Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Help with sebaceous hyperplasia do-it-yourself
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
barbiegal7

Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I am new to posting here on the forums, but last night, I spent about three hours reading up on recommendations for dealing with sebaceous hyperplasia. I have A LOT of bumps on my face, and I really need to figure out a way to deal with them. I have had some removed by a dermatologist a couple of times, but it was severe and left me with an awful wound for a couple of weeks. So I haven't done that again. I use Philosophy Microdelivery Peels once a week, along with their exfoliating wash in the shower every night and a Clairsonic. I have bought acids off eBay, but they didn't really seem to work. I must have $10,000 worth of various potions and creams from the drugstore up to Estee Lauder and Clinique. I am 44 but I have no wrinkles thanks for wonderful genetics from both sides - by the SH is AWFUL. I am VERY pale and have very sensitive skin, so I'm worried about trying harsh things.

He's the real kicker. I am a journalist, and I'm always covering entertainment events here in L.A., so I also have issues with doing anything that would cause major issues with my face for a very long time. A week or two would be the most I could afford to look rough from any method I might try.

After reading all the wonderful recommendations and posts last night, I am more confused than ever!!! There were recommendations for aspirin masks, glycolic peels, Retin-A, Dermawand, Dermarolling (which I'm still trying to research what that is) - I am just confused and have no idea what my first step should be at this point. I had a hysterectomy last July, and it seems like the SH has really gotten worse since then.

I would sincerely love to know what recommendations you guys would give me based on the above as a good start to trying to get rid of what I have - and combat new ones! I do have combination skin. I use Purity for a cleanser, which has always worked well for me. I have big pores. I try to use serums and only oil-free moisturizers, if at all, to prevent too much oil build up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:25 pm      Reply with quote
Hi barbiegal, from all I have read SB seem to be hard to get rid of. Some people on EDS have gotten them removed by a dermatologist only to have them come back later. Retin A can help with them but because your skin is sensitive you might not do well with RA.

This is something that I want to try on mine on my chin. It is called LamProbe. I haven't gotten around to looking a place that offers this service yet. The video shows the procedure and here is another thread on EDS where SB is discussed. Good luck and welcome to EDS. Let us know if something you try works for you.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=iw6hSctJRvk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Diw6hSctJRvk

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=47571

Here is a link to an overall treatment and management of SB.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1059368-treatment

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
THAT video actually got me searching out ways to get rid of my SH!! The website it takes you to looked a little sketchy so I wasn't sure. Do you have any idea what that costs?? Sadly, money is a factor, too. Sad
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry barbiegal I have no idea how much it cost.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:50 am      Reply with quote
After having numerous laser and IPLS, derm visits to burn them off, etc. I can tell you that the ONLY thing that has worked for me is at any time is Accutane.
My derm finally conceded and is going to put me back on it short/low dose since they keep coming back and I have a few more now. Its been a while since I have taken it. I just have to get my cholesterol back down first, since Accutane can raise it. I have to do the blood tests, my derm is strict about it and she was not a happy camper with me, nor my heart doc so on meds until I can get it under control. I have tried natural methods but too much genetics in my family to take any chances.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:38 pm      Reply with quote
AnnieR wrote:
After having numerous laser and IPLS, derm visits to burn them off, etc. I can tell you that the ONLY thing that has worked for me is at any time is Accutane.
My derm finally conceded and is going to put me back on it short/low dose since they keep coming back and I have a few more now. Its been a while since I have taken it. I just have to get my cholesterol back down first, since Accutane can raise it. I have to do the blood tests, my derm is strict about it and she was not a happy camper with me, nor my heart doc so on meds until I can get it under control. I have tried natural methods but too much genetics in my family to take any chances.

Wow, it's scary to think I might have to go that route. Sad But it's getting pretty bad. I must have at least 20 on my face right now - they're getting bad on my forehead, which is new for me. They are usually on my cheeks. I also have a terrible one on the side of my nose that's driving me nuts.

Have you tried the Dermawand? That keeps getting brought up quite a bit. Anybody have luck with SH with the Dermawand, and do you use a product with it?
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:58 am      Reply with quote
Never used the Dermawand, just a Baby Q, dermaroller, vaculifter and Clarisonic.
The derm said the only true way is to shrink them internally. Which makes sense since even cauterizing them doesn't help. I had some lasered 3-4 times and they are still there, albeit smaller.
The only time I have not had them was on the short bouts of Accutane, which isn't for everyone and has its own risks.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
barbiegal7 wrote:

Have you tried the Dermawand? That keeps getting brought up quite a bit. Anybody have luck with SH with the Dermawand, and do you use a product with it?

I have used the Jellen high frequency device, it's like a professional dermawand and never saw any difference. Of course I never saw any difference in my skin with HF so maybe it just doesn't work on me. Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:15 am      Reply with quote
Like Annie, I too have tried just about everything to get rid of SH - and nothing has ever really worked. However, I have never tried Accutane and am not sure whether I really want to.

On the positive side, even though I haven't completely eradicated my bumps, they are far less noticeable. I do obsess over them, but really, they can only be seen when I scrutinise my skin in a magnifying mirror. Whereas they used to be obvious to everyone.

What has helped me is Lactic Acid Peels, Retin-A, NOT using any thick and creamy skin creams, I use watery serums and oils. I've also recently purchased a Philips ReAura Laser and I think that is really helping to keep the condition in check.

I'm inclined to think that SH is an internal problem and can't be cured by using topicals - what the cure is, I don't know.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:23 am      Reply with quote
Good to know, may have to break down and get the ReAura too.
I need to do more peels so that is a good reminder.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:33 am      Reply with quote
I suspect Keliu is correct - that the issue is directly related to internal issues/toxicity.

In TCM and in general most alternative practitioners would recommend to do liver/gallbladder detox and diet review or change (skin and skin oil is directly related to it) - mostly raw vegetables/fruits, no dairy, no sugar/soda/caffeine, limit intake of animal protein to 4 meals a week, etc.

So I would suggest to do that or consult a practitioner in addition to cosmetic approach.

HTH

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
Paula's Choice has a serum that is supposed to minimize them. It's worth a try. It gets good reviews. She has sales all the time too for people on her mailing list:

http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/collections/RESIST-Anti-Aging/_/RESIST-BHA-9/
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:37 pm      Reply with quote
seabliss wrote:
Paula's Choice has a serum that is supposed to minimize them. It's worth a try. It gets good reviews. She has sales all the time too for people on her mailing list:

http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/collections/RESIST-Anti-Aging/_/RESIST-BHA-9/

I am try this product right now. I will let everyone know if it works for SH.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
The Paula's Choice product contains Salicylic Acid which is a pretty standard treatment for congested skin - so it will help. But I still feel that SH is a different "beast".

With regard to it being an internal issue - my thoughts are it could be related to hormones as it tends to show up later in life.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:31 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
The Paula's Choice product contains Salicylic Acid which is a pretty standard treatment for congested skin - so it will help. But I still feel that SH is a different "beast".

With regard to it being an internal issue - my thoughts are it could be related to hormones as it tends to show up later in life.

I have tried all kinds of brands of salicylic acid in the past and none of them worked for my skin. The Paula's choice product is suppose to be different somehow. Don't ask me how but I live in eternal hope that something will work. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:39 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:

I have tried all kinds of brands of salicylic acid in the past and none of them worked for my skin. The Paula's choice product is suppose to be different somehow. Don't ask me how but I live in eternal hope that something will work. Smile

Ok, we'll wait for you to report back! Have you ever tried Lactic Acid peels - they're my favourite.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
Keliu wrote:
CookieD wrote:

Ok, we'll wait for you to report back! Have you ever tried Lactic Acid peels - they're my favourite.

Been there. Done that. Have tried TCA, lactic, salicylic, the apple one, can't think of the name. No results from any of them. Retin A has helped some. That's about it. Sad

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:07 am      Reply with quote
Yes, that is what I have been told Keliu. My derm and ob/gyn have both said it.
Mine started showing up about 5 years ago once I went completely menopausal. I had one ovary after my hysterectomy that kept it at bay for a while.

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 06, 2013 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
In my case, not true re. hormones and later in life. I have some SH, which first showed up a few years before I got pregnant for the first time. I think it's probably genetic, and that's kind of the impression I got from my derm, too. Although I don't think they know for sure.
barbiegal7

Wed May 08, 2013 9:21 pm      Reply with quote
I had a hysterectomy last July, and I definitely quite a LOT more in the past 10 months. My aunts and dad also had them, so I do also think it's hereditary.

Lactic acid peels and Paula's choice, here I come! Anybody ever try straight apple cider vinegar dabbed on them?
barbiegal7

Tue May 21, 2013 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
I thought I would post an update - I got both the Resist Intensive Wrinkle Repair Retinol Serum and the Resist BHA 9 from Paula's Choice, and I'm already seeing quite an improvement!

I have quite a few sebaceous hyperplasia bumps on my face, and between these products and doing the Philosophy Microdelivery Peel, I can tell they are getting flatter. I have a couple of doozy big ones that aren't noticably smaller, but they really are tough ones. I also have seen no new ones beginning to form, which has been an almost weekly occurrence before I started using these two products. After I have done a peel, I feel a bit of stinging and burning with the BHA-9 on the SH spots I put it on, and I honestly feel like that is a good thing - there's no redness or irritability like it's a bad reaction - it just feels like it's WORKING, and I can definitely see that it is. My skin is SO SOFT, too!! And I've noticed the oiliness I usually struggle with has diminished greatly.

I will keep reporting back if people would like me to on how it continues to work.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 21, 2013 4:53 pm      Reply with quote
I am seeing some improvement also. I noticed it the other day and took a picture so I can compare it later down the road. I didn't take a picture at first because I had zero expectations of this working. I have been using the BHA 9 about a month or so but not consistently. I'll keep an eye on it and report later if it gets totally rid of it. I would say my spots were not very bad to begin with and are almost exclusively on my chin.

I did read on Paula's website that a lot of people complain about the amount that comes out of the bottle when you press down. I did order a sample also and just use the bigger bottle to fill that up when it's empty. I just tip the sample bottle upside down with my finger on the opening. Also if you get the sample make sure you shake it. My had all the white stuff down at the bottom when it came. I don't know what that is but I would assume it needs to be mixed up when you use it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 21, 2013 7:54 pm      Reply with quote
I'm sorry you are suffering from SH!

Please do yourself a favor and buy a bottle of Osea's Cleansing Mudd. This product completely got rid of my sebacious hyperplasia (diagnosed by a derm) in 6 months. I always loved this cleanser, but am now in awe of its miraculous powers!

You can opt for the trial size, too--it's certainly not too expensive, considering the large bottle lasts for a year even if you use it 2x daily.

http://www.oseamalibu.com/product_p/ocm-1.htm

--avalange

http://newnaturalbeauty.tumblr.com/ 37, light-toned olive skin, broken caps, normal skin. My staples: Osea cleansing milk, Algae Oil, Advanced Protection Cream, Eyes & Lips, Tata Harper, Julie Hewett makeup, Amazing Cosmetics Powder, & By Terry Light Expert, Burnout, and daily inversion therapy and green smoothies!
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 21, 2013 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
avalange wrote:
I'm sorry you are suffering from SH!

Please do yourself a favor and buy a bottle of Osea's Cleansing Mudd. This product completely got rid of my sebacious hyperplasia (diagnosed by a derm) in 6 months.

Thanks Avalange. I did buy the Osea cleansing mudd based on an earlier review from you. I didn't end up using it 6 months but in the 3 months I used it I never saw any difference. Sad
I am glad it glad it worked though. Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 22, 2013 7:42 am      Reply with quote
So basically it is a serum that you apply all over? Is it pretty drying? My skin does not tolerate Retin A at all but I would like to try this.

Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:32 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |