Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Aloe Vera Confusion Good or Bad?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
skincare1988
5% products discount

Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:03 pm      Reply with quote
I read so many conflicting things about Aloe Vera in skin care.

I have acne prone skin, so I bought a moisturizer (Dennis Gross Hydra Pure Oil free) that contains Aloe Vera as #1 ingredient.

I have used it twice so far, but I read on this forum that Aloe Vera can cause 1)hair growth and 2) glycation (aging) I don’t want NEITHER ONE!

So what do you think about aloe vera uses in skin care? Is there significant research to prove any of these hypothesis?
fawnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:33 pm      Reply with quote
I think there is sufficient evidence to make me think twice about using it long term:

Natl Toxicol Program Tech Rep Ser. 2010 Sep;(553):7-33, 35-97, 99-103 passim.
Photocarcinogenesis study of aloe vera [CAS NO. 481-72-1(Aloe-emodin)] in SKH-1 mice (simulated solar light and topical application study).
National Toxicology Program.
Abstract
The popular recognition of the Aloe barbadensis Miller (Aloe vera) plant as a therapeutic dermatologic agent has led to the widespread incorporation of Aloe vera leaf extracts in skincare products. Studies have suggested that Aloe vera in skincare preparations may enhance the induction of skin cancer by ultraviolet radiation. A 1-year study was conducted in mice to determine whether the topical application of creams containing Aloe vera plant extracts (aloe gel, whole leaf, or decolorized whole leaf) or creams containing aloe-emodin would enhance the photocarcinogenicity of simulated solar light (SSL). 1-YEAR STUDY: groups of 36 male and 36 female Crl:SKH-1 (hr -/hr -) hairless mice received topical applications of control cream or creams containing 3% or 6% (w/w) aloe gel, whole leaf, or decolorized whole leaf or 7.46 or 74.6 µg/g aloe-emodin to the dorsal skin region each weekday morning. The mice were irradiated with SSL emitted from filtered 6 kW xenon arc lamps each weekday afternoon. The topical applications of creams and irradiance exposures were conducted 5 days per week for a period of 40 weeks. A 12-week recovery/observation period followed the 40-week treatment/exposure period. Additional groups of 36 male and 36 female mice received no cream and were exposed to 0.00, 6.85, 13.70, or 20.55 mJ⋅CIE/cm2 SSL per day. Mice that received no cream treatment and were exposed to increasing levels of SSL showed significant SSL exposure-dependent decreases in survival and significant increases in the in-life observations of skin lesion onset, incidence, and multiplicity, and significant SSL exposure-dependent increases in the incidences and multiplicities of histopathology-determined squamous cell nonneoplastic skin lesions (squamous hyperplasia and focal atypical hyperplasia) and squamous cell neoplasms (papilloma, carcinoma in situ, and/or carcinoma). Squamous cell neoplasms were not detected in mice that received no SSL exposure. The topical treatment with the control cream of mice that were exposed to SSL did not impart a measurable effect when compared with comparable measurements in mice that received no cream treatment and were exposed to the same level of SSL, suggesting that the control cream used in these studies did not alter the efficiency of the SSL delivered to mice or the tolerability of mice to SSL. The application of aloe gel creams to mice had no effect on body weights, survival, or the in-life observations of skin lesion onset, incidence, or multiplicity. The administration of aloe gel creams to male mice had no effect on the incidences or multiplicities of histopathology-determined squamous cell nonneoplastic skin lesions or neoplasms. Female mice treated with aloe gel creams (3% and 6%) had significantly increased multiplicities of squamous cell neoplasms. There were no treatment-related effects on body weights, survival, or the in-life observations of skin lesion onset, incidence, or multiplicity in mice treated with the whole leaf creams. In male mice exposed to SSL and treated with the 6% whole leaf cream, a significant increase was observed in the multiplicity of squamous cell neoplasms. Female mice exposed to SSL and treated with the 3% whole leaf creams had significantly decreased multiplicity of squamous cell nonneoplastic lesions and significantly increased multiplicity of squamous cell neoplasms. Female mice exposed to SSL and treated with the 6% whole leaf cream had significantly decreased multiplicity of squamous cell nonneoplastic lesions. The application of decolorized whole leaf creams to mice had no effect on body weights, survival, or the in-life observations of skin lesion onset, incidence, or multiplicity. Male mice administered the 3% decolorized whole leaf cream had significantly increased multiplicity of squamous cell neoplasms. Female mice administered the 3% decolorized whole leaf cream had significantly decreased multiplicity of squamous cell nonneoplastic skin lesions and significantly increased multiplicity of squamous cell neoplasms. In female mice that received the 6% decolorized whole leaf cream, there was a significant increase in the multiplicity of squamous cell neoplasms. As with the Aloe vera plant extracts, the application of aloe-emodin creams to mice had no measurable effect on body weights, survival, or the in-life observations of skin lesion onset, incidence, or multiplicity. The administration of aloe-emodin creams to male mice had no effect on the incidence or multiplicity of histopathology-determined nonneoplastic skin lesions or squamous cell neoplasms. Female mice treated with the 74.6 µg/g aloe-emodin cream had significantly decreased multiplicity of histopathology-determined squamous cell nonneoplastic skin lesions and significantly increased multiplicity of squamous cell neoplasms. CONCLUSIONS: these experiments investigated the potential of topical application of creams containing extracts of Aloe barbadensis Miller plant (aloe gel, whole leaf, or decolorized whole leaf) or aloe-emodin to alter the photocarcinogenic activity of filtered xenon arc simulated solar light (SSL) in male and female SKH-1 hairless mice. Data on skin lesions were collected both on digital images during the in-life phase and by histopathologic evaluation at necropsy. No effects of creams upon SSL-induced skin lesions were identified from data collected during the in-life phase. ALOE GEL OR ALOE-EMODIN: under the conditions of these studies, there was a weak enhancing effect of aloe gel or aloe-emodin on the photocarcinogenic activity of SSL in female but not in male SKH-1 mice based on an increase in the multiplicity of histopathologically-determined squamous cell neoplasms. ALOE WHOLE LEAF OR DECOLORIZED WHOLE LEAF: under the conditions of these studies, there was a weak enhancing effect of aloe whole leaf or decolorized whole leaf on the photocarcinogenic activity of SSL in both male and female SKH-1 mice based on an increase in the multiplicity of histopathologically-determined squamous cell neoplasms.

Toxicol Lett. 2007 Jan 30;168(2):165-75. Epub 2006 Dec 6.
Photo-irradiation of Aloe vera by UVA--formation of free radicals, singlet oxygen, superoxide, and induction of lipid peroxidation.
Xia Q, Yin JJ, Fu PP, Boudreau MD.
Source
National Center for Toxicological Research, U.S. Food and Drug Administration, Jefferson, AR 72079, USA.
Abstract
Aloe vera whole leaf extracts are incorporated into a wide variety of topically applied commercial products. Aloe vera whole leaf extracts may contain anthraquinones, which have been shown to generate reactive oxygen species in the presence of ultraviolet A (UVA) light. Exposure to UVA light alone can also generate reactive oxygen species and is associated with photo-damaged and photo-aged skin in humans. This paper examines the photochemical properties of two Aloe vera whole leaf extracts that differed in their anthraquinone content. In the presence of methyl linoleate, the UVA irradiation of Aloe vera leaf extracts induced lipid peroxidation. The amounts of lipid peroxides formed were higher in the Aloe vera leaf extract that contained lower amounts of anthraquinones. Superoxide dismutase and sodium azide inhibited and deuterium oxide enhanced the formation of lipid peroxides, suggesting that singlet oxygen and superoxide were involved in the mechanism. Spin trapping electron spin resonance (ESR) spectroscopy was used to investigate the generation of free radicals by the UVA photo-irradiated Aloe vera plant extracts. ESR measurements indicated that the UVA photo-irradiation of Aloe vera plant extracts produced carbon-centered free radicals. These results suggest that humans exposed to products that contain Aloe vera whole leaf extracts may have enhanced sensitivity to ultraviolet light.

Indian J Biochem Biophys. 2010 Jun;47(3):161-5.
DNA degradation by aqueous extract of Aloe vera in the presence of copper ions.
Naqvi S, Ullah MF, Hadi SM.
Source
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Life Sciences, AMU, Aligarh, India.
Abstract
The plant Aloe vera has long been used in medicine, as dietary supplements and for cosmetic purposes. Aloe vera extracts are a rich source of polyphenols, such as aloin and aloe emodin and have shown a wide range of pharmacological properties, including anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties. The bioactive component aloe emodin has been reported to induce apoptosis in various cancer cell lines. Many of the biological activities of Aloe vera have been attributed to its antioxidant properties. However, most plant-derived polyphenols that are also present in Aloe vera may exhibit pro-oxidant properties either alone or in the presence of transition metals, such as copper. Previous reports from this laboratory have implicated the pro-oxidant action as one of the mechanisms for their anti-cancer properties. In the present paper, we show that aqueous extract of Aloe vera is also able to cause DNA degradation in the presence of copper ions. Further, the extract is also able to reduce Cu(II) to Cu(I) and generate reactive oxygen species, such as superoxide anion and hydroxyl radicals in a dose-dependent manner, which correlates with ability of the extract to cause DNA breakage. Thus, the study shows that in addition to antioxidant activity, Aloe vera extract also possess pro-oxidant properties, leading to oxidative DNA breakage.

5% products discount

Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:10 pm      Reply with quote
This is scary. I wonder if a few years later some ingredients we think are beneficial now, are actually hurting us.
mur
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:22 pm      Reply with quote
Wow - hmmm I use a ton of aloe vera in skincare and I've used it for years (my sunblock and I just generally use aloe vera underneath my moisturizer).... Maybe I should stop.

I have pretty good skin though and I'm 31.
projectbeauty
5% products discount

Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:42 pm      Reply with quote
My question is, what about pure aloe taken directly from the plant.

I always just assumed aloe was just a wonder plant that is and always will be good for your body.

I wonder what other effects it could pose when combined with different ingredients used in certain products.
Chlorophyll
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:50 am      Reply with quote
As far as I'm concerned, topical aloe is only good for recently heat damaged skin. It's an ok moisturizer but there are other ingredients that work better. Aloe shines when taken internally really.

Aloe is one of those "sexy" ingredients. Laughing There's tons of info about it being used in Egypt and other ancient civilizations for beauty, and it's supposedly one of the healing plants that grew in the garden of eden. It's hard to break that psychological and emotional attachment to something that's literally the stuff of legends.
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:22 am      Reply with quote
People seeking man's advice will be scared of a LVING plant Sad
And fear is the number 1 reason of income in beauty industry.

People trusting Nature will use aloe for healthy purposes.Trust your gut feeling about aloe.
Aloe vera paste with slppery elm bark is used for scar free healing.
So you have your answer.Aloe helps the body restore itself.It doesnt harm you.It helps your tissue to survive healthy.
Plant some aloe and take the inside gel.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:57 am      Reply with quote
As with anything, USE WITH MODERATION, folks.
I would not use it in sunscreens or skin that is exposed to UV light tho. And only for short periods, as for burn healing, as Chlorophyll's post states.

I dont use aloe at all.

5% products discount

Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:10 am      Reply with quote
I don't use aloe vera on its own, but I just noticed that my moisturizer has it listed as #1 ingredient, most likely containing over 50% of aloe vera. I might have to return it, even though it is doing a decent job for my oily skin.
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
I completely stopped use aloe vera since I read about aloe causing glycation here on eds a couple of years ago..
Lotusesther
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:10 pm      Reply with quote
There is good and bad in most things you put on your skin. Aloe has very calming and restoring properties - something I put on my skin after a hot day in the sun to calm down sun damage. It does the job - and glycation or not, it does help to relieve the damage.
luyan
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:30 am      Reply with quote
I like to use aloe vera gel drying after repair, it is very cheap

10% products discount
free skin care

Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:26 am      Reply with quote
Lotusesther wrote:
There is good and bad in most things you put on your skin. Aloe has very calming and restoring properties - something I put on my skin after a hot day in the sun to calm down sun damage. It does the job - and glycation or not, it does help to relieve the damage.

I find a lot of truth in this statement. Like, too much AHA can thin the skin, too little exfoliation and your skin will look dull and not renew itself as nicely. I think a lot of things can be good or bad for your skin, in different ways. I suppose moderation is the way to go.

It is kind of sad to hear aloe might not be that good for skin though, considering I slather it on every morning before using my NuFace. I do wash it off with a cleanser afterwards as I strangely find that my skin turns a little red in response to most aloe gels (I use Lily of the Desert organic). But I'm not switching back to the NuFace gel primer as that stuff gave me pimples.

Even exercise and eating can encourage oxidation in the body I think...however moderate exercise and healthy eating is definitely recommended. It's the paradox of life. Living is harmful to your health Bad Grin

And, I'm not sure, but I think I've read that even copper peptides can encourage hair growth as well.
skincare1988
5% products discount

Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:35 am      Reply with quote
bellabambiiina, I think you nailed it. Moderation is key with everything. I am still struggling to find the right balance with my skincare routine.
System
Automatic Message
Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:31 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Lifeline ProPlus Night Recovery Moisture Complex (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |