Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

my quest for all physical sunblock is over!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:42 pm      Reply with quote
so finally I found an all physical sunblock which will not leave, even my medium toned skin, pasty white, completely invisible, its 13.75 Zno, Zn is the best sunblock, better than titanium dixoide.. it's:

Topix Replenix Sheer Physical Sunscreen Cream SPF 50

I got it from skinstore not sure if eds carries it as well:

http://www.skinstore.com/p-19301-topix-replenix-sheer-physical-sunscreen-cream-spf-50.aspx

I am sure its nano zinc, but i dont care about nano anymore, I have read something good stuff, that it does not penetrate the skin...
Its $29 for 2 oz, so good for face n neck, its ll be quite expensive for all over though but it also comes in a spray form, much cheaper, I have not tried the spray form yet...

Edited to add: I just noticed it says micronized ZnO on skinstore's page, so it's not nano...
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:35 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Daler- can you tell me about the texture of this sunscreen and maybe compare it to some others that you have tried. Does it make your hair stick to your neck or face after you put it on? Did you ever try EltaMD physical? That is my latest favorite. Just wondering how it compares. Thanks

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:35 pm      Reply with quote
Hi Cookie, I have not tried EltaMD physical sunblock so cant compare with it, but...

I have tried Nia 24 100% mineral sunscreen.. i find it kinda greasy in hot/humid weather.. not in sticky way but it leaves a sheen on my face.. also leaves my face a bit white, i had to add lycopene for color.. but it was my fav till now...

I have tried Neutrogena all physical, I found it thick and whitening ( had to add lycopene for color but even then) but it spreads out easily, no flaking or anything.. i think it ll be good for body, price wise...

I tried skinceutical, physical sheer sunblock, gave me horrible rash in 2 days! left face ( cheeks) v v dry, itchy.....

I have tried several others but they weren't even worth remembering their names.... but they included, DDF organic sunblock, Dr pikart physical sunblock, pure + simple brand.....

Now , Topix Replenix Sheer Physical Sunscreen Cream SPF 50 .. it's texture is very light, however you do feel a layer applied on your face for a while, completely invisible, spreads v easily, leaves skin not greasy/oily and not dry either.. no hair sticking to neck/face.. does not flake.. n i think its pretty resistant to sweating as well...today was/is very humid here in NYC and I was out an about all day, sweating n all... and I love the fact that it is 100% invisible, I wonder how they are doing it with micro ZnO.. it's not nano...
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:42 pm      Reply with quote
I saw this on Amazon as well. Looks like it is tinted, but the description doesn't mention it. Does it have a tint to it?

http://www.amazon.com/Replenix-Antioxidant-Sunscreen-Moisturizer-SPF/dp/B008CPLG94/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1372981084&sr=8-4&keywords=Topix+sunscreen
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:44 pm      Reply with quote
ShastaGirl wrote:
I saw this on Amazon as well. Looks like it is tinted, but the description doesn't mention it. Does it have a tint to it?

http://www.amazon.com/Replenix-Antioxidant-Sunscreen-Moisturizer-SPF/dp/B008CPLG94/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1372981084&sr=8-4&keywords=Topix+sunscreen

mine is not tinted, it's sheer but I think it does come in tint.. mine is completely invisible... if u see the link in my original post, the skinstore one, that's the one i got, no tint at all... tint ll b good if one wants a makeup effect....
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:10 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
ShastaGirl wrote:

mine is not tinted, it's sheer but I think it does come in tint.. mine is completely invisible... if u see the link in my original post, the skinstore one, that's the one i got, no tint at all... tint ll b good if one wants a makeup effect....

Thanks Daler. I will order some of this when I'm done with my stash of other sunscreens.

ShastaGirl- I don't know if you what an all physical sunscreen or not but the one you linked on Amazon is a chemical one but also has zinc in it.

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:06 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for this....I am an EltaMd fan as well, but am always looking for new sunscreen options!

5% products discount

Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:56 am      Reply with quote
Some good research here and much appreciated. I've been using Sunsense anti-ageing SPF 50 invisible tint, which has a lovely feel but I think is chemical. Difficult to tell. Can you tell me if these physical ones you've recommended screen against both UVA and UVB? They don't say specifically.
Bluegentian
5% products discount

Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:44 pm      Reply with quote
Aarrghhh... Topix Replenix isn't available in UK and postage makes it too expensive to order. The Amazon Replenix is £70 here.. About 105 US dollars.. A bit much for any product .. I'll stick with Sunsense!
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:53 pm      Reply with quote
Bluegentian wrote:
Some good research here and much appreciated. I've been using Sunsense anti-ageing SPF 50 invisible tint, which has a lovely feel but I think is chemical. Difficult to tell. Can you tell me if these physical ones you've recommended screen against both UVA and UVB? They don't say specifically.

ZnO, a physical sunblocker, blocks UVA & UVB . it reflects em instead of absorbing em... TiO2, also a physical blocker, absorbs em I think, and does not fully protect from UVA, UVA protection is like 70% or so,but still is v good.. as far as I know...
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:55 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:

Thanks Daler. I will order some of this when I'm done with my stash of other sunscreens.

Hi Cookie & Bethany, I have not tried EltaMD, may be it's better but I would highly recommend replenix....
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:56 pm      Reply with quote
Bluegentian wrote:
Aarrghhh... Topix Replenix isn't available in UK and postage makes it too expensive to order. The Amazon Replenix is £70 here.. About 105 US dollars.. A bit much for any product .. I'll stick with Sunsense!

that's a lot! I only paid $24 plus shipping, was 20% off at skinstore then..

sorry for the multiple posts, was not thinking, too hot!
ShastaGirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
CookieD wrote:
daler wrote:
ShastaGirl wrote:

ShastaGirl- I don't know if you what an all physical sunscreen or not but the one you linked on Amazon is a chemical one but also has zinc in it.

Thanks for that! It looked like it was the same packaging. No chemicals for me except for the occasional foray into European sunscreens.
sigma
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:49 pm      Reply with quote
For my face I really like Pratima, Marie Veronique and now Living Libations - all organic and physical sunscreens.

5% products discount

Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:18 am      Reply with quote
Hi All. I've been doing a bit of research into physical sunscreens available in the UK. There are more than there used to be so I thought I'd pass it on.

I found several but here are 3 at different prices.

'Medik8 Physical Sunscreen SPF30', £29.95/90ml. It's free from chemicals and claims not to leave a white tint. You can buy it on Amazon or go to their website.

Skin Ceuticals Sheer Physical UV Defence SP 50, £18.50/50ml

Avene Very High Protection Mineral Cream SPF50+, £12.07/50ml.

They all say free from chemicals, and are available on Amazon Marketplace.

I saw a review that says the Avene is quite white, but might depend on your skin.

I believe Ultrasun also make a physical sunscreen but I can't find one available.
Indium
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:22 am      Reply with quote
sigma wrote:
For my face I really like Pratima, Marie Veronique and now Living Libations - all organic and physical sunscreens.

Sigma,
I have been curious about Living Libations sunscreen and noticed you mentioned it on your list, can you describe your experience of Living Libations sunscreen so far. Does it stay in place, spread easily, give an oily sheen/matte, drying/moisturizing, etc? also do you find that it protects the skin well from UVA & UVB? does it do a good job if preventing tanning of the skin.
Your help would be appreciated.
foxe
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:41 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:

ZnO, a physical sunblocker, blocks UVA & UVB . it reflects em instead of absorbing em... TiO2, also a physical blocker, absorbs em I think, and does not fully protect from UVA, UVA protection is like 70% or so,but still is v good.. as far as I know...

I'm almost certain that any physical sunscreen is not absorbed and just sits on top of the skin- TiO2 included (since there are only 2 physical ones anyway -LOL- TiO2 and ZnO). But I will agree with you that TiO2 doesn't offer as full of a protection as ZnO does. Its the spectrum of the UVA/UVB rays that ZnO does a fuller job of covering vs the TiO2.

But, they do work well in tandem.

Oh - and it's chemical SSs that are absorbed by the skin during exposure to the sun.

Back to the topic at hand - the Replenix sounds nice and I'll have to remember that for when my current stash is gone. I've just stocked up on Cere-Ve's new SS line, so I'm kinda anxious to try that since it has ceramides and niacinamide in it. (And this is for extra protection for me on top of Skin Bio's Copper Sun)

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:00 pm      Reply with quote
Indium,

it is oily, spreads well, even my extremely sensitive eyes tolerate it very well.

I do not know how well it protects, since I use it while driving to work; but I found I love Living Libations skincare products the best.

HTH

20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:16 pm      Reply with quote
foxe wrote:
daler wrote:

I'm almost certain that any physical sunscreen is not absorbed and just sits on top of the skin- TiO2 included

I meant that TiO2 absorbs UV n neutralizes (something like this) em while ZnO reflects them.
Indium
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:57 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks Sigma for your thoughts on the Living Libations Sunscreen. I am glad to hear it works with your skin. Their stuff is expensive and I have wondered about that line but there didn't seem to be anyone on EDS who had tried the sunscreen by them. Glad to finally get some thoughts on it from someone on EDS.
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:27 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry I'm a bit confused with the Topix replenix sunscreen. According to the link it says it has 13.75%ZnO and SPF 50 protection. How is it my burnout has around 18.6% Zno and only 30 SPF ?? Is there Ti02 in this too, or other sunscreen ingredients (just not mentioned in the ingredient list)?
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
dionie wrote:
Sorry I'm a bit confused with the Topix replenix sunscreen. According to the link it says it has 13.75%ZnO and SPF 50 protection. How is it my burnout has around 18.6% Zno and only 30 SPF ?? Is there Ti02 in this too, or other sunscreen ingredients (just not mentioned in the ingredient list)?

I know it's all confusing, I have used neutrogena physical sunblock called " sensitive skin" sunscreen, it has 4.9 % TiO2 and 4.7% ZnO and it is spf 60!

Sunblcoks are considered drugs and go thru FDA inspection, so I am hoping spf is what it says on the bottle!
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:54 pm      Reply with quote
Are any of these good substitutes for Clinique City Block Sheer 25SPF, the one that is slightly tinted? I need something that I can either wear under foundation or by itself but add more on top a few hours later if need be.
dionie
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:08 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
dionie wrote:

I know it's all confusing, I have used neutrogena physical sunblock called " sensitive skin" sunscreen, it has 4.9 % TiO2 and 4.7% ZnO and it is spf 60!

Sunblcoks are considered drugs and go thru FDA inspection, so I am hoping spf is what it says on the bottle!

Yeah I hope these are all correct. I just had assumed that the higher the percentage of ZnO, when used alone (without other sunscreen ingredients) the better the sun protection.... but then again SPF only measures UVB rays so perhaps the PPD (UVA measure) would be different. I know that UVA1 & II is better protected with more Zno, but of course depends on the formulation and if other UV filters are involved.

Yes I agree its all so confusing. I certainly think broad spectrum protection is best and reapplication is important as well as putting on the correct amount. No point in wearing sunscreen and being pedantic about formulas if we don't wear enough to protect us, right LOL

Yes Im officially confused. Any scientists in the house ?? Smile
magsiemags
5% products discount

Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:00 am      Reply with quote
Blue gentian wrote:
Hi All. I've been doing a bit of research into physical sunscreens available in the UK. There are more than there used to be so I thought I'd pass it on.

I found several but here are 3 at different prices.

'Medik8 Physical Sunscreen SPF30', £29.95/90ml. It's free from chemicals and claims not to leave a white tint. You can buy it on Amazon or go to their website.

Skin Ceuticals Sheer Physical UV Defence SP 50, £18.50/50ml

Avene Very High Protection Mineral Cream SPF50+, £12.07/50ml.

They all say free from chemicals, and are available on Amazon Marketplace.

I saw a review that says the Avene is quite white, but might depend on your skin.

I believe Ultrasun also make a physical sunscreen but I can't find one available.

Thank you BG for this,i am in the UK as well,so find this helpful. i am always trying to find a decent sunscreen, might give the Avene one a try next,as i find their stuff good, and i just will not pay a lot for a sunscreen or i find i scrimp on applying it so i tend to go for a decent cheaper one and use as much as needed ,will report back
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:10 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |