Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Osea Seaglow Overnight Serum AHA Treatment (34 ml / 1.2 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
tomatoes and orange skin
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 08, 2013 9:21 am      Reply with quote
i noticed my skin is kind of orange ever since i have been drinking blended bolied tomatoes.

My mum boils 3 medium tomatoes to increase lycopine and antioxidants. i blend them in a blender and drinks them.

Did this cause my skin to turn orange i am very afraid. And no i am not eating papaya and carrots
Pandax12
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 08, 2013 2:01 pm      Reply with quote
Yes this is likely the cause. Nothing to worry about. I myself had this happen. Though I can only really see it on my hands. Especially when I eat sweet potatoes daily.You could supplement lycopene (20mg) daily if you think your maybe getting a lil too much.
ellaelise
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 08, 2013 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
Yup. Red foods actually make your skin orange, while orange foods will make your skin more yellowish (or so I have heard!) It most likely is the tomatoes.
cali1979
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 09, 2013 12:47 am      Reply with quote
I don't think so.Tomatoes won't cause skin into orange.
havana8

Thu May 09, 2013 7:00 am      Reply with quote
Reminds me of this thread... Smile

Eating Vegetables Gives You a Healthy Tan says study
http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=41759

Quote:
New research suggests eating vegetables gives you a healthy tan. The study, led by Dr Ian Stephen at The University of Nottingham, showed that eating a healthy diet rich in fruit and vegetables gives you a more healthy golden glow than the sun.

The research, which showed that instead of heading for the sun the best way to look good is to munch on carrots and tomatoes, has been published in the Journal Evolution and Human Behaviour.

Dr Ian Stephen, from the School of Psychology, University of Nottingham, Malaysia Campus, led the research as part of his PhD at the University of St Andrews and Bristol University. He said: "Most people think the best way to improve skin colour is to get a suntan, but our research shows that eating lots of fruit and vegetables is actually more effective.

Dr Stephen and his team in the Perception Lab found that people who eat more portions of fruit and vegetables per day have a more golden skin colour, thanks to substances called carotenoids. Carotenoids are antioxidants that help soak up damaging compounds produced by the stresses and strains of everyday living, especially when the body is combating disease. Responsible for the red colouring in fruit and vegetables such as carrots and tomatoes, carotenoids are important for our immune and reproductive systems.

Dr Stephen said: "We found that, given the choice between skin colour caused by suntan and skin colour caused by carotenoids, people preferred the carotenoid skin colour, so if you want a healthier and more attractive skin colour, you are better off eating a healthy diet with plenty of fruit and vegetables than lying in the sun."

Read more here: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110111133224.htm

Quote:
Skin Diet: Fruits And Vegetables Can Improve Tone, Study Says

Eat produce, change your skin?

That's the finding of a small, new study done in Scotland that suggests fruit and vegetable consumption changes the redness and yellowness of people's skin. And those hue changes, the researchers claim, are linked to increased attractiveness.

In the experiment, researchers looked at 35 university students between the ages of 18 and 25, all but one of whom were white. At several points over six weeks, those students answered questions about their fruit and vegetable intake, while researchers recorded their skin-color.

According to the results, undergrads who ate more fruits and vegetables experienced an increase in skin redness and yellowness -- changes the researchers chalk up to carotenoids, or highly pigmented compounds found in many fruits and vegetables.

Read the rest of the article here: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/08/veggies-change-skin-tone_n_1324549.html

See the study here:

You Are What You Eat: Within-Subject Increases in Fruit and Vegetable Consumption Confer Beneficial Skin-Color Changes
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0032988#s3
ellaelise
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 09, 2013 9:29 pm      Reply with quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carotenosis

Tomatoes are indeed listed as a cause of orange skin

Quote:
Treatment for this discoloration is a change to a low-carotene diet, but it may take several months for the skin to return to its normal color. Just don't substitute tomatoes for your carrots. Eating too many tomatoes can cause a yellow-orange discoloration of the skin called lycopenemia, due to the accumulation of lycopene in the tissues. The treatment for lycopenemia is also dietary modification.

http://www.uamshealth.com/?id=892&sid=1

I am surprised that the amount you're eating has changed your skin color, but are you eating other red or orange-ish foods? Just stop for a few months, and then try to lower your intake, and you will be fine Smile
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 09, 2013 11:17 pm      Reply with quote
yes yes yes the orangey tan which does not look good on me. but i have to say 3 months back i made a diy vitamin c serum and i smeared it all over my body then my skin took on an orange tan but its been so long should have faded off by then.

eh no i am not eating other red or orange foods only tomato. i dun want to supplement lycopene i prefer it natural. how maddening when i am doing things to help get better skin
ellaelise
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 11, 2013 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
Salome, that IS super annoying. DO you have fair skin? I do, and so I'm more "prone" to things like that happening. I would just cut back for a few weeks (or however long it takes) and then try to drink the tomatoes a few times a week instead of every day. Hope you manage to drink them without the orange skin! Smile
Salome_B
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon May 13, 2013 4:19 am      Reply with quote
ellaelise wrote:
Salome, that IS super annoying. DO you have fair skin? I do, and so I'm more "prone" to things like that happening. I would just cut back for a few weeks (or however long it takes) and then try to drink the tomatoes a few times a week instead of every day. Hope you manage to drink them without the orange skin! Smile

i am medium toned but recently i became fairer. then i took coq10 pills my skin dried became darker, i stopped and my skin became fairer. then i applied my diy vit c on my body i became orange. not so sure if it is the tomatoes or the vit c. i am now drinking 1 tomatoes now. Smile
JacobMiller
5% products discount

Thu May 16, 2013 3:09 am      Reply with quote
I don't think so. Don't Afraid from tomatoes. Tomatoes is very health vegetable and it have never bad effect to our body. Tomatoes won't cause skin into orange.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:03 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |