Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Obagi Regimen
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Yes Yes

Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:36 am      Reply with quote
Hello..

I am a 37 year old male and I have been battling acne since my teens. Last summer, my skin got considerably worse. Cystic acne (never had it before) and also, it seems as if every pimple leaves a dark red mark now, even after it's gone. Are those considered scars?

I have been using Tretinoin Cream for a few months and while it seems to help with reducing the breakouts, it doesn't do much for the dark red spots that stay.

Based on what I have read, I ordered Obagi Clear and Blender combo. I am curious if I should start applying both of them or start off with Blender only and introduce Clear later.

I know Blender should be mixed with Tretinoin in the PM and Clear is used by itself in the AM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yes Yes

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:25 am      Reply with quote
Anyone?

Also, am I not supposed to use any moisturizer with Blender? I have been using one with Tretinoin so far. I'd wait about 30 minutes in between..

Thank you.
tefla
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:07 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Yes Yes and Welcome!

I've been using Obagi NuDerm for dark pigmentation for a number of years doing both the intensive and then the maintenance regimes. Clear can be used alone but Blender should be used only with Retin A as it helps it to penetrate the skin.

There are lots of threads here on Obagi and the protocol, which may help answer some of your questions.

Obagi works well for pigmentation in my experience but I'm not sure about how successful it is for acne scars.

Perhaps someone with experience of using it for red marks can comment.

Generally, if you're on the intensive regime with Clear, Blender and Retin A, you should try to avoid using moisturiser as it interferes with the action of these.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Yes Yes

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:41 am      Reply with quote
Thank you very much. You are totally being helpful.

I understand that Blender should be combined with Tretinoin and Clear can be used alone. I was curious if I should start both products at the same time.

I use Tretinoin every other day now. I'll mix Blender with Tretinoin in the evening. But, should I wait a few weeks before starting Clear? Or should I start in at the same time? Do you think it would be better to use Clear on the days (in the AM) I am not using Tretinoin? Or should I use Clear every day?

Also, can you tll me what is the difference between the intensive and the maintenance regime?

Thanks again! I'm very new to all of this..
tefla
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:43 am      Reply with quote
Hi again

The intensive programme is where you use all the products - Clear, Exfoderm (although some people leave this out because it causes them a lot of redness and irritation), Blender and Retin A. The normal routine is Clear used in the morning followed by Exfoderm and Clear again in the evening followed by Blender mixed with Retin A.

Most people wanting to improve dark pigmentation follow this for 12- 18 weeks depending on their
skin's needs.

Once you have achieved your skincare goal, you go onto a maintenance programme, which maintains your results. This involves using Clear perhaps a couple of times a week and Blender and Retin A two or three times a week. How often is dictated by using the minimum you can to keep your results going and it's different for everyone. There are lots of threads here on the maintenance phase and whether it's even advisable to keep using hydroquinone long term. Some people come off it because of some studies that show it loses its effectiveness after 3 or 4 months or studies linking it to an increased cancer risk. Obviously, everyone needs to do the research and make up their own minds.

Again, I must repeat that I cannot comment on the effectiveness of these products for acne scars.

Finally, as to whether you should use the intensive regime or wait and introduce the Clear later, it's a matter of testing it out on your skin.

Sorry, lots of info!
Yes Yes

Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:56 am      Reply with quote
Hi tefla

Not a lot of info at all. What you wrote is perfect! It makes sense that everyone's skin reacts differently and some experimenting is needed.

But your guidelines are awesome! Exactly what I needed. I have searched the forum, but there are hundreds of posts and sometimes it feels a little overwhelming (especially for a guy who doesn't have any experience with these products).

Would you mind telling me if you use any toner? I have been using SkinCeutical Equalizing Toner after I wash my face with either Rose Hips Black Soap or Moisturizing Facial Wash by Simple (I switch back and forth between these two).

Thank you so much for your help!
tefla
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:50 am      Reply with quote
Hi

I use the Obagi toner because it adjusts the PH of the skin back to normal after cleansing for better absorption of the products. I'm sure though there are other toners (and possibly the one you're using already) that do the same job.

I recall reading on this forum in the past that a witch hazel toner does this as well.
Yes Yes

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:43 am      Reply with quote
Great, I'll look up that toner.

Can you please tell me how long you wait after applying Clear before you put on sunblock?

And in the pm, how long between Clear and Blender/Tretinoin?

Thanks a lot!
tefla
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:02 pm      Reply with quote
Hi

I don't really wait at all. After Clear, I put on Exfoderm and then sunscreen immediately because I'm always in a rush in the morning!

The main thing with Clear and Blender is that you apply the recommended amounts of each and really rub them in.

In the evening, I put on Clear and then wait about 20 minutes before mixing Blender and Retin A and applying them. I wait because irritation is more likely if Retin A is used on skin that's not completely dry.
Yes Yes

Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:33 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you tefla, you have been such a huge help!
tefla
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:01 pm      Reply with quote
I'm glad to help. I certainly found the info on this forum hugely useful so I personally felt confident enough to do Obagi myself without the supervision of a doctor or dermatologist.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:02 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |