Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Help with Kassy Vit C serum w/ Jojoba - Separating and Smell
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
MS000

Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:10 pm      Reply with quote
Hi all! Long time reader, first time poster here! I've searched the forum far and wide for an answer to my question, but have yet to find something. Hoping someone can help me out with an issue I'm having with Kassy's 15% Vitamin C serum with Jojoba.

I've tried to make this serum four times, and each time I get separation when I try to mix the dissolved Vit C/water mixture with the Ferulic Acid/Vit E/Jojoba/Vodka/SKB mixture. I follow the instructions carefully and precisely. My Vitamin C dissolves beautifully in the distilled water, and the Ferulic/E/Jojoba/Vodka/SKB combines into a nice creamy consistency. However, when I add the two mixtures together, I can't get them to combine! I get little white globules floating around.

The only possibility I can think of is that maybe my Vitamin C isn't a high enough quality? I purchased it from Whole Foods, while the rest of my ingredients are from Lotion Crafters. It is 100% Vitamin C (no additives), is finely ground, and dissolves completely in water, so it seems like it is working fine.

I have a few questions - is it OK to use the serum even if it has separated? It seems to apply to my face just fine and feels good on my skin, but I'm not sure if the separation means I should not use it. Also, I've noticed that the serum smells slightly like burned popcorn!! Has anyone else experienced this??? It's so strange! Finally, should I buy an emulsifier to help the mixing process? I would prefer not to buy any other ingredients, but if purchasing another emulsifier is necessary, I can do it.

Thanks in advance for the troubleshooting help!
ellaelise
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 01, 2013 1:57 am      Reply with quote
I can't help you, but I did read this in owndoc's derma roller instructions:

Quote:
Vitamin C is not fat-soluble so before you apply it you must remove
oils from your skin, otherwise the vit. C will not be able to penetrate your skin through the oily layer.

It must be because it isn't fat-soluble, no? But I'm not a scientist. I had a similar question in regards to this exact same Kassy serum and the solubility of Vit C- I just wonder if, if we're supposed to remove oils on our face before applying Vit C (as L-AA), and/or if the Vit C isn't fat soluble, if the oils in Kassy's Vit C Serum w/ Jojoba renders the actual Vit C useless?

I really hope someone else who has made and used her Vit C serum will reply and help both of us!
ellaelise
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 01, 2013 2:04 am      Reply with quote
I wish ShastaGirl was around, I bet she could help us both! Cool
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 01, 2013 8:38 am      Reply with quote
ellaelise wrote:
I wish ShastaGirl was around, I bet she could help us both! Cool

My ears were burning...and saw your post Very Happy

I've had the mixture separate sometimes. Usually if I shake it well it recombines. It's still ok to use if it separates, just shake before use. Some Poly 80 emulsifier would help.

I'm not familiar with the Vit C from Whole Foods, but if it is food quality, it might not work well in skin care. Usually the stuff for skin is very fine powder.

Regarding the smell - it should be pretty neutral. I've never had a popcorn smell with the C serum. I have had it with some other serums and realized that the pH of the ingredients I combined did not match the optimal pH range. Bad smell is usually a sign that something is wrong. Maybe the Whole Foods vit C alters the pH. Does the jojoba oil smell ok by itself? Oil can smell when it gets rancid.

On the Owndoc oil issue...just not sure about that one. My understanding was always that oils helped to push and/or seal things into the skin. There are so many creams/serums with oils and LAA. I'm pretty sure there are clinical trials that show effectiveness of LAA mixtures that have oils in them. These clinical trials could be something to search for if you want to further investigate and confirm.
ellaelise
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 01, 2013 5:49 pm      Reply with quote
It worked!! You came!! Thank you for the info- I got all the stuff I need to make Kassy's Vit C + jojoba and I can't wait! I've just been using a simple L-AA + water "serum," and I can seriously see a change in my skin already, just with that. You guys have totally converted me!
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:03 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |