Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Dangerous -- Garlic & skin healing??!! Well, I did it...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
bombshellbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 09, 2013 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I have been breaking out very badly lately, I am talking acne... cysts, my face was majorly in pain from all of the red pimples and bumps on my face. I am 35!! What is going on...

So, my mom came up with this idea. I just wanted to run it by you guys and see what you think, because IT WORKED, but I don't want to damage my skin in the long run.

Here is what I did:

I mashed up some fresh, raw garlic and put the mixture on all red spots, taking care to put a lot on the red puss ones that really hurt. I bandaged my face up with gauze and medical tape and went to bed.

I woke up with the parts of my face pink, the next day, skin started peeling and scabs were forming. The area was VERY DRY, I cleaned my skin with witch hazel and put jojoba oil with some tea tree oil on it, I kept it moist and my face bandaged up for 4 days. By day 4 my skin was starting to feel normal again, and guess what... no pigmentation, no pimples, just nice skin. I can actually just use some BB cream instead of foundation and I look like a normal person again.

Now, here is my question. Is this bad for my skin in the long run, I mean, when it is red and scabby, it is ugly. Thank goodness I work from home.

I looked up the PH for raw garlic and it is 5.80... not sure if I should do it again, if I get a pimple.

I am sick of ugly skin and this gives me great skin.

Stop or do it again when I get break out?

Waiting for your advice.

33 yrs old - female - light brown hair with high lights - green eyes - medium/light skin tone yellow undertones : ROUTINE : (AM) Cold Water (PM) Facial Massage , OCM (1-2x Weekly) Home Facial (Monthly) Pro Facial ---- Things I am thinking about: Dermaroller, Facial Exercises, DIY Creams...JUST BOUGHT BABY Q POWER PACK -- Can't wait!
ellaelise
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 09, 2013 10:59 pm      Reply with quote
That's really interesting bombshellbella. I can't help you because I'm clueless, but I'd be interested in hearing what other people say. No pigmentation?? That's sort of a miracle... I hope it's okay for your skin because it sounds like you have had great results. I do have a feeling that if nothing else, you'll be advised to try to figure out what started the break outs to begin with, you know?
bombshellbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 09, 2013 11:20 pm      Reply with quote
I know, I have no clue why I break out. I always have had a bit of acne as a teen, and then my skin cleared up during my pregnancys but for some reason, I have always dealt with acne in a mild or severe form.

But the garlic is helpful. I wish I took before and after.

33 yrs old - female - light brown hair with high lights - green eyes - medium/light skin tone yellow undertones : ROUTINE : (AM) Cold Water (PM) Facial Massage , OCM (1-2x Weekly) Home Facial (Monthly) Pro Facial ---- Things I am thinking about: Dermaroller, Facial Exercises, DIY Creams...JUST BOUGHT BABY Q POWER PACK -- Can't wait!
winewine
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu May 09, 2013 11:45 pm      Reply with quote
hmmm.....I did something similar before. I had one really bad acne on my chin and I heard about usung garlic to help. I rubbed a halved garlic clove on the spot while I was watching TV (a good one hour) and my skin got burnt. I ended up having a dark dark scar for almost one year. I would recomend you to use the garlic juice to maybe clean your face but putting it on overnight... Iwould not dare to do that again.
bombshellbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 10, 2013 5:02 am      Reply with quote
My skin "burnt" too... my I do not have spots left, just normal skin. Isn't that weird?

havana8

Fri May 10, 2013 7:40 am      Reply with quote
From what I've read, you may want to dilute or buffer the raw garlic with oil, glycerin or petrolatum or gauze when using it topically.

These excepts might be of some interest:

Quote:
Topical garlic can cause skin irritation, blistering, and even third-degree burns, so be very careful about applying garlic directly to the skin.

More here: http://www.med.nyu.edu/content?ChunkIID=21729

Quote:
Skin Problems

Garlic has wonderful antiseptic properties that can be used to treat many skin conditions and external infections. There are a number of options for antiseptic applications, depending on the nature of the skin complaint:

Acne, spots or mouth ulcers
Simply hold a chopped clove against the affected area for a few minutes.

Small areas of skin such as a minor wound, boil, blemish or infection
First apply petroleum jelly to the surrounding area of skin. Crush a small amount of garlic onto a cotton ball or a plaster then stick it in place and leave for 15-20 minutes while it draws out the infection and reduces any swelling. Carefully peel off and rinse with warm water. You can repeat this morning and night for as long as necessary to promote healing.

Larger areas of skin
Make a solution of 100 ml (1/4 cup) warm water and 3 cloves of crushed garlic then dab onto the affected area with cotton wool. Use the solution within 3 hours as it will lose its potency over time. Always make a new solution for each application.

Planter warts
First protect the healthy skin around the wart by smearing it with petroleum jelly before applying the garlic. Thinly slice a clove of garlic then put a slice onto the wart, securing it in place with a plaster or piece of gauze and medical tape. Replace with a fresh slice of garlic daily. This method should dissolve the wart within a week.

Athlete’s foot
This fungal skin infection is incredibly common and can be itchy, but applying garlic paste helps to clear it.

Garlic remedies: garlic paste
Crush a few cloves of garlic into olive oil to make a paste. Leave for 24 hours before applying the oil between the toes 3-4 times a day. You can also soak a cotton ball in the paste and place it between the toes overnight. Put socks on to protect your bedding from garlic aromas! Alternatively, sprinkle powdered garlic daily on wet feet and allow to dry (socks may be worn).

Rashes
Garlic tea, applied cool with a cotton ball or by drinking, will relieve itching, painful rashes caused by poison ivy and poison oak — see the recipe later on in this article (Colds and coughs). It is also good for nettle stings.

Read more: http://www.motherearthliving.com/health-and-wellness/natural-remedies/garlic-remedies-ze0z1211zwar.aspx?ViewAll=True#ixzz2StodfCLt

Quote:
For external application, use caution putting crushed garlic directly against the skin, because it can cause burns. Here are some forms you can use for direct application of garlic as an antibiotic:

Blend up three cloves of garlic in a quart of water and apply as a wash. Make a larger amount of this mixture and use it as a sitz bath or foot bath for infections of the feet or pelvic area.

Crush garlic, and dilute the juice with ten part of water. Use it as nose drops or a gargle.

More here: http://medherb.com/Materia_Medica/Allium_sativum_-_Antibiotic_and_Immune_Properties.htm

Quote:
Leave the application on for about 5 minutes, and then wash it off. Do not leave it on overnight because the elements contained in the garlic juice are so strong they may burn your skin.

Read more: How to Use Fresh Garlic to Cure Acne | eHow http://www.ehow.com/how_2119700_use-fresh-garlic-cure-acne.html#ixzz2Sttwtm87

This is from an animal herbalist but I think it holds true for humans as well:

Quote:
3) If you decide to use garlic as a topical antibiotic, bear in mind that raw garlic juice is very, very strong, and may cause acute reddening and irritation to skin and mucous membranes if applied in undiluted form. Cut the juice with some olive oil, vegetable glycerin, or water; at a starting rate of one part of pure garlic juice to two parts of inert liquid (oil, water, etc.). If irritation still occurs, dilute it more. All of this can be avoided by infusing fresh cloves directly into olive oil— more on this in a minute.

Freshly crushed garlic, or juice can be infused or diluted into olive oil for use as a topical antiseptic for minor injuries, ear infections;, or mites. The rule here is to be sure the garlic is diluted sufficiently— the volatile oils are very strong and can cause burning irritation if applied to the skin in concentrated form. Never… never apply essential oil of garlic to any part of the body; it’s too concentrated. And never use garlic preparations in the eyes.

More here: http://theanimalherbalist.com/?page_id=169
bombshellbella
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri May 10, 2013 8:22 am      Reply with quote
So will the burnt parts cause premature wrinkling.

Thanks so much everyone!!

heyheymonster
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 11, 2013 7:36 am      Reply with quote
Ha I actually just took garlic cloves and rubbed them on my acne a few years ago. At first it helped a lot but the affect started to wear off,my skin had a weird texture and of course my face smelled...so I guess as a spot treatment everyonce in awhile but I wouldn't recommend putting it all over.
ellaelise
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat May 11, 2013 3:54 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you havana, that was very helpful!!
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed May 22, 2013 2:45 pm      Reply with quote
I broke out a lot in my early 30s; hormonal imbalances were likely the cause. I now use progesterone cream which seems to help and have learned a lot from reading the articles by a biologist named Ray Peat.

Personally I could not put garlic on my face. I used to use a lot of Milk of Magnesia masks but probably aspirin is better. Also, topical retinoids.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:36 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |