Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
prickly pear seed oil
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
apparently prickly pear seed oil is the next craze in oils after argan and marula... has anyone used it, if so is it really worth the cost? It's very expensive, best I could find is $77 per 30 ml....
havana8

Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:59 pm      Reply with quote
I think prickly pear seed oil is also called Barbary Fig Oil which brings to mind rileygirl's review on some of the La Bella Figura barbary fig oil products:

La Bella Figura
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=46748

Blended Oils
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=6481157#6481157

Smile
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:55 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you!
hzzyjane
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:16 pm      Reply with quote
I've used it. I prefer marula for overall hydrating and skin improvement, but prickly pear is the most anti-inflammatory oil I've tried. I use it to treat areas of redness from picking at blemishes (I know, naughty...).
The kind I used is Atlassiya barbary fig seed oil (aka prickly pear), which sells a smaller bottle, so it's less of an investment.
havana8

Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:07 am      Reply with quote
adding this related post

klimax wrote:
Re: barbary fig oil benefits 3-4x superior than argan oil :O

Argan Oil labelled as 'Liquid Gold' is not as effective as Barbary Fig Oil aka Prickly Pear Seed Oil. However it's the most expensive carrier oil!

Adverse Reactions
Dermatitis from prickly pear is the most common adverse reaction. A case report of cactus dermatitis in a 2-year-old child was described after contact with O. microdasys . 67 Two other patients were also affected by this species, both experiencing dermatitis and one developing severe keratoconjunctivitis in the right eye. 68 A case of cactus granuloma in a 24-year-old man is described from contact with O. bieglovii thorns. 69 Granuloma formation has also been seen from O. acanthocarpa spines embedded in the dermis, with onset occurring within several days and lasting several months. Treatment with topical corticosteroids has been recommended. 70 , 71

http://www.drugs.com/npp/prickly-pear.html
carlingus
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:50 pm      Reply with quote
Hmm thanks for linking that excerpt on adverse reactions..I was looking at picking some of this up to help with my red flaky rosacean spots that crop up...little less excited to try it now Question
carlingus
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:43 pm      Reply with quote
hzzyjane wrote:
I've used it. I prefer marula for overall hydrating and skin improvement, but prickly pear is the most anti-inflammatory oil I've tried. I use it to treat areas of redness from picking at blemishes (I know, naughty...).
The kind I used is Atlassiya barbary fig seed oil (aka prickly pear), which sells a smaller bottle, so it's less of an investment.

Kinda spendy, I found this one you rec on amazon for $50. Is that about what you've seen it for? Not sure I'd want to spend that much and not knowing if it'd cause a reaction or not? I'll keep looking for a cheaper alternative maybe. This one does have good reviews online though, I'm definitely intrigued.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
I just tried Marula Oil for a few days and really like it a lot - tangible difference and I find it more healing and calming then Argan Oil (wgich I like and use).

I had also ordered Barbary fig oil, but had not yet received it.

Will update later on.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:46 pm      Reply with quote
Just got my Barbary fig oil today. This a freakjng tiny bottle! I feel like I overpaid! We'll see how it goes. I'll put a little on my cheek that has a red rosacea spot and see what happens.
alex445

Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:43 am      Reply with quote
I've used it. I prefer marula for overall hydrating and skin improvement...........

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
Well no negative effects but I don't have anything positive to report on this stuff except it certainly sinks in nicely. I'll be drenching myself in it for next couple weeks and we'll see how it goes.
havana8

Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:59 pm      Reply with quote
carlingus wrote:
Just got my Barbary fig oil today. This a freakjng tiny bottle! I feel like I overpaid! We'll see how it goes. I'll put a little on my cheek that has a red rosacea spot and see what happens.

How big is your bottle, carlingus?

This has actually become one of my favourite oils. I think my bottle was .5 oz--I find it hugely expensive too!
hzzyjane
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:05 pm      Reply with quote
There's no such thing as inexpensive prickly pear oil. When I bought my 1/2 oz bottle, I managed to find it for $35, which was a steal, relatively speaking. It tends to run right around $100/oz no matter who you get it from. It's very expensive to produce.
hzzyjane
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:08 pm      Reply with quote
Carlingus, have you tried sea buckthorn seed (not berry) oil on your rosacea? A lot of people seem to get good results with it.
carlingus
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all!

I've got the .5 size, and I'm tenatively liking it. This stuff feels decadent as hell! Super silky, soaks into my skin like a dream. I see some lightening to my red irritated area on my cheek that I've been drenching w it.

I have tried seabuckthorn in soap that ended up being very drying and now I'm wondering why I didn't try the oil! I remember a lot of mixed reviews though...might be a good one to take another look at?
carlingus
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
My only worry-will it cause a breakout?
carlingus
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
sigma wrote:
I just tried Marula Oil for a few days and really like it a lot - tangible difference and I find it more healing and calming then Argan Oil (wgich I like and use).

I had also ordered Barbary fig oil, but had not yet received it.

Will update later on.

Sigma, what did you think about it? Have you had some time to use it?
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:32 pm      Reply with quote
I liked Marula Oil, it seems nourishing without causing breakouts. The Barbary fig oil unfortunately does not seem to do a thing for me - not calming or healing as I had hoped, nor anything else. So sad, since I now have 1.5 oz of it. I will try it again next week after a short break.

HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:24 am      Reply with quote
I like it!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:50 am      Reply with quote
Fawnie,

how do you use it (and which one)?

TIA

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:41 am      Reply with quote
Sigma, I like it neat for around the eye area. Its emollient without being heavy and absorbs well but leaves a nice feel to the skin. I havent worked with it in emulsions yet tho.

"The GREENTECH prickly pear oil is recommended for soothing and calming properties, and also to repair and restructure skin. It also helps to prevent aging phenomenons by fighting against oxidative stress and to limit skin dehydration. This product is recommended for soothing, calming products, repairing and restructuring products, anti-age care, dry skin care, and massage oils."

Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:13 am      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:
Sigma, I like it neat for around the eye area. Its emollient without being heavy and absorbs well but leaves a nice feel to the skin. I havent worked with it in emulsions yet tho.

"The GREENTECH prickly pear oil is recommended for soothing and calming properties, and also to repair and restructure skin. It also helps to prevent aging phenomenons by fighting against oxidative stress and to limit skin dehydration. This product is recommended for soothing, calming products, repairing and restructuring products, anti-age care, dry skin care, and massage oils."

This is how I use it too. The one I've repurchased is the Mun No.1 Aknari Nighttime Dream Youth Serum although I also recently purchased the La Bella Figura Barbary Fig Seed Oil to compare. Kenza International Beauty also sells an organic Pure Prickly Pear Seed Oil that is much more affordable but the shipping to Canada is way crazy expensive. However for those of you in the US, I think it is free shipping on orders over $30 so it might be another option to consider.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
Very interesting.

I bought the straight one from Anastassia (am adding it to LL cream) and the one from La Bella Figura.

Based on these positive reviews I think I should give it more time.

Thanks.

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
carlingus wrote:
My only worry-will it cause a breakout?

A lot of people use it to heal acne, so I'm guessing no.
carlingus
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
I've been really loading up on this stuff still and no breakouts, no irritation, just soothed skin, plump bouncy skin.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:29 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |