Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Petrolatum - what are your views?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Violetlight
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 02, 2013 2:07 am      Reply with quote
My hands recently have been incredibly dry, and nothing has helped return them back to normal... except Petrolatum.

I've read lots of negative things about it in the past: just wondering what people's view on it are? Yay or Nay? Smile

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 02, 2013 7:03 am      Reply with quote
I love it and use it, works for me.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 02, 2013 7:59 am      Reply with quote
I use Vaseline daily and have all my life. Sometimes its the ONLY thing that works for me.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 02, 2013 9:22 am      Reply with quote
Where do you guys use it? Ever use it on the face? I used it under my eyes a few times...!

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 02, 2013 9:26 am      Reply with quote
I use it on my face if I am running outside in the cold and wind, on my hands and feet every night and on my lips every day.
Billybob
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 02, 2013 2:32 pm      Reply with quote
Other than to act as a barrier vaseline has no medicinal properties.
However it makes sense to use when running in the cold to protect moisture being wicked out. For cuts etc. it protects skin from bacteria getting in. So, useful after ablative laser for both those reasons.
Although I know a few of you feel it helps grow lashes: of course it doesn't! Bald men would exist no more! I guess if you dont wear makeup it could hold down rogue brows or make your lashes shiny; we used it as lip gloss at school.
As a moisturiser? Far too slick and shiny. Under makeup? Everything slides and smudges off!
So I'm a solid NAY! But thats just my opinion remember.
SnowFairy
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 02, 2013 6:00 pm      Reply with quote
Billybob wrote:
Other than to act as a barrier vaseline has no medicinal properties.
However it makes sense to use when running in the cold to protect moisture being wicked out. For cuts etc. it protects skin from bacteria getting in. So, useful after ablative laser for both those reasons.
Although I know a few of you feel it helps grow lashes: of course it doesn't! Bald men would exist no more! I guess if you dont wear makeup it could hold down rogue brows or make your lashes shiny; we used it as lip gloss at school.
As a moisturiser? Far too slick and shiny. Under makeup? Everything slides and smudges off!
So I'm a solid NAY! But thats just my opinion remember.

I suppose we might actually say that petroleum jelly has medicinal properties. There are documented studies that show it helps in the repair of the skin barrier. Here is a link to one http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1564142
but you can find quite a few with similar results. Personally I think it's a great product. Not under makeup of course or for growing lashes Smile
Violetlight
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 03, 2013 12:36 am      Reply with quote
SnowFairy wrote:

petroleum jelly has medicinal properties. There are documented studies that show it helps in the repair of the skin barrier. Here is a link to one http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1564142
but you can find quite a few with similar results. Personally I think it's a great product. Not under makeup of course or for growing lashes Smile

That's an amazing link! Thank you!!! Off to buy a new tub now Wink

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 03, 2013 12:37 am      Reply with quote
And do you guys think it would be okay to use under the eyes? I'm paranoid about doing more damage under there, but the skin really needs to heal...

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 03, 2013 6:03 am      Reply with quote
I use it under my eyes at night and I'm happy with it. Not too much or I wake up with puffy eyes. A little bit on the orbital bone seems to be enough and it spreads to the under eye just from the warmth of the skin.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 03, 2013 6:41 am      Reply with quote
I use mine on my lips and nose daily. I also use it on my cuticles and feet overnight in the winter or when needed.
I have used it on my entire face after my CO2 laser and Fraxel, as advised by my doctors.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 03, 2013 2:47 pm      Reply with quote
I think the reason it got such a bad rap (besides being a petroleum product) is because it's known to prevent other actives from penetrating the skin due to it's occlusive action.

I think the trick is to allow any actives in thinner formulas to absorb and apply the petroleum product later. Best of both worlds.
girlygirl13

Fri May 03, 2013 3:13 pm      Reply with quote
I use vaseline on my feet occasionally with great results. Got this from my mom: mix in your hands a scrub of 2 parts sugar to 1 part olive oil, rub all over feet- especially on the heels and any callouses, rinse with warm water and pat dry. Rub Vaseline all over your feet, cover with saran wrap, put socks over the saran wrap, carefully walk to bed (it'll feel slippery), and wake up with baby butt smooth feet. Smile You can do the same thing with your hands but it bothers me not to be able to use my hands at night.

According to several biographies I've read, Marilyn Monroe swore by Vaseline as a preventative measure against wrinkles. She did look amazingly young when she passed at age 36. My acne prone skin would hate me for it so I could never try.

Sat May 04, 2013 2:40 am      Reply with quote
I have acne prone skin but have sometimes used Vaseline on my face as well as feet and hands. I usually use it if my skin is irritated from vitamin c serum or retin a in the cold UK winters. It doesn't bother my acne as long as I don't use it every night. Applying it to damp skin in a very thin layer always makes my face lovely and smooth the next morning.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 07, 2013 12:38 am      Reply with quote
Violetlight wrote:
And do you guys think it would be okay to use under the eyes? I'm paranoid about doing more damage under there, but the skin really needs to heal...

I have used it under my eyes every night for over 20 years and my eyes are fine. Got that tip from Eva Fraser although she advised to use it before exercising the eyes. I read in Essence magazine years ago of a celebrity who did it as a night treatment. Since I do face exercises before bed after washing my face, it became the norm to apply Vaseline under eyes before bed.

It was Eva Fraser who introduced me to Vaseline on hands and you can see her hands, which IMO do not betray her age, in the video clip below when she demonstrates an exercise close to the camera. I understand she does a caster sugar scrub but I reckon that is a new addition to her regimen because early in this millennium when I asked about her hands Vaseline and gloves when doing chores and in extreme weather were all she said she uses on them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcyRLKq3aZg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I do not believe Petrolatum is bad. I shared my thoughts on it in this discussion: http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=48594
ATester
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 07, 2013 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
Chlorophyll wrote:
I think the trick is to allow any actives in thinner formulas to absorb and apply the petroleum product later. Best of both worlds.

Yes, that's how I think you can get the best too!!
I found out by applying the treatment cream for eczema on my hands,... and then vaseline at night when it was really bad, and it made it work ten times better than without the vaseline afterwards!!
As by what I read only actives -like vit. A and C can actually prevent wrinkles, but also that petrolatum is one of the best moisturising products for the skin... so I agree totally about the best of both worlds!!
By the way I do apply it under eyes too, not on a regular basis but doing more and more often as I don't seem to be satisfied by the eye creams I buy and petrolatum seems far superior to me than most of them.To not get a greasy feeling I apply over dampened skin and only a small amount to keep the skin moist.
Love to hear more about petrolatum use, never tried on feet, may try if I see I need to though.
mountaingirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 07, 2013 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
Alba makes an "un-petroleum" jelly that is faaaabulous called Multi Purpose Jelly. You wouldn't even know it's not petroleum jelly until you read the ingredients:

Ricinus communis (castor) seed oil, cocos nucifera (coconut)oil, beeswax, hydrogenated castor oil, tocopheryl acetate, and tocopheral
(vitamin E). (No parafins, mineral oil, or fragrances.)

Even though it has all that castor oil in it, I don't find it drying at all. I luv the stuff!! You can buy it in a health food store.

Vehicle is a 1952 scratch and dent model....olive-ish, dry skin, long curly gray hair. Staples: Tazorac, 2mm Dermaroller, Anti Aging Light Stim, Devita Sunscreens, homemade C serums, some positive affirmations and whatever else it takes! Kicking and screaming the whole way...
Debb3485
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue May 07, 2013 5:02 pm      Reply with quote
Violetlight wrote:
My hands recently have been incredibly dry, and nothing has helped return them back to normal... except Petrolatum.

I've read lots of negative things about it in the past: just wondering what people's view on it are? Yay or Nay? Smile

I was recently at my derm and I asked him what to put on my dry, cracked cuticles and he told me vaseline, it was still the best moisturizer around. And yes, it is made out of petroleum. I started putting it on my hands and wearing a sock at night and it did help a lot. So my derm definitely is not against petroleum if he recommended I use vaseline!
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 08, 2013 9:36 am      Reply with quote
i think creme de la mer if i remember correctly has mineral oil or petroleum.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:05 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |