Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)
What hair styling products do you use?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
wishful skin
5% products discount

Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:28 pm      Reply with quote
I always see women on tv with soft, bouncy, super shiney hair and wonder what their secret is. I've never used very many styling products, but the ones I've tried either leave my hair greasy and weighed down or crusty and crunchy. Like recently I bought some leave in conditioner and it makes my hair so crusty I can't even get my brush through it. Some sprays I've tried seem to make little difference, and a lot of products smell like I'm buying a bottle of perfume. I can't seem to find any products that work well, so I rarely ever buy any, but I would love to have a more styled look to my hair. Putting oil on my hair leaves a very flat, unwashed look to it, so I don't get how people say they use it on their hair unless they're going to wash it immediately after.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:48 am      Reply with quote
I used to use a specific mousse from Redken but they discontinued it. Sometime I'll buy garnier fructis but only if I have a coupon or there is a sale. Their stuff is pretty good for a cheapy brand, but most of it is geared towards people with short hair and some of the fragrances are strange. Their smoothing milk is good if you have longer hair.

I usually just use a DIY sillicone spray. My hair is very thick and coarse and it needs to be tamed down, lol. I used to use camelina oil thinned out with some of lotioncrafter's cyclomethicone but the oil got too expensive. Fractionated coconut oil made my hair crispy and dry so I never used it again either.
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:44 am      Reply with quote
Try using much less of whatever product you're experimenting with. I often mix mine to get the effect I'm after.

These days I've been making my own flax seed gel. Works great.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:13 am      Reply with quote
Do you have thick or thin hair? Curly or straight? Do you have the right cut for your type of hair? That is your starting point.
Yubs
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:10 am      Reply with quote
Wishful, I use shampoo and conditioner from Louise Marie Longhairs
www.longhairs.com

I don't know what's in them but my hair seems to like them more than anything I've ever used. If you use them like she says, they do work to get your hair in good shape.

Only problem with using them like she says is that it's different from the way we normally wash our hair, and it can seem a little ritualized at first. But you get over that.

Admittedly I haven't used any of her styling products, but really like the shampoo and a couple of her conditioners. I like her medium-firm boar bristly brush, as well.
wishful skin
5% products discount

Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
My hair is on the thick side, straight, and I've been growing it long. I guess my main problem is knots in my hair, I see other women with long hair and they manage to keep it very straightt and in place, but mine always gets tangled.

It's also hard to find anything with a very light frangrance or none at all, because it usually gives me a headache. I've heard of the flax gel before but never tried it, I didn't think it would work but maybe I'll give it a try.

I already use sulfate-free shampoos, but that site has some useful information.

I've never been very good at styling hair so I had it short for a few years and been growing it out the last couple years, its quite long now but I feel like I don't know what to do with it.
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:01 pm      Reply with quote

SOMA Spray Leave-in Conditioner is lightweight, not overly smelly and just detangles hair, adds keratin for strength and gives it shine. No silicones. Doesnt make it stringy or greasy looking. Been using it forever. U only need a spritz so a bottle lasts a long time.

http://mysomahair.com/products.jsp

Its all in the brush you use for blowdrying too. I like a paddle brush for finishing thick hair after blowing dry with a huge roundbrush.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:35 am      Reply with quote
thanks fawnie, I have been looking for cone free products!

BFG
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:41 pm      Reply with quote
Soma to datangle, then I oil. When my hair was damaged it made it greasy, now it makes it shiny and bouncy.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:31 pm      Reply with quote
You can also try steaming your hair.

Doing so increases its moisture content, which might give it more body.
sab
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:05 am      Reply with quote
Just a thought... need to know what is your hair type, cut etc. before talking about hair styling product is suitable. The most important is the condition of your hair is healthy and nourished.

Styling products usually are wax, mud, mousse, gel etc. You should be able to get recommendation from a good hair stylist that suits you the best plus how to use them properly.
AngelaE8654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:13 am      Reply with quote
I have wavy-frizzy hair and I hate "crunchy" hair products. I use BioSilk Silk Therapy which is NOT crunchy OR greasy. My hairdresser once called it "liquid gold". Love it!!

http://www.amazon.com/Biosilk-Therapy-Serum-Packaging-Ounces/dp/B0007CXX82

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
fawnie wrote:

SOMA Spray Leave-in Conditioner is lightweight, not overly smelly and just detangles hair, adds keratin for strength and gives it shine. No silicones. Doesnt make it stringy or greasy looking. Been using it forever. U only need a spritz so a bottle lasts a long time.

http://mysomahair.com/products.jsp

Its all in the brush you use for blowdrying too. I like a paddle brush for finishing thick hair after blowing dry with a huge roundbrush.

I love Soma Spray-in too Fawnie. I use a paddle brush and my hair is bodacious thick. I was more than shocked that the Soma worked so well. I was convinced it wouldn't.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:21 pm      Reply with quote
Ava with wings wrote:
Soma to datangle, then I oil. When my hair was damaged it made it greasy, now it makes it shiny and bouncy.

What kind of oil Ava?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
I love how my hair feels right after coloring it. I use Clairol Natural Instincts. After coloring, my hair is smooth and silky and stays that way through 1-2 shampoos. I'd like to find a product that would give my hair the same smooth and silky feel every day.

Any suggestions?
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:35 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Cosmedix Surge Hyaluronic Acid Booster (30 ml / 1 floz) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |