Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Favourite Facial Exercise Program
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skincare Tools & Do-It-Yourself Skincare
Reply to topic
flipper
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:03 am      Reply with quote
Hello all,
I am wondering what facial exercise programs are tried and true. I had purchased Flex Effects over a decade ago and used it faithfully up until two years ago (I started at age 36). The positive results were 11's reduced, some lift in upper eye and the increased circulation helped with skin tone. I never saw significant results in my lax under eyes, cheeks and neck/jowls. Unfortunately, these were the areas I was most concerned with. I had received feedback on their forum and it seems I may have been too aggressive and not allowing recovery time, which would over stress the skin and muscles. I did stop for a while after that and then began again months later doing the exercises less frequently. I truly believe that facial exercise can have a positive effect, but I think I need to try another program. Any suggestions?
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:31 am      Reply with quote
Well for cheeks in my book Ageless exercises beat every program out there, but I'm not so sure it will do much for your eyes, or neck and jowls, but then at 38 I'm a little surprised this is an issue for you - but there are a few good programs out there. It all depends also on how confident you are about doing things. For one with the eyes, I like Yumana's ball rolling for the face - that really opened by eyes a treat, but my lower face has also been a concern of mine and I mix and match and finally am at a place where I like how my lower face looks but recognise its taken a while to get to it and its not been done by following one single program.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:42 am      Reply with quote
Every face exercise program out there is "tried and true" for those who continue to do the program. So really the answer to your question will be any and every face exercise program there is. This is because different strokes work for different folks and really the only way to find out may be through trial and error.

There are threads that discuss face exercises at length and some are specific to particular programs. Unfortunately the program-specific threads are very long but the discussions may help you decide on what programs to try. Other than that, your other option would be to research the programs on your own by visiting the websites and looking at results of those who do the program and asking the trainers questions...then follow your instincts.

Here are threads on face exercises that may help you get a feel for the programs and also what you can expect from them:

http://www.essentialdayspa.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=11902&start=2
flipper
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:39 pm      Reply with quote
Thank you ladies. TheresaMary, I am 49, I had started the program around 36-37 and did it for 10 years and then scaled back two years ago. I had a very full face until I had a baby and afterwards I lost the fullness and my cheeks just disappeared. The fat loss caused everything else to drop too. I'll check into the programs you suggested.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:20 pm      Reply with quote
I have used numerous programs and appreciated all of them for various reasons. My overall fave has been Rose Tran facial yoga. But I still do Carol Maggio for lips plumping exercise. I love scalp flex from flex effect and pinching for cheek lift ala LouLou. I also like the lower face lift freebie from Eva Frasier and another freebie from Sexy Seventy (names is escaping me right now - It's on youtube). If I were to buy a program at this moment I am intrigued with Carolyn's Facial Fitness. I don't own that one but I like the way she looks at her mid 60's and currently do her brush technique.

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:07 pm      Reply with quote
I did Flex Effect for a few months several years ago and found it too aggressive and forceful for me. I got severe headaches, neck aches, and painful shoulders from the poses. Now, that is just me, as I know many swear by it. Facial exercise is a very individual kind of thing.

After doing nothing face-ex-wise since then, I just purchased Carolyn's Facial Fitness. I read about her on this forum, and liked what I read, plus the fact that it's 15 minutes a few times a week, not 40 minutes like FE. I began using the brush technique on my neck before I got the DVD, and really like it. I've contacted Carolyn two or three times with questions, and she always responds quickly and thoroughly to individualize your program. I e-mailed her some pictures of me so she can help me spot progress and suggest things that might help. I find the exercises pretty simple to do, easy to follow, and once you learn them you do most of them lying down, which is great for keeping neck tension minimal.

One of the reasons I decided to resume was (besides gravity making its presence more obvious, and the usual sagging in the usual places for someone my age) was that my oval face was beginning to look a little square at the bottom, as those jowly bits were just beginning to erode my jawline. After only a few workouts, to my great surprise, my jaw looks smoother today - not completely oval yet, for sure, but enough that I noticed, and I'm not one to kid myself or imagine improvement. That combined with not having any neck, shoulder pain or headache, encourages me to keep with it and see what happens.

I am also a little intrigued with Face Yoga but for now am sticking with Carolyn's. If you go onto Youtube you will be able to see samples of lots of different kinds of programs.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:56 pm      Reply with quote
Chocolat - that is so encouraging. I'm happy for you. I hope it continues to work - I'll be following your progress! I use Carolyn's brush technique with my Pico toner gloves and I also do it in the shower. She has a nice jawline - that's for sure.

20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:44 am      Reply with quote
flipper - Wow you started the program then, I’m jealous. I wish I had started when I was younger, rather than in my 50’s (I’m in my 60 somethings now ha ha). I’m curious too if you went back to their forum and got help? After all if this is a product you paid good money for – then they have a responsibility to help you no matter what, and from what I’ve seen they are usually helpful to most. I would still revisit them and pose that question to them too, as it may be something that could play a role no matter what program you do – thyroid for instance comes to mind, when mine started going up the spout no matter what I did nothing – nada on body or face was working as it should, even programs I’ve done for 20 years plus (body wise). So that might be worth checking too.

Chocolat I’m guesing you are talking about their older version, the newer one has a 13 minute workout on it which I love. My lower face needs its ass kicking sometimes and with other programs I’ve tried it just doesn’t cut the cake with my lower face (I wish it did though). I must say upfront that I mix and match programs, but I have done programs in their entirety throughout for well over a year during the many years, and for me, I find that particular exercises work a muscle group nicer for me than others so I tend to keep that in my routine and just add what I need etc. Ultimately I think that’s what we need to do. Even program creators change their programs every so often – Eva’s, Deb’s, Carolyn’s have all had things added or subtracted to it, and rightly so. I’m just throwing this out there because I know people will read 40 minutes and think whoa I aint got that time, and you don’t need to spend that time any longer like you used to.
flipper
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:14 am      Reply with quote
I tried the exercise on CFF website for jowls yesterday and I am happy to report that this morning the muscles in that area are sore! I might get her program first and see how it goes. I didn't see an example exercise on Lou Lou's Ageless website. I bought Carol Maggio years ago after Flex Effect, but I remember them as being more exaggerated facial movements as opposed to resistance exercises. I don't think I ever followed through with it because of that; just didn't think it would have the same effect. I'm also wondering if those getting good results exercise daily or less frequently. I found, with Flex Effects, that every other day caused less stress and allowed my muscles to recover. Deb and the moderators said that it is ok to work your face daily and encouraged it, but even after doing this for years, I just looked worn out.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:12 am      Reply with quote
Just wanted to say that not all programs subtract exercises: I have been doing Carolyn's Facial Fitness since 2007 and nothing has been "subtracted" from it. The foundational exercises are still the same. What has happened is new bonus exercises have been added and then depending on your needs, Carolyn may customize the program for you. I still do the foundational program exactly as I learned it 6.5 years ago.

I also do Tom's program exactly as I learned it in 2005 then add on whatever new additions there have been since then. Again, no "subtraction".

Chocolat, I am happy you are liking CFF. Just keep in touch with Carolyn and send her photos down the road. The assurance that you are still on the right track I found very invaluable, as well as the highlighting of changes that were happening that I may have been unaware of.

Flipper I think every program has its own schedule and then perhaps there is a customization that may be added per person, so you need to confirm with each trainer what they recommend for you and keep in touch because that may change. I did CFF five days a week and took two days off initially. Eva's program I did daily initially. Tom's I do pretty irregularly because I do it on days I change my mind about doing CFF. My schedule got lighter over time but that was with the blessings of the trainers.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:32 am      Reply with quote
Well subtraction is the wrong word, but I’ve noticed frequently that there are exercises that are combined. Examples in Facercise are the Cheek Raiser/Face Energiser they used to be separate exercises and now are merged into one. Likewise with FlexEffect there was the Crows Feet and Tear Duct one that are merged into one. They are not subtracted from the program but are now merged. I seem to recall with Carolyn’s (although I have to confess its been some time since I’ve done it) that there were new exercises added each year via the newsletter? So each program continues to update itself. One of the only exceptions that I know of is Facial Magic which has never changed at all. That kit still is the same as when I purchased it 10 years ago (and I know this because a mutual friend purchased it a month ago).
flipper
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
TheresaMary,
It's interesting that you mentioned the thyroid. I was just told a few months ago that I have a slowing thyroid. It is not considered full blown hypo, but getting there and I have seen a change in my skin and my body Sad When I was doing Flex Effects I was so anxious to see results that I quickly increased my reps to 12 instead of 6 and was doing this 5 days a week for years. I never saw the improvement I wanted and I attribute that to over working the muscles. The Flex Effect moderators (Sean) and others recommended I cut back and that did help but I waited too long to seek advise.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:42 pm      Reply with quote
When I was really into Flex Effect the emphasis was on maintaining the 40 min. a day schedule. Sean was almost adament on the flex effect forum and I appreciated his knowledge and how much it helped him. I saw some lift but I thought I did look tired at times around my eyes and my cheeks looked better after Lou Lou if I recall correctly. Face muscles are so small in generalI can imagine they get taxed pretty easily.
I haven't really perused Carolyn's offerings for purchasing her facial program. Is there one specific one that you would recommend Nonie? I am seriously pondering using with my microcurrent as an adjunct on the off days.

Thanks for starting this thread flipper Exclamation I hope you find something that works for you.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:34 am      Reply with quote
Well the thyroid is one of the ones that most people have trouble with, and basically the thyroid is all about hormones frm what I understand. So if you got something under par or over par (you can have a too hard working thyroid – my brother has one) then your skin and face and body definitely does change. My brother who is also in his 60’s started getting all sorts of weird thigns going on – like forgetfulness etc big time, and that’s so unlike him so I knew something was up, and when he finally agreed to get his testing done, the doctor was amazed that he could walk with the results showed he had a major overactive thyroid. When he started meds for that, his face and weight changed. You see he was always active growing up even in his 40’s and 50’s and then 60’s bamb he started having a spare tire around his waist which was just strange, and we all knew something was up. When he started the medication, the tyre literally vanished.

The hormones are one of those things that I’m convinced us women need to be so more intune with and know more about, because it effects everything.

Re flexeffects, cool that you know that was the answer. I don’t think you ever wait too long to seek advice, and shame on them if they said so – because you can always do things in my experience to unchanged the face and EDS is full of stories like that so don’t lose heart, it may just mean doing a differnet kind of program like the ones I mentioned previously.

Tessie
flipper wrote:
TheresaMary,
It's interesting that you mentioned the thyroid. I was just told a few months ago that I have a slowing thyroid. It is not considered full blown hypo, but getting there and I have seen a change in my skin and my body Sad When I was doing Flex Effects I was so anxious to see results that I quickly increased my reps to 12 instead of 6 and was doing this 5 days a week for years. I never saw the improvement I wanted and I attribute that to over working the muscles. The Flex Effect moderators (Sean) and others recommended I cut back and that did help but I waited too long to seek advise.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:36 am      Reply with quote
I know that's one of the things I struggled with when I did it, because I also did other things too - and I know that goes against the grain with what they advise but it worked for me too. The 40 minutes was just the exercises though, it was more like 1 hr you had to spend back then because you had to do the massage. I really like the way Deb changed her system though, because the 15 minute is a breeze now in comparison.

To be honest, even other flexers I spoke with never did the full 40 minutes routine either, I think Sean was the only one (poor thing but then I guess he must have needed it).
sister sweets wrote:
When I was really into Flex Effect the emphasis was on maintaining the 40 min. a day schedule. Sean was almost adament on the flex effect forum and I appreciated his knowledge and how much it helped him. I saw some lift but I thought I did look tired at times around my eyes and my cheeks looked better after Lou Lou if I recall correctly. Face muscles are so small in generalI can imagine they get taxed pretty easily.
I haven't really perused Carolyn's offerings for purchasing her facial program. Is there one specific one that you would recommend Nonie? I am seriously pondering using with my microcurrent as an adjunct on the off days.

Thanks for starting this thread flipper Exclamation I hope you find something that works for you.
Nonie aka AD
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:33 am      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:

Hi sister sweets:

When I did FE, Sean wasn't a trainer and the rule was still to do all 44/40 exercises in the book. The only time you were not to is if you had an overbuild and had to back off the exercises believed to be responsible for that. So you are right that we were to do the whole program unless otherwise directed.

The 3rd edition of FE is supposed to be 30 exercises plus the massages...and you can do either the 12-minute program or 24-minute program. Since new exercises were added, I suppose some "subtraction" had to occur in this particular program for the addition of new exercises to give a total that was less than the former. (In any case, what I said before still stands: that not all programs subtract from the original over time. Simply translated, some do and some don't. Not sure what argument there is about that. *shrug* )

With regard to the CFF program, there is only one offered in two kits, one kit being cheaper than the other. The difference between the two is the more expensive kit just has a few extras in it. But not having them will not take from you being able to get the full program or all you need. In fact, while I got the full kit, in the end the only thing not collecting dust is the Pacing CD that I use when exercising. The other items are invaluable when you are learning the program and for convenience' sake (Like the flash cards are easier to take with you on a trip than lugging along a CD or DVD player, for instance). But once you know the program, then the Pacing CD becomes your main guide.

You can see what is in each kit at the following link and if you hover your mouse over each item, you can read more about it:

http://www.carolynsfacialfitness.com/facial-exercise-kits

Whichever kit you get, it will be really good value for the money. Carolyn is very generous, not just with her time, but also with what she includes in the kits.
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:19 pm      Reply with quote
Nonie you make a good point about the pacing cd. I can see that as being the one that would be used in the end. I'll get the set with that included.

Thank you everyone for validating that FE practically demanded 40 minutes. I was so careful about putting the time in back when and now it's 12 minutes. Things are always updating and changing when new info comes to light. My thought is that the fatigue of working those small muscles was recognized as not working for many people from a standpoint of "time" and also outcome.

I'd rather put 20 minutes into my Pico toner and 15 on facial exercise and still be ahead of the time frame with positive results.
At this point facial exercise is an adjunt to a great gadget. I'm an exercise girl so I like the idea of working my facial muscles.

For the record Flex Effect has some awesome exercises and I admire Deb Crowley very much.

15% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:48 pm      Reply with quote
sister sweets wrote:
Nonie you make a good point about the pacing cd. I can see that as being the one that would be used in the end. I'll get the set with that included.

sister sweets both kits have the Pacing CD as it is a necessary part of the workout in order to be able to complete it in 15 minutes once you have mastered the movements from the DVD.
flipper
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:20 am      Reply with quote
I should go on the record that I do not blame Flex Effect for my lack of desired results. I definitely did benefit from the program, but the intensity was too much for me; and some of that was my own doing. I was never told by Flex Effects that I waited too long to get help, that was my thought. I think Deb is gorgeous and she was a pioneer in the resistant exercises. My goal is to find additional exercises that would be effective but less forceful. The exercises where you lock on and pull the face from inside your mouth never worked for me. I didn't feel as though I got a greater resistance and my face always looked stressed afterwards. I also tried rolling the skin under my eyes in an effort to thicken that area, but I looked much worse after. I have pretty baggie eyes. I kept trying to work through the "uglies", but it was not the right approach for me.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:24 am      Reply with quote
Oh okay they didn’t tell you that, I’m relieved. I was a bit cross when I first read it as it sounded like you were saying they said you contacted them too late. I know what you mean re the eyes and looking baggier, that for me was a major area of concern of mine, as my eyes looked pretty good before the exercises, and I was concerned when I started that they looked looser, but am happy to say that I do it nowadays and they don’t look bad, so I think there is smething in what they say about it adjusting over time. I hate exercises where you have to put fingers/thumbs in mouth but every program has them. Even Eva Fraser – but she advises you use gloves. I did for a while, and found it irritated my skin with the gripping on and pulling etc, but I switched to those rubber surgical kind of gloves you get in the chemist and they work much better for me without the irritation. I would definitely try the Yumana, there’s no thumbs in the mouth, and you use a ball, but its so relaxing. Love it!
flipper
10% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:09 pm      Reply with quote
I tried cotton gloves to get a better grip, but there was something a bit icky about it, so that didn't last long. I do remember not having issues with the exercise where you put your thumb in your mouth and push the cheek out while contracting it in. Someone had recommended doing it with a soup spoon and that was a bit more appealing. Every now and then I try rolling under my eyes, but it just looks so awful afterwards I can't continue.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:45 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |