Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Gotu Kola and Boswellia Eye Serum (15 ml / 0.5 floz)
OCM Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bad purging!!!!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
Murfirhea78

Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:01 pm      Reply with quote
I have been doing OCM for a little over a month now. I started with a 10/20 mix castor/grapeseed oil. The problem is that now my entire face, including areas I never breakout in, are covered in hundreds of papules, blackheads, and pustutles. My skin also got very dry and scaley as well. This started a week into OCM and hasn't stopped.

I switched to just plain hempseed oil about 2 wks ago to see if this would help. Just more and moreand more acne! I have been using only tamanu,seabuckthorn,with a lil hempseed for a moisturizer and I use microfiber cloth to remove it. I am very thorough with getting all the oil off. My oil production is decreased and that is great but how cow I don't know if I can handle any more purging for very much longer. I work for a plastic surgeon and this is very embarassing. Who wants skincare advise from someone who looks like me. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!
Murfirhea78

Sun Jul 28, 2013 6:56 pm      Reply with quote
Anyone with a similar experience?
CookieD
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:18 pm      Reply with quote
Here are a few threads to get you started.

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=32872

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=39540

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=43317

Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:15 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks. Maybe I'm gonna back off to doing it once a week and go back to my Avene Antirogeurs Milky Cleanser, and Triacneal daily.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:01 pm      Reply with quote
OCM isn't for everyone. I am one of those people. I tried it for months, and I no longer believe in the whole purging "gotta get worse before it gets better" thing. There were other things that worked to get me to a point where I'm nearly completely happy with my skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:55 pm      Reply with quote
I'm also in the camp of those who have tried OCM and found it doesn't work with my skin. I can use an oil pre-cleanse product if I feel the need (I usually don't), but somehow all that handling that OCM involves just aggrevates my skin. I never got any black/whiteheads out, just got more and more clogged pores and bumpy looking skin. I use oils topically without a problem, but not to cleanse.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:27 pm      Reply with quote
If you wear makeup, do you first remove it before doing the OCM? I don't usually wear makeup (except on my eyebrows) and occasionally might use mineral powder, but when I do, I will apply the oil and wipe it off with a dry piece of cotton or tissue. And repeat that till the makeup is gone. Then I do the OCM with the warm cloth. I suspect that if you just apply the oil over makeup and then put the warm cloth over your face, the steam and moisture may encourage dirt into your pores and therefore cause you problems.

Also do you use a clean facecloth each time. I bought a bunch from Kmart and I use each just once then airdry it and put it in a bag so that I can wash them all in chlorine and the hottest cycle of my wash. I also use a paper towel to dry my face; never a towel that's been hanging somewhere getting acquainted with dust.

Lastly, I believe in "All things in moderation" so I don't do OCM every day. I alternate with plain water washes. A friend whose face was the clearest I had ever seen on anyone in her 30's (I mean it looked airbrushed without any makeup on it!) clued me in on the plain water washes. Basically while in the shower, she uses one of her face-only cloths and as the shower sprays her face, she uses the flannel to massage her face to remove dirt. This girl used no moisturizer and (brace yourselves) no sunscreen but her face glowed. She had oily skin and so said she didn't need moisturizer (I still think she needed sunscreen though...) Anyway, my skin used to be combination dry until I tried her method. When I did, I really thought I was a fish trying to ride a bike because my skin isn't oily...but I was surprised at how my skin didn't feel tight after the wash. And while initially it felt a bit dry (or maybe it was my imagination since I had never not applied something soon after), since I was staying home that day, I took the risk of seeing if I could make it all day with nothing on. By the second day of doing this, my face looked as if I had moisturized it. I even happened to stop at The Body Shop and tested it with those strips and it came up as oily. So it seemed as if my not smothering my face with stuff freed it to produce sebum freely and my once dry/combo face was now normal/oily. Maybe take a break from OCM too may work for you.

Have you ever tried to go to bed with a clean, bare face? I do it every night, whether after OCM or a plain water wash. I once suggested this regimen on a forum and a few people reported great results. I learned this from Eva Fraser. Maybe this can work for you too.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:57 pm      Reply with quote
Chocolat, I think we are kindred spirits, I also like a pre-cleanse occasionally.
I don't wear makeup, don't think I need it yet, so there isn't much to clean.

5% products discount

Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:04 pm      Reply with quote
I don't know if your face has calmed down, but I will answer anyway.

Work gently with the microfiber wash cloth, if your skin is extra sensitive you could be causing more irritation.

There is a possibility you could be allergic to one of the oils in your cleanser.

I tried several things years ago because an esthetician at a spa suggested. I tried to get through the purging stage and I just couldn't. Found out it was just a plain old allergy to ingredients.
AngelaE8654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:51 pm      Reply with quote
What, exactly, is OCM?? No one seems to identify it; all the thread simply call it "OCM". So I have no idea what is being discussed.

Edited: I just did a Google search for "OCM skincare" and found out it means "Oil Cleansing Method". Not my cup of tea (although I use oil in other ways for skin care) but I won't hijack the thread. Smile

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:09 am      Reply with quote
I totally believe it dumps out preexisting toxins.
Anyone with me?

Its like oil pulling(for gums/teeth/stomach) that people reporting break outs after some weeks into starting.I believe the amount of toxins the oil dumps out is insane.

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:25 am      Reply with quote
I, for one, do not believe in purging or that it has to get worse before it gets better. When I've used a product that begins to break me out, it doesn't change. When I use a product that is meant for my skin (as I am now) I never, ever break out and my skin looks better than it ever has. OCM is NOT for everyone and don't let anyon tell you it is. We're all different!
e
I also don't believe that it's purging "toxins." That isn't how our body works, according to science, and any "toxins" are processed through our kidneys, liver, and colon- not our skin. They do an excellent job at this, too. Paula Begoun has an excellent article on this. However, this isn't the same type of "purging" most people talk about when they mention their skin purging (which usually refers to what you are experiencing). I just wanted to clear up any misconceptions about skin "purging" and whether that process has anything to do with "toxins," which is a dangerously vague term anyway.
AngelaE8654
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:29 am      Reply with quote
ellaelise wrote:
I, for one, do not believe in purging or that it has to get worse before it gets better. When I've used a product that begins to break me out, it doesn't change. When I use a product that is meant for my skin (as I am now) I never, ever break out and my skin looks better than it ever has. OCM is NOT for everyone and don't let anyon tell you it is. We're all different!
e
I also don't believe that it's purging "toxins." That isn't how our body works, according to science, and any "toxins" are processed through our kidneys, liver, and colon- not our skin. They do an excellent job at this, too. Paula Begoun has an excellent article on this. However, this isn't the same type of "purging" most people talk about when they mention their skin purging (which usually refers to what you are experiencing). I just wanted to clear up any misconceptions about skin "purging" and whether that process has anything to do with "toxins," which is a dangerously vague term anyway.

I would have to say that I totally agree with this. When I see a title like:

the very first thought that comes into my head is:

"why in heaven's name would you do this to yourself"??

Personally, I don't experience "purging" with my skin care routine. Like ellaelise stated, our kidneys and our liver are what deal with "toxins" NOT our skin. Papules, blackheads, and pustutles are signs of a problem.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:35 am      Reply with quote
I kind of agree with some of your statements here, but with OCM its designed to help remove toxins and bacteria that rest on the skin and have penetrated the skin but not gone deep into the dermis, only the top upmost layers from my understanding, also being an oil it helps to remove an oil, and it’s the oils and deposits in the oils that its removing, without stripping the skin of everything which is why sometimes people with dry skins find it to be really beneficial. Of course there are various receipes and so I would encourage people to explore them if they find one particular receipe tightens their skin, or irritates it, then try a different ratio. OCM when it removes toxins, it removes those that would not go out of the body in the normal kidney, liver and colon routing because it hasn’t penetrated deeply enough to be swept away.

Also whilst the kidneys, liver and colon and other organs do process toxins out, they are by no means the only organs that do so and skin is one organ that helps with processing toxins. For example when you sweat, it’s a method the body doesn’t only use to cool itself down but its also removing toxins too. Paula Begoun has some strange ideas and even bends science and bends it to suit what’s she selling, and that’s been discussed many times on the forum already. Also when she reviews other products, I used to think she was fantastic, because she didn’t hold back at all, but then as was pointed out to me, many of the products she reviewed and would slaughter had or contained similar stuff to some of her own, and she would gloss over that fact too.

I do think OCM isn’t for everyone, but I also believe that so called “purging” happens at different times, for different people, depending on their skin issues, quality and health too. So the purging doesn’t happen identically and precisely for everyone.

ellaelise wrote:
e
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:38 am      Reply with quote
Again this isn't strictly true re liver and kidneys, and the other organs also. Skin is by far our largest organ of elimination, and but the toxins that purge from the skin are different to those that the kidneys and liver and other organs deal with. Its not that ones better than the other - they are designed for similar purposes but different things!
AngelaE8654 wrote:
I would have to say that I totally agree with this. When I see a title like:

the very first thought that comes into my head is:

"why in heaven's name would you do this to yourself"??

Personally, I don't experience "purging" with my skin care routine. Like ellaelise stated, our kidneys and our liver are what deal with "toxins" NOT our skin. Papules, blackheads, and pustutles are signs of a problem.
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:47 am      Reply with quote
I suggest to the above persons that claim skin doesnt eliminate toxins to eat 2 pizzas,2 cokes and 1 pasta with butter cream,and then come back to rethink about it.

In fact skin and lymph save your internal organs.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:37 am      Reply with quote
panoslydios wrote:
I suggest to the above persons that claim skin doesnt eliminate toxins to eat 2 pizzas,2 cokes and 1 pasta with butter cream,and then come back to rethink about it.

You are SO RIGHT!!! Laughing
Immacolata
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:15 am      Reply with quote
I love OCM and use it every night - sometimes on my whole body! I wonder if a mix with more castor oil might help those with problems w/clogged pores and bumps. Castor seems to be a very "drawing" oil. I use a 50/50 mix of castor and olive oil. I do use soap afterwards so maybe that's why I never had any trouble.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:39 am      Reply with quote
Immacolata wrote:
I love OCM and use it every night - sometimes on my whole body! I wonder if a mix with more castor oil might help those with problems w/clogged pores and bumps. Castor seems to be a very "drawing" oil. I use a 50/50 mix of castor and olive oil. I do use soap afterwards so maybe that's why I never had any trouble.

I may give castor oil a try cause i use plain olive oil.Castor oil seems to break anything so its super powerfull.
The soap thing sounds interesting.I have aloe olive soap .Do you advise to use it afterwards?
So you just rinse with soap,no warm water towel?

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:23 am      Reply with quote
panoslydios wrote:

I suspect my skin wouldn't have a problem (I don't get "reactive" skin problems from greasy or sugary foods) but I'd puff up like a balloon if I was to eat all that. Shock Shock Shock

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:29 am      Reply with quote
panoslydios wrote:
Immacolata wrote:

I may give castor oil a try cause i use plain olive oil.Castor oil seems to break anything so its super powerfull.
The soap thing sounds interesting.I have aloe olive soap .Do you advise to use it afterwards?

I use a microfiber cloth in the shower - similar to a Salux towel. I find it very effective for exfoliation without being too harsh.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:26 pm      Reply with quote
Immacolata wrote:
panoslydios wrote:
Immacolata wrote:

I use a microfiber cloth in the shower - similar to a Salux towel. I find it very effective for exfoliation without being too harsh.

I just used your method.Lets see how it would tun aka if no small like break out will occur.

I think with ocm i expell out years of toxins!!! due to my really bad diet. And toxins had trapped mainly there due to we not exercise the muscles of face.

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:17 am      Reply with quote
Btw i want to THANKS Immacolata cause her advice WORKS to clean skin after wit soap.No zits.THANK YOU.

I used like 25/75 castor/evoo massage for 30 minutes then rinse with warm water and soap with aloe and olive oil and then finally have a shower .

15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:11 pm      Reply with quote
panoslydios wrote:
Btw i want to THANKS Immacolata cause her advice WORKS to clean skin after wit soap.No zits.THANK YOU.

I used like 25/75 castor/evoo massage for 30 minutes then rinse with warm water and soap with aloe and olive oil and then finally have a shower .

You might want to also try substituting fractionated coconut oil for the EVOO. I believe it's more suited to oily skin.

15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:42 pm      Reply with quote
2nd day using after soap(olive /aloe) and warm towel.NO REAL ZITS.Thank you immacolata.

Make sure to wipe out any remnants of oil .If stills there are zits,seems like there is a detoxing accumulated process that cant be prevented in most ways.

Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:22 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |