Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
Coenzyme q10 supplement question
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
-rusalka-
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:47 am      Reply with quote
I did a search and couldn't find any results for this, so sorry if this subject is pre-existing somewhere in the forum!!

I'm thinking about taking some coq10 supplements because of everything I've read about their antioxidant/anti-aging properties on top of being good for cellular respiration. The problem is, textbooks and articles I've read only state the main biological purpose of coq10, and I can't find *anything* on dosage amounts for skin health, or even if it's safe. I don't have any heart or other medical issues (I'm 25), so I was wondering if anyone has or is taking these supplements, if they're safe to the best of your knowledge, what's a recommended dose, and if it appears to make any difference? Most articles I've read don't have any definitive conclusion about their use as a supplement.

Thanks!!
kjb
5% products discount

Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:10 am      Reply with quote
Not sure if you saw this one:

Coenzyme Q10
Also known as ubiquinone, Co-Q10 is a naturally occurring vitaminlike compound that plays a role in cellular energy production. Although the body produces Co-Q10, after age 35 or 40 production rates drop resulting in insufficiencies that can impair optimal function. Often used to treat heart disease, Co-Q10’s antioxidant abilities are what prompted researchers to test its efficacy as a skin care ingredient.

In one study, Co-Q10 decreased the effects of skin tissue damage by lessening the effects of free radical molecules. In this placebo-controlled study, researchers found that after applying Co-Q10 daily to crow’s feet for six weeks, wrinkle depth was reduced by 27 percent; after 10 weeks, wrinkle depth was reduced by 43 percent. In the same study, researchers discovered the skin’s resistance to UV damage can be increased when CO-Q10 is applied.

Results of several studies also have shown that when topically applied to rat skin, Co-Q10 is readily absorbed. This is important, because although many compounds perform well in vitro, they must also be able to penetrate the skin to work.

I'm kinda bored just sitting here at home on the computer today - I will see what else I can dig up for you Smile
Gaby
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:55 am      Reply with quote
I take a coQ10 supplement which I believe is 100mg I didn't start it for my skin specifically and because I have started using lots of new products (thanks to this forum Laughing ) I couldn't tell you whether it is responsible for any skin improvement. I take it more for general health purposes. Would be interested in anyone elses opinion.
-rusalka-
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:40 am      Reply with quote
kjb- Thanks for the info!! I think that's one of the articles/sites I had found the other day. That and everything else I've read sound great, and it makes me wonder what's better for the body as an antioxidant supplement: pomegranate, acai, grapeseed extract, or coq10.

If you find anything else, please share if you can!! Smile
kjb
5% products discount

Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:46 am      Reply with quote
Not sure if any of this will help you or not.......I'm not even sure what half of it means Embarassed

"The processes of aging and photoaging are associated with an increase in cellular oxidation. This may be in part due to a decline in the levels of the endogenous cellular antioxidant coenzyme Q10 (ubiquinone, CoQ10). Therefore, we have investigated whether topical application of CoQ10 has the beneficial effect of preventing photoaging. We were able to demonstrate that CoQ10 penetrated into the viable layers of the epidermis and reduce the level of oxidation measured by weak photon emission. Furthermore, a reduction in wrinkle depth following CoQ10 application was also shown. CoQ10 was determined to be effective against UVA mediated oxidative stress in human keratinocytes in terms of thiol depletion, activation of specific phosphotyrosine kinases and prevention of oxidative DNA damage. CoQ10 was also able to significantly suppress the expression of collagenase in human dermal fibroblasts following UVA irradiation. These results indicate that CoQ10 has the efficacy to prevent many of the detrimental effects of photoaging.
Oxidative stress (UV irradiation, free radicals) plays a significant role in aging. Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10) and exogenously applied antioxidants can significantly reduce the formation of oxidative stress with increasing age. In our in vitro and in vivo experiments concerning the parameters of ultraweak photon emission (UPE), intracellular thiol status, mitochondrial membrane potential and cell vitality, we demonstrated a diminished resistance in keratinocytes of old donors against UV irradiation. This reduced epidermal resistance against oxidative stressors, i.e. UV irradiation, can be improved by topical application of CoQ10 and antioxidants like alpha-glucosylrutin (15). Furthermore, our in vivo investigations show that wrinkles around the region of the eyes ("crow feet") could be reduced by long-term application of CoQ10."

Sounds promising, maybe would sound better if I could figure it out!
rzecka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:04 pm      Reply with quote
This is taken from Dr. Perricone's Wrinkle Cure book (which btw was sent to me by the fabulous Cindi - thanks girl )

Cooenzyme Q10
30-100mg daily under age 40.
100mg daily over age 40.
Consult your physician for dosages related to heart disease.

HTH
Cool
Cindi
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
So you did read it then Shock
angelwhip
5% products discount

Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:51 pm      Reply with quote
I just started the Dr.Strauss
Herat drops, from every thing i have read about it, it is better and works the same way... Can get it at ALIVE
big bottle is 67.99
They are drops done here in B.C.
i was taking Q10 but will stop to see how this works,,,, LIZ
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:20 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology Skin Signals Solution - Large (113 g / 4 oz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |