Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Peter Thomas Roth Instant FIRMx Eye (30 ml / 1 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern L'Essentials Alpine Rose Glacial Serum Masque Resilience Building Treatment (100 ml / 3.3 floz)
Glabellar Lines - wow, improved!
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:58 am      Reply with quote
I noticed something over the weekend that makes me very happy - my lls are really tiny now and where there used to be wrinkles/crevices, all I see now is smooth and shiny new skin...

I should have taken before photos.

Background - I stopped getting Botox in that area after January 2012 because I noticed the Botox appeared to be causing permanent drooping of my eyelids.

I decided to "attack" the 11 wrinkles with increased needling efforts, focusing not just all over the skin, but specifically right in the wrinkle crevices. Since 1/2012, I have also been doing more TCA peels...

Incredibly, this has all worked well....and I am so glad that although I am older, my skin looks younger.

After the glabellar discovery, I decided to examine the lines around my mouth a little closely and I see they are smaller too...

Wow, it all works ;0

BFG
10Sylvia5
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:30 pm      Reply with quote
BFG

that is such good news congrats. It just goes to show that with a concerted, determination things actually do work.

I have just done a 1mm roll, a reasonable amount of bleeding and now red and stinging!
Your results have given me a boost, I do think its a combo of it all but also having to amp things up a bit in that ( for me anyway, not being too gentle!!, but also having time in between aggressive treatments to allow the skin to heal and repair constructively)

So thank you for sharing your success and once again congratulations!!! Very Happy

15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:32 pm      Reply with quote
Hey, great news! Good for you, BFG!

But I hafta ask...*why* were you not taking pictures before...? Remember, pictures, or it didn't happen. Razz Laughing

Seriously, just kidding. That's what they say on men's hair forums. It's like a running joke now.

It's very encouraging to hear all this effort is not for naught!

Start taking pics now, and more later, see if there's further improvement.

And again, good for you!
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:48 pm      Reply with quote
Yubs wrote:

But I hafta ask...*why* were you not taking pictures before...?

who wants to see their wrinkles in photos, mirror is enough! Wink

but I know hat you mean....
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:57 pm      Reply with quote
BFG, great news! You have inspired me to get out my My-M and start working on mine!

10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:31 pm      Reply with quote
BFG,
I'm so happy for you. Your post is most timely as I had just decided to attach my 11's and overall "old" looking face with the same regimen. I used the derma roller (1.5) a few times about 5 years ago, but was never consistent enough to see results. I decided to start rolling again and also bought single needles. I also plan to do a TCA peel in the Fall. I hope I can have results like yours in a years time. I'll remember to take pictures so I can compare. How often did you roll and peel?
Panda1
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:46 pm      Reply with quote
This is great news! I was getting kind of depressed reading about the less than stellar results some were reporting on the dermaroller thread in the other forum. I have to say that I have been most pleased with my Dermapen results and continue to see improvements. I do believe that building collagen is a long process and requires a great deal of patience. I think 12 - 18 months is more likely for the real wow results, but there is absolutely no doubt that I am seeing results.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:11 pm      Reply with quote
I stopped dermarolling for about a year. Decided to do it once a month from now on. Just did it again for the first time last week and I couldn't remember what to do when I was finished. I rolled at night, took a shower and went to bed. The next morning I washed my face and applied copper peptide serum. Do I need to do anything else in the 24 hr period afterward?
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:30 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl, can you remind us what you use right after dermaneedling?
VirginiaWhite
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:23 am      Reply with quote
my skin is so sensitive, I'm worried that it would take me ages to recover from dermaneedling!
Those who have dermaneedled, how long does it take to recover?
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:46 am      Reply with quote
I estimate that I rolled about 4 times in 2012. I probably did about the same number of TCA peels.

I have always used retinoids and sunscreen too and occasional hormone based topicals.

In 2013, I stepped this up with the automated needler, paying special attention to the "cracks", lol....I have probably auto-needled 3 times thus far in 2013 and now doing the 4th tonight.

I have also done about 4 TCA peels so far in 2013 and still using the same topicals, but adding 10% glycolic cream from time to time.

After needling, I've used either the GOW vitamin serum or Environ vitamin body oil (yes, body oil on my face and neck and hands).

It's strange how the improvements are gradual until one day...wow! they just pop out at you as very noticeable.

BFG
VirginiaWhite
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:38 am      Reply with quote
BFG how long is your downtime after needling? ie until your skin is no longer red etc.
Yubs
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:23 pm      Reply with quote
[quote=Barefootgirl]In 2013, I stepped this up with the automated needler, paying special attention to the "cracks", lol....I have probably auto-needled 3 times thus far in 2013 and now doing the 4th tonight.

I have also done about 4 TCA peels so far in 2013 and still using the same topicals, but adding 10% glycolic cream from time to time. [/quote]

That seems pretty aggressive. Not criticizing, just ruminating out loud, sez the woman with the bruise under her eye from going at it too hard with Dermajet. Laughing

Are you addressing scars or just garden-variety wrinkles, droops, and sags (like most of us)?

Are you alternating months between TCA and needling? Or are you doing a series of one and then a series of the other?

Between this and reading Setterfield more closely I'm getting interested in TCA peels now. Sad
LoriA
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:41 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:

who wants to see their wrinkles in photos, mirror is enough! Wink

Laughing Laughing

Yup, it does seem aggressive, but this has inspired me to keep up my single needling on my 11's! I needle, use cp's and then surgical tape every couple of weeks. I also have a stamp but only dabble with that once in a while. It really does hurt, especially anywhere near my mouth!

I tried some TCA cross a year or two ago, but I left the dot on some hyperpigmentation too long and ended up with a much darker spot which took a very long time to clear. So with my olive skin, I got scared of TCA. I don't have many spots to worry about anymore anyway. Instead I've been doing 44% lactic acid over the entire face for a very short time every few weeks.. not the same, but until I research more and work up the courage to try something stronger again, experimenting strength & time with la will have to do.

p.s. My redness only lasts about a day, but I have the benefit of tan skin to hide it.

Olive, normal/oily skin. Using rinse-off ocm, Vit C, Tretinoin since Nov/10, GHK since Feb/12, Niacinamide & glucosamine, alternating, & now skipping nights! Concerns include oiliness, hyperpigmentation from occasional zits, 11's & nasolabial folds.
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:09 pm      Reply with quote
These TCA peels are not very deep. I am using a layer of Jessners, followed by a layer of TCA, I think it is 15% only...
I space them out quite apart and now that the longer days of sun are here, I don't do them, but will resume in the fall.

I am addressing overall aging. I know that needling does nothing for sagging, so I don't even consider it for that purpose. I am needling to keep my skin from getting that transparent, wrinkled look that older people get. If you haven't already, go check out Dr. F's most recent YouTube interviews. I think he's in his 70s now and his skin is thick and clear. He doesn't have that spotted, transparent, veiny look that older people get.
I started doing most of this 6 years ago (the needling only a couple years ago). My face has not aged one bit in all that time although I am sure it is a bit saggier around the jowels and I did have bleph surgery on my upper eyelids last year.

Before I got aggressive with my hands, I started to develop two age spots there...they are now gone and no new spots anywhere.

BFG
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:12 pm      Reply with quote
As far as downtime, I needle at night.

The next morning I wake up with a puffy, swollen face that is red and with tiny prick marks on it. I can cover it with foundation and live my normal life although I do use more foundation and concealer that day than usual.
Over the next 24 hours, the swelling goes down, the redness leaves and the prick marks begin to fade...sometimes it takes a couple days for them to fade, but I use foundation anyway.

BFG
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:18 pm      Reply with quote
As with needling, before I started doing my own peels, I did a ton of research on my own, so now I have it down pat.
I don't have a set schedule, I just tried to do a peel when I had a few days with no outside appointments...and didn't needle too soon prior or after.

I have discovered something wonderful lately that helps so much after needling and peeling...after I am finished and my skin is freshly washed (but sooo painful) I quickly apply one of my disposable gel masks that I buy on eBay from Asia....nothing is more soothing and it makes the whole thing possible. The cold gel cuts pain like nothing else...

BFG
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:08 am      Reply with quote
Could you please share a link to this gel mask!

Barefootgirl wrote:
As with needling, before I started doing my own peels, I did a ton of research on my own, so now I have it down pat.
I don't have a set schedule, I just tried to do a peel when I had a few days with no outside appointments...and didn't needle too soon prior or after.

I have discovered something wonderful lately that helps so much after needling and peeling...after I am finished and my skin is freshly washed (but sooo painful) I quickly apply one of my disposable gel masks that I buy on eBay from Asia....nothing is more soothing and it makes the whole thing possible. The cold gel cuts pain like nothing else...

BFG
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:39 am      Reply with quote
there is no one particular brand - search on eBay under the words "hydro-gel mask"...look for Asian sellers, they are about $4/each - and I use one after each peel or needling.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:03 am      Reply with quote
BFG, is your ice roller helping with the pain during the rolls?

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:44 am      Reply with quote
yes, it helps some, mostly use it on my hands, but I really have fallen in love with the hydrophilic gel masks... it's like the discomfort stops immediately and then it's actually replaced by a comforting feeling.

I have no affiliation with these masks, lol - just a happy user and I have used several brands - they are all the same.

BFG
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:51 am      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
yes, it helps some, mostly use it on my hands, but I really have fallen in love with the hydrophilic gel masks... it's like the discomfort stops immediately and then it's actually replaced by a comforting feeling.

I have no affiliation with these masks, lol - just a happy user and I have used several brands - they are all the same.

BFG

I looked up the gel masks...I see you can even get them with snail slime, lol.

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:01 pm      Reply with quote
here is one example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-ANTI-AGING-COLLAGEN-GEL-FACE-MASK-HYALURONIC-ACID-/200549649137?pt=US_Skin_Care&hash=item2eb1b0caf1#ht_4009wt_758

They come in many colors. I've paid about $4-$5 for each of them, put them in the fridge ahead of time, apply them after needling or peeling, leave them on for several minutes, then dispose -soooo wonderful after assaulting my skin! LOL.

I just saw a few listings on eBay for $159 for 100 of them, so maybe we should consider a split order like we did with the needle cartridges. PM if interested...

BFG
Barefootgirl
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:09 pm      Reply with quote
These are the first I've seen shipped from the US - they look inexpensive:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Face-Mask-Collagen-Facial-5-Pack-Moisture-Gel-Sheet-Skin-Anti-Aging-Treatment-/160592349850?pt=US_Skin_Care&hash=item25640cca9a#ht_2147wt_1003

BFG
RussianSunshine
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:46 pm      Reply with quote
Barefootgirl wrote:
These are the first I've seen shipped from the US - they look inexpensive:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Face-Mask-Collagen-Facial-5-Pack-Moisture-Gel-Sheet-Skin-Anti-Aging-Treatment-/160592349850?pt=US_Skin_Care&hash=item25640cca9a#ht_2147wt_1003

That one contains lavender oil. And that is what Paula Begoun writes about it:

"Widely-used plant that's a member of the mint family. It is primarily a fragrance ingredient, although it may have antibacterial properties. There is no research showing it has any benefit for skin (Sources: Phytotherapy Research, June 2002, pages 301–308). In fact, it can be a skin irritant but there is a conflicting research on just how much of a photosensitizer lavender can be. It appears lavender oil all by itself isn't a photosensitizer, but when exposed to oxygen (as it would be when applied to your skin), one of it's fragrant components, linalyl acetate forms substances that lead to allergic contact dermatitis in and out of sunlight (Sources: The New Ideal in Skin Health: Separating Fact from Fiction, Thornfeldt, Carl M.D., Allured Books, 2010, pages 286–287; Contact Dermatitis, January 2008, pages 9–14; Hautarzt, February 2002, pages 93–97; and Contact Dermatitis, August 1999, page 111).

Research also indicates that other components of lavender, specifically linalool, can be cytotoxic, meaning that topical application causes skin-cell death (Source: Cell Proliferation, June 2004, pages 221–229). Lavender leaves contain camphor, which is known as a skin irritant. Because the fragrance constituents in lavender oil oxidize when exposed to air, lavender oil pro-oxidant. This enhanced oxidation also increases its irritancy on skin (Source: Contact Dermatitis, September 2008, pages 143–150). Lavender oil is the most potent form, and even small amounts of it (0.25% or less) can be problematic. It is a must to avoid in skin-care products, but is fine used as an aromatherapy agent for inhalation or relaxation (Source: Psychiatry Research, February 2007, pages 89–96; andwww.naturaldatabase.com)."

http://www.paulaschoice.com/cosmetic-ingredient-dictionary/definition/lavender-extract-and-oil

I know that not everyone trusts her (she actually calls dermarollers a "skin-care industry gimmick"https://www.facebook.com/notes/paulas-choice/dermarollers-are-they-really-worthy-of-the-hype/10151736338694004) But as far as irritants go, I think, she knows what she talks about.
System
Automatic Message
Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:12 am
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz) Sundari Elderflower Moisturizer for Normal / Combination Skin (50 ml / 1.7 floz) Shira Nutriburst Glow C Power Duo (40 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |