Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)
help with dry itchy red skin on lower legs
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
lovelylass77

Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:00 am      Reply with quote
Hello,

I need some help

I have had dry itchy red skin on lower legs for years now and want to get it sorted, it all started years ago with a shaving rash and over the years I have scratched and scratched and they bleed and look awful and red and scaly now - I have had stuff from the drs even steroid creams which help but not available long term.

Can anyone recommend anything that does work which will stop the itch and help heal the skin.

In summer I hate hiding my legs away - is there also a product which would cover these marks and let me wear skirts?

please help
missyickes
5% products discount

Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:50 am      Reply with quote
After years of trial and error, I finally found a solution that cured me of this, but it wasn't cheap or quick. Maybe it could help you? Here's what worked for me in no particular order: 1)stop any and all antibiotics and steroids. 2) start a daily high quality probiotic. 3) Use lavender and peppermint essential oils undiluted to control itching. 4)Use jojoba oil or argan oil to moisturize. 5)Do a few sessions of laser hair removal over the next several months. 6) limit cow's milk in your diet as much as possible. The best in my opinion: unsweetened flax milk for milk, almond milk yogurt, coconut milk cream, and coconut milk icecream. There is simply no substitute for cheese that is tolerable to me, so I just limit it as much as possible and indulge only once in awhile. You can try dry brushing, which comes highly recommended, but it did not work for me. Dry brushing actually made my itching more intense. I actually thought I was allergic to the bristles because it was to bad. After trying a few different bristle versions, I realized it was the brushing itself that was triggering the itching. Good luck! PS. Don't waste your money on leg makeup products like Joan Rivers' Right to Bare Legs. If you have dry skin that is scaly or rough in any way, these products will not work for you. Besides, it rubs off on everything from your clothes to the seat of your car, to the side of your couch... I did try some sprays that were OK for special occasions, but totally not worth putting on everyday. Walgreens carries a few brands. You will find them next to the hosiery usually.

10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:40 am      Reply with quote
I have extremely dry, scaly skin on my legs too (actually all over). What helps me is to use Lac Hydrin lotion (I think it's called AmLactin in the USA). It's kind of a quick fix though - it works, but eventually when I stop using it, the dryness comes back (though not right away).

The disadvantage of this lotion is that it really smells bad (like how I'd imagine a chemical factory to smell).

For me, using it about once a week or so is sufficient after daily use to clear up the dryness. A glycolic acid cream/lotion might also work.
Abigail
5% products discount

Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
You might want to try an anti yeast cream. I have known some that had what sounds the same on their arms and it worked. Can't hurt to try.
mur
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:06 pm      Reply with quote
Ya - an anti yeast cream sounds like a good idea - I've also heard of that working for people. Or a cream with a lot of sulfur in it.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:17 pm      Reply with quote
I had the same issue a very long time ago. I began treating with prescription cortisone- gets a bad rap on here but I swear it saved my skin in more ways than one. I could not stop the issue from returning when the prescription ran out- used OTC cortisone for a while longer and slowly replaced that with moisturizer. My lotion of choice during this time was Kiehls Creme de Corpse, it just worked for me. I changed all shower products during the process to prevent irritation- NO SULFATES! This requires a serious paradigm shift for many people- the shampoos don't lather well, and you may be looking at an oil based soap for body/face, I know I struggled with it. Finally, get a water filter for your shower. Minerals and chlorine in water supplies are extremely irritating, especially for chronically irritated skin. Currently I no longer need to user a filter, or any moisturizer, but I was never able to return to sulfates which is just as well. Good luck!

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:19 am      Reply with quote
Dermamed skin creams- they are a "herbal cortisone alternative".

they amazingly work on legs, sunburns or whateve r.
Not the cheapest to buy though.

Also Thursday plantation tea tree oil cream is also really good- not crazy about the smell of tea tree.

For me cortisone cream just burns my skin and makes me worse. I tried a few drugstore ones and my skin would burn.
went to get a prescription cortisone cream as I was told it would not burn my skin even if it was stronger in % and well.....of course it made my skin burn more....

Dermamed creams and tea tree cream from Thursday plantation is what I always use now.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:39 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |