Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)
Why Is Maybelline's Great Lash Mascara So Popular?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:15 am      Reply with quote
On several places, I've read a lot about Maybelline's great lash mascara. It seems like it's one of the most popular mascaras out there.

I used to use it but could never understand its popularity. The results weren't dramatically different from other mascaras.

Why do you suppose that so many women like it? Is it because it's one of the older brands?
GirlieGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:49 am      Reply with quote
IMO its not. It just gets alot of advertising and I think makeup artists may use it alot because its cheap to keep buying/get free.
AnnieR
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:55 am      Reply with quote
I used it for years until I discovered Mirenesse. Now that's all I use.
Great Lash always smeared and gave me raccoon eyes, even the waterproof.

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:07 am      Reply with quote
I think its because its older than any of us, and they got onto the marketing thing early, i.e. paying off mags. There weren't a thousand and one brands way back when, or magazines, or blogs, etc.
Then everyone just echoed what they read, because its cheap, and people like "old standards" and want to be able to say things with certainty.

In my opinion, most mascaras work great the first couple times you use them before they start drying out. Then its only the better ones that keep up. This one you can replace over and over for that first time experience. Makeup artists probably also got freebies of this... a constant supply of fresh tubes might explain their success with it.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:23 am      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
I think its because its older than any of us, and they got onto the marketing thing early, i.e. paying off mags. There weren't a thousand and one brands way back when, or magazines, or blogs, etc.

I was thinking this same thing.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:34 pm      Reply with quote
Older than dirt and a sentimental favorite. (or free Laughing )

15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:12 pm      Reply with quote
I hate it! Maybeline makes some pretty good drug store mascaras, but that one actually has the worst formula as far as I'm concerned. Seriously if you buy *any* *other* mascara from them it's better. It just has the most hype.
cali1979
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:30 pm      Reply with quote
I think that it's popular because of the cheap price and good advertising.
Mariav
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:54 am      Reply with quote
Worst mascara I ever used! Raccoon eyes, big time, clumpy - yuk... I know L'Oreal's original Voluminous is a top rates fave and that one isn't great for me either.

Can't believe that 3 (or four?) years later I still love, and have not found one that I like better, Cover Girl's Lash Blast in the orange tube. Also, love CG's Green Tube Lash Blast for bottom and hard to get lashes....

Cool

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
I used to buy it because it was cheap. Now I like Maybelline's Lash Discovery waterproof. I like the skinny brush with small bristles because those huge brushes so popular now got mascara on my eyelids and brow bones because I have deep set eyes. Any lashes sticking together are combed out with my retractable gold toothed lash comb that was worth the extra money. Don't remember the brand but the teeth are very sharp which is good for separating lashes. You just need a very steady hand to not do damage to your eye!
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:00 pm      Reply with quote
For every day I like Reviva Labs Hypoallergenic Mascara, Superlash Black ($5.18 at iherb). It is dirt cheap, does not clump like Maybelline's Great lash mascara and also does not dry out for a long time.
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:48 am      Reply with quote
this mascara was awful on me, smudged, racoon here we were, and also my eyes watered a lot when using it.

I am still on the mascara HG hunt, just got Dior iconic show waterproof mascara. Its ok but has started clumping and drying out and Ive only used it 3/4 times.

Ive also just ordered YSL waterproof one so we will see!

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:08 am      Reply with quote
Being in Canada, I pine for products only found in the US. I read & watch a lot of beauty bloggers, and one mascara which comes highly recommended (on MUA too), in spite of its low price point is Jordana Best Lash Extreme Volumizing Mascara.
Anyone here try it?

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:02 pm      Reply with quote
Lori - Jordana is a total Best Buy. Not easy to find in the US. Occasionally at a Walgreens or KMart. It's a great product.
It's amazing for the price and made in Italy (not China).

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:23 am      Reply with quote
I can only guess that the reason some like it is because it was the first and only mascara they've ever used - so any mascara is better than none at all Bad Grin

Seriously, something happened to that mascara over the years, it used to be a deal, then they cheapened it somehow...but kept in the line up....while they introduced better alternatives.

So many great ones I have found lately:

Jordana (as mentioned)
Tarte Lights, Camera, Lashes!
Chanel Le Volume
Bare Minerals Flawless Definition
Heroine from Asia - for waterproof
Rouge Bunny Rouge

BFG
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:36 am      Reply with quote
I used to use maybelline for many years. Went off and tried others and recently came back to it. Yuck, it went in the garbage...gave me serious raccoon eyes. Not sure if the formula changed or if its me. I've noticed my eyes are more watery, so have switched to Max Factor 2000 Calorie which does not give me black spots under my eyes nor does it flake off.
snowshoe
5% products discount

Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:25 am      Reply with quote
I've tried Great Lash several times, and each time I swore I'd never try it again, yet I did...I know better now and stopped. It clumped and smudged more than anything.

I've found far better results with other drugstore brands such as Cover Girl's Lash Blast series.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:54 am      Reply with quote
I like Yves St Laurent and Makeup For Ever mascara.

But used to buy elizabeth arden mascara before.
I get so many travel size mascara I pretty much havent bought any in years and will never run out.

I really want to try Mavala switzerland mascara next, but do not use it every day- so haven't picked it up yet.

Maybeline has some nice blush and foundation for me, but is very expensive here.
Was just looking at the Bouncy Blushes and they were $16 at the store??

Cover Girl is the worst for me all their foundation is too pink on me and looks very bad!
majorb
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:13 am      Reply with quote
LoriA wrote:
In my opinion, most mascaras work great the first couple times you use them before they start drying out.

A very good point, Lori. This has been my experience also.

I could never see what is supposed to be so great about Great Lash. On the other hand, I am really loving Chanel Le Volume - but, again, it performs better for the first few times of use.
gretchen
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:05 pm      Reply with quote
Every few years I buy a tube of the blue mascara:
http://www.drugstore.com/maybelline-great-lash-washable-mascara-royal-blue/qxp34870
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:19 pm      Reply with quote
Here Ya'all go: My best Auntie - 78 gave me her beautiful brand new *used once* tube of Tarte mascara that she spent $20 for because she likes the Maybelline better.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:33 pm      Reply with quote
This is the one of the worst mascara that I've tried. Will never buy again. I am always on a look-out for mascara... Never really stick to one yet. Always keep on changing mascara...

VeronicaM wrote:
On several places, I've read a lot about Maybelline's great lash mascara. It seems like it's one of the most popular mascaras out there.

I used to use it but could never understand its popularity. The results weren't dramatically different from other mascaras.

Why do you suppose that so many women like it? Is it because it's one of the older brands?
sab
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:56 am      Reply with quote
Laughing
Interesting thread....

I think i remember the ad more than the mascara itself.

Popular doesn't mean good. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
jade-1234
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
I've tried this type of mascara and I am not impressed at all. I think it is popular because it is one of the cheapest in the market? We change mascara every so often. I for one, have 3 mascara that I am simultaneously using. I never stick to 1 type of mascara as there are always lots of choices out there to try. Good luck! Smile
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:40 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |