Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

What do fillers feel like?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Eye Candy
5% products discount

Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:36 pm      Reply with quote
I'm 36 and soon I want get some fillers. Ok a lot of fillers. Depending on what the derm recommends. Though I'd like to get enough to lift up my cheeks and flatten my nls and under my eyes, and maybe even some in my lips.

Though I've been wondering if people who have a lot of filler in their faces, does it feel like anything at all? Are you aware it's there and does it feel odd in anyway?

I'm also wondering if maybe stem cell enhanced fat transfer is any better. Actually sounds worse to me, though I've seen some impressive results with getting rid of dark circles from a thin fat layer added to cover up the veins.

Also, as a bonus question Very Happy, if you get a bunch of fillers are you supposed to stay away from facial devices like dermarollers, LEDs, microcurrent etc? Are those counterproductive?
CindiLou
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:49 am      Reply with quote
I had filler in my cheeks - once. I didn't like the foreign feeling of having strange lumps in my cheeks. And it hurt far more than i expected. Now i'm sure everyone else will tell you it doesn't hurt much but i'm telling you it hurt that much that i haven't been back for more (and if anyone needs filler in their face, it's me). Sad Too much pain, too little result & it's very expensive.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:14 am      Reply with quote
I don't use the Baby Q on my filler until 2-3 weeks after to let it "take".
It hurt a little during the injection in the nasolabial, but I don't do the lips which supposedly does hurt more.
After the initial injection there is no pain or discomfort for me and I don't even notice that the filler is there. I have never had more than 1 syringe at a time though.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
If done correctly, fillers should not feel lumpy. I had a significant amount of filler injected over 3 sessions, enough that it was considered a liquid facelift. It doesn't really feel like anything--I only noticed it when I washed my face and felt fullness in areas that used to be hollow. I had it injected in the tear trough extending out towards upper cheek, nasolabial folds and marionette lines. I later had a small amount in my lips and didn't really feel anything except when I rubbed my lips together after applying lipstick. Again, just more fullness I wasn't accustomed to.

I go to a plastic surgeon to have it injected--not a Medspa. I don't even allow this surgeons nurses to inject. The surgeon administers a dental block and injects most of the filler through the mouth. The procedure is virtually painless this way. I have had it injected topically without the block and it is painful but tolerable and not severe enough that it would prevent me from going back.

5% products discount

Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:06 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies. That's exactly what I am concerned about it feeling like, like a foreign heavy substance.

I've read so many of people's bad experiences with them and bruising or lumps and such that I'm pretty apprehensive about it. Especially in the eye area and that bruising.

It looks like it deffinetely is about the person doing it and doing it correctly, just so scary to not know if you choose the right person.

I don't really need a lot of volume in my cheeks yet, more just a lifting effect to tighten it all and add deffinition to my cheekbones again. Maybe some other tightening procedure would be enough? I have never had very full round cheeks in my early 20's, only very high cheekbones and more of a defined lifted look.

Kristy, what brand filler did you get?
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:18 am      Reply with quote
Perhaps look into ultherapy. Anything depends on the skill of the surgeon. Note that I said surgeon (and I'm not talking about foot surgeon)!

I had filler in my tear troughs done by a top oculoplastic surgeon. It was great. The next year I wanted a top up and he didn't massage it in like he did previously (he'd boasted it was his secret for great results), but told me to. Shock I was terrified that I would do it wrong. One eye ended up lumpy and now I have to wait for the filler to totally disappear before having another oculoplastic surgeon inject again because I fear it being lumpy because of the current lumpy base.

Just because a doc has been on TV, doesn't mean he will be good or treat you like a movie star.
Penta
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:27 am      Reply with quote
How intense is the pain when you get fillers in your lips?
Eye Candy
5% products discount

Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:04 pm      Reply with quote
Softskin,

That's exactly what scares me about choosing the right person. I'll likely go with a good plastic surgeon, though like in your case even they could mess things up. Some of the negative review I've read were from people who had their work done from a plastic surgeon.

I guess the best I could do is try to find ones with reviews and before/after photos to compare, and then ask them a hundred questions in my consultation and just hope for the best.

I would never do any kind of ultrasound therapy on my face, as the feedback and evidence I've seen of it damaging people's natural fat is too great. More of a long term damage.

I'd rather try Microcurrent for tightening. Not sure if it could be combined with fillers or if it's a one or the other thing.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:37 pm      Reply with quote
Penta wrote:

Pretty intense, so my injector will only do lips after doing a dental block. She says she has seen people literally fly out of her chair in pain. But once the dental block kicks in, you really can't feel anything.

20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:00 pm      Reply with quote
I have found that my fillers feel just like regular tissue, the only weird thing is that sometimes if I am pressing on that part of my face while applying makeup - a dent will appear there, but I can press it out and even out the area - like..a gel or something Rolling Eyes
a little weird...but I can personally attest that they have the permanent side effect of helping to rebuild collagen in the area. ...

BFG
Eye Candy
5% products discount

Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:44 pm      Reply with quote
Wow, a gel in the face. So your face doesn't feel anything, though when you press on it the flesh there feels different than the surrounding skin to your hand? That's not good news for me cause I'm always resting my face my hands or touching my face. Bad habit anyways, I'll have to learn to control that. Hopefully though it won't feel like anything or be noticeable when my boyfriend touches my face or kisses me if I have it in my lips? Weird!

Mostly I just need my eyes and nls and that alone would take 10yrs off my apperance. Anything else would only be extra.

Would a qualified derm be an ok selection to do it? Or do plastic surgeons generally do a better job with fillers than derms?
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:58 pm      Reply with quote
I don't notice any particular feel to my fillers. The injected area is a little hard from swelling for a day or two, but then it just feels like regular skin. Since you've never had filler before you might want to just start with one area to make sure you like the look (most really like the look). I have super delicate skin so I tend to bruise from the injections and need to allow for a few days of downtime, but it is so worth it.
Eye Candy
5% products discount

Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:38 am      Reply with quote
Thanks Panda1, that's a good idea. That'll also tell me if the Dr. did a good job before I let them touch all of my face!

Softskin, I looked further into that ultherapy and it looks like it's one of the few ones that doesn't effect the deeper fat layers, only the collegen layers so it should be safe.

Can't wait to get all of this done now! Wish I had the money to get it all done right now! Very Happy
Moon
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:28 am      Reply with quote
Quote:

Pretty darn bad. I was crying and yelping!
Eye Candy
5% products discount

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:03 am      Reply with quote
Moon wrote:
Quote:

Pretty darn bad. I was crying and yelping!

Even with Novocain? Shock
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:27 am      Reply with quote
The lips do hurt - but I do mine without any numbing at all! It doesn't need to be done very frequently , and totally worth the pain. But if you go to a doc, just ask for a block, and then ask him to go slowly (this helps and is known to cause less bruising).

If you are worried about bruising, take arnica for 3 days before the procedure (instructions will be on vial) and stop taking any vitamin C, E or fish oils for a few days as well.

Something which is not often mentioned on this topic is that hyalauronic acid fillers actually stimulate fibroblast formation, and some people over time, require less and less of the product. HA is a substance that is naturally produced by our bodies, and it is found in much higher quantities in the skin of younger individuals.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:46 pm      Reply with quote
I had my first fillers injected in five years ago. Since then, I have only needed minor touch ups...never the original amount and the area has never gone back to its previous state, so I consider fillers to be somewhere between semi-permanent and permanent.

BFG
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:07 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
I had my first fillers injected in five years ago. Since then, I have only needed minor touch ups...never the original amount and the area has never gone back to its previous state, so I consider fillers to be somewhere between semi-permanent and permanent.

BFG

Which fillers did you get BFG? I got juvederm like 3.5/4 years ago, it lasted quite a while but I think I am back to where I was before...
lipglossdoll
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:50 pm      Reply with quote
I have had Restylane twice to nasolabial area. The restylane hurt to get injected quite a bit. You can feel it under the skin though, I am used to it. (when you touch your face).

I had Juvederm XL to cheek area in March. It barely hurt at all! (compared to restylane). For a few days after the juvederm I felt I could feel it, but now nothing at all.

I think I will get Juvederm next time to nasolabial area instead of Restylane.

I am very happy with the results though!

Very Happy
Eye Candy
5% products discount

Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:51 pm      Reply with quote
I thought only the radiesse and sculptra were proven to be stimulatary?

What I don't understand is why my lips change so frequently in volume. Often I feel like I don't need any help with my lips cause they look full and proportionate to my face. Then other times throughout the same day they shrink and look too thin again. Is it just retaining water sometimes?
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:53 am      Reply with quote
Interesting about the lips feeling plumper sometimes. The HA capsules that people take internally help bind to water to make the lips feel plumper when taken in larger doses. CareKate did a whole thread on this a few years ago.
I prefer the juvaderm to restylane by far. Less "lumpy", smoother and more natural. I tend to get little bumps at the injection site with restylane but not with juvaderm. Plus it lasts longer, binds better, less "grey shadow" and I don't feel it at all unless I am touching the area.

10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:49 am      Reply with quote
When I got cheek filler - juvederm - the only time I was aware of it apart from when I touched my cheek was when lying in bed on my side for the first few months - my cheek felt a little heavier even though I hadn't had a large amount and the result was subtle.

It wasn't unpleasant and I probably got used to it after that because it's still there 9 months later (although some has obviously been re-absorbed) and I don't feel it anymore.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:00 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |