Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Vit C serum skin-reaction?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Aga
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:14 pm      Reply with quote
Hello all,

I have been using Vit C 12 % serum for a few days, every 2nd day.

I noticed that after I used it my skin turns a little red on cheeks and also, I get a few tiny needle-point red dots on each cheek. Like the pores in my skin turn red, as if they were stabbed with a needle. Confused

Is it because the serum is too strong for my skin? Is it some kind of "allergic" type reaction?
Is it possible that this weird thing will just go away on its own once my skin gets used to the Vit C?
Sorry for all these Qs!
Hope someone can help!

Aga
kpka
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:29 pm      Reply with quote
Aga!
I sometimes have the same reaction to my 10% Vit C, but all the redness goes away in just a second. I actually like this effect since it brings more circulation to my face Smile
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:00 am      Reply with quote
Do these dots stay, or do they fade away? Some people with very sensitive skin cannot tolerate Vitamin C. Others just need time for their skin to adjust. You might want to add a drop or two of an oil-free moisturizer to your fingers & mix the serum in with that. Maybe the 12% concentration is too much for you to start off with. You can always "graduate" up to that concentration once your skin has become desensitized to the Vitamin C.
Also, what is the solvent in the formulation (glycerine, butylene glycol, dipropyl glycol, etc?) Maybe you're allergic to that?
Question
Aga
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:29 am      Reply with quote
Those dots kind of stay on my face Confused

I am going to a dermatologist tomorrow so I'll ask about it.

I would not want to give up Vit C though.

These are the ingredients:
Active Ingredients that Work™: L-Ascorbic Acid

Other Ingredients: Butylene Glycol stabilizing solution

Aga
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:02 pm      Reply with quote
Aga, the first week of Vit C my skin was a bit red and dry, but it went away after a week or so of use.
Aga
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:47 pm      Reply with quote
I am not sure what to do, because the redness bothers me, and I am afraid that it might stay if I continue using Vit C Embarassed
It is just so weird, like I was stabbed with a tiny needle Confused

Aga
lianne
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:17 pm      Reply with quote
perhaps you should stop for a few days, wait til it clears up and try again (SLOWLY)??
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:20 pm      Reply with quote
Oh, that's the CellularSkinRx treatment. Hrmm...I dunno. I know that I won't be popular for saying this (with all those C+Firming Serum Devotees out there), but I tried it too & I didn't like it. I just didn't like the feel of it, and I didn't like the smell...like nail polish remover. It was just to "chemical" for me.
Maybe it's the solvent you're reacting to? It is used in nail polish remover - do you have reactions to nail polish too?
Question
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:27 pm      Reply with quote
pbsadhaka wrote:
Oh, that's the CellularSkinRx treatment. Hrmm...I dunno. I know that I won't be popular for saying this (with all those C+Firming Serum Devotees out there), but I tried it too & I didn't like it. I just didn't like the feel of it, and I didn't like the smell...like nail polish remover. It was just to "chemical" for me.
Maybe it's the solvent you're reacting to? It is used in nail polish remover - do you have reactions to nail polish too?
Question

What! Shock I use the C+ Firming also. Have had no problems but are you telling me it has the same solvent as nail polish remover??? OMG
Aga
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
Whats a solvent? Embarassed

Maybe I should try a different brand Think
Any suggestions?

Aga
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:11 pm      Reply with quote
Sorry, but this nail solvent stuff is a bit alarmist...Here's a defn. of propylene/butylene glycol:
"Propylene glycol and butylene glycol are often used as humectants (moisturizers) as they are hygroscopic (they draw moisture from the air)."

This is why they are used in so many cosmetic products (Dermanew, Epidermx, Strivectin,etc). In fact, both are also approved for use in FOOD products by the FDA.

Another definition:
"Polyethylene glycol (PEG) - gives an emollient feel, or "slip", to a product like a cleanser or lotion. Similar slip agents include:

Polysorbates
Propylene glycol
Polypropylene glycol
Butylene glycol "

I can't find any information that says that butylene glycol is a solvent. I think your information is not correct.

Aga, I've been using the CellularSkinrx C+ for more than 9 mos. now and have never had a reaction to it. I do think that glycol solutions have a carbon-like smell which is not so appealing. But the results of the C serum and the stability are very appealing!

If I were you, I would not use it for a few days and see what your skin does, then slowly start again in one area as a test. C is often irritating to many at first, then the skin adjusts to it and the irritation goes away.

Good luck!
Winnie
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:25 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks so much for clearing that up!!! I really like the CS C+ also.

Aga, you seem to have had a few reactions from other products also. You skin is probably very sensitive. Go slowly with the C. Skip a few days of using the C. After that introduce it again every other day. My other thought is perhaps 12% is too high of a percentage for you starting out. Think

Good luck Aga! Things will work out. Very Happy
Aga
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:30 am      Reply with quote
betterat40, thanks for the info!

Winnie, thanks for the encouraging words Smile

Like you both suggested, I am going to take a little break from Vit C and try again in a few days.Maybe this will work Wink

12% is a strong serum, would adding water to it make it less %?

Aga
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:36 am      Reply with quote
Aga, don't add water to your serum. It will help it to become unstable and "turn" on you. Sad

10% is the concentration for sensitive skin so 12% is not so much more...Might I suggest that you put some vitamin E in your hand (rice bran oil or split open capsule)then add your C to it and then apply. Maybe the E will help to calm your face a bit?

However, I do think best suggestion is to take a few days off then retry in a small area. Some people are indeed sensitive to glycol solutions, just as some cannot tolerate silicones, and others l-ascorbic acid...Just have to wait and see...
Aga
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:27 pm      Reply with quote
Betterat40,

I will have to experiment.
I would hate to think I am allergic to one of the ingredients Sad

I will also try to mix Vit C with Vit E on a test are in a few days.
What would be the safest area to try in case I get more red little dots?

Aga
betterat40
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:42 pm      Reply with quote
I would try on the side of one of my cheeks...maybe a spot the size of a quarter...see what happens there...If anything does, it will be smaller and not conspicuous...
RNB68
5% products discount

Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:18 pm      Reply with quote
I tried making my own. Propylene Glycol, vitamin e, and ascorbic acid powder. I was really disappointed. I am going back to and swear by Physicians Choice 20%. Just something about the feeling when you've found the right product for you.

Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:15 am      Reply with quote
Aga wrote:

12% is a strong serum, would adding water to it make it less %?

12% could be too strong for sensitive skin. I think the concentration for sensitive skin is 7.5% (at least in the Cellex-C formulations). If that is too strong then you can try something with a vit C ester (like Jan Marini) instead of l-ascorbic. I would actually suggest diluting it with water but NOT in the bottle. Only take a drop or two onto your palm and dilute that with water, or better still, with some hyaluronic acid if you have some. That should work hopefully.
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:27 am      Reply with quote
Everyone is right on about not adding anything to the bottle. It will turn the whole formula by changing the pH and de-stabilize the vitamin C. Also, I didn't mean to alarm anyone about the nail polish remark. Even though BG is a solvent used in nail polish & removers, that doesn't mean that it is bad for you. Water is a solvent too, but that doesn't mean it's toxic. I just personally don't like the chemical-like smell of BG. It's just a personal preferance for me. Vitamin C serums can be made with more natural solvents if the formula is stabilized by other means (ie - encapsulating or "locking" the L-ascorbic acid so it doesn't oxidize in the bottle)

CellularSkinRx's C+ Firming Serum is very nice - I tried the sample, but I just don't care for the smell. Sad
lily
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:48 am      Reply with quote
pbsadhaka: I don't like the chemical smell of BG either (or the feel of it on my face) but I am concerned with using a stable vit C serum as I have had other water base ones turn quickly on me. I really respect your opinion on this stuff and am wondering if there is one you have come across that does not have BG and is fairly stable?
Aga
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:02 am      Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestions Smile

I will mix the Vit C with water in my hands and see what happens!Fingers crossed!

Aga
pbsadhaka
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:17 pm      Reply with quote
lily,
Sorry I am late getting back to you. There are a few lines out there that offer a vitamin C treatment w/o the butylene glycol. Agera has a nice MagC treatment that is BG free I believe. It is a lotion though, not a serum. Also, my mother-in-law swears by the vitamin C treatment by Revive. But it is way to expensive for me to try. I'd have to sell a kidney or something. Laughing Also, I believe that it is not in the form of L-ascorbic acid, I think it is a Vitamin C Ester. So if you would prefer the L-ascorbic acid, then that's out anyway.
Formulating with Vitamin C is tricky. It's very pH sensitive, and photosensitive. So what happens is if it not in a stabilized form or solution, then it starts to oxidize right in the bottle. Then it is not as effective. Over time it continually loses its concentration, (so it can go say from 12% to only 6 or 7), and as the pH rises, then the absorbtion into the skin is less & less, so even though you're still putting it on, it is doing nothing.
Crying or Very sad
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:42 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |