tight. I used some Clarins Beauty Balm over it and it helped. But that defeats my purpose. I want a quick and easy sunscreen, one I don't have to fiddle with. (Sigh).
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:38 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting everyone.

Pixiedust2, are you sure the one you just tried had the right lot #? Has anyone let Devita know that there's still a problem? If not, I'll write and direct them to the forum.

I don't know what I'd do if it wasn't the same! It was perfect. Sad WAHHHH.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Pixiedust2
5% products discount

Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:11 am      Reply with quote
LoriA, yes it was a higher lot number than 130501. I don't remember the exact number, but I was sure to check that it was higher.

I put some of my friends new tube in a little container so I could test it for a couple of days. I'm still getting major white residue on my fingertips, although its not really showing up on my face. But like I said, I'm fair skinned. I think anyone medium toned and up may have problems.

Also, it just doesn't feel the same to me. I've used it three times now. It doesn't soak into my skin like it used to. It somehow feels thicker to me, whereas it used to absorb very quickly. My opinion, it's not the Devita I fell in love with.

I know I sound overly dramatic when it's just sunscreen I'm talking about, but I'm just so bummed. I use sunscreen every day, rain or shine, and it's so hard to find a good one. My skin is very oily and I break out from silicones and Shea butter. This used to be the bomb! The hyularonic acid moisturized without adding the grease factor. It was almost like a primer for my makeup. I'm desperately searching for an alternative. If I find anything close, I'll be sure to report back.
mur
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
I was having some issues with Devita sunscreen too - I think my skin just became sensitive to it. I've since switched to Thinkbaby Safe Sunscreen (20% ZO) and I love it. It doesn't break me out, and it smells great. I also have dry skin, and the slight greasiness of this sunblock gives me a nice glow.

It does go on fairly thick and white, but I rub it in, and after a few seconds the whiteness disappears (unless maybe I really look closely). I also have tan/dark NC35-NC40 skin so whiteness is normally an issue for me.

I'd advise anyone with dry skin to give it a try.

Edit to add: Sorry - didn't notice you have oily skin... then I'm not sure if the Thinkbaby sunblock would work (though maybe it might)!
mur
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
hmmm - just another thought - do you think Devita might have responded to the questions about how micronized/nanonized the zinc oxide in their sunblock was, and switched to a zinc oxide with larger particles? Kind of sounds like that's maybe what happened, judging by how you've described the changes in the sunblock.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:18 am      Reply with quote
I wrote to Devita, pointing them to this thread, but the response was confusing given that Pixidust2 had already tried the higher lot number? They reiterated:

"... over the last couple of months our chemist has been working with these solar products , and DeVita has now refined the emulsification process used. These updated solar products are now available directly from DeVita, and may take a little longer for products to filter through to stores. The newer products will have the batch code #130501 or later, and direct feedback from customers has been very favorable since the change.

Please be reassured that DeVita has never used and never will use nano technology in any of its products. "

"... at this time any solar product manufactured on this batch code or a later batch code is how the solar products will be offered. (There is an explanation on the DeVita website , the last question in the Frequently Asked Question section, on how to read DeVita batch codes). "

I really need to get my hands on the original formula or find a suitable replacement - white doesn't look good on my olive skin plus I'm oily! Sad

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:20 pm      Reply with quote
I thought I was going crazy when I smeared a recently purchased tube on my face. Anyone feel Burnout is a decent replacement before I go buy it? Although I suspect the Devita problem will get fixed real quick since their most diehard clients such as myself are going to take their business elsewhere.

5% products discount

Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:05 am      Reply with quote
I'm back after scouring the planet for a new SPF! Just saw your post LoriA regarding Devita's response. Thank you for contacting them. All I can say is that my friend's tube was a higher (new version) lot number. The box even had a sticker on it that said "New & Improved". I'm in CA, she bought it at Sprout's which is a natural grocery store. Next time I see her, I'll look at the tube and get the exact lot number. I'm like Magnum PI, I'm on the case.

I just don't get why the different zinc has complicated their process so much. It's very odd. What was so different about the old zinc that made it so sheer and easy to apply??

Pixiedust2 wrote:
I checked the tube, it's Lot #130661.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 15, 2013 3:06 pm      Reply with quote
bumping this one!
HAAAALP!

I wrote them back asking if they would reconsider bringing back the old formula. It can't hurt!

KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 15, 2013 6:54 pm      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
bumping this one!
HAAAALP!

I wrote them back asking if they would reconsider bringing back the old formula. It can't hurt!

Thanks for all the info, LoriA! I hadn't contacted Devita yet, and appreciate hearing where they're at with the potential reformulation. So now we either need the newest (aka, back to normal) version, or find where there's still old stock! Razz

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
havana8

Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:18 am      Reply with quote
Not sure if this is helpful to anyone but I am almost at the end of a tube I recently bought from EDS and I didn't experience any of the problems mentioned above. Perhaps the bad lots have finally worked their way through and out of the supply chain....
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
Not sure if this is helpful to anyone but I am almost at the end of a tube I recently bought from EDS and I didn't experience any of the problems mentioned above. Perhaps the bad lots have finally worked their way through and out of the supply chain....

Seriously!?!?! This would be amazing--thank you, Havana! I'm still using my Devita because I haven't really found a great replacement... (Avalon Organics Vitamin C Renewal Lotion SPF 15 is okay but low SPF and still some white cast. At least it's not greasy.)

Anyone else with Havana's good luck?

early 30s; combo skin: medium-fair pale with freckles, controlled breakouts. Love: argan and tamanu oil, Devita SS, NCN rhassoul cleansing bar, pumpkin peel, DIY Vit C serum. Getting into more DIY... Fan of natural/organic products.
havana8

Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:57 am      Reply with quote
Hi KB, So I've purchased two additional tubes from EDS since my post above. I'm not sure about the second tube yet but I'm halfway through the first and still no problems. Hope that helps! Smile

ETA: if anyone wants the lot #s, I can post them for the latest tubes that I have
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:28 pm      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
Hi KB, So I've purchased two additional tubes from EDS since my post above. I'm not sure about the second tube yet but I'm halfway through the first and still no problems. Hope that helps! Smile

ETA: if anyone wants the lot #s, I can post them for the latest tubes that I have

Thanks for the update, Havana! I'm so excited that my HG might be still be my HG. Will buy a tube and report back also!

KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:46 pm      Reply with quote
KBLang wrote:
Thanks for the update, Havana! I'm so excited that my HG might be still be my HG. Will buy a tube and report back also!

Havana, thanks for posting about Devita getting better--I decided to order again, and I have to say, it's much better compared to earlier this year!!

I don't think it's perfect, BUT compared to the other physical sunscreens I tried this summer, I am SO happy to have Devita back! (I tried Beauty without Cruelty, etc.; reviews on page 5 http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=48440&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=100). My thoughts at the end of this new Devita bottle are that it's not quite as luxurious in texture as the old Devita, and I have to work a little bit harder to get it to rub in (but nothing like the super-thick physical sunscreens that I'm using up when I exercise).

In great news, I have had none of the flaking or balling issues that I had with Devita earlier, it rubs in, and the white cast is back to being faint. My dear hubby had gotten very grumpy with the sunscreen options earlier this summer (hard to rub in with arm hair or if he hadn't shaved he looked like he had a white beard with all the zinc stuck in it). But he's back on the Devita train, too--a good sign. Smile

FYI, I did find one inexpensive (for body) sunscreen that I can use easily on my hands when I'm running out the door (the pump bottle is nice). It's a pleasant texture, though it does leave a white cast (thus why I'm not giving it five stars, and I can't vouch for it on my face--I just use it on my body): Everyday Coconut Daily Face Lotion SPF 15. Nice price point.

havana8

Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:59 am      Reply with quote
Whew! I'm glad my tubes weren't an anomaly, KB and that it was an improvement over earlier this year. Funny about your husband's occasional white beard. I do notice that if I get some Devita in my brows when applying, I actually have to wipe it off with a cloth or they stay looking white. Needless to say, it's not a very attractive look! Laughing
Alexya
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:24 am      Reply with quote
Have any of you noticed a difference in protection in brightest sun? A friend of mine had Devita tested at a lab a few years ago after she noticed it wasn't giving as good sun protection and the ZO wasn't as high as it was listed on the label.
I used to love this SS too so please let us know if the sun protection is any different.
I recently ordered some Marie Veronique and they sent me a small sample of oil and said they recommended that people use oil under the MVO SS to get the best finish. Sad Nice to know but that's not always practical. Would be nice if Devita could give same production with its nice creamy finish we all loved.
KBLang
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:03 pm      Reply with quote
Alexya wrote:
Have any of you noticed a difference in protection in brightest sun? A friend of mine had Devita tested at a lab a few years ago after she noticed it wasn't giving as good sun protection and the ZO wasn't as high as it was listed on the label.
I used to love this SS too so please let us know if the sun protection is any different.
I recently ordered some Marie Veronique and they sent me a small sample of oil and said they recommended that people use oil under the MVO SS to get the best finish. Sad Nice to know but that's not always practical. Would be nice if Devita could give same production with its nice creamy finish we all loved.

Alexya, I haven't noticed any difference in the level of protection with Devita. I'm not a beach girl, and I would always reapply before riding my bike home from work in the summer. That said, I do garden a lot, and Devita has held up for me just fine. For example, in mid-summer I was working outside with my sister; she forgot sunscreen and was burnt red that evening. I was still as pale as ever except for a little spot on the back of my neck that I missed...

Havana, I have the same problem with white eyebrows! Laughing I often get to work and need to wipe it off with a towel. Fortunately my co-workers already think I'm nuts!!

havana8

Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:48 am      Reply with quote
Alexya wrote:

I can't say I've noticed any difference in protection myself either but keep in mind that I'm not one to be out in the sun all day, every day. I do find it strange, though, that neither the tube nor the outer box includes a proper drug facts label to support their SPF claims. hmm
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:47 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |