Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Toners - alcohol , no alcohol?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Aga
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:05 pm      Reply with quote
Hello,

Whats the differnce between toners with or without alcohol?

Which ones are better for dry skin?

Aga
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:24 pm      Reply with quote
Aga,

If you skin is dry you want to stay away from a high percentage of alcohol. Look at the ingredients. If alcohol is one of the last ingredients it should be OK. However, if at the top of the list and one of the main ingredients I don't think it's for you. There are toners without any alcohol.
Aga
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:25 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Winnie!
Do you happen to know what alcohol does in toners?

I was looking at the Dr Hs toner but it does have alcohol, somewhere in the middle of the list I think.

Aga
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:33 pm      Reply with quote
Aga,

I am not an expert on toners. I do know that alcohol is ultra drying.
jcp
5% products discount

Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
I've recently been using the Avalon Organics Lavender Hydrating Toner. It doesn't contain any alcohol at all. I have pretty sensitive, dryish skin, and it seems to work well for me. HTH!
mtview
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
Sometimes toners with alcohol are called astrigent as well. It is more suitable for oily skin since it is more drying.

For dry/sensitive skin, try to use alchol-free toners.
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:10 pm      Reply with quote
Alcohol is drying, even on my oily skin. I try to avoid alcoholic products..unless it's going in my mouth... Very Happy
Kinga
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:34 pm      Reply with quote
Alcohol in a toner is a not a good idea... it does dry your skin a little but it is only on the surface of the epidermis.

It doesn't work as well to remove dirt and shrink your porse. If your skin is oily you are better of with a product that contains witch hazel or grapefruit.

howeve you indicated that you have dry skin. in your case i would not buy a product with alcohol either. It also dries your skin a bit and you need something that would sooth your skin not make it any drier. Yonka toners are very good. My mother uses them for her dry skin and she is happy with them. (then again iam a fan of Yonka) Yonka Lotion PS is a good product to use its not that exepnsive so you can experiment and see if it would benefit your skin.

If you have alcohol in the toner but its one of few ingredience than it should be ok, but if alcohol is the fist item on the list then i would stay away from it period.
I find that too much alcohol on the skin can have a major effect on your skin.

k Wink

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:34 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for the info girls!

Now it all makes sense Smile

Im going to browse thru EDS and see what they have as far as alcohol free toners Smile

Thanks again!
Aga
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
Alcohol is placed in products as an antiseptic or to dry out oily skin. The reasons to avoid alcohol are because it can strip the skin of it's natural oils which makes the skin try to protect itself by producing extra oil leading to a vicious circle with oily skin problems. Decleor tonifying lotion is for all skin types and has no alcohol, it's also got essential oils so is great for dry skin.
Mabsy

Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:52 am      Reply with quote
Aga wrote:

I was looking at the Dr Hs toner but it does have alcohol, somewhere in the middle of the list I think.

You will find that most of the Dr Hauschka products have alcohol. This is because alcohol is actually required in order to get the extracts from the herbs. This alcohol is obtained from fermenting fruit (I think) and is not the same as "normal" alcohol. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that one.
carekate
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:11 am      Reply with quote
mtview wrote:
Sometimes toners with alcohol are called astrigent as well. It is more suitable for oily skin since it is more drying.
Actually, alcohol in a toner is NOT suitable for oily skin! The reason: the alcohol overstrips oily skin, causing your sebum glands to go into overdrive and produce even more oil!! Trust me on this – I learned the hard way! Confused
sarahb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:34 am      Reply with quote
Didn't I already write that?
Aga
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:52 am      Reply with quote
Seems that alcohol doesnt do any skin any good huh?

Aga
skinprofusion
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:44 pm      Reply with quote
I would stay away from alcohol if your oily or dry.. i think it's just strips your skin. i was using things with alcohol in them.. and my skin is oily.. now i use everything alcohol free and i have hardly any oil on my face .. alcohol is also known to age the skin.. cause alcohol is drying.. makes sense. try dermalogica.. they have a few nice alcohol free toners.. good luck krys.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:28 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |