Shop with us!!! We sell the most advanced skin care anti-aging cosmetics on the market: cellex-c, phytomer, sothys, dermalogica, md formulations, decleor, valmont, kinerase, yonka, jane iredale, thalgo, yon-ka, ahava, bioelements, jan marini, peter thomas roth, murad, ddf, orlane, glominerals, StriVectin SD.

back to skin care discussion board front page with forums indexEDS Skin Care Forums Search the ForumSearch Most popular all-time Forum TopicsHot! Library
 Guidelines  FAQ  Register
Free gifts for Forum MembersForum Gifts Free Gifts offers at Essential Day SpaFree Gifts Offers  Log in

Anyone tried an elimination diet and notice impacts on skin?
EDS Skin Care Forums Forum Index » Skin Care and Makeup Forum
Reply to topic
papertiger
5% products discount

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:36 pm      Reply with quote
I was wondering if anyone here has gone on an elimination diet and successfully identified some food of food group that was ... irritating or problematic in some way. And if eliminating that food has made any difference to your skin. I feel like my health has a big impact on my skin but I've tried the basic improving diet and exercise but haven't seen as much change in my skin as I would like. I was wondering if maybe it's something beyond just the standard improvements in health and something more specialized.

I guess I'm just wondering if anyone here has had experience with elimination diets and improvements in their skin. Confused
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:02 pm      Reply with quote
Yes, discovered I was allergic to peanuts and had celiac disease (can't do gluten) the same year, face went from disaster to nice skin in less than four weeks.

20% products discount
free skin care

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:14 pm      Reply with quote
I am going to eliminate acidic foods (including wine) and hope to have decreased redness.

5% products discount

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:40 pm      Reply with quote
Ava with wings wrote:
Yes, discovered I was allergic to peanuts and had celiac disease (can't do gluten) the same year, face went from disaster to nice skin in less than four weeks.

Wow, that's amazing that it made such a difference to your skin! This is kind of what I'm hoping for, just the discovering some small change (though giving up gluten and trying to find food free of either must be difficult) that will make that big of a difference. How did you discover the peanut allergy and celiac?
papertiger
5% products discount

Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:49 pm      Reply with quote
bethany wrote:
I am going to eliminate acidic foods (including wine) and hope to have decreased redness.

Redness is something I'm hoping to reduce. That and dark under eye circles and skin dullness. Is there a reason you selected acidic foods instead of something else to decrease redness? I don't have celiac and I'm trying to remove each high-FODMAP food group to see if it makes a difference.
Ava with wings
Preferred Member
15% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:38 pm      Reply with quote
My mom was allergic to peanuts, so that was the first to go. My back and jawline acne cleared up then. Fast forward a while and I read that a digestive disorder I've had my whole life, Ulcerative Colitis, can in rare instances be an incorrect diagnosis for Celiac disease. I was bleeding profusely for nearly four weeks at this time and was pretty desperate to get out of having a colonoscopy, so I cut out gluten. Bleeding stopped in around a week, energy skyrocketed. Rest of face blotches cleared up. The official Celiac disease seal of approval came a few months later when my doctor wanted to know how the heck I stopped bleeding without prednisone and ASA medication.
Honestly giving up gluten is the easiest thing ever if you live in a city of any significant size. I had a gluten free chocolate muffin and gluten free slice of pizza from a food truck for lunch today at work. It'd be far more difficult to be a vegetarian in today's day and age.
As for the wine, redness is often mild rosacea- super common in Celtic populations such as myself. Its not the acid, its the change in blood vessels the alcohol causes. My face flushes when I drink it (but beer is my poison instead of wine), and my mother, who died an alcoholic, spent the last five years of her life with a bright red face. She was a beautiful woman before- something I've kept in the back of my mind struggling with my own alcoholism my whole life.
LOL this post is probably the most open I've ever been, apologies if it was way TMI!! Laughing

20% products discount
free skin care

Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:45 pm      Reply with quote
papertiger wrote:
bethany wrote:

Redness is something I'm hoping to reduce. That and dark under eye circles and skin dullness. Is there a reason you selected acidic foods instead of something else to decrease redness? I don't have celiac and I'm trying to remove each high-FODMAP food group to see if it makes a difference.

No reason in particular that I picked acidic foods, other than that I also drink too much Diet Coke. And carbs, sigh.

15% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:31 am      Reply with quote
Ava with wings wrote:
My mom was allergic to peanuts, so that was the first to go. My back and jawline acne cleared up then. Fast forward a while and I read that a digestive disorder I've had my whole life, Ulcerative Colitis, can in rare instances be an incorrect diagnosis for Celiac disease. I was bleeding profusely for nearly four weeks at this time and was pretty desperate to get out of having a colonoscopy, so I cut out gluten. Bleeding stopped in around a week, energy skyrocketed. Rest of face blotches cleared up. The official Celiac disease seal of approval came a few months later when my doctor wanted to know how the heck I stopped bleeding without prednisone and ASA medication.
Honestly giving up gluten is the easiest thing ever if you live in a city of any significant size. I had a gluten free chocolate muffin and gluten free slice of pizza from a food truck for lunch today at work. It'd be far more difficult to be a vegetarian in today's day and age.
As for the wine, redness is often mild rosacea- super common in Celtic populations such as myself. Its not the acid, its the change in blood vessels the alcohol causes. My face flushes when I drink it (but beer is my poison instead of wine), and my mother, who died an alcoholic, spent the last five years of her life with a bright red face. She was a beautiful woman before- something I've kept in the back of my mind struggling with my own alcoholism my whole life.
LOL this post is probably the most open I've ever been, apologies if it was way TMI!! Laughing

* spam alert * can indeed wreak havoc on your looks. I know a bit about that, too. Good on you for getting ahead of it! Not TMI. Sometimes we just need to let it out a little bit. Go, Ava, go! Very Happy
Idealist
10% products discount
free skin care

Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:42 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for your story Ava. * spam alert * is something that touches nearly all of us during our lives some way or other. I can't begin to imagine what you experienced with your Mum, but it's wonderful you're fighting. Lifelong, but worth it!

My life was also changed by cutting out gluten. I always had puffy eyes, face, bloated body (despite being slim, the fluid was uncomfortable). Within days of stopping eating gluten my migraines diminished somewhat (though are still an ongoing problem, just not as bad), and my facial and body bloating just got pee'd away! It was strange. I was so much smaller suddenly. And so much better feeling. My murky swampy brain finally cleared. And I look a million times more healthy. I looked ill. Pale, sickly, puffy. Now I only swell up if I accidentally get some gluten when travelling and eating out. I wake up puffy. My clothes get tight. Eating gluten free has encouraged a healthy diet anyway, and cut down dramatically on the cravings I used to have for carbs. They have disappeared entirely. I do best on a diet of lots of healthy fats, including butter and anything from a 'whole source, small portions of organic free range protein, veges, and lots of berries and other not too sugary fruits and plain full fat yoghurt. Not saying this is good for everyone, but my mood lifted a lot since I started eating a lot of good fats (and I got slimmer though without trying), as well as got much clearer, less irritated stronger skin. Anyway, now mine is too much info probably!
SoftSkin
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:16 pm      Reply with quote
Gluten free gave me eczema. My weight stayed pretty much the same which was surprising since I ate more candy since I couldn't have cookies or donuts or brownies. I'd have been better off eating whole grain bread and none of the candy.

But maybe it was a coincidence. Laughing
sister sweets
VIP Member
20% products discount
free skin care

Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:14 pm      Reply with quote
Yubs wrote:
Ava with wings wrote:

* spam alert * can indeed wreak havoc on your looks. I know a bit about that, too. Good on you for getting ahead of it! Not TMI. Sometimes we just need to let it out a little bit. Go, Ava, go! Very Happy

I second that. Go Ava Go!

5% products discount

Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:59 pm      Reply with quote
Thanks for sharing your story Ava. In no way was it TMI, it's almost always good to open up.

Idealist wrote:
My life was also changed by cutting out gluten. I always had puffy eyes, face, bloated body (despite being slim, the fluid was uncomfortable). Within days of stopping eating gluten my migraines diminished somewhat (though are still an ongoing problem, just not as bad), and my facial and body bloating just got pee'd away! It was strange. I was so much smaller suddenly. And so much better feeling. My murky swampy brain finally cleared. And I look a million times more healthy. I looked ill. Pale, sickly, puffy. Now I only swell up if I accidentally get some gluten when travelling and eating out. I wake up puffy. My clothes get tight. Eating gluten free has encouraged a healthy diet anyway, and cut down dramatically on the cravings I used to have for carbs. They have disappeared entirely. I do best on a diet of lots of healthy fats, including butter and anything from a 'whole source, small portions of organic free range protein, veges, and lots of berries and other not too sugary fruits and plain full fat yoghurt. Not saying this is good for everyone, but my mood lifted a lot since I started eating a lot of good fats (and I got slimmer though without trying), as well as got much clearer, less irritated stronger skin. Anyway, now mine is too much info probably!

Glad gluten free worked out for you! It's inspiring to hear how diet changes that are beyond "eat more veggies" can make such a difference. I hope I see similar results one day - I just have to find which food/foods are causing me to look and feel unhealthy.
Idealist
10% products discount
free skin care

Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:51 am      Reply with quote
SoftSkin wrote:
Gluten free gave me eczema. My weight stayed pretty much the same which was surprising since I ate more candy since I couldn't have cookies or donuts or brownies. I'd have been better off eating whole grain bread and none of the candy.

But maybe it was a coincidence. Laughing

Lol SoftSkin! I can see the temptation to exchange one for the other. Interestingly, I get an exzema like blistery rash on my fingers from too much sugar or alcohol. It's terrible. So needless to say its a very occasional thing for me. Oh well, keeps me healthy.

Unfortunately I don't have a choice with the gluten due to being a celiac like my dad (we share a few immune disorders). I don't necessarily agree that cutting out whole food groups is necessary or healthy if you don't have to. It's also highly inconvenient. However people with certain health issues have shown improvement cutting out things such as too much sugar, and gluten. But who knows if that is just because they suddenly started eating more whole foods? I think just eating as healthily as you can with as much variety as possible, without depriving yourself is a nice way to do it. If you are unwell, by all means try cutting out the usual suspects, gluten, soy, dairy for a while then adding them in one at a time to watch for a reaction. You should be ableto notice if something is making you sick after a few weeks off it. Often my husband will be able to know I've been glistened in the morning before I'meven awake by the way I look Shock . Pretty much like a truck hit me. Everyone reacts differently though.
System
Automatic Message
Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:10 pm
If this is your first visit to the EDS Forums please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, participate in Gift Certificates draws and enjoy automatic discounts for shopping at our online store. Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete.

Click Here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login to gain full access to the site.

Reply to topic

Skin Biology CP Ultimate Eye Cream (14.2 g / 0.5 oz) Shira Nutriburst Illuminator Booster (30 ml) Pro-Derm Eye Contour Cream (20 ml)

Shop at Essential Day Spa

©1983-2024 Essential Day Spa & Skin Care Store |  Forum Index |  Site Index |  Product Index |  Newest TOPICS RSS feed  |  Newest POSTS RSS feed

Advanced Skin Technology |  Ageless Secret |  Ahava |  AlphaDerma |  Amazing Cosmetics |  Amino Genesis |  Anthony |  Aromatherapy Associates |  Astara |  B Kamins |  Babor |  Barielle |  Benir Beauty |  Billion Dollar Brows |  Bioelements |  Blinc |  Bremenn Clinical |  Caudalie |  Cellcosmet |  Cellex-C |  Cellular Skin Rx |  Clarisonic |  Clark's Botanicals |  Comodynes |  Coola |  Cosmedix |  DDF |  Dermalogica |  Dermasuri |  Dermatix |  DeVita |  Donell |  Dr Dennis Gross |  Dr Hauschka |  Dr Renaud |  Dremu Oil |  EmerginC |  Eminence Organics |  Fake Bake |  Furlesse |  Fusion Beauty |  Gehwol |  Glo Skin Beauty |  GlyMed Plus |  Go Smile |  Grandpa's |  Green Cream |  Hue Cosmetics |  HydroPeptide |  Hylexin |  Institut Esthederm |  IS Clinical |  Jan Marini |  Janson-Beckett |  Juara |  Juice Beauty |  Julie Hewett |  June Jacobs |  Juvena |  KaplanMD |  Karin Herzog |  Kimberly Sayer |  Lifeline |  Luzern |  M.A.D Skincare |  Mary Cohr |  Me Power |  Nailtiques |  Neurotris |  Nia24 |  NuFace |  Obagi |  Orlane |  Osea |  Osmotics |  Payot |  PCA SkinĀ® |  Personal MicroDerm |  Peter Thomas Roth |  Pevonia |  PFB Vanish |  pH Advantage |  Phyto |  Phyto-C |  Phytomer |  Princereigns |  Priori |  Pro-Derm |  PSF Pure Skin Formulations |  RapidLash |  Raquel Welch |  RejudiCare Synergy |  Revale Skin |  Revision Skincare |  RevitaLash |  Rosebud |  Russell Organics |  Shira |  Silver Miracles |  Sjal |  Skeyndor |  Skin Biology |  Skin Source |  Skincerity / Nucerity |  Sothys |  St. Tropez |  StriVectin |  Suki |  Sundari |  Swissline |  Tend Skin |  Thalgo |  Tweezerman |  Valmont |  Vie Collection |  Vivier |  Yonka |  Yu-Be |  --Discontinued |