Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
Retin-A 1% or 0.5%?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Vancouvergirl80

Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:41 pm      Reply with quote
I've been using Dermadoctor Poetry In Lotion (1% retinol)for the last two months and my skin looks great! I did get all the peeling, red patches and burning at the beginning but i just kept at it, and it was totally worth it. I find now that it's not really doing anything anymore so i was thinking of getting a prescription strength. I assume the dermadoctor 1% retinol has other additives in it making it much gentler on the skin where as the prescription formulas would be a harder in the skin. Is this true? Also I'm not sure if the prescribed 1% will be too hard on my skin and maybe i should try a 0.5%? Does anybody know if you can get prescriptions in that strength? thanks in advance! Smile
mismis
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:48 pm      Reply with quote
You can get Rx in that strength in Canada; just ask your doc. At first use just once every 3 day, when you have no reaction, every 2 days, when you have no reaction, then every day. Don't try to hurry this process along. When you get no reaction it doesn't mean it isn't working, just that you skin has adjusted. These are the directions given me by my doctor when I started Rx vitamin A.
Vancouvergirl80

Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks mismis. Since i'm already using the 1% by dermadoctor, do you think i should get the Rx at 1% or do you think that might be too harsh?
LauraLizzie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:01 pm      Reply with quote
I would do the .5%.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
I have never gone above .5, and the nurse at my PS office says their is some evidence that a higher dose is not necessarily more effective.

You can always do it on alternate days should it be too strong. Right now I use .025.
butterflyrainbow
10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
As a long term Retin-A user, I would suggest starting low. The only reason to use the 1% is if you have acne. For anti aging even .25% is fine. Keep in mind Retin-A is much stronger than Retinol, so looking at the same percentage for each product can be misleading.
snowshoe
5% products discount

Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:30 am      Reply with quote
I also agree about going low and slow. You'll have less skin irritation if you start low and fleet up (and you may not even need to go to the highest strength). I've found minimal difference in the results I see with .025 and .05, but .025 doesn't fry my face so I stick with that.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:48 am      Reply with quote
I was just at my Derm's office for a refill RX for Retin-A and I asked him about moving up from a 0.5% to a 1% as I have been using Retin-A at 0.5% for at least 10 years and he said 1% isn't necessarily more effective and gave me an RX for another year at 0.5%. I am over 55 years of age.
l1982222
5% products discount

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:17 am      Reply with quote
0.5 is ok.
Vancouvergirl80

Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:23 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for all the advice! I think I'm going try 0.5%. I definitely stated slow when I stared using the 1%ret dermadoctor. I assume using plain rx retinol is going to be stronger so I'll start slow again. At the moment I use the dermadoctor every night and CE ferulic during the day.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:05 am      Reply with quote
Just because you are not getting peeling, don't be fooled into thinking its not doing anything. The peeling happens at different times for different people. I've gone through several years without peeling, and then its come on again all of a sudden and friends have had similar experiences.

0.5% is a good enough strength to use. I don't necessarily agree that you should only go up to 0.1% if you have acne, but hey different strokes for different folks. I do know when my derm got me to use 0.1% I started out with microgel which is a time released delivery method and that worked really well for me, and I didn't get awkward side effects that I did with the plain old gel.

With Retin, all the studies indicate that it has to be used consistently for up to a year before you start getting the amazing results, and thats worth bearing in mind. Just search pubmed for them, and you'll find them in their hundreds. N other topical has the studies behind it that Retin A does (not even CPs!).
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:17 am      Reply with quote
As I understand there's absolutely no need to go up in strength when it comes to Retin-A. People just assume, as with everything, that more is better.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
System
Automatic Message
Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:33 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |