Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

IS Clinical C Eye Serum Advance+ (15 ml / 0.5 floz) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml) Luzern Serum Absolut Firming Booster (30 ml / 1 floz)
Possible Poisioning Symptoms From Retin A...
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
Joseph2204
5% products discount

Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:29 pm      Reply with quote
A few months ago I purchased Retino A Cream (produced from Johnsons & Johnsons in India) from an online pharmacy known as 4NRX , the product was fine for a few months but lately the effects don't feel the same .

I have been receiving pain within my intestines , kidneys and belly button . I have had splitting headaches , depression and is constantly fatigued . I use the cream twice a day and if it helps I am an male smoker .

For quite a while I have been searching for an alternative but the alternatives are not as effective which include Vitamin C serums and glycolic creams .

Can anyone explain why I have been receiving these symptoms lately? , is it an possibility that the product has expired? or could it be mecury poisoning ? I am really confused tbf.
bethany
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:20 pm      Reply with quote
How much of your body are you using this on? If just your face, I would think that poisoning is highly unlikely.

Btw, Have you stopped using it? Also, it should only be used at night.

Here are some articles on toxicity.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-a/NS_patient-vitamina/DSECTION=safety

http://vitaminaoverdose.net/

5% products discount

Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:52 pm      Reply with quote
It's just on my face and I have stopped using temporarily as I ordered a new one (same brand)which will take a while to arrive . I don't understand why it affects my organs as I heard about side effects towards the skin but rarely anything about depression , headaches or kidney/intestine pains .

Either its a poor brand that may place mercury within their retin a cream or I have an allergy to Retin A . Nevertheless I might as well buy the more expensive brands to prevent these side effects.

I also find using at just night isn't effective at all and using it both day and night keeps the skin healthy . I am using the 0.05 strength btw .
daler
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:52 pm      Reply with quote
not that it would have impact on ur organs, but u must wear sunblock everyday while using retin A.

.05% twice a day?? u must have v tough skin...
Joseph2204
5% products discount

Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:00 pm      Reply with quote
My skincare regime is quite intense haha.

I do facial exercises twice a day

Products Used :

Morning
---------

Olay Regenerist Cleanser
Garnier 3 in 1 Face Wash

Followed by Skin Doctors Skin Resurfacing Cream , Sun Block , Jurgen Naturals Firming Cream with Collagen and Elastin , Organic Rosehip and Argan Oil Cream , Lorel Youth Code Serum , Loreal Collagen Cream and ofc Retin A Cream 0.05% .

Same in the evening

I know it sounds like a lot! but my skin has aged a lot and these creams do help a lot . If I am making any mistakes feel free to say. I am 22 years old and I don't think its fair for me to through all this and I don't know the causes of my skin aging a lot other than maybe smoking.

Weird thing is... my skin doesn't go red or doesn't peel and show any signs of sensitivity other than fine lines under my eyebags when I have lack of sleep . If I do miss Retin A in the morning I don't feel I get the benefits from it.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:30 pm      Reply with quote
Why are you presuming that it is the Retin-A that is causing your symptoms? They could be caused by any number of things. It would be best to see a doctor and get a check-up instead of second guessing. All the best Very Happy

10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:50 am      Reply with quote
That is a LOT of product, on top of using Retin-A twice a day EVERY day, especially for a 22 year-old! Sometimes simplicity is the best way to go, and I've found it's good to give your skin a day or two a week to "breathe."

I used to overdo it and want to use every amazing product I'd heard about, but I've truly found that simplifying it has made the biggest impact on my skin. Just throwing my 2 cents out there...

If you're feeling ill, you definitely should go to a doctor and/or a dermatologist as well, and see what they think.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:56 am      Reply with quote
You might be overstressing your skin and face with that regime. I know most derms do not recommend retin A twice a day - and say its best to use at night. Especially as you are only 22, and your hormones etc are still going through te motions and changing.

Same with facial exercises (unless you are doing Facercise which is recommended twice a day), you don't need to do them 2 times, sometimes the real work or magic when you do facial exercises is when the muscles start to repair and heal up, and if you are doing them again when they are trying to heal and become stronger you interrupt that and stop yourself getting maximum results.

Why also do you use a lot of cleansers in the morning? That may be stripping your skin of things too which isn't so good for skin.

The trouble with using so much products is that it causes your body to be lazy and not have good skin and rely on the ingredients. It should all be about prevention at your age, and Retin A is a medication after all with good reason. You also want to ensure if you are smoking that you are giving your body the nutrients - smoking depletes your body of Vit C, and so you want to be taking that to ensure your skin has that to stay healthy too.

Tessie
Joseph2204
5% products discount

Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:06 am      Reply with quote
I honestly thought being 22 is old , I must admit I do feel very ill most of the time and it could be caused by the chemical overload of all these products but TheresaMary your right! I am very likely to be lacking in Vitamin C , I remember when I used to take them in tablet form and I used to feel really healthy and I assumed once you hit 21 that's it puberty has finally finished which may explain why I still feel down for no reason at times.

The Retin A has caused me hairloss and I do facercise btw . I think if I stick to Facercise and loads of Vitamin C it may reduce the need for using so much Retin A and hopefully allow me to cut down on products . Thank you guys Smile.
Holmes
10% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:20 am      Reply with quote
I fell for all the hype about Youth Code when it first came out, but had to stop using it as it gave me lots of criss-cross lines under the eyes.
Keliu
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:23 am      Reply with quote
Joseph2204 wrote:
I honestly thought being 22 is old , I must admit I do feel very ill most of the time and it could be caused by the chemical overload of all these products but TheresaMary your right! I am very likely to be lacking in Vitamin C , I remember when I used to take them in tablet form and I used to feel really healthy and I assumed once you hit 21 that's it puberty has finally finished which may explain why I still feel down for no reason at times.

The Retin A has caused me hairloss and I do facercise btw . I think if I stick to Facercise and loads of Vitamin C it may reduce the need for using so much Retin A and hopefully allow me to cut down on products . Thank you guys Smile.

Vitamin C will not replace Vitamin A. That's like saying oranges replace apples. Why exactly are you using Retin-A? Do you have troubled skin? IMO you are two young to be using Retin-A for anti-aging purposes - and twice a day is definitely over-kill. Retin-A is only supposed to be used at night because it is best used when you are not exposed to the sun.

Why do you say Retin-A has caused you hair loss? Seriously, if you feel ill most of the time, you need to seek professional health - get some blood tests done etc.

And if you think 22 is old - what are you going to think when you're my age!! I certainly hope you're not going to stress about being old for the next 40 years - life's too short!

20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:34 am      Reply with quote
Just to be clear, I'm with Keliu on this one, Vit C is not a replacement for Vitamin A, but with you being a smoker we know that's likely to be depleted in your body.

22 isn’t old, try being 60 plus. If you are feeling ill most of the time then I would speak with a doctor because its possible that there is something going on with your body that may be out of balance. Vit C is something that the body needs to have a healthy immune system (and if you feel ill most of the time then you may be lacking it), but its not the only one.

How do you know it’s the Retin A that’s caused the hairloss? Who prescribed the Retin A to you? Retin A is in essence an acid, so using it twice a day isn’t the best move and will no doubt stress out your body, and you will be going through loads of it using it that much. Even the pros don’t advise that, so I really think that you are doing way too much too soon.
Joseph2204
5% products discount

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:44 am      Reply with quote
I think my best bet is too see the doctor and btw I swear Retin A is very effective for my skin but my best chances are to cut down on Retin A and quit smoking . I think its unfair my peers can drink and smoke all the time yet look great and feel great though they do have episodes of depression hence the reliance on drugs . Oh the joys of being young haha.

As for hair loss , it has to be caused by extreme anxiety especially with me graduating and expecting to drive soon and getting job yet I have to battle Body Dysmorphic Disorder which is diagnosed btw.
TheresaMary
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:52 am      Reply with quote
What makes you think its effective for your skin out of interest? You see the purpose of Retin A originally was an acne medication, and you’ve not mentioned suffering from that. Plus at being only 22 years old, you are not likely to be undoing major sagging or wrinkles so it may be a waste of your money. I do know for sure that using it 2x a day is a no no for most people, young and old.

Not everyone is able to smoke and drink all the time and feel and look great though. Be realistic here kiddo. You said before that the Retin A was the cause of your hair loss, but now you think its extreme anxiety. I think you should speak with a doctor and find out for sure. Hair loss can be due to issues with the thyroid for example, and so its best to have a sit down with them and discuss this issue just to be extra safe.
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:11 pm      Reply with quote
STOP SMOKING!
Needl
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:20 pm      Reply with quote
I've just had an absolutely horrific experience with A-Ret (tretinoin cream). I used the mildest (.025) and put it sparingly over my face and chest/throat. The next day both were a bit red and stingy. The face healed up ok by the next day, but my throat and chest were blotchy and extremely, horribly itchy for 10 days, just starting to improve. Now that's real downtime! Putting sunblock on to go out and then rinsing it off with a cleansing foam gave me another itchy/blotchy relapse. I'm so scared of that stuff now, can't even use sunblock or any other product on my throat and chest (wearing ugly men's shirts when I go out!)
panoslydios
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:34 am      Reply with quote
I have warned you multiple times about using concetrated forms of vitamins on face.
Because they are industrial byproducts and nothing more.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:46 am      Reply with quote
Joseph,

HAIR LOSS can be caused by too much Vitamin A, for goodness sake! Stop using tretinoin twice daily. The levels of tretinion stay in your skin for 24 hours, so you are indeed overdosing yourself.

Rather than suspecting mercury or another ingredient, I'd suspect you are creating a toxicity by using too much Vitamin A.

See a doctor, but stop the tretinoin altogether for a few weeks. Then, when you restart, do so gradually and build up frequency slowly, and use it only once per day at the most.

Next time, see a doctor first and post here for medical advice second. Seriously.
chantrelle99
10% products discount
free skin care

Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:10 am      Reply with quote
Joseph,

You are almost the same age as my son... If my son would report the same kind of symptoms, your are reporting, I'd urge him to see a Dr. ASAP.

So go see a Dr. ASAP !

You state that you have to battle Body Dysmorphic Disorder. Are you seeking help about this ? If not try to get some help with this.

Best of luck and take care,

Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:38 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Sjal Orbe Eye Contour Cream (15 ml / 0.5 oz) Coola Sunless Tan Express Sculpting Mousse (207 ml / 7.0 floz) Cosmedix Eye Genius Brilliant Eye Complex (7 ml / 0.25 floz)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA Skin® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |