Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Paula's Choice Clinical Instant Calm Redness Relief - ?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
bullet875
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:47 pm      Reply with quote
I just added this today to my routine. I really don't suffer from redness, but purchased this product because it has oat beta glucan in it and my face can become dry and itchy. Plus, unlike many of Paula's products, it does not have any silicones in it.

Two questions: 1 How does this look? I think that the ingredients look pretty good and would be a good addition to an anti-aging regimen

Product Ingredients:
Water, Butylene Glycol, Propylene Glycol (slip agents), Sea Whip Extract, Oat Beta Glucan, Colloidal Oatmeal (anti-inflammatory agents), Epigallocatechin Gallate (green tea-derived antioxidant), Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract (plant-derived anti-irritant), Boerhavia Diffusa Root Extract (plant-derived antioxidant), Phytic Acid (corn-derived chelating agent), Xanthan Gum (thickener), Polysorbate 20 (emulsifier), Potassium Sorbate (preservative), Disodium EDTA (chelating agent).

2. Would you use this before or after other serums (IE: Juice Beauty)? The serum is very thick (like a syrup) Since the Juice Beauty serums are thinner (more watery)should they go on first? I used this serum today more like a toner.
natefan87
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:25 pm      Reply with quote
I am a big PC fan but I don't really care much for this product. To me, it's no better than any of her other toners and nothing sets it apart enough to warrant a special (i.e., "Cinical") categorization.

It does have a lot of good ingredients though, so you're not hurting anything. I just think her old Redness Relief Tx was much better.
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:37 pm      Reply with quote
I am surprised why Paula would want to call Butylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol slip agents and not solvents,as that's what they really are ( they do provide slip)...

Propylene Glycol has been shown to decrease cell division, if I remember correctly.. n there is a lot of PG in this product...

I am sorry bullet if I ruined your excitment Neutral
bullet875
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:03 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
I am surprised why Paula would want to call Butylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol slip agents and not solvents,as that's what they really are ( they do provide slip)...

Propylene Glycol has been shown to decrease cell division, if I remember correctly.. n there is a lot of PG in this product...

Sad
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:56 pm      Reply with quote
bullet875 wrote:
daler wrote:

Sad

on the positive side, Paula is careful about ingredients in her products, AFAIK.. so may be propylene glycol is not as bad....
bullet875
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:17 am      Reply with quote
I've been using this for about a week because I decided that I would use this up and then buy some pure oat beta glucan, but I did look up propylene glycol on the 'Net and I've read competing info. Paula says that the whole "it's bad for your skin" is a myth...so now I'm really confused! I read a couple of sites with info from doctors who have said the same thing, but then again, there are doctors out there saying how bad it is for you.

On the positive side, the combination I am using seems to be doing something...skin looks slightly firmer and my dark spots are fading!
bellabambiiina
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:05 pm      Reply with quote
bullet875 wrote:
I've been using this for about a week because I decided that I would use this up and then buy some pure oat beta glucan, but I did look up propylene glycol on the 'Net and I've read competing info. Paula says that the whole "it's bad for your skin" is a myth...so now I'm really confused! I read a couple of sites with info from doctors who have said the same thing, but then again, there are doctors out there saying how bad it is for you.

On the positive side, the combination I am using seems to be doing something...skin looks slightly firmer and my dark spots are fading!

I dont want to "dis" Paula as I feel much of her work is very good. However, I think there are many topics on which she is plain old WRONG. This could possibly be one of them.

I dont like many of her formulations as they have excessive quantities of silicones.
VeronicaM
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:57 pm      Reply with quote
I recently got a sample of this product when I ordered some of Paula's cleansers.
bullet875
10% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:36 am      Reply with quote
VeronicaM wrote:
I recently got a sample of this product when I ordered some of Paula's cleansers.

Did you try it? I actually like this, but the propylene glycol <sp?>issue scares me!
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:23 am      Reply with quote
ADDENDUM for PROPYLENE GLYCOL
Supplement to the 1997 Toxicological Profile for Propylene Glycol

2.2.3 Dermal Exposure

Dermal exposure to propylene glycol may occur during activities such as changing antifreeze, but it is very unlikely that any adverse health effects would occur. Propylene glycol toxicity is low because of bio-transformation, and it is unlikely to cause adverse health effects at these exposure levels. Dermal exposure to creams containing propylene glycol (20%) has been shown to be beneficial under certain circumstances. For example, a fatty cream (Locobase, R and Diprobase R) containing propylene glycol was found to be effective in a dermal disease which is generalized scaling of the skin (Lamellar ichthyosis). While hyperkeratosis (thickening of the horny layer of the epidermis or mucous membrane) and xerosis (dryness of the skin) were reduced, there was slight irritation and an adverse effect on the epidermal barrier function [Gånemo et al. 1999]. Similarly, propylene glycol in an excipient mixture was found to enhance the permeation of estradiol in-vitro across hairless skin [Irion, G.D. et. al., 1995]. Another study using propylene glycol in a vehicle mixture showed an enhanced lipophilicity and permeation of erythromycin to combat acne vulgaris [Matschiner, S. et. al., 1995]. Moreover, study concerning allogenic skin grafts showed that when skin is immersed in an 85% solution of propylene glycol that water activity was reduced. A reduced skin water activity of 0.3 is known to minimize lipid peroxidation and reduce other degradation reaction rates to very low levels.

Allergy to vehicle ingredients in topical steroids is well known, however, there are no data regarding which vehicle ingredients are in common use, or which vehicle and active molecules are associated with the ingredients. Propylene glycol is a vehicle ingredient that is used in topical corticosteroid and is a well know allergen. Dermatologists should be aware of the possibility of vehicle ingredients that induce contact dermatitis and should avoid prescribing agents which have these potentially allergenic vehicle ingredients [Coloe, J and Zirwas, M J, 2008].

Although propylene glycol is a very weak sensitizer, if it is at all, propylene glycol containing products might be associated with an elevated risk of sensitization. For example, allergic contact dermatitis due to propylene glycol and parabens in an ultrasonic gel has been reported. Patch tests with an expanded European standard series and 20 different wound dressings showed sensitization in 78% (36) of patients, while 8.3% (3) of patients were sensitized to propylene glycol in modern wound dressings [Gallenkemper, G, 1998].

2.4 RELEVANCE TO PUBLIC HEALTH: Minimal Risk Levels

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/propylene_glycol_addendum.pdf

Final Report on the Safety Assessment of Propylene Glycol and Polypropylene Glycols (International Journal of Toxicology)
Abstract

Propylene Glycol is an aliphatic alcohol manufactured as a reaction product of propylene oxide and water. Polypropylene Glycol is a polymer formed by adding propylene oxide to dipropylene glycol. Propylene Glycol is reportedly used as a skin-conditioning agent-humectant, solvent, viscosity-decreasing agent, and humectant in thousands of cosmetic formulations. Polypropylene Glycols of various polymer lengths are reportedly used as miscellaneous skin-conditioning agents in far fewer formulations. Acute, subchronic, and short-term animal studies suggested little toxicity beyond slight growth and body weight decreases. Little ocular or skin irritation was observed in animal studies, and no sensitization was seen. Small increases in fetal malformations were seen in mice injected subcutaneously with Propylene Glycol, but a continuous breeding reproduction study in mice showed no reproductive toxicity following oral administration. A wide range of mutagenesis assays were negative, and studies in mice and rats showed no evidence of carcinogenesis. Clinical data showed skin irritation and sensitization reactions in Propylene Glycol in normal subjects at concentrations as low as 10% under occlusive conditions and dermatitis patients at concentrations as low as 2%. A careful evaluation of skin irritation and sensitization data as a function of disease state of the individual, occlusion, and concentration was done. On the basis of that analysis, it is concluded that Propylene Glycol and Polypropylene Glycol are safe for use in cosmetic products at concentrations up to 50%.

http://ijt.sagepub.com/content/13/6/437.short

I don't understand why anyone would think Propylene Glycol isn't considered generally safe.

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:28 am      Reply with quote
Lacy53 wrote:

I don't understand why anyone would think Propylene Glycol isn't considered generally safe.

http://www.nature.com/pr/journal/v71/n1/fig_tab/pr201112f6.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10048145

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/417454

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.2042-7158.1987.tb06258.x/abstract

Why use PG when one doesnt have to, particularly in a high %...
Lacy53
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:30 pm      Reply with quote
daler wrote:
Lacy53 wrote:

Those studies all relate to PG used as a solvent for intravenous injects or are laboratory cell studies, not topical use (as far as I can tell).

20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:36 pm      Reply with quote
Lacy53 wrote:
daler wrote:
Lacy53 wrote:

Those studies all relate to PG used as a solvent for intravenous injects or are laboratory cell studies, not topical use (as far as I can tell).

well, u know, whatever we apply on our skin does find its way inside us, especially solvents.

I would rather be safe than sorry, especially when it's not even needed and many alternatives available. But others feel free to use it if they want to, I just wanted to give my 2 cents.
System
Automatic Message
Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:17 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Resurfacing Micro-Exfoliant (90 ml) Dr Dennis Gross B³Adaptive SuperFoods™ Stress Repair Face Cream (60 ml / 2.0 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |