Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
your favorite oil soluble actives?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:58 pm      Reply with quote
lately I have been using pure oils and loving it.. i have it mixed in my oils co Q10, alpha lipoic acid, vitamin E, tetra C, lycopene, astaxanthin.. I was wondering re other great oil soluble actives...pls share if you have any favorites.. thank you
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:54 am      Reply with quote
Retinyl Palmitate (Vit A), Ascorbyl Tetraisopalmitate / Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate (Tetra C)and Vitamin D.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:52 pm      Reply with quote
I like all the oil soluble antioxidants (who doesn't? Wink ) and I'm interested in trying the os renovage that lotioncrafter has. Never got around to ordering any yet. My skin responds very well to squalane, too. Especially my notoriously arid lips. It's impossibly light and silky. Love it!

If you use really light oils or a sillicone based serum, you can get away with adding a tiny bit of liquid lecithin. It moisturizes like nothing else, and the moisture lasts longer that with other things (as far as my skin is concerned, anyhow.)

There's a ton of os actives out there. The trick is to find what your skin likes.

EDIT: This is going to sound strange, but I've also started to use cod liver oil in my oil blend for the extra vit.A, D, and omega 3s. It makes the blend smell fishy, even at lower percentages, so save it for night time if you want to experiment with it.
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:25 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you RS and Chlorophyll

I recently did add a bit of lecithin n it really moisturizes the skin!

RS, where do you buy your Vita D from?

I use Retin A so that's why I didnt add additional Vita A, and my oil mix has lots of rose hip oil too which is supposed to have lots of Vita A ...

Thanks
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:53 am      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
RS, where do you buy your Vita D from?

I buy Xymogen D3 Liquid from a local health food store (http://www.ottway.com/) for about $21.

But you can buy a similar one on iherb: http://www.iherb.com/search?kw=d3+liquid+&x=0&y=0#cid=425&p=1

Make sure it contains only oil, water and cholecalciferol, no flavors, no preservatives.
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:38 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks RS. I have been wanting to buy D2 instead of D3 as D3 is very photo unstable but cant find D2 anywhere....
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:35 am      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
Thanks RS. I have been wanting to buy D2 instead of D3 as D3 is very photo unstable but cant find D2 anywhere....

Vitamin D3 is a naturally occurring form that is identical to the vitamin D made in your skin when you are exposed to UVB. Vitamin D3 is much more effective at raising blood levels of vitamin D and has a longer duration of action compared to Vitamin D2. Vitamin D2 is a synthetic form.
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:44 pm      Reply with quote
raspberry ketones are supposed to be oil soluble but I was not able to. even after heating the oil a bit.. has anyone tried it? RK is supposed to increase skin elasticity when applied topically, only .01% concentration...
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:46 am      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
raspberry ketones are supposed to be oil soluble but I was not able to. even after heating the oil a bit.. has anyone tried it? RK is supposed to increase skin elasticity when applied topically, only .01% concentration...

I have not tried it but I heard a lot about it. It is supposed to help with skin whitening as well.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:09 pm      Reply with quote
I forgot to mention my other favourite oil-soluble vitamin - Vitamin K1. It is used for dark circles, as well as for "moisturizing, skin lightening, peri rbital hyper pigmentation, and for application to bruising and post laser surgery healing." (http://stores.skinessentialactives.com/-strse-80/Vitamin-K1-USP-99-pct-/Detail.bok)
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:44 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks RS.. I added vitamin K to a cream a lil while ago and for some reason I thought it made my complexion a lil dull.. may be I was wrong

what do you think of melatonin.. will it dissolve in oil? I found out while googling that it's oil soluble but i am not certain...
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:31 am      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
Thanks RS.. I added vitamin K to a cream a lil while ago and for some reason I thought it made my complexion a lil dull.. may be I was wrong

what do you think of melatonin.. will it dissolve in oil? I found out while googling that it's oil soluble but i am not certain...

I have never thought that melatonin can be used on skin Confused
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:59 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
daler wrote:

I have never thought that melatonin can be used on skin Confused

melatonin is supposed to protect from UV damage,protect dna, lighten age spots..
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:43 pm      Reply with quote
daler, good to know!
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:44 pm      Reply with quote
Chlorophyll wrote:
I like all the oil soluble antioxidants (who doesn't? Wink ) and I'm interested in trying the os renovage that lotioncrafter has. Never got around to ordering any yet. My skin responds very well to squalane, too. Especially my notoriously arid lips. It's impossibly light and silky. Love it!

If you use really light oils or a sillicone based serum, you can get away with adding a tiny bit of liquid lecithin. It moisturizes like nothing else, and the moisture lasts longer that with other things (as far as my skin is concerned, anyhow.)

There's a ton of os actives out there. The trick is to find what your skin likes.

EDIT: This is going to sound strange, but I've also started to use cod liver oil in my oil blend for the extra vit.A, D, and omega 3s. It makes the blend smell fishy, even at lower percentages, so save it for night time if you want to experiment with it.

Meh. Renovage is hype. I tried it and it did squat for me. ROP:
http://barefacedtruth.com/2011/12/26/renovage-induces-heat-shock-proteins-not-telomerase-this-not-dna-repair/

Glad to see Im not the only "fishface" here! I used to apply Carlson's lemon flavored fish oil to my skin and loved the results but not the smell. Chia seed oil has a high % of omega3 also so I use that instead now.

I do agree that liquid lecithin added to any oil mix or emulsion is heaven!

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:46 pm      Reply with quote
I have 8gm of renovage in my fridge for the last 8 months or so, I never added it as I didnt want to associate any good results I get to renovage...n then i found out that it's kinda sketchy... its gonna go into trash soon....

btw, I added a bit of melted shea butter in my oil mix the other day n very nice, hopefully i wont break out!
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:13 am      Reply with quote
daler, do you heat your oil before adding co Q10 and alpha lipoic acid?

And where do you buy lycopene, astaxanthin and melatonin?

Do you add any preservatives?

Thank you!
l1982222
5% products discount

Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:33 am      Reply with quote
Retinyl Palmitate
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:
daler, do you heat your oil before adding co Q10 and alpha lipoic acid?

And where do you buy lycopene, astaxanthin and melatonin?

Do you add any preservatives?

Thank you!

sometimes I slightly warm the oil but not required, warmth ll dissolve em quicker..

I get anti ox booster from skin actives, it has lycopene, astaxanthin n more.. sometimes i use lyco directly from a cap to add color to my sunblock..

skinactives sells melatonin as well, I have not tried it so far....

no preservatives needed for 100% oil, only for emulsions n water based serums.. I used to use Germaben II for them.
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:54 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:

no preservatives needed for 100% oil, only for emulsions n water based serums.. I used to use Germaben II for them.

Right you are, BUT, it's that lousy, dank, rancid smell your left with, when using a few of the short shelf life oils.. (And drats, there always the best skin oils aren't they?)

Not to worry though, if you just make your mix to include a decent amount of "jojoba" and "meadowfoam" oils, your oil combo will last FOREVER Wink (or at least till you use them up..)

Fav oil soluble actives for me remain; CoQ10, Alpha Lipoic Acid (stinks though, at the optimal amount), Retinyl Palmitate + Ascorbyl Palmitate.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:25 am      Reply with quote
^I think the clinically studied percent of alpha lipoic acid is 5, right? That seems so high!

fawnie wrote:
Chlorophyll wrote:

Meh. Renovage is hype. I tried it and it did squat for me. ROP:
http://barefacedtruth.com/2011/12/26/renovage-induces-heat-shock-proteins-not-telomerase-this-not-dna-repair/

Glad to see Im not the only "fishface" here! I used to apply Carlson's lemon flavored fish oil to my skin and loved the results but not the smell. Chia seed oil has a high % of omega3 also so I use that instead now.

I do agree that liquid lecithin added to any oil mix or emulsion is heaven!

Fawnie, I miss you! I used to belong to one of the other skincare forums you visit, but I got banned without a reason. I love everything you have to say, and thank you very much for directing me to that article. <3 I thought something seemed a bit odd about it. It's another one of those ingredients that got recycled into the skin care industry.
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:52 am      Reply with quote
Kassy_A wrote:
Not to worry though, if you just make your mix to include a decent amount of "jojoba" and "meadowfoam" oils, your oil combo will last FOREVER Wink (or at least till you use them up..)

Great tip!

Kassy_A wrote:

Fav oil soluble actives for me remain; CoQ10, Alpha Lipoic Acid (stinks though, at the optimal amount), Retinyl Palmitate + Ascorbyl Palmitate.

Kassy, how do incorporate ALA? It does not dissolve easy Confused Does Ascorbyl Palmitate dissolve fast? I like Tetra C because you just mix it with your oil and that's it.
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:16 am      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:

Kassy_A wrote:

Kassy, how do incorporate ALA? It does not dissolve easy Confused Does Ascorbyl Palmitate dissolve fast? I like Tetra C because you just mix it with your oil and that's it.

not Kassy, but ALA dissolves very easy, just leave ur mix aside for several hours.. if in a hurry, sligtly warm it in a double boiler or in a small pot placed in a saucepan with water.. but dont heat it too much..

5% is on the v high end, 2% is very effective too.. IMO
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:21 pm      Reply with quote
I am curious to know what % of ALA Kassy is using!
Kassy_A
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:02 pm      Reply with quote
RussianSunshine wrote:

All of the above is oil soluble, but I find that the ALA -especially-, solubizes best in *warm* oil.

I always do my products (now) in stages, and the 1st is to thoroughly heat and hold both my water and oil phases.

I just decant a bit of the heated oil into a shot glass, and when it's cooled a bit I add the oil soluble actives. I do like wise with my water soluble goodies.

THDA lover here too, but I refuse to spend the money they are asking for these days... AP is every bit as good for my needs.

♥I'm flattered by all the lovely PM's, but I don't get here much these days. Please don't be afraid to post your quearies to other DIY members who will be glad to help you (or sell you their wares..lol) Still happy with LED, dermarolling and a DIY antioxidant regime. Peace & Hugs to all.♥
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:26 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |