Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Confused! Vit C serums with oils, owndoc says no... help?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
ellaelise
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:35 pm      Reply with quote
Hi guys. I really, really want to try this awesome-looking recipe for a homemade Vitamin C serum... http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?p=474653#474653

Here's where I'm confused, though: Owndoc says the following:
Quote:
Vitamin C is not fat-soluble so before you apply it you must remove
oils from your skin, otherwise the vit. C will not be able to penetrate your skin through the oily layer.

So, if that's true, would the jojoba and other oils render the Vit. C useless, essentially blocking it from being absorbed by the skin?

Can someone shed some light on this please?
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:21 am      Reply with quote
I'm no expert but the following little write up about Vitamin C and E is interesting. Apparently Vit E helps the stability of C from Oxidation. The article is http://www.smartskincare.com/treatments/topical/vitamin-c-vitamin-e-ferulic-acid.html

Personally when it comes to oils, in general, I like to layer it as my last product after everything has been absorbed. I actually feel oils after serums help in product penetration. But then again it depends on the oils.

I'm sure others can shed more light on the matter.
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:14 am      Reply with quote
Just wanted to add do you, as I haven't read that on owndoc. But putting oils separately or layering before Vitamin C I don't do. Is this what you mean or that there is oils in the DIY C serum? My original link is for the latter. But for the former, when layering, I always put oils last unless you want to buff a product, as water based products may not penetrate. So that would make sense.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:46 am      Reply with quote
Vitamin C in the form of L-Ascorbic Acid should be applied to freshly cleansed skin. Then wait a little while to let the pH of the skin return to normal before layering other products on top. Oils should always be applied last as oils are occlusive.

There is a form of Vitamin C which is oil soluble if you want to make a DIY Vitamin C Oil.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:38 pm      Reply with quote
I use bisabolol and DMI as penetration enhancers for actives. And minimal oil in my C serum. It needs a bit of oil to dissolve the alpha lipoic acid in the formula. Works for me!

http://www.bulkactives.com/abisabololnatural.htm

http://www.bulkactives.com/dimethylisosorbide.htm

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:08 pm      Reply with quote
dionie, I was referring to a Vit C serum with oils in it as well. I just wasn't sure if the skin would be able to absorb the Vit C (as L-AA) if, like owndoc said, you need to remove any oils before using a Vit C serum made with L-AA. BTW, the quoted text from owndoc appears in their instructions for the derma roller.

I still think I'm a little confused about this, but I don't know how else to phrase my question. I guess the answer comes from not layering? Anyone else have any ideas? Question
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 01, 2013 8:25 pm      Reply with quote
This may be of interest.
http://www.complex31.com/articles/JCD-T2-Asc-Immi.PDF

It's a study done on LAA in an oil/wax mix and a silicone/oil/wax mix.

"Both formulations tested in this study resulted in increased expression of collagen types I and III and cytokeratin in ex Viso human skin."

Granted, this is a mix with no water, but it shows that LAA in oil can be effective.
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 02, 2013 10:27 am      Reply with quote
I wonder about this topic too as I use both Obagi C Clarifying Serum, which is in an oily base, and Skinceuticals C & E Ferulic.

The Skinceuticals seems to be more potent (skin is brighter) and more drying, which I attribute to the fact that the Obagi C is in an oil that buffers the Vit C from being effective and also gives some hydration.

I am at the end of both bottles and am wondering if should repurchase the Obagi C Clarifying Serum again or is it a waste of money. I use it when travelling so I don't have to wait to layer Vit C serum and then hydroquinone. I do know the Obagi serum does something as it made my skin peel alot at first when using it in a daily basis (was not on NuDerm then so that wasn't causing the peeling).

Another issue is regarding Vit C in moisturizers - does the oil component inhibit absorption of the vit c?

I understand this is a DIY forum but I have the same basic question as ellaelise. Thanks in advance!
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 02, 2013 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
Yes I understand that skincare science can be quite confusing out there, especially when one company advocates one thing and another doesn't.

The way I look at it is that LAA Vit C can be a little unstable when not formulated correctly. S, as in my original link, it talks about requiring VIt E oil in Vit C serums for stability issues. This form of Vit C oxidizes so easily, so an oxidised form of Vit C serum has many more issues than a minute amount of oil in a formulation. I know what I would rather have.These skincare companies need to formulate products so they keep stable. Even in DIY people prefer to make say a bottle at a time.

When in doubt you could do what I do, and is so much cheaper and gets rid of the oil factor.
I Put a small scoop of LAA powder in my palm (you can buy just powder). Put a couple pumps of my non oil antioxidant serum OR aloe Vera serum in there too, mix by rubbing my palms together, and spread over my face. It's a bit grittier and more acidic this way, but my skin can handle it. I love it.
Then once my serum has absorbed and PH settles back I can layer with other products.

I hope that helps and there are other ways of maximising product use. You can even make enough Vit C LAA serum without oil every couple of days too and keep in the fridge.
All works well
denisiel
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 02, 2013 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
dionie wrote:

When in doubt you could do what I do, and is so much cheaper and gets rid of the oil factor.
I Put a small scoop of LAA powder in my palm (you can buy just powder). Put a couple pumps of my non oil antioxidant serum OR aloe Vera serum in there too, mix by rubbing my palms together, and spread over my face. It's a bit grittier and more acidic this way, but my skin can handle it. I love it.
Then once my serum has absorbed and PH settles back I can layer with other products.

I hope that helps and there are other ways of maximising product use. You can even make enough Vit C LAA serum without oil every couple of days too and keep in the fridge.
All works well

Hi dionie - How do you know that the vit c is at full efficacy when you DYI? This is why I am hesitant to make it myself as I read that vit c serums are complicated because of oxidation, PH, and other issues that may inhibit absorption. I have tried a few and find that the Skinceuticals works much better.

Thanks!
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 03, 2013 2:52 am      Reply with quote
denisiel wrote:
dionie wrote:

All works well

Hi dionie - How do you know that the vit c is at full efficacy when you DYI? This is why I am hesitant to make it myself as I read that vit c serums are complicated because of oxidation, PH, and other issues that may inhibit absorption. I have tried a few and find that the Skinceuticals works much better.

Thanks!

I actually found the opposite. Skinceuticals did nothing for me and I was very weary of the pale yellow colour which could have meant the serum had already oxidised. I've actually researched and asked about how to use the powder and find that it really works for me. The Ph is fine, it's pure and fresh. I find making DIY batches tricky and that's why I don't DIY it. I agree you really need to get the formula right, but most recipes on EDS are based on products like Skinceuitcal formulas anyway. So fresher is definitely better,if you measure and mix correctly . But I'm lazy and not bothered so I don't do this. Also just storing the powder and mixing as I use/ need it means its always fresh and my skin knows when the PH is too low or high afterwards. next time i adjust it.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 03, 2013 3:11 am      Reply with quote
I just mix a tiny scoop of micronised LAA powder with HA every day. Takes five seconds to mix - and I know it's fresh. Why more people don't do this, I don't know. Pre-mixing is counter-productive IMO!

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 03, 2013 3:26 am      Reply with quote
Thanks dionie & Keliu. This leads me to my next question re vit c application. Does anyone know why some serums must be allowed to dry completely? For example, I've read that Skinceuticals should be left to absorb for up to 20 minutes and that applying anything over it will inactivate the serum (because of the introduction of water, I am not sure).

But then I also see many people spritzing their skin before applying LAA vit c serums or they DIY by mixing with a water based substance.

So after toning, I wait 10 minutes to have totally dry skin and then another 10 or 20 minutes for the vit c serum to absorb. Is this correct - what do other people do?
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 03, 2013 3:46 am      Reply with quote
denisiel wrote:
Thanks dionie & Keliu. This leads me to my next question re vit c application. Does anyone know why some serums must be allowed to dry completely? For example, I've read that Skinceuticals should be left to absorb for up to 20 minutes and that applying anything over it will inactivate the serum (because of the introduction of water, I am not sure).

But then I also see many people spritzing their skin before applying LAA vit c serums or they DIY by mixing with a water based substance.

So after toning, I wait 10 minutes to have totally dry skin and then another 10 or 20 minutes for the vit c serum to absorb. Is this correct - what do other people do?

The wait period is not for the product to absorb - it's for the pH of the skin to normalise. So you should wait ten minutes or so before applying the rest of your products.

Also, manufacturers often add yellow colouring to their C serums to disguise the fact that they might have oxidised. I know for a fact that Ultraceuticals do this. The yellow colouring is listed as an ingredient on the bottle. I wrote to them and asked why they do this - they wrote back but didn't give a satisfactory explanation - they just said that they could guarantee that their serum was fresh! But that still begs the question, why the yellow colouring?

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 03, 2013 4:14 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
The wait period is not for the product to absorb - it's for the pH of the skin to normalise. So you should wait ten minutes or so before applying the rest of your products.

Also, manufacturers often add yellow colouring to their C serums to disguise the fact that they might have oxidised. I know for a fact that Ultraceuticals do this. The yellow colouring is listed as an ingredient on the bottle. I wrote to them and asked why they do this - they wrote back but didn't give a satisfactory explanation - they just said that they could guarantee that their serum was fresh! But that still begs the question, why the yellow colouring?

I see - so I can apply the Skinceuticals on my slightly damp face after toner (which I use to ph balance after cleansing)?

I know what you mean re the yellow color. What I noticed is that if I kept the large bottle of Skinceuticals in the fridge and just decanted a small amount into a dropper every two weeks, it stayed relatively colorless. But I once ordered sample sizes for traveling and they oxidized within a week of opening. I emailed the company and they said it was still effective but I don't believe it.

I opened the Obagi C Clarifying Serum, used it a few times, and put in the fridge for nine months. I was surprised to see it remained colorless - don't know if that is because it is in an oil base or is a really good formulation or is so bad that the Vit C doesn't even work....
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 03, 2013 4:25 am      Reply with quote
Oil based Vitamin C is supposed to be much more stable than LAA.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 03, 2013 4:36 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:

But the Obagi has LAA:

Hydroquinone 4%, Propylene Glycol, Propylene Carbonate, L-Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Purified Water and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 03, 2013 4:52 am      Reply with quote
denisiel wrote:
Keliu wrote:

But the Obagi has LAA:

Hydroquinone 4%, Propylene Glycol, Propylene Carbonate, L-Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Purified Water and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate

Ok, don't understand that because LAA is only soluble in water. Oil serums are usually made with Oil Soluble C (sorry, forget it's proper name). But maybe the Obagi uses an emulsifier.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 03, 2013 5:32 am      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
I just mix a tiny scoop of micronised LAA powder with HA every day. Takes five seconds to mix - and I know it's fresh. Why more people don't do this, I don't know. Pre-mixing is counter-productive IMO!

I sooo agree. I must give you credit for me doing this. I'm pretty sure you gave me the idea to mix it with my aloe vera. Anything else now just seems second best. Very Happy
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 03, 2013 5:47 am      Reply with quote
dionie wrote:

I sooo agree. I must give you credit for me doing this. I'm pretty sure you gave me the idea to mix it with my aloe vera. Anything else now just seems second best. Very Happy

Yep! By far the easiest solution. I moved on to HA, but Aloe Vera is excellent too.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:42 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |