Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Finally a weight loss method that works for me during meno..
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » EDS Lounge
Reply to topic
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:43 pm      Reply with quote
For boredom try sugarless gum - so many yummy flavours (yup, I get bored).

For actual empty feeling that gets out of control, drink hot water. Somehow that fact that it is hot makes it feel like you are actually treating yourself.

To make your 500 calories FEEL like more start your meal with glass of water, glass of psyllium fiber (metamucal type without sugar), an extra glass of water, wait 10 minutes then eat. You will feel fuller.

A head of romaine lettuce can take a long time to eat and has a satisfying crunch with even fewer highly nutritious calories than an apple. But I love my apples!
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:50 pm      Reply with quote
I saw on amazon there is a 5:2 cookbook, with ideas for how to eat on fast days and keep it interesting..has anyone got the book?

I love katebargolds idea of a shake with greens and protein, then salmon or chicken and veg later..but I'd definitely need some food variety.

I think I'm going to start this eating plan. I have zero idea about calories, have never eaten with a calorific awareness, only with a health awareness and a taste awareness.

I guess chia seeds would come in handy on this plan.
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:30 am      Reply with quote
Green Tea with Stevia helps me.... I have a bunch of 50 calorie snacks and several recipes with their calorie count if you guys want me to post them? I have the 5:2 bikini recipe book (I can dream!) and there are lots of recipes in there - but you can get them online for free too!

I drink lemon water all day to stay "full"...oh yes, and the sugarless gum is a must! Plus chewing gum burns calories! Smile

...Today I brought in a soup that has under 60 calories in a cup - it's all veggies and broth w/ kale, basil leaves, and baby spinach - I add spicy v8 for some metabolism boosting hot stuff!

So I'll do a couple of cups of the soup. If I'm about to eat my arm, I brought in a cut up bell pepper and two baby cucumbers (those have 10 calories each).. and for dinner tonight I'll have grilled chicken with either broccoli or spinach salad...

But then I'm DONE for the week! No more counting until Monday....yay!

xo

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:41 am      Reply with quote
Great stuff. Thanks Mariav and everyone.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:58 pm      Reply with quote
If you get tired of 5:2, you can always try Bob Harper's new book Jumpstart to Skinny. At the end of the day, weight loss will always be about calories:
http://www.amazon.com/Jumpstart-Skinny-Simple-3-Week-Supercharged/dp/0345545109/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371671600&sr=8-1&keywords=jumpstart+to+skinny

Keep in mind weight challenges in meno are due to hormonal imbalances, ie estrogen dominance so you may need to use progesterone. Also realize accumulated PUFAs (nuts, vegetable oils, salmon, etc) are a huge cause of diabetes and blood sugar control problems; aspirin and coconut oil help block their effects and also lower estrogen and cholesterol while helping to boost the thyroid.
catski
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:02 am      Reply with quote
Gretchen..aspirin helps boost thyroid? Or just cocnut oil?
alabamagirl
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:28 pm      Reply with quote
mariav,
I'd love to see your recipes!
I ordered the 5:2 diet book, just 2.99 on kindle and want to give this program a shot. I only tried one day and 900 calories was as low as I could go. I did bike ride for two hours that day so I don't feel guilty. Smile I need to stock up on raw veggies and fruits.

Does anyone feel they'll have to "ease into" going so low-calorie? It may take a couple of weeks before I can manage it.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:07 pm      Reply with quote
alabamagirl wrote:
mariav,
I'd love to see your recipes!
I ordered the 5:2 diet book, just 2.99 on kindle and want to give this program a shot. I only tried one day and 900 calories was as low as I could go. I did bike ride for two hours that day so I don't feel guilty. Smile I need to stock up on raw veggies and fruits.

Does anyone feel they'll have to "ease into" going so low-calorie? It may take a couple of weeks before I can manage it.

I definitely have to prepare for my 500 calorie days - I know exactly what I'm going to eat and when I'm going to eat it... funny, when it's time to eat on my fasting days I can not tell you how GOOD real food tastes! I do a lot of lemon water on those days - and a cup or two of green tea - I fill up on mostly proteins and veggies and a soup (I'll send recipes) that has only 50 calories a cup but is really good. If you like them, having a supply of boiled eggs on hand is always a good thing...lots of protein/biotin and they hold me over if I'm really hungry - there's 70-80 calories in a hardboiled egg.

They actually don't recommend you do major heavy exercise on your fasting days b/c you're not getting a lot of calories - so I usually will just walk, though I did do a Zumba class Monday night (a fast day) and had no problems.

The scale did not read any more lbs down as yet...but I'm hoping that by Monday I'll be down 1-1.5 more which will put me at about 8.5-9 lbs down. A miracle for me.

xo

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:15 pm      Reply with quote
GARDEN VEGGIE SOUP:

Saute a couple of cloves of garlic, a 1/4 cup of onion, and 1/2 cup chopped carrots in a tsp of olive oil and lightly cooking sprayed med stock pot (sauté about 5 minutes)

Add 3 cups of chix or veggie broth and a tbs of tomato paste (I also add spicy V8 juice!) and bring to a slow boil....reduce to simmer and add Napa cabbage(or other cabbage, fresh basil leaves, and any other kinds of greens you like - I added baby spinach and baby kale.... simmer about 15 minutes - then add one chopped zucchini - simmer for another 5 minutes and eat (50 calories a cup) Oh, I also add spices like pepper, pink Himalayan salt, oregano, Italian seasoning... etc..

EASY SUMMER SALAD:

• 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced
• 1 cucumber, peeled and diced
• 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
• 1/4 cup fresh parsely, coarsely chopped
• ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
• 1/4 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
• 1/4 teaspoon Pink Himalayan sea salt, or to taste
• freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Combine tomatoes, cucumber, scallions, parsley, olives, oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a medium bowl; toss gently to mix. Serve within 1 hour.
1 Cup = 152 calories

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
Creamy Broccoli Soup

• 1 TBL coconut oil or Extra virgin olive oil
• 1 medium yellow onion
• 2 garlic cloves minced
• ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
• 6 cups vegetable broth (using 6 cups water + 2 knorr homestyle vegetable stock concentrate tubs)
• 8 cups broccoli, trimmed and chopped
• 3 cups baby spinach
• 1 avocado, chopped
• Sea salt and paper to taste
Heat oil in medium post over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until tender 6-8 min. Add broth and bring to a boil. Add broccoli and cook until tender. Remove from heat and stir in spinach. Let it cool slightly. Transfer to blender or using immersion blender, puree with avocado. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with additional avocado if desired. Can eat hot or cold.

Beet & Celery Salad
• 5-6 medium beets
• ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
• 2 TBL Apple Cider Vinegar
• 1 tsp Dijon mustard
• ½ tsp honey
• ½ tsp. Himalayan Sea Salt
• 1-2 Stalks celery finely chopped
• 1 large shallot
• Fresh ground pepper to taste
• ½ cup chopped walnuts
Roast or boil beets until tender, about an hour. Whisk together the oil, vinegar, mustard, honey salt and pepper to blend dressing. Cube beets into ½ inch pieces and place in bowl. Add celery, shallots and dressing, toss til all is coated. Serve room temp or chilled. Serves 8 - ½ cup servings
½ cup serving is 170 cal. Leave out the walnuts and the serving is 120 cal.

10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:22 pm      Reply with quote
The recipes sound great--thanks! One question-- on the soup, do you add a whole head of cabbage?

Sorry, one more question. I see you love pink Himalayan salt. Does it have a unique taste or is it extra-nutritious? I do use coarse ground sea salt but haven't tried any "gourmet" salts.

I think I'm going to freeze some grapes and bananas tomorrow for when I'm craving sweets.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:23 am      Reply with quote
Here you go, Alabama Girl! I had read about Himalyan Pink Sea Salt on a health board somewhere and now use it all the time!

Better Than Salt
Himalayan pink salt isn't your average table salt. Hand-harvested and minimally processed, it contains 84 minerals and trace elements that are highly beneficial for the body including magnesium, calcium, copper, potassium and iron, according to the website The Greater Green. "Regular consumption of Himalayan pink salt provides essential minerals, trace elements, balances electrolytes, supports proper nutrient absorption, eliminates toxins, balances the body's pH, normalizes blood pressure, and increases circulation and conductivity," according to the website.

Regular table salt is "actually full of many forms of chemicals and even sugar", according to natural health website Global Healing Center. This type of salt is difficult to digest and can lead to inflammation of the tissues, high blood pressure and bloating. Himalayan pink salt is easier for the body to process, requiring far less cellular water in order to neutralize the sodium chloride content in chemically-treated salt.

A Cure for What Ails You
Aside from being a much healthier alternative to salt, Himalayan pink salt serves up a healthy dose of healing for tired, aching muscles, skin rashes, arthritis, herpes, and flu and fever symptoms, according to The Greener Good. Herbal products company Mountain Rose Herbs suggests taking regular saltwater baths with Himalayan pink salt to aid in detoxification, to strengthen the immune system, heal skin diseases, relieve rheumatism and joint diseases, balance the skin's pH, and aid in recovery after surgery.

Sole for Your Soul
Sole is a drinking brine made with pure Himalayan salt crystals. Just as bathing in the brine might be therapeutic for a range of conditions, drinking a glass of brine every morning is thought to contribute to the overall health and well-being of the body. According to Minnesota Wellness Publications, a nonprofit health and wellness organization, Himalayan salt contains "eons of stored sunlight energy," which, when combined with spring water and consumed, provides the "complex mineral foundation for life to emerge, to be maintained and sustained." Online purveyor of Himalayan pink salt, Psymphony, reports that drinking a sole solution every morning balances the body's pH level, normalize blood pressure, dissolve sediment that causes kidney and gall bladder stone and arthritis, reduce cravings for addictive substances and clear skin disease by cleansing toxins from the body. However, do not use Himalayan pink salt as a replacement for conventional medicine. Consult a doctor before using Himalayan pink salt as an alternative medicine.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/267937-what-are-the-benefits-of-himalayan-pink-salt/#ixzz2WrfGciMx

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
WOW!!!

I can't wait to get to the store and buy some. I'll be trying the sole drink too.

This is awesome information and something I had not heard before.

You rock mariav Cool

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:23 pm      Reply with quote
Another WOW here!!!
I actually purchased Himalyan Pink Salt a good few months ago just because I saw it at a friends home and decided to try it... And it has been sitting in the cupboard since then!!! Must start using it!!!!
Also must look up about how to make the sole drink.
Following the post I must say I don't find the fast day difficult at all!!! I guess it is because I firmly believe "It is only one day"... Also because I love eggs, and the breakfast on that day was egg... I've also introduced drinking green tea every day now, and think it is helping too to shed some pounds.
Going to start the honey & cinnamon "tea" too, basically because I love them both and just started a search about the benefits they both have.
Thanks again Mariav for starting this thread, I doubt I would have learnt about the 5:2 diet and less thought about searching the Himalyan Pink Salt benefits!!!!
peaprincess
5% products discount

Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:15 am      Reply with quote
I tried the 5:2 diet back at the beginning of the year, having read the book by Michael Mosley and Mimi Spencer. I liked the idea of fasting for weight and especially health. The book is really a very enjoyable read in itself (I have it on kindle).

I'm afraid I can't tell you whether the diet worked for me. By that, I mean it didn't work but that it was my own fault.

I found the fasting days a challenge but in a positive way. It actually felt good for me to be hungry, and not just to reach into the pantry or fridge. It also felt good in a purely physical way.

I would have nothing at breakfast time, and then a green smoothies at lunch time. My green smoothies (a smaller vitamin container full) contain about 200 cals, which surprised me. I have masses of leaves, an apple, a mango, a banana and some ginger. When I look at that I see it's very sugary, albeit fruit.

Anyhow, that would take me up to my evening meal, where I would have 300 or 400 cals with my dh and nine-year old son, which meant having the same protein source as them, with some veg.

All this was great. My problem was self control on the non-fasting days. I was a total out-of-control piglet because the book said you can eat what you like on your days off, but that most people don't. Unfortunately, after having a day of 500ish cals, I was dreaming about breakfast the next morning before I even woke up. Seriously, I started eating jam on toast! I didn't even like jam on toast as a child, for goodness sake. All this made me extremely cross with myself, so after about three weeks I gave it up.

I think a better approach for someone like myself is one that has no option to be "bad" and to lose control. For instance, having a small, healthy breakfast, some smoothies for lunch and protein and veg for dinner.

The 5:2 diet book (the fast diet) says that, for weight loss (without the fasting benefits, of course) even their approach comes down to calories in and calories out! I don't think it's that simple when it comes to personal metabolism, which is why fasting works for Mariav when a normal, day-in, day-out diet doesn't.

I would like to try the diet again as it felt good to exercise self-control and give my body a rest a couple of times a week. I'm forty-seven, 5ft2 and 8st6 (118lbs). This is quite heavy for me as I have a petite frame as well as being short.

Thanks to all for posting. I have found this thread very interesting.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:24 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) StriVectin Wrinkle Recode™ Moisture Rich Barrier Cream (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |