Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Microcurrent study
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
MaryClaire
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:58 am      Reply with quote
Would be interested in what others think of this study.

http://www.lifesciencesite.com/lsj/life0903/166_10025clife0903_1184_1189.pdf
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:16 am      Reply with quote
very interesting , thanks for that.

It kind of fits with what I am seeing on my forehead too, improvements in 11s and horizontal lines, but none yet with the dreaded NLS( I have one fold and one line) Lopsided as ever and side sleeping!

10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:41 am      Reply with quote
This is interesting, thankyou. I found it really concerning that it made such out of touch statements as: booster ingredients such as:
vitamin A, hydroxy acid, α-lipoic acid, Q-10 coenzyme, cu peptides, growth factors, Soy Isoflavones, Tea extract, vitamin C,booster ingredients such as vitamin A, hydroxy acid, α-lipoic acid, Q-10 coenzyme, cu peptides, growth factors, Soy Isoflavones, Tea extract, vitamin C, However the effectiveness of the creams has not been proved yet.

When there are many studies showing the effectiveness of these very topicals. There has been a lot of research into the action of retin A over decades on the skin, and vitamin c has some good studies, as does green tea as an antioxidant.

Also of note, none of the volunteers were over 45, which is problematic, as most people interested in the treatment are this age and older. It is not being pushed here as a treatment for scars, acne and skin lightening, as they are saying it works for in this study. They certainly don't claim facelift results, and it appears to be as ineffective at lifting the lower face (which is what microcurrent is being pushed for in salons here and by device manufacturers).

I believe it can freshen the complexion, and have healthy effects in the skin, but its capacities for toning and tightening the face have been way overstated. I think the ultrasound technology is just as exciting as far as producing similar results or better for the lower face, and a much better device as far as ease of use for great forehead results, we already have in the safetox which uses a very similar technology called tens.

I think it's all well and good include such modalities in our arsenal of home anti aging devices, but I do take exception to people building up unrealistic expectations in people in order to sell over priced products. Encouraging people to pinch and sweep away for months of their lives with the promise of lifting their lower faces with facelift like results ai truly believe to not be founded. Photographs can be difficult to assess. I truly believe that the stimulation of constant massage and tissue stimulation will move out some of the stagnant fluid sitting in some people's jowls and improve skin condition enough to give improvement to some people. Touching your face is good, so if it means you have to don an expensive pair of gloves, so be it.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
Hi MaryClaire and Sylvia - If used in the scheme of other studies I'd say it's a piece of the bigger puzzle of the value of microcurrent.

The study was quite small and limited in scope: in participants as well as in age. It sounded like the crux was about the effect on wrinkling but also looked at other benefits. I'd say you need to have a larger study group: some using a placebo microcurrent and others the real deal - ...etc etc.

I've had my microcurrent device (Pico) for hmmm - a month I'd say. I'm not a wrinkled person and didn't get it for that kind of help though I think it has likely helped the 11's and undereye area. My thing was lift and it has worked *for me* that way - although the erase motions of the Pico tutorial seemed to have smoothed undereye skin a lot..noticeably! ...To give credit where it's due: that could be from the combo of Pico and Tria laser. I started using them within about a month of each other. In fact I'd say the Tria has done more for any level of wrinkling I have than the Pico. (I was using the Tria for a good month before thePico showed at my door).

Thanks for sharing the study MaryClaire.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:58 am      Reply with quote
Thank you for sharing this document.
I look forward to reading it soon.

BFG
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:05 am      Reply with quote
Hi guys- I've been searching for the 2 studies mentioned below by Emil Y. Chi, PHD, University of Washington. One was done in 1999 and the other
2003. If anyone has a link that they can post or PM me I would appreciate it. Thanks

Emil Y. Chi, PhD, director of the University of Washington’s department of pathology, performed clinical studies using micro-current equipment. He notes, “The fact that this technology works in harmony with the body is evident. Examination of skin tissue treated with micro-current showed a 45% increase in the number of elastin fibres in the dermis, and the length of the fibres on average doubled. The collagen thickness in connective tissue increased 10%, and the number of blood vessels increased by 35%. The application of micro-current to skin and tissue produced a firmer and tighter feeling on the skin surface.” Many of the studies detailing the massive increase in speed regarding wound healing refer to the ATP as one of the attributing factors. The other attributing factor is an increase in blood circulation. Blood circulation has everything to do with the function, condition, colour and overall health of the skin, as well as underlying tissue. Chi’s 2003 study performed at the University of Washington further notes a 35% increase in blood circulation in tissue treated with micro-current. In terms of product penetration, micro-current offers specific iontophoresis that allows superior penetration of products into the skin. The idea that electrical current emits from one probe and returns to the other allows specific focus of product penetration, versus traditional methods that send incredibly high electrical currents unnecessarily through out the body to achieve a simple task. Profound results can be achieved by products through iontophoresis.
Lymphatic drainage is a very over looked treatment in esthetics, although it has been gaining momentum in recent years. Clinical studies performed using micro-current at Hong Kong’s Tuen Muen Hospital in 1988 indicated that lymphatic drainage was increased by 28% on post-cancer patients suffering from lymphodema.
Chi’s 1999 study also proved that the redness, irritation and inflammation of surgically traumatised tissue could be decreased significantly when treated with micro-current. Related to this, the build up of hardened collagen that makes up scar tissue was noted to be three to five times less in tissue treated without micro-current. Further studies also indicated an amazing dispersion of existing scar tissue when treated with micro-current. This indicated that in the realm of plastic surgery, you can see the obvious place for micro-current technology. By administering a series of treatments before surgery, muscle and tissue condition is maximised, inclusive of an excessive storage of ATP.

The information above is from Professional Beauty September 2004 by David Suzuki. It tried to do a link but could not get it to work.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:13 am      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
The information above is from Professional Beauty September 2004 by David Suzuki. It tried to do a link but could not get it to work.

This link should work: http://niasol.ca/images/profbeauty_01.pdf
leela7
5% products discount

Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:23 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for posting those articles! Very informative. Two things that I find interesting are: 1) the synergistic impact of exfoliation (microdermabrasian) on Microcurrent treatment for antiageing and 2) the effectiveness of microcurrent in product penetration

I don't know if these two issues have been specifically discussed in terms of which products people have been trying for exfoliation and "penetration" with their Picos but, would like to hear about what's been tried and seems effective.
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:40 pm      Reply with quote
havana8 wrote:
CookieD wrote:

This link should work: http://niasol.ca/images/profbeauty_01.pdf

Thanks Havana. A member of EDS sent me the link to Dr. Chi published articles. I'll look through it and see what I can find. Thanks

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:19 pm      Reply with quote
leela7 wrote:
Thanks for posting those articles! Very informative. Two things that I find interesting are: 1) the synergistic impact of exfoliation (microdermabrasian) on Microcurrent treatment for antiageing and 2) the effectiveness of microcurrent in product penetration

I don't know if these two issues have been specifically discussed in terms of which products people have been trying for exfoliation and "penetration" with their Picos but, would like to hear about what's been tried and seems effective.

leela - as far as product penetration I think that's geared more toward the probe type of microcurrent vs the gloves.
Please someone correct me if they know different.

A ultrasound or galvanic device will help with penetration also. I also use my little Nuface for the purpose of product penetration.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:45 am      Reply with quote
Thank you again for posting the link, it was informative.

I guess unsurprisingly, when questioned, many derms and other skin professionals claim microcurrent is worthless in skin improvement and the sellers indicate it is wonderful. Then, you have anecdotal reports of successful from hopeful users...hard to know how to decipher this.

If anyone comes up with further studies, particularly on specific devices, please let us know! THANKS< BFG
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:01 am      Reply with quote
There are definitely more scientific studies on the benefits of microcurrent for muscle injuries - just not much of any regarding skin rejuvenation (except from the sellers).

What interests me is the sudden popularity of mc around here. It is practically one of the oldest treatments around and hasn't exactly had anyone raving about it in the past. The Nuface and Slendertone have been largely greeted by very iffy reviews.

Now, all of a sudden, it's like it's the greatest thing on earth.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:27 am      Reply with quote
yes, I heard of it quite awhile ago, but linked only to product penetration.

Maybe there are new devices or new generations of old devices making new promises?

Anyone have an idea?

BFG
bellabambiiina
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:00 pm      Reply with quote
MaryClaire wrote:
Would be interested in what others think of this study.

http://www.lifesciencesite.com/lsj/life0903/166_10025clife0903_1184_1189.pdf

I'm noticing this article is very poorly written grammatically. I am not sure I could take a scientific journal that publishes something like this very seriously. Even if the article was originally written in another language, they should have decent translators.
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:33 pm      Reply with quote
Hi, Everyone, I may be a natural worrier, but I am concerned about potential negative effects of mc usage on the body/face with long term use. You know how there has been press in recent years about a link between cell phone usage and brain cancer. I've heard it's nonsense and I've heard there really is a connection. ???
I bought a mc machine, not Pico, and I'm beginning to get nervous about it. As I said, I am one who worries. What are your thought? Thank you!

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:25 pm      Reply with quote
Mars wrote:
Hi, Everyone, I may be a natural worrier, but I am concerned about potential negative effects of mc usage on the body/face with long term use. You know how there has been press in recent years about a link between cell phone usage and brain cancer. I've heard it's nonsense and I've heard there really is a connection. ???
I bought a mc machine, not Pico, and I'm beginning to get nervous about it. As I said, I am one who worries. What are your thought? Thank you!

MIcrocurrent has been around for a long time and I've never heard of it being associated with brain cancer. But if you're a worrier, don't use it. Because one thing is for sure, stress is the biggest killer.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
Mars wrote:

Mars, there is a great deal of evidence linking cell phone use to cancer. The reason for this is EMF's are high frequency and are considered radioactive or "dirty electricity". The side effects of EMF's in our environment can run the gamut from hormonal disturbances to chronic fatigue and yes even cancer. Microcurrent is not considered an EMF. In fact, it is a treatment that works with the body's energy to improve health, much like, acunpuncture,bodywork, breath therapy,and yoga. See the attached article from Mercola.com - its very interesting. Best, Aprile

http://products.mercola.com/klinghardt-dvd/
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:39 pm      Reply with quote
I just wanted to point out that not all mc are created equal and not all of them are beneficial to one's health. The one I am aware of that had been tested and proved to be beneficial is Arasys.

Also, anywhere there is electrical current there is also EMF, so for people concerned about health issues and believing in energy medicine there are various remediations to resolve that. Cell Phones danger is not just in exposure to EMF but also to certain frequency waves (used by it to communicate to cell tower), which are considered very dangerous to one' health by many naturopatic practitioners while the scientific community seems to be divided.

Similar logic applies to microwaves (I chose not to have one despite the convenience it offers).

Also, I have not read any safety info about using MC on a daily basis and it's long term effects on muscle fibers and elastin/collagen.

Normally for medicinal purposes the treatments need to be spaced out and be done no more then 3 per week.

So many questions...

HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:26 pm      Reply with quote
Quote:
Also, anywhere there is electrical current there is also EMF, so for people concerned about health issues and believing in energy medicine there are various remediations to resolve that. Cell Phones danger is not just in exposure to EMF but also to certain frequency waves (used by it to communicate to cell tower), which are considered very dangerous to one' health by many naturopatic practitioners while the scientific community seems to be divided.

Yes most definitely Sigma... I believe that Mercola even has a device that can be used to cut down EMFs from cell phones. It's really scary, even digital alarm clocks, TVs and other home appliances give off EMFs.
Mars
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:18 am      Reply with quote
THANK YOU, for your comments and information! I'm using my machine everyday. I use it on a fairly high level that causes visible twitching. I am seeing visible improvement in a lifting of the outer part of my eyebrows. Also, I'm seeing a little lift of my upper cheek area. These improvements are minor, but obvious to me. I've been using my machine about a month now.
I'm one who typically thinks well, if a little is good, then a lot must be great. That's why I use it on a level so I can see the muscles twitch. Of course, I KNOW this isn't always the smartest way. It's just my nature, but I realize I need to reel that in.
Another reason I bought the machine is because I have rheumatoid arthritis...my hands are getting bad...swollen knuckles and pain. Anyway, I've read mc could be beneficial for people who have arthritis.
Maybe I need to use my mc on a lower level and not everyday. However, when I see the lift it's giving me on my face, it's hard not to want to use it.
My goodness, I am long-winded this morning. Thanks again!

Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:09 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |